Hello TheBlueDragon06 here
I've been Thinking for a while and i want to get myself known around Planet Minecraft. But how can I do that without Putting myself out there, without putting The extra OOMPH into what i do or create? Resolution? I can't, Reason? Because putting no effort in means no Quality in the work I put in.
FOR EXAMPLE: If I made a skin and put no effort into it, it's going to turn out very wrong and I mean it's score will be basically Nothing, No One will want to download the skin.
See where I'm getting at?
This applies to hosting a server as well!!
Okay straight to the point then.
It is important to choose the best host for not only you but for your community. One key aspect of the server is the Lag, How much ram have you got? what is the bandwidth limit? Is it going to be enough? Another thing you want to Know, Is your server host close to home? or is it a fair distance?.
Yes it can be an absolute drain to look for and find the right server for you, so why not consider Mooshroom Server Hosts? Here is a Link to my Blog containing the Info you would need:
You got a server up and running. FRESH outta the oven. What you need is a spawn and some Basic Plugins
Plugins You Might Like.
1 .Essentials - Basically all the essential commands. (like /home or /tpa)
2. GroupManager (Essentials) - Allows you to create ranks and set permissions
3. WorldGuard - Allows Protection Against Common grief, Also Allows you to protect certain Areas. - Requires WorldEdit.
4. CoreProtect - Basically logs Every Block a user has placed and enables an admin/owner to rollback any damage. - NOTE: Cannot rollback worldedit.
5. Iconomy - Adds an economy to your server so users can sell and buy items, also trade etc.
6. Factions - Allows a player to create a 'group' so like a small community in which they can invite other member to become pert of their team.
And many many more.
Tip: Bukkit Has updated to 1.3.1 so make sure your Plugins are up-to-date
Help guide for the Plugins listed above:
"Want More Plugin Suggestions? Please leave a comment in The Comments!"
1. Should Be nice and simple ( Means no Confusing areas! )
2. Should have a rules section that is clearly visible.
3. Should have a ranks area showing all the ranks perks.
4. Should be protected!!! (Using worldgaurd is best)
5. Should not have monsters spawning in spawn.
6. Should not be a pvp zone but instead a Safe - Zone (use /f autoclaim Safezone)
7. Should Be creative and neat.
Tip: Don't Make the spawn too complicated, it may just confuse people.
Rules may be as follows:
1. No swearing.
2. No hacks/mods.
3. No asking for op or any staff rank.
4. No asking for creative.
5. No Griefing
6. No Stealing
7. Be Respectful
8. Listen to Staff members
Tip: Don't have too much Rules, it's hard to remember a ton of rules all at once!
(Your rules may vary depending on what type of server you have)
Okay so you've done spawn, what next?
Its time to decide the players that get the Almighty staff position!:
Okay so you want some reliable staff members? Well Follow these simple guidelines.
You want people with:
1. Experience (With proof)
2. Motivation and integrity
3. Good moderating skills
4. Good knowledge of plugins ( Not completely good )
6. The capability to handle stressfull environments
Note: Don't be upset if you find staff that are..well plain useless, you will eventually find some good decent staff along the way.
But in order to get the staff members that you want you need to post an app in the forums of PMC (or any other forum) here's an example:
SKYPE (I'll pm you may skype if accepted):
WHY DO YOU WANT THE POSITION? (50 WORD+):
WHY SHOULD WE ACCEPT YOU?(50 WORDS+):
Note: You May copy and paste this application as a template for recruiting for your server.
So you've got the staff ? Great!! your on your way!! - Note: Always keep in touch with your staff, Know what's going on etc. you don't want to be left in the dark.
Advertising Is the most important aspect of running a server without it you would have no Players, Thus having a "Failed server" Meaning a dead server. But there are many ways to advertise! Yes that's right you can advertise just about anywhere on the internet such as:
- PlanetMinecraft - Server Listing or Forums. Note: Only Bump once every 24hrs!
- Other Minecraft Forums.
- Server Listing Websites (I will provide a list soon!)
