Forum Role-playing for Dummies!
263Views, 1 today
Get Embed Code
Level 16 : Journeyman Pirate
Posted 03/23/12 1:28:43 pm , last updated: 03/25/12 1:20:15 pm
Rules of RPing!:
1. Talk in Third person. If you don't know what that is, then think of it this way: Don't RP like "I wonder where I am. *Scott looked around*. A good RP is saying "'I wonder where I am' Scott said, while looking around.
2. Spelling. Spelling is what makes, or breaks you as an RPer. Use at least 5th grade level spelling, or just google words, and they will spell check for you.
3. "NOT A SERVER RP". Follow that rule. If you see that in the first post, then here is what you do NOT say: "whats the ip?" or "y u no use server rp you noob". Forum RPs are better (In my opinion) because they let imaginations fluster, thinking of the locations and what is going on.
4. Don't Metagame, which is knowing the entire story and what will happen, don't God-Mod, which is doing the impossible (I.E. Player 1: Good guy punches bad guy in the stomach. Player 2: Bad Guy catches the punch, throws Good Guy in the air and cuts him in half with his bare hands) Don't Bunny. (Take control of other player's characters.) Don't make your character perfect.
5. When talking to people, (Not characters in the RP sense) go like this ((Yea BlackFTW, You RP like a barbie))
Tips and Tricks:
1. Use great RPers as examples, like iHazRabiez, BlackFTW, BlackRoseO, Clue, Jackattack4000, or pokemonboy100. Those are some of the best forum RPers. I'm not the best RPer, so, if your just starting out, you can use me as a goal on what you want to at least seem like.
2. Read Books. This may seem like a weird tip, but books use the same format as RPing, only things aren't live. It makes good sense, too! It helps a lot with spelling, and flustering imagination.
3. Don't act like your the best RPer in the world by never changing your character. A good example of this, is to create a character named "Billy Joe Green" and he would be a nice guy in every single RP. I create some good guys, and some bad guys. I do like playing a bad guy more, because I can flesh out their personality better, but me being a good guy in real life makes me want to sometimes be a good guy.
4. Learn the Mentalies. Most villains never know that they are doing bad (In real life, anyways). Take for example, Qin Shi Huang, an emperor of China. He never knew that he was doing bad. He killed many people to take full control of China, but for a reason. He knew that every city had different laws and money so he thought "If we all had the same laws and money, people would stop fighting each other". True. He stopped China from going into Civil war, and he built the great wall of China too! He would kill his workers, though, because he wanted them to go faster, because of the Huns invading. The great wall saved all of the civilians from total and utter annihilation!
Thanks for reading my blog! If you want, you could post a question about RPing, RPers, or just in general, and I will try to answer it! I might edit in another section on a backstory, if this picks up enough steam!
Update #2 : 03/25/2012 1:20:15 pm3/25/12
Update #1 : 03/23/2012 3:22:11 pm3/23/12
Join us to post comments.