Android or iOS

CaptainEvstike's Avatar CaptainEvstike2/7/17 8:11 pm
1 emeralds 3.6k 92
7/30/2017 12:59 am
Zitzabis's Avatar Zitzabis
Which OS do you prefer?
CaptainEvstike
Level 16 : Journeyman Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/30/2017 12:59 am
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Locking due to necro posting.
07/11/2017 10:32 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragon
_ENDER_DRAGON_
Not going to read all of the comments. I've been looking to get a new phone. One big thing stands out.

Apple supports phones for a long time. The iPhone 5s released in 2013 will be getting iOS 11. Apple is expensive.

Android (at least what Google is saying for their phones) will get software updates for 2 years and security updates for 3. That's pretty crap if you keep your phones for some time. Android is (generally) cheaper.

Edit: Oops, this is an old thread.
05/03/2017 9:20 am
Level 1 : New Miner
fireman777
i do like both.... but gotta go Android. Funny, I own a macbook but love my samsung.
04/04/2017 2:48 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
GamingWolfy5
I suggest Android it has less updates than Apple and runs faster on the newest phones
03/04/2017 7:35 pm
CaptainEvstike
bump
03/02/2017 8:22 pm
CaptainEvstike
Ren3DM
CaptainEvstike
5. Many Apple products blew up too.
http://www.autoomobile.com/news/apple-what-makes-the-iphone-7-plus-go-boom/40043779/

Even though that is one report of an iPhone report. Or, the second. How much samsung note 7's blew up? 30-70? The Note 7 issue was much more widespread. While, the iPhone 7 issue is isolated to one device or two.

That was only one report that came up on the top of results.
03/02/2017 3:43 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
CaptainEvstike
http://www.autoomobile.com/news/apple-what-makes-the-iphone-7-plus-go-boom/40043779/

Even though that is one report of an iPhone report. Or, the second. How much samsung note 7's blew up? 30-70? The Note 7 issue was much more widespread. While, the iPhone 7 issue is isolated to one device or two.
03/02/2017 1:22 pm
CaptainEvstike
Also, if anyone hates Android because of Samsung devices blowing up, don't.
1. It was the battery that exploded, not the operating system doing it.
2. Android has nothing to do with how the battery works.
3. Samsung did a recall on their phones.
4. You don't have to get Samsung to have Android, there are TONS of other companies.
03/02/2017 8:55 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
Am I the only one that's noticing that the article provided does not actually picture an exploding phone? What I'm seeing is a phone catching fire, but not outright exploding. I compared the damage on the iPhone 7 Plus and a Samsung Note 7, and the difference is pretty clear. There's shattering damage, the burns are more severe, and there was actual force to the explosion. Notice that there was a recall on the Note, but not the iPhone 7 Plus, as I do not believe this is an actual faulty battery. Apple is looking into, as there is a chance there could be a problem, but I don't find that very likely. I attribute this case to the phone overheating due to being over-charged and maybe a small help with the liquid inside the case allowed it to catch fire. Also, the article you have presented doesn't have very reliable sources, relying on social media for info on this supposed case.

In short, I don't trust your source of information, as it is doctored and unreliable. As for my stance on what I like better, I honestly don't care unless it works and it's easy to use.
03/01/2017 9:19 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
I'd bet most of y'all use whatever phone your parents bought you and therefore you've only had experience with one OS.
I on the other hand have in-depth experience with both iOS and Android, also with jailbroken/rooted devices so I've also got experience with the more-advanced side of both operating systems.

From my personal experience I think Android is hands down better as a phone operating system. However when you throw the jailbroken iOS into the ring with plain old iOS and plain ol Android, the jailbroken iOS takes the cake. If you're technologically savvy and root the android device though, that is another curve ball which unquestionably wins over iOS.

