First of all.......
I'm going to be using a basic template. DO NOT FOLLOW ME EXACTLY. You will just end up with the same thing I'm describing, but with different sized buildings.
I, along with many other builders, frequently get asked this question: "Y U SO GOOD? Y AM I NOT AS GUD AS U?"
My first response is to use more proper grammar and spelling.
After that, I will give one of two responses. If that person is being newby and not even TRYING to build stuff, I give them the same response everyone gives someone who asks how to build. I say "just use creativity! Whatever you think looks best will be great!"
This response SOUNDS like great advice. But when you boil it down, it is saying "I don't feel like giving some tips to you. Just keep doing what you are doing and pretend that the advice I gave you was good." This response is fine for giving a placebo effect to the person you are "helping"(i'm abusing quotations in this post, aren't I).
My second response is going to be summed up by this post. If the person is trying, and I see they are struggling, I go over and make ONE or TWO changes, I don't build the thing for them. Once they see what I am getting at with the changes, they usually pick it up quickly and start doing some amazing things to their building.
Now for the how-to part. The photo I have posted is a very general design of my builds. Make sure you make a nice looking roof that is not all one slope. Make sure to make the windows set back one block from the accents you put in the shutter area. Don't make a flat surface. Ever. Or at least not one that is too big, or else it gets kinda insane looking. Here is how to build, very generally, in a step-by-step method.
1. I can only assume you skipped the rest of the post to find this part. If you did, go back and read what I said before. I'd do it. But you missed some important information, and I'm not going to put it in BOLD.
2. Now that you have read it, start by building the front wall. A lot of people make a floor plan first. If it works for them, they can go ahead and do it. But it helps to see what your building is going to look like before you start the depth portion of it.
3. Make a few set-back window designs! By this i mean make a frame for the window, but make sure the window itself is ONE block into the building. Don't make a frame and put the glass in it and be done. Make a design in the frame, and put the glass behind it. Trust me, it works well. Make several types of frames and accents for the glass.
4. Once you have your front pattern, start working on how far back you want the rest of the building to go, and if you want it to make a turn, go ahead and plan that. To see how far back you want to go, EXTEND The roof to the areas you want your building to go(providing it has a roof. If it doesn't, stop reading this post and do something else). This helps tremendously! It allows you to see what your building is going to look like (approximation) before you even build it!
5. Make the walls, and use a different window accent. Make sure everything ties together. We are still on the exterior, don't even start on the interior yet. Step back for a moment. Take a screenshot or two. Get some external feedback on the building at this point. There is still time to change it. Even send a few screenshot to me if you want. It is summer. I have time.
6. Interior. This is the part where I leave the building and never touch it again. DON'T DO THIS. I hate interiors. They scare me. But don't let this happen to you. I have had bad experiences with interiors, don't have these. They make you unable to build them. I have had some help from some people who are amazing with interiors. Their suggestions are to make it look a little like the exterior. But don't make it an exact copy of the exterior, it will look weird. Make sure to make it more flat on the inside. The outside needs plenty of accents, the inside needs much less.
7. Gloat about it! Show it off! Be a jerk about it! You built an amazing building, bug everyone else about how good it is! Post it to planet minecraft! Get on the popular reel! Pass scuttles in levels! Crash the site because everyone is looking at your build! Actually, don't do this. It is unlikely to happen, to anyone. Sorry :)
There you have it! You spent some time, and plenty of effort, and made an amazing building! I'd love to see what you do with this tutorial! If it doesn't work out, just send me a world save or schematic and I'll pimp it out and show you what I mean.
At this point, I'd like to say that if you want to have me pimp out anything you have built, link it to me and diamond this post so I know how many builds I have to pimp out. Leave the link in the comments, and I'll get back to you! Thanks everyone!
And as always,