Almost time for a new PC

Latiodile's Avatar Latiodile11/24/15 9:11 am
12/23/2015 1:16 pm
BananaInCharge's Avatar BananaInCharge
I enjoyed this PC while it lasted, and still lasting, but i should start planning for a pc that wont go full afterburner mode on the desktop...

Click to reveal

ill fill out this form that keeps popping up in the forums, because i dont have a good enough knowledge for good budget parts...

What is this computer going to be used for?
Medium/a bit of heavy gaming.. gta 4, gta 5, minecraft with shaders.. etc, streaming
What is your budget?
once i get to it itll most likely be around $500 CAD
Where do you live? If in the US, do you have a nearby Microcenter?
Canada, Ontario (if that helps slim the searches...) that second question is self explanatory.
What is included in the budget?
OS, Case, and maybe monitor.
Will you be overclocking?
I dont think i will, but i might if i end up needing it. but most likely not
Will you be reusing any parts?
Graphics card, (EVGA GTX 750 TI)
PSU (Corsair CX600M)
My two old hard drives ( both 1TB)
What OS do you want?
Windows 10
Any specific case preferences?
Not really.. as long as it fits under my desk... i don't need it to be fancy since ill only be looking at it when i either bring it up to the living room or when i reach for the power button. but at least have some aesthetic appeal
Any other special features that you want in the build?
At least 128gb SSD (for load times and windows)
No wifi. and a trustable at least 2tb HDD
8GB ram minimum, but i might need to expand to 16gb depending on the game. and an intel CPU.. i am starting to get fed up with AMD
Latiodile
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/22/2015 9:34 pm
Latiodile
Bumping an old thread i know.. but its still valid, i have 150$, whats a good combo for CPU and MoBo, that would use ddr3.. since i would have to reuse my ram.. i don't mind though, its gotten faster since i downgrade my ram to just the 8gb stick

I could also put off the 50$ worth of games i have on my cart on steam so you get a more comfortable range

EDIT: or would it just be more worth it to get a new socket FM2+ cpu?
12/23/2015 1:16 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
BananaInCharge
I wouldn't bother getting a new FM2+ CPU as you won't really see the performance improvement from your current CPU.

Depending on what games you play and what else you use your computer for, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a solid gaming CPU and motherboard for $150. An AM3+ socket would be most likely the best choice if you absolutely had to buy a brand new computer right this second without any hesitation because you can get something like an FX 6300 which is pretty good and would end up costing you roughly $170 and you could keep your RAM etc.

Since AM3+ is pretty outdated something like the Z97 platform, which is technically outdated now that the newer consumer Z170 platform has been out for a while, will be better and have a much higher performance upgrade path (4790k as the most powerful chip)

A Z97 PC Mate and a Pentium G3258 as a temporary setup would do well in games that benefit from single thread performance but not so well in games that look for more than 2 threads in a CPU. If you could spare the money, you could go for an i5 4460 and a H97 or B85 chipset motherboard. If you can't afford the i5, an i3 would still do better than the G3258 in games that need 4 threads.

This would have the same upgrade path but you could get something like a Xeon E3-1231v3 which has extremely similar performance to a locked Haswell i7.

I dunno, there's a lot of things you can do with $150-200 but you won't really be better off enough to make it worth your money. Especially if you bought an FM2+ CPU as the best CPU on that socket is really the A10-7870k
11/29/2015 4:10 am
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Lacuna Corporation
I only have a minute to spare so I can't recommend an entire build but something to note is that even though you already have 11GB of RAM, it's got a pretty low clock speed so I wouldn't reuse it. Since it's Black Friday weekend I'd take a look on Amazon, Corsair RAM is going really cheap until Monday. Just a thought.
11/29/2015 3:33 am
Latiodile
*bump with me lois! Bump the bump of life!*

I want to get more ideas/opinions
11/26/2015 12:50 pm
Latiodile
KillertoadI would recommend selling the ram, and getting a skylake cpu with ddr4 ram, just so you can catch up to the newest and best hardware. I'd sell your motherboard, ram, and cpu to someone, so you have a little extra cash.

i was planning on getting rid of the parts i didnt use/need anymore anyway... this old pc would be perfect to someone who doesnt game much and wont rely on a super cooled system
11/26/2015 12:10 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Leaftea
BananaInCharge

....CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($258.24 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($102.50 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($55.50 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($189.23 @ Vuugo)
Total: $685.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-25 15:05 EST-0500

Ok, 1.) 6th gen intel processors just came out, so it's not only a waste of money to buy 6000 processors, they're probably going to see driver/bois bugs that will require updates. 2.) You're probably going to need to update your BIOS prior to putting that CPU into your motherboard (depending on where you buy the mobo), because, like I said, that processor JUST came out. 3.) you're paying another $100 for a mobo when the GPU is going to be a 750ti. 4.) His RAM probably isnt going to dual channel, which means he's going to need more (to dual channel you need IDENTICAL ram sticks... unless hes using 5.5gig ram sticks (never even heard of it), that's not going to dual channel). This is an unwise build.

Most of the stuff you said here is incorrect. How is it a waste to buy it *JUST* because it came out? No, it's a waste because it has barely any performance increase over haswell-r.

You wouldn't need to upgrade your bios for a chipset that just came out to support a new cpu. Come on, even if it did need a bios update, the manufacturer would do that. Just like how with h81 and haswell refreshes, 99% of them support haswell-r from the box.

Who cares how much he pays for the motherboard and CPU? He can get a better GPU later man.

*probably isn't going to* just shows how much you don't really know. He can dual channel most different types of ram, you just have to adjust the timings so they are the same, but most newer boards do it themselves, saving a lot of headache.