However, most people on this thread have neglected the "other" side of the iOS/Android debate, which is the tablet experience. Since tablets have a completely different purpose than smartphones, it is only fair to judge iOS tablet and android tablet experiences too. Unlike smartphones, I think iOS works better on tablets with the little bit of experience I've had with tablets. My experience with jailbreaking my iPad was less than successful and honestly not really worth going into. Same goes for rooting my Nvidia Shield tablet. Either tablets are naturally less stable than phones or I had a bad day at the PC—both of which invalidate all my opinions of modifying tablet operating systems.
With that out of the way, I feel like iOS works better on tablets. Android feels clunkier on tablets than it does on phones (anyone who's owned an android tablet will likely know what I'm talking about) and my iPad is just a much better experience than any Android-based tablet I've owned.
03/02/2017 1:12 pm
CaptainEvstike
I agree. I own an Android phone (I love it). When I see my classmates' phones, they are miniature compared to mine, and my resolution is extreme compared to theirs. If you jailbreak an iOS, it would be amazing. Apple's hardware is very good. Rapid processing speed. Android is a bit slower in that aspect, because it isn't meant for one single platform. With jailbroken iOS, it would run smooth and have lots of options.
For tablets, I've used a very old Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (It's basically a Lagblet these days, not even a Tablet. So slow...) I used to love it because that was what I grew up with. Then I got an iPad mini. Much bigger, thinner, easier to hold. Back then, I didn't know the difference between operating systems. I used my iPad all the time and loved it. I hate iOS, but I have no idea how Android runs on tablets, probably not too good. A slow customizable tablet? iMessage would run good on a tablet, because you can text using a mainstream messaging app, without having to use SMS. On Android, you would need some messaging app your contacts would have to download too.
On phones, Android runs better if you want quick and easy. If you want easy but stuck like the way it is, iOS would be better. iOS was decent until iOS 10 came out. They tried to be like Android with their swipe for more features on the unlock screen. You can't even swipe to unlock like before. Half of the people I know have to put a digital menu button on their screen because their home button broke.
03/02/2017 6:11 am
Level 40 : Master Engineer
Carnivore
I've used more android devices than iOS, and I have to say the latter has been the best experience for me.
Switching to 7Plus + Watch S2 next weekend from the V10.
03/01/2017 4:58 pm
CaptainEvstike
bump
02/26/2017 7:08 pm
Level 26 : Expert Pirate
Han Solo
definitely Android.
02/26/2017 7:09 pm
CaptainEvstike
Everyone on here says Android is better, but I still see the majority of people with iPhones.
02/27/2017 1:39 pm
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
Actually, Android has a much much bigger global market share believe it or not.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/266 ... g-systems/
https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/18/gartn ... 6-2-in-q2/

However, in the US it's a lot closer, with Android still slightly ahead but iOS not too far back
https://www.statista.com/statistics/266 ... ed-states/
That's probably why ;P
02/27/2017 11:46 am
Carnivore
It's just mainstream. A lot of people I know prefer Android because there are many viable budged devices available, unlike iPhones that always go beyond 700 USD.

But the majority that can afford themselves a gadget above 700 USD always preferred the iPhone.
02/26/2017 7:17 pm
Level 26 : Expert Pirate
Han Solo
iPhones do seem cool 'n such, but I've always had a Galaxy phone so that's why I prefer Android.
02/26/2017 7:58 pm
CaptainEvstike
I've had an iPad for years. I used to love it, until I saw Android, my old tablet ran on Android but that was SO long ago, like 2012. Now I love Android.
02/26/2017 5:50 pm
CaptainEvstike
People don't like Android because it is complex for them and there is too many options. But it is running to many platforms and needs options to work for all of them. A lot of features are still device specific.
02/26/2017 3:37 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
Since the conversation has moved around to the developing side of the two, I feel that Android certainly wins there.

Swift is known for being fairly easy to use. The syntax is not to my taste, but that's just personal preference. C is up my ally. C languages are known for being able to run on just about any platform so in terms of what OS has the better language, I don't think there is a winner. Both do well at it.

However, when it comes down to the deployment process, I love Android. Google Play has a better system that encourages new and veteran developers. Apple has an ok platform too, don't get me wrong. But when it comes down to ease of deployment, Android feels more streamlined. That and a lower fee. I honestly don't want to fork out $100 so I can release a small app designed for a very specific clientele.
02/26/2017 2:36 pm
Konrad
_benjimaestroAndroid is also better to develop for.
A Google Play licence is a one time fee of £25. That's it, £25 and you can upload as many as you like.
For iOS, it's £100 per year, as well as the fact that you need to own a Mac to actually create the apps.
Android uses Java officially, but you can make apps in other languages like Python (I just made one in Python!)
Apple use their own proprietary language called Swift and it's harder to use.

That's subjective. Swift is supposed to be as easy. I find it easy. Doesn't that look simple?

But, the 100 dollars a year is just fueling apples greed which I don't agree with.
02/26/2017 2:30 pm
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
Android is also better to develop for.
A Google Play licence is a one time fee of £25. That's it, £25 and you can upload as many as you like.
For iOS, it's £100 per year, as well as the fact that you need to own a Mac to actually create the apps.
Android uses Java officially, but you can make apps in other languages like Python (I just made one in Python!)
Apple use their own proprietary language called Swift and it's harder to use.
02/26/2017 3:06 pm
Carnivore
You can write in Obj-C, no one's stopping you. Swift is just an implementation easier to grasp than Obj-C and C and combines the best of both worlds. NO, absolutely ZERO reason to go with something more obstruct when you can do the otherwise.

Money does play a major role in regard if licensing, but if you're not developing software professionally and DO earn your money from your apps, I really see no reason doing it anyway if not as a hobby, in which case, GPlay is obviously the winner.
02/27/2017 1:34 pm
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
Apple are killing Obj-C soon, as they kill support for 32Bit iPhones. So, there's no reason to be making Obj-C apps now.
02/28/2017 6:23 am
Carnivore
No reason to support 6-7 year old phones, y'know. Its got to go when its got to go.

Other than that, from the experience I have with Apple, its much easier to get into it than out of. Same applies to getting used to iOS as a general consumer.
02/26/2017 9:08 am
CaptainEvstike
Launchers FTW!
02/26/2017 5:55 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
DRETICUS20
Android
02/26/2017 4:11 am
Level 20 : Expert Goblin
FunkyGoblin
Having used android for 3 years and iOS for 2, I personally prefer iOS. It is simple, clean and doesn't have many unnecessary features. Though I don't like throwing my money away to apple, I found my upgrade to iPhone was satisfactory despite the extra coin.
02/26/2017 9:08 am
CaptainEvstike
Android doesn't have unnecessary features. Some just aren't meant for everyday use. Everything it has is essential in a way. I find that iOS doesn't have enough features.
02/26/2017 12:13 am
Level 37 : Artisan Ranger
Caporal Dxl
I like Android more (and also Windows Phone).
02/26/2017 3:40 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
Same here. Android and Windows Phone ftw.
02/25/2017 11:51 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Professor
Eli the Zeratoed
I actually prefer either or.

Android's great because it expands the app store more, and it's actually great for modifying apps client-sided (ex: Texture Packs for MCPE, etc.).

iOS is great just because it's what I've been raised on. I actually wanted an Android phone instead of an iPhone 5, but I'm stuck with one for now...

I'd still lean more towards Android, but I prefer either one if given the option. Apple phones have become terrible over the years, so that's why I don't have iOS 10 on my phone, thankfully. Trust me, I can use alternate ways of getting gifs on my phone than making my phone look childish/immature (ex: colored buttons, etc.) or breaking my home button due to the fact that's the only way to get into it.

This is my personal bias. I'll respect your opinions if you respect mine! :3
02/25/2017 7:29 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
CascadianX
Android, as an Android Application Developer, it is much easier to code in a language that is universal, such as Java. Java is used in a lot of things, like Minecraft. If you can code a plugin or mod, you can definitely make an Android Application. I have a few apps on the Google Play Store already
02/25/2017 11:05 pm
Carnivore
And then you get to Minecraft Win10 edition and it works ten times faster than MCPC/PE. It may be more universal to code on Java, but the performance is just not as good as C. Not even close. That's why the hardware is so easily made deprecated through iterations of Android packed devices that age very, very quickly.

That aside, writing an app for iOS is more profitable. As an unrecognized developer you have much more chances to get into the market through iOS where people instantly think all apps are great, as opposed to Android. We're talking about paid apps, of course.

You might have had a different experience, and I'm not doubting it, but it's just what it is from the tons of people I've talked to.
02/25/2017 8:53 pm
CaptainEvstike
Yes, more universal.
02/25/2017 5:26 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Wutherburg Project
Android FTW
02/25/2017 5:59 pm
CaptainEvstike
Ikr
02/25/2017 4:35 pm
CaptainEvstike
bump
02/24/2017 4:45 pm
CaptainEvstike
amazoDog161
I do think that Android has an advantage in file support though. I'm going to use the time I tried to edit a video in iMovie on an iPad as an example. I was trying to set an image as a picture in picture, but I quickly learned that only videos can be used with the feature. I ran the image through an online converter to turn it to a short .Mov file, but I couldn't actually save a video to the gallery like a photo.

Using my iPad, I tried converting my video to my PC. It worked fine, but when I tried sending my video back to my iPad to post on musical.ly, it was broken. Finally It was sent back (using many programs to fix it) but the file size was giant and couldn't be uploaded.
Another time, I tried using YouTube to mp3 to download music on my iPad without using iTunes. All it did was open up a new internet tab. On Android, it downloaded fine.
02/24/2017 4:40 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
From the two, Android, but I would choose Windows if it were an option.
02/24/2017 4:20 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
02/24/2017 3:20 pm
Konrad
CaptainEvstikeWith iOS, there is very little compatibility with 3rd parties. If you want to transfer a file, you have to convert it, and if you want to send it back, it's broken. On the other hand, Android supports many file extensions and you can simply transfer through USB or drive. It has a lot of cross-compatibility and is compatible with many file types. If it isn't, it gives you many options on what you want to do with it. With iOS, you have to use Apple, and only Apple's sharing, files, and cloud applications. You have to be loyal to Apple and are letting them steal your soul.

No. I can plug in the usb to my iPhone and into my computer and transfer files over such as pictures. I can email them to me like you can on Android. I can put them on iCloud and download them onto my pc. It is not as restrictred as you think.
02/24/2017 3:15 pm
CaptainEvstike
With iOS, there is very little compatibility with 3rd parties. If you want to transfer a file, you have to convert it, and if you want to send it back, it's broken. On the other hand, Android supports many file extensions and you can simply transfer through USB or drive. It has a lot of cross-compatibility and is compatible with many file types. If it isn't, it gives you many options on what you want to do with it. With iOS, you have to use Apple, and only Apple's sharing, files, and cloud applications. You have to be loyal to Apple and are letting them steal your soul.
02/24/2017 1:58 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
DimitarPlaysBg
Android
02/24/2017 10:10 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
AwareStatic
I personally have a lot of experience with both and I honestly prefer iOS although I can understand if people prefer android. IOS is just so much more common (in my experience) and it's much more user friendly. My opinion might be a bit dated though, as I used an Android 1 and another but slightly newer Android that I can't remember the name of and both of those are pretty old. It also seems like there are more iOS apps to choose from than Android. Again this is just from my personal experience, it was fun to talk about though
02/24/2017 2:03 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
DimitarPlaysBg
Lol, just download an virtual machine and try an cracked Android 7.
We will see who is more user-friendly.
Android, of course. That multitasking gave Android 3 steps after the IPhone.
02/24/2017 6:29 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Meme
Vincent _1987
Android because it's easier for me to hack =)

srsly tho, I really hate apple for these long updates, the need to fill in every detail of everything when you start, can't download certain stuff, and what-not.

don't you just hate it when your mom locks the app store?
02/23/2017 9:05 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc792389
[deleted]
02/23/2017 7:05 pm
CaptainEvstike
bump
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com