How to make a building look great
12,382Views, 27 today
Get Embed Code
Level 39 : Artisan Architect
Posted 07/31/12 8:53:51 am
How to make a building look great
Everyday I see a lot of builds who, although they are original, just don’t look good, because of a few simple reasons. And it kind of makes me feel sad. In order to help the ones new to the community or the ones who aren’t as good as they want to be. I will teach you to build great stuff with just 4 steps.
1. Take your space
4. Water and Lava
1. Take your spaceLet me explain this one with an example. Say, you want to build a throne room for your castle. The idea is to make it big, so it will be impressive. What do you do first, you start with an outline of the hall. You think it’s okay and you start building up. You work for a few hours until it’s complete, only to realize that from the inside it isn’t as big as you expected and that with all the furniture and decorations in place it’s rather small.
Now, I know we all have been in such a situation before and with something’s it’s impossible to avoid it. But there are a few tricks to avoid such a situation.
1. Before you start building a house, do the outlines first. So you can feel how big it will be, without having to actually build it yet. An outline is way easier to delete or to move then an actual wall.
2. Put the furniture in the outline to. This will give you a feel of how much space there will be left after you decorated your house.
3. Don’t forget the inside walls. This is a though one because if you were to do this with an outline it wouldn’t work because you wouldn’t see them instead you could place one beam of blocks horizontally through the middle just to fill it up a bit. This step is extremely important because rooms take up quite a lot of space.
4. If you want Redstone leave a lot of space for it. Redstone takes up quite a lot of space, more than you often think you leave space for it in you actual design.
These tricks will help you build the things you always wanted to build. But believe me they are not the Holy Grail to building great stuff. You can use these tricks not only in castles but also in statues or any other kind of build.
Building something in Minecraft is often finding a way to make the interior look immense without making the exterior too big. Because you don’t want your throne room to be higher than your tower
These tricks also work (especially number one) when you are building a castle and that mountain in the distance isn’t that far away as you expected.
2. DepthOur world exist of 3 dimensions, Height, Width and Depth. Depth is the one often forgotten while building a house. This may sound weird to you, but let me explain it you.
This is your typical Minecraft house. It has a door a balcony, a few windows, 4 walls and a roof. Now this house doesn’t look so good to be honest. Why, because the walls have no depth. They are just flat walls.
This house looks way better. Why because of the different colors. No, because of the depth. He used several layers of walls and you can see that it looks way better than the first house. This is a thing you need to learn by yourself you need practice with this and over time you will be better at it. This also applies to rooftops and many other things in Minecraft even statues look better with depth in them. Also Stairs and slabs are you best friend, they really help creating depth.
If you need some more examples, watch this video he uses depth in the walls in a simple yet effective way.
This is an important part of the build. Because it will affect how your build looks. In Minecraft you are limited to a certain set of blocks and materials. You must learn to use all of them, if you do they will allow you to build the most marvelous structures with the most beautiful colors. Trust me color adds a lot. Although I warn you to stay away from lapis lazuli blocks and blocks like that, because they aren’t that pretty. Unless you are using a texture pack.
Make sure you do not make your building out of 1 material. It will not look good. Always try to use at least 4 or 5 just for the outside. This will improve the quality, and it will look instantly more attractive. A great example for color use is fyreuk’s red rock video.
Also don’t overdo it. A diamond house maybe cool but really it’s not. Been there done that now move on.
4. Water and LavaWater and/or Lava can really add something to your build, but use it in a respectable way. Don’t go out there and make an entire roof out of lava. It won’t look good. Instead create small flows. Ooh and do not create a floor of lava and put glass above it. It looks stupid and it has been done already move on. Same thing applies for water.
So here you go. This is my tutorial for making a great build. I hoped you learn something from this and I am looking forward to all the great builds.
YESN95, from www.youtube.com/blackdoormovies
P.S. If you see a grammar mistake please say it in the comments. I am from Holland, so English isn’t my native language.
|Tags:||Minecraft, Builds, Great, Color, Depth, Blackdoormovies, Mistakes, Materials, Blocks, Contest, Blog, Tutorial|
Join us to post comments.