Are Donators killing servers for F2P users?

Sci-fi_killa_man's Avatar Sci-fi_killa_man5/4/15 7:07 pm
5/8/2015 5:08 pm
d1One's Avatar d1One
Title. I was on my favorite OP Prison server (sooooo relaxing ) and i asked to see what the server's host was. Since donors get flashy text and colored nicks my question was fazed out. I had enough and decided to play singleplayer where I remembered how many times it had happened. Donators just think F2P server users aren't important. Besides, I'm not paying 500 USD for