Hello citizens of the PMC!
As the title says, in this 'blog' I'll review, and share my thoughts and other things about the FTB mod pack!!
What is the FTB mod pack?
"Feed the Beast, also known as FTB, originated as a custom challenge map in Minecraft that made heavy use of multiple tech mods."*
"The mod pack used for the map then became very popular and soon evolved into many other packs including lite, ultimate and tech world." *
The "Feed the Beast" modpack started form a map, similar to Skyblock, which had many upgrades to it. The modpack became quite popular as time past, and then split into many other modpacks.
*Both quotes are taken from the official ftb website, which you can find the link to in the 'useful links' section
The different packs:
The FTB launcher has alot of modpacks to choose and play. In this section I'll showcase some of them:
Crack your mind with the Mindcrack pack!
The mindcrack pack, obviously played by... the mindcrack server. It has many mods that add so much to the
game, such as IndustrialCraft, Thaumcraft, and Buildcraft.
Although, there is a 'catch'. Some may find it good and some will find it very bad:
Gregtech. It is an add on to IndustrialCraft2, and it add alot of machines, but changes alot of them too.
I.E. the macerator recipe need 3 diamonds to make with Gregtech, while normally it doesn't take even one.
It's not a bad mod though! some people could find it very challenging and fun, when you're not having a walk in the park.
"taaaake it easy!" the direwolf20 modpack:
Don't like the hard recipes from Gregtech? That's the place for you.
The direwolf20 pack has many shared mods with the Mindcrack pack, such as IC2, Buildcraft, Thaumcraft, etc.
It also has some more amazing mods, like Mystcraft (create your own dimensions!) or Modular Power Suits (make your own customize able dream suit, for a reasonable amount of resources!)
Other pack reviews will come in the future.
But... But.. Where do I download it? how to install?
The link to the FTB's official site will be in the useful links section, at the end of the post.
I do highly recommend to download it, and at least give it a try!
• Download the launcher from the official site. (link will be in useful links section) I suggest downloading the .exe launcher, but it's your choice!
• Navigate to the place where you downloaded the file, and open the launcher.
• Select the Mod pack you'd like to play (Personally, I like the direwolf20 and mindcrack packs the most)
• Now select the options tab, and in the "install folder..." box put where you want to install your mod (I suggest putting it on your desktop or the .minecraft folder in AppData).
• On the bottom right there's a box called "Select Profile". Click the arrow near it, and select "Create Profile".
• Put your real minecraft username and password, and the profile name could be anything you want. Then click "Add".
• Press the "Launch" button, wait for it to download the mod pack, then enjoy the game!
Ok... The game's working, but it's soooooo complicated!! where do I start from??
There's a few things you can do:
• Play with The wiki site open (I don't think that's the most fun option, but you can do it)
• Watch An LP on youtube.
• Learn the game by yourself! NEI can show you recipes and other useful stuff!
My thought about FTB:
I think FTB is amazing. It's fun, and there's so much stuff to try, mine, and learn!
It reminds me of when I just started minecraft, and discovering new things was the whole fun about it! :)
Of course, I'm not a 'master' of it, in fact, I don't know much about it at all! all I know is a bit of BuildCraft, Industrial Craft, and Twilight forest. As I said before, I do highly recommend downloading and trying the mod pack.
Of course there are FTB servers, and there are a few on PMC you can find and play.
Even though it's a blog, and not a server, I do have a small, private server you can play, and learn FTB from!
It's hosted at my home, so it's a bit laggy and not up 24/7, but it's a different experience than all the big servers!
If you'd like to join it, please comment or send me a PM with your minecraft IGN, and I'll whitelist you!
Hope to see you there :)
This pack is missing this mod called *insert mod name here*.. can I add it?
Yes, you can! here are the steps:
Note: make sure you download the mod for the current modpack version, it might not always be the latest one.
1. Open the launcher
2. Click 'Edit Mod Pack'
3. Click 'Add Mod' on the bottom right
4. Choose your mod's .zip file, the press 'Open'
5. Launch the game as usual, and there you go!
What mods should be added?
Of course everyone has it's own opinion, but here are mods I think should be added in to this mod pack:
• Aether mod - I don't have many experience with this mod, but from what I've seen it's awesome, and should be added! :D
• Optifine - many people need that to reduce lags, customize things and also the epic zoom!
• Mo' Creatures - I think ftb (the overworld, at least) is missing some mobs... so I chose the nice and popular mod that adds cool mobs, but basically it could be any mod as long as it's good.
I'll possibly will be adding more mods in the future!
• Capes mod - it's kind of optional, but I think it'll be awesome to see everyone with different capes when you go to a server... :D
Hope this blog helps you understand more about the FTB mod pack, and convince you to download it! :D
If you have any suggestion, or you'd like to give any feedback, please do in the comments!