- Word of mouth.
WorldEdit And WorldGuard
Hello Blue Here (aka TheBlueDragon06) Im going to show you guys how to use WorldEdit To create basic structures And how to protect them.
First you will need:
- OP or WorldEdit privileges. or download the Single Player version! :)
- Wooden Axe
- The Worldedit Plugin
- The WorldGuard Plugin
SinglePlayerCommands (Download): (Ad link removed)
Single-Player Version (Download): http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/worldedit/
TIP: I reccomend using WinRar to open the files you download :) NOTE: I am willing to teach you guys How to Install these plugins!! :) Just ask XD
Once you have checked that you have all these required items you are ready to startworldediting!.
1. First left click one corner with your Wooden Axe (It should say point 1 Selected)
2. Second Go to the other corner (diagonally From point one, If there is a hill/mountain in the way Just select It from the top, Refer to diagram 1 ) and Right click with the Wooden Axe (Should then say Point 2 Selected) Note: it is your choice on how big your area is, and whether your server will handle the worldedit. Ive been on Some servers and Done a basic worldedit (300 Blocks) And it lagged a little, In some cases it had crashed the server, I would say a 1gb ram server will handle Worldedit of about 1000-4000 blocks (But Thats my Opinion).
3. Thirdly Your ready to create The Flat area for your project. Use the command //set air or //set 0 (same thing).
4. Now you have a nice Flat area you would want the Ground as grass, You would need to select new regions, so select the two corners of the flat area Again Use the wooden Axe. Use the command //set grass and that will change the ground that you selected to grass.
5. Ok now to create your structure, Ofcourse the structure can be anything at all but We'll just create a very basic building for starters (Refer to diagram 1). Once you have create the Basic structure feel free to edit/Hollow it out Either by hand or using worldedit. (Unfortunatley i cant help you with the creativeness with the building but i can advise you to use your creativeness and logical thinking to create the best building whether it be a spawn or project etc.)
So using this Diagram for step 2 and 5 i hope will help you understand the worldediting :) Basics ofcourse :)
Some Basic Values Are as follows:
1. //set grass
2. //set stonebrick
3. //set dirt
4. //set stone
5. //set air (to remove blocks)
6. //set mossycobble
7. //set cobblestone
8. and many more
Protecting the Area:
- Select the Region that you would Like to Protect using your Wooden Axe (Refer to Diagram 2 Below).
- Ok good now you need to Expand the area (otherwise you are protecting one diagonal Line.) To do this type //expand Vert
- Ok now your area is Expanded now to define your region, So use the command /region Define Blue (Blue Being the name of the region)
- So now you have defined your region, Good that region is now protected!
Adding and Removing people from regions:
Adding people to a region will allow them to Build in that area and ofcourse destroy blocks.
Setting a PvP and Greeting Message to a region:
- Basically use the command /region addowner Blue TheBlueDragon06 (Blue Being the Region andTheBlueDragon06 being the Player)
- Ok you have successfully added a player to that region who is now owner of that specific Area. BUT know you want to remove the player? Easy Just use /region remowner Blue TheBlueDragon06 (Blue Being the region and TheBlueDragon06 being the Player)
Ok do you want a greeting Message for your Project? or Spawn? and do you want to Disable PvP in a region?? Good follow these commands.
Greeting Message: - /region flag Blue greeting Welcome to the town plot, %name%! (Do not remove the %) (You can Change the 'town plot' To whatever Greeting message of your choice)
Setting a noPvP area for your region: - /region flag Blue pvp deny/allow
I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as i have enjoyed writing it!!!!!
Want more guides???
Just post a comment and i may write about it!!
Other Updates to follow:
1. Pictures of some Example Spawns
2. Incorporating Worldedit and Worldguard within the tutorial
3. list of Different types of Themes to use for your server. (example, Medievil)
Part 2: How to Restart your failed Server
I am writing up a blog on how to kick start
P.S: I am soon recruiting staff for my new server if anyone's interested?