Now that i've said that, I would recommend selling the ram, and getting a skylake cpu with ddr4 ram, just so you can catch up to the newest and best hardware. I'd sell your motherboard, ram, and cpu to someone, so you have a little extra cash.
11/26/2015 11:43 am
BananaInCharge
Leaftea
BananaInCharge

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($102.50 @ Vuugo)

Ok, 1.) 6th gen intel processors just came out, so it's not only a waste of money to buy 6000 processors, they're probably going to see driver/bois bugs that will require updates. 2.) You're probably going to need to update your BIOS prior to putting that CPU into your motherboard (depending on where you buy the mobo), because, like I said, that processor JUST came out. 3.) you're paying another $100 for a mobo when the GPU is going to be a 750ti. 4.) His RAM probably isnt going to dual channel, which means he's going to need more (to dual channel you need IDENTICAL ram sticks... unless hes using 5.5gig ram sticks (never even heard of it), that's not going to dual channel). This is an unwise build.

@OP Just buy a 4th gen i5 or i3. Buy a motherboard with positive reviews. Buy 8gigs of RAM (2x4 sticks). That's all you need to do. For example:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $255.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-25 18:14 EST-0500

I can assure you that, with that 750ti, you will get at least 30fps on medium settings with GTA. However, if you get lower than desired frame rates, it's your GPU (the 750). I don't recommend you or anyone asks about computer builds here. I'd suggest going to Tom's Hardware to deal with anything technical. You won't get a good suggestion from a community of mostly children.

*Ahem* Before I shut down basically everything you said, I'd like to just state that there are plenty of people on this site's forum that know a heck of a lot about computers and are most certainly not children. The children you speak of reside more in the general areas of the forum and just the general posts of the site (non-forum, so stuff like resource packs)

Okay, let us start with the RAM. Dual channel vs Single channel is not going to be giving you any benefits in gaming. So LiveLatios' RAM will do just fine on any motherboard that supports DDR3, which my choice does.

Next, the fact that you said a motherboard that is designed for the current generation of Intel processor would need an update to work with the current generation of Intel processor a few months after release. If a motherboard is being bought from a good retailer that moves plenty of stock then it will be updated and will work fine with a skylake processor.
The same is still true if you buy a H81 motherboard for a Haswell Refresh G3258, which many people do, despite the H81 chipset being designed for Haswell, a brand new H81 motherboard will still support the Haswell Refresh.

Thirdly, the CPU. With a $700 CAD budget that doesn't include a PSU, GPU or HDD. There would be no reason to choose a previous generation of processor over a newer micro-architecture. Just because something is cheaper, doesn't mean it is better. Also, you are actually suggesting somebody who intends on playing high end games like GTA V AS WELL AS STREAMING.... to buy a Haswell i3 over a Skylake i5.

"Paying another $100 for a motherboard when the GPU is a 750 Ti"

So? Just because he currently has a 750 Ti doesn't mean he isn't going to upgrade ever in the future. It supports AMD Crossfire so has the potential to have two R9 390x GPUs on it. Are you still thinking that spending $100 on a motherboard is a bad investment? Not to mention that $100 is pretty average in motherboard price for a Skylake chipset.

Finally, you suggested the OP buy a brand new 8gb kit of RAM, resulting in 3gb less JUST so he could have dual channel memory. I don't know about you, but I would much rather have 11gb of RAM over 8gb on a gaming PC.

This is an unwise build

You are an unwise person.
11/25/2015 10:11 pm
Latiodile
@Leaftea I already know what fps i get in GTA 5 :/ which is fine with me.. i can pull off 60at med 720p which is all i need for that part, but with my current cpu i run into severe loading issues so i limit it to 30fps. Also i know theres a Pc building community here which is why i asked... i also feel more at home posting here than on linustechtips or toms hardware. My ram is not two 5.5GB sticks... its 1 8GB stick 1 2GB and 1 1GB using three ram slots

@BananaInCharge ill take that build in consideration, i already know what benefits an SSD gives.. which is why i requested one... i got a taste of what it was like when i tested a ramdisk. also, i dont know how well that 23" monitor would fit in my monitor.. cubicle... thing, since that 19" almost hits the edges, But ill do some measurements to see if itll fit
I also noticed you guys used a Micro ATX motherboard which will fit nicely into my current case
11/25/2015 6:15 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
newkdv
BananaInCharge

@OP Just buy a 4th gen i5 or i3. Buy a motherboard with positive reviews. Buy 8gigs of RAM (2x4 sticks). That's all you need to do. For example:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $255.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-25 18:14 EST-0500

I can assure you that, with that 750ti, you will get at least 30fps on medium settings with GTA. However, if you get lower than desired frame rates, it's your GPU (the 750). I don't recommend you or anyone asks about computer builds here. I'd suggest going to Tom's Hardware to deal with anything technical. You won't get a good suggestion from a community of mostly children.
11/25/2015 3:13 pm
BananaInCharge
Since you have 11gb of RAM already, I've chosen a skylake socket motherboard that supports DDR3 so you can use that.

As you stated that you probably won't want to overclock, I chose an i5-6500 because it will handle the games you want to play very well.

I put a monitor in the build but not an OS because there are many places you can buy a legitimate Windows 10 key from for much less than full price. The monitor is just an example of what you could be paying for a solid 1080p IPS panel but there are cheaper ones out there and if you are coming from a 1440x900 resolution monitor then you will definitely notice the difference in clarity.

NCIX are holding a Black Friday sale so I would check out their site to see if you can get a good price on some parts.

The SSD will really boost performance in desktop applications and has enough capacity to store the OS and a few more things.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($258.24 @ Vuugo)
11/25/2015 8:30 am
Latiodile
*assumes its been 24 hours* i'm just gonna bump this up...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome