1/1/2015 4:08 pm
Snaves's Avatar Snaves
The results have been posted:

Lyme Park by Eagoy: 216
West Tower by Snaves: 207
Lime Street Tower by Ryermeke: 205
122 Leadenhall by TheWantedPig: 189
122 Leadenhall by Tiresh: 186

Great work, everyone, and keep an eye out for future contests.

Original Post:
Please vote for the country you want to build for. This poll will be open for one month, and then the country chosen will be announced.

I recently held a contest where each entrant was to recreate a building in minecraft as accurately as possible. The challenge with this was they had a very limited amount of time. This time around, to celebrate gaining 500 subscribers, we are going to host yet another recreation contest, but it will be a little different. A month ago, we held a poll with 10 countries, each with their own rich history in architecture, to choose which one you would build from. The winning country was the UK, with 17 of the 57 votes. Now for the next two months, you will choose a building from this country, and it can be any building you want. Shortly, we will post five examples so you get an idea of what kinds of buildings the UK has (particularly defining the difficulty section of the judging). You are now free to start building, and when you finish, please post a link to the project in the forum below to officially be entered.

Deadline: December 8th at 11:59pm PST

Rules
1. Build must be from the country chosen from the poll: the United Kingdom
2. Build can be any size, though be aware that proportional scale to the referenced building is important
3. Must be a new build, no rehashing old builds
4. Must be an original build. I am going to open this up to collaboration builds, but understand that the prizes will only be given to one person, and if the build is on a server, the world save must be posted before the deadline
5. Allowed to use a texture pack (note, judging will be done using default)
6. Must have a non-edited, shader-less image with your build (other images may include renders/modded screenshots).
7. Builds may be furnished, but this is not necessary to the build.
8. Must have a worldsave, schematic is an optional extra, but not required
9. One entry per person
10. You may use any program to build this (Survival, Creative, MCEdit, Worldedit, etc.)
11. All builds must be posted by December 8th, and abide by the above rules, or they will not be judged

Judges
Jduartemiller
NinamanOfficial
GGJ16
MattuFIN
Qmans

Judging
You will be judged on six areas, for a total of 50 points
Creativity 1-10 points
As all entrants will be using buildings as references, the creativity lies in how you put it together and on what materials you use. You may want to use research material to help your build in this.

Accuracy 1-10 points
You are to try to get this build as close to the real thing as possible (this will be judged visually, we will not take out tape measures and measure the building, so don't worry about that)

Quality 1-10 points
are there any mistakes in the build, is it consistent?

Detail 1-10 points
How did you detail the facade, how did you detail the interior (not including furniture). This is looking at how the building is put together and the layering you put into the build. How did you address moving through the building, how did you address the materials? We want to see not only a well detailed building, but one that understands the structure of the building.

Landscape 1-5 points
This is asking how did you address the landscape around the build. This is not to make something look pretty, but to capture the environment directly around the building (while the surroundings may include other buildings, you are not to build them. You are to recreate the presence around the building itself as accurately as possible, such as trees, sidewalks, streets (only do immediate area), landscape, topiary, etc.)

Difficulty 1-5 points
How challenging is your build? Taking on a more challenging build does warrant some merit over simpler ones. This is entirely objective from the actual build itself, and will be rated according to the judges consensus on what is an appropriate rating for a building. When a country is chosen, we will post five buildings from that country with a rating of difficulty for each level.

Extra points
You can receive up to five extra points on your project. You can receive up to two points for furnishing your project appropriately, you can receive one point for choosing a building that a judge has not seen before (judges discretion on this part), and up to two points for posting your findings and sources of your research material for your build.

Prizes
First Place: Gold pixel trophy, subscription from me, a build request from me in my new project, and a shout-out on my profile forever. I will also do some renders for your project.

Second Place: Silver pixel trophy, subscription from me, and a shout-out on my profile for a month. I will do some renders for your project

Third Place: Bronze pixel trophy, and a subscription from me. I will do some renders for your project.

There may also be some secret awards that will be given out and you will receive a pixel trophy if you receive one.

If i am already already subscribed to you, or if you are a winner of one of my previous contests, i may add something extra with your prizes

Already Answered Questions
Can i use any mods, command blocks, or anything that is non-vanilla minecraft?

All judges will be using the most current released version of vanilla minecraft. This means that you cannot use command blocks, mods, or snapshots for this as we will not use these to view your project. Although you can use a texture pack in your images, all projects will be viewed in default, so take that into account.

Can we build something that no longer exists or a building concept?

I will allow for existing building, demolished buildings, or for well-documented proposals (preferably if it is already under construction). As long as there is enough source information on the buildings, and the judges can see what you referenced, we will allow it. Just in case though (and more so for the proposed buildings), check with me before you start just to get the okay on it.

Can we participate in teams?
For the first time in one of my contests, yes, i am opening this up to team builds. In the rules it states that you can do collaborations (check rule 4), but make sure that you post a world save before the deadline, or it will not qualify.

Is there a specified style that we must build in?
No, you can build any building in any style. The only requirement on buildings is that you build it from the country that is voted upon, and you can provide documentation that this building is from that country.

Do i have to build just one building, or can i build multiple buildings in a complex?
You can build multiple buildings, but understand though, that we are looking at how accurately and at the detailing of the entire build. If you can keep it consistent with all of the buildings, that is fine, but just be aware of that. Bigger doesn't always equal a better score

Best of luck, and thank you for participating.

Poll ended 10/09/2014 6:35 pm.

jduartemiller
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/01/2015 4:08 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Engineer
Snaves
Congrats eagoy on 1st place!
01/01/2015 4:45 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lava Rider
eagoy
Well, didn't suspect a first place. A whatever.

@ Snaves, congrats on your second place.
@ Ryermeke, congrats on your third place.
Regarding the points, send a pm towards the judges and ask for the judging points of the judges. That is what I do.

Ah well, somehow I guessed the better Leadenhall version for fourth place.

Oh and a happy new year to all.
12/31/2014 3:45 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Architect
Ryer
Is it possible for you to say what feilds got points? so we know what to improve on for next time?
12/31/2014 12:54 pm
jduartemiller
The results are now posted. We had a good group of projects for this. Great job everyone, and congratulations

Lyme Park by Eagoy: 216
West Tower by Snaves: 207
Lime Street Tower by Ryermeke: 205
122 Leadenhall by TheWantedPig: 189
122 Leadenhall by Tiresh: 186
12/14/2014 1:47 pm
Ryer
Oh... haha i just realized you used the wrong "lime" spelling. Despite it being British, they actually spell it like the fruit.
12/09/2014 11:49 am
eagoy
Somewhere a bit of shame that I am the only one without a skyscraper.
But heck that means it can work out well or not and frustrate the judges
Plus I like going for something "different" so I await the judging.
12/09/2014 7:27 am
Ryer
5 entries... First 3 and then the suprise... Only one will walk away empty handed

Aka my chances look good XD
12/09/2014 3:03 am
jduartemiller
Contest has officially closed
12/08/2014 7:37 pm
jduartemiller
Only a little more than seven more hours to get your entries in if you haven't already. Best of luck.
12/08/2014 11:33 am
Snaves
I made a small update to my entry
12/08/2014 12:28 pm
jduartemiller
Okay, that's fine. Feel free to update as much as you feel is necessary until the contest closes. This will not detract from your score in any way, nor will any judge begin looking at it for the contest until it officially closes
12/07/2014 1:36 pm
jduartemiller
That's great. You've been added to the list of entries as well. Best of luck
12/07/2014 3:15 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Pegasus
TheWantedPig
Thank you very much
12/07/2014 12:03 pm
Snaves
Here's my entry: West Tower in Liverpool

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... liverpool/
12/07/2014 12:23 pm
jduartemiller
Great, i've added you to the list. Best of luck.

We now have four entries in, and there is only about a day and a half left until the contest closes.
12/05/2014 9:04 pm
jduartemiller
We only have a few more days before the deadline, we have 3 entries so far. Get your projects in as soon as you can. Best of luck
12/03/2014 6:35 pm
jduartemiller
Ryermeke
jduartemiller London is just filled with humorously named buildings.

Haha, the gherkin (30 st mary's axe). The can of ham (60-70 St Mary's Axe). the Scalpel (52-54 lime street), the pringle (olympic track building), the helter-skelter (pinnacle), salt cellar (the shard) the stealth bomber (one new change) the walkie talkie (20 frenchurch) and many others. Those are just the ones ive remembered off the top of my head... dang jduartemiller, made me do london reaserch for a minecraft build XD

muahahahaha, that was my secret plan all along. But i really think its important to look around the world for building inspiration and see how they vary, even if by a little, compared to where you live. Whether in a minecraft project or in a studio project (or in a future real project) that i work on, i take my research very seriously as it can show me some mistakes, teach me something new, or just allow me to look at a design problem in a new way that i may not have considered. i learn a lot from these kinds of builds, and i hope that is the same for you all.
12/03/2014 6:12 pm
Ryer
jduartemiller London is just filled with humorously named buildings.

Haha, the gherkin (30 st mary's axe). The can of ham (60-70 St Mary's Axe). the Scalpel (52-54 lime street), the pringle (olympic track building), the helter-skelter (pinnacle), salt cellar (the shard) the stealth bomber (one new change) the walkie talkie (20 frenchurch) and many others. Those are just the ones ive remembered off the top of my head... dang jduartemiller, made me do london reaserch for a minecraft build XD
12/03/2014 2:28 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Architect
Tiresh
As much as I'm not really into participating in contests, I needed a break from all of The Capitol's brutalist buildings so I made The Cheesegrater AKA The Leadenhall Building. http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/122-leadenhall-street-3162614/ Not the best thing I have ever made but hey, I'm not really into fully glass covered buildings, so that's a step forward for me haha.

Vanilla screens are in the Spoilers in the description.I prefer to say that as I know that people don't really bother with reading the description.
12/03/2014 2:41 pm
jduartemiller
Great, i'll add you to the list as well. It made me laugh that you called it the Cheesegrater building. London is just filled with humorously named buildings. Best of luck. We are now up to three entries, and remember the deadline is December 8th at 11:59 pm PST. Make sure to get your entries in.
12/01/2014 6:38 pm
Ryer
12/02/2014 12:56 am
jduartemiller
Great, glad to see it up. I have put you in the list of current entries. That's two entries now, and remember, one more week to go
12/02/2014 7:13 pm
Ryer
Well, I finally was able to participate in one of your contests...
12/01/2014 7:46 am
Ryer
I am glad to announce that I have finished, and everything is ready for me to post later today
11/25/2014 7:44 pm
Ryer
I am still working on mine, have a few things left to do, but i do think i will finish in time. Whether its the winning material or not? I'm not sure, but I do think youll like it. Most of my time was spent on the simply complicated design... it LOOKS simple, yet it would take skill to get it all right... I hope i have skill XD
11/24/2014 9:15 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
PixelCrash_
Only two more weeks......

I better hurry up with my entry
11/24/2014 3:09 am
jduartemiller
Hey everyone, there are only two weeks left to get your build in to be an official entry. We only have one official entry so far. Best of luck, everyone.
11/14/2014 12:19 pm
jduartemiller
eagoy
Anyway, it seems I am the first to enter the submission for the contest.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/lyme-park/

Great, you are the first official entry.

And remember, we have less than a month to get your entries in. Best of luck, and can't wait to see what everyone comes up with
11/14/2014 10:58 am
eagoy
QmansNote all of them are from London. 1 is from Manchester

My bad.

Anyway, it seems I am the first to enter the submission for the contest.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/lyme-park/
11/07/2014 4:36 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1495382
[deleted]
11/07/2014 3:49 am
jduartemiller
MrWals
Click to reveal
Qmans
MrWalsUgh Britain is winning >.< whyyyy Britain has boringgg buildings

Well Britain has won and since you believe Britain has boring buildings i have some ideas to change that
1. Beetham Tower

2. Heron Tower

3. The Shard

4. 20 fenchurch street

5. leadenhall building

6. Heathrow Airport Ternimal 5

LONG STORY SHORT
this was a bump xD

I live in Britain and imo these modern buildings are boring, there's nothing new no detail. however each to there own and I respect your opinion

Though, granted, one of if not my favorite skyscraper in the world is seen in 3 of the six images there, so the modern towers in London aren't all that bad.

and on a more related note, remember, you only have one more month to get your build in. And remember, all buildings are open for you to choose from, so long as they are from the UK. Do some research, find something you like, and build it. All of our suggestions are nothing more than just suggestions. Have fun, and can't wait to see what you all come up with in a month. Best of luck
11/07/2014 3:20 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
paintsniffer
Click to reveal
Qmans
MrWalsUgh Britain is winning >.< whyyyy Britain has boringgg buildings

Well Britain has won and since you believe Britain has boring buildings i have some ideas to change that
1. Beetham Tower

2. Heron Tower

3. The Shard

4. 20 fenchurch street

5. leadenhall building

6. Heathrow Airport Ternimal 5

LONG STORY SHORT
this was a bump xD

I live in Britain and imo these modern buildings are boring, there's nothing new no detail. however each to there own and I respect your opinion
11/07/2014 2:45 am
eagoy
Qmans

Interesting types of build you think. Yet these buildings are all situated in the City of London. If you have been in Britain you know how old everything is in the countryside of it. The beds creek through the whole building if you move to fast from sides in bed in the night.

Anyway I think it is a matter of type of builds you like. If you search there is a chance you will find the building you like. After all there is still a month left in the contest.

My entry, Lyme park, is progressing well. Currently I am busy with the landscaping as the interior would be to much work for me. Exterior is done besides some small things I shouldn´t forget.
10/31/2014 3:25 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
TacticalYeti
honestly the balfron tower.... looks like a rundown soviet apt. building with a concrete rectangle standing next to it
10/31/2014 5:03 am
paintsniffer
^^^^^^^^^^^
10/31/2014 10:20 am
jduartemiller
The loveliness of brutalism. We were trying to cover different buildings of different eras and different styles all over the UK. That's why Balfron is in there. Many residential towers like this one are all over Europe.
10/31/2014 2:54 am
jduartemiller
There is only 5 weeks left to build before the contest closes. All are welcomed to enter. And just to clarify, the above examples and a possible source of inspiration, You are free to choose any building in the UK. Best of luck.
10/26/2014 12:01 am
jduartemiller
I apologize for this being so delayed, but here are the five examples of some buildings around the UK that represent each difficulty level. Note difficulty is a purely objective (meaning not related to your build) judgement on the building you choose. These examples represent roughly what the judges, myself included, have determined these objective difficulty standards are based on a scale of 1-5 (which reflects their point values):

1: Balancing Barn by MVRDV near the Suffolk coast in England (2010)

2: Balfron Tower by Ernő Goldfinger in London, England (1967)

3: Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh, Scotland (dates back to 12th century)

4: Prudential Assurance Building by Alfred & Paul Waterhouse in London, England (1901)

5: York Minister Cathedral, York, England (1472)

Hope this helps you guys understand this section a little better. Feel free to PM me or ask on the forum if you are still unsure as to where your building might be. Best of luck on your buildings. You still have about six weeks to get them in.
10/19/2014 2:34 pm
jduartemiller
eagoy
jduartemillerIn the next week, I'll post some examples of buildings with different difficulty levels so you get an idea if how we will judge that portion.

How are these examples coming by?
I am curious to see the different difficulty levels.

We are trying to get that together, there have been some delays. I personally am juggling two different projects in school right now, and it is occupying a majority of my time, so i have been unable to research for this. We will get those to you as soon as possible. If you want to PM me what you are considering, i can give you my opinion on a build's difficulty, just so you can get the ball rolling on this.
10/19/2014 12:03 pm
eagoy
jduartemillerIn the next week, I'll post some examples of buildings with different difficulty levels so you get an idea if how we will judge that portion.

How are these examples coming by?
I am curious to see the different difficulty levels.
10/19/2014 10:11 am
Ryer
So I'm curious

I have my build picked out, and I know a lot about how it will work. Am I allowed to build surrounding buildings, but in minimal detail for them? Like have the main build, then the nearby buildings as white boxes in their shapes? Or will I get points off?
10/19/2014 10:20 am
jduartemiller
As long as you clearly state what building is the actual build, the surrounding buildings will be classified under landscape, as i am assuming you are just trying to create the presence around the building. You're build will not be marked off for that.
10/15/2014 1:16 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Grump
Art Dei Tech
Hey, are we allowed to make a compound of buildings like a university campus, or only one of those buildings? Just to make sure, cuz I'm thinking of building the whole of Oxford Christ Church
10/15/2014 4:46 pm
jduartemiller
I would be okay with a whole complex. It could be interesting how you focus it. Understand though, that we are looking at how accurately and the detailing of the entire build. If you can keep it consistent with all of the buildings, that is fine, but just be aware of that
10/14/2014 2:41 pm
Level 45 : Master Architect
CrankerMan
i'll try to make howard castle
(i know there's already a version of it on pmc but i'll try to make it 2:1 or even bigger)
and with autumn holidays the next 2 weeks ... HEHE ;D

ya'll'll get räkkt!
10/13/2014 1:35 pm
Ryer
Im trying to decide between about 3 designs... may just build all 3, see whats best
10/12/2014 10:56 am
Level 31 : Artisan Architect
CaptainMangar
Okay, i'm going to build the Shard and the whole London Bridge Quater!
That will be funny^^

Greetings from Germany
10/12/2014 10:54 am
paintsniffer
St Pauls Cathedral or Butlers Wharf.... mhmmmmm
10/12/2014 1:04 am
Level 44 : Master Wolf Whisperer
ImaLittleCreeper
Already picked and started my entry, I'm so excited!!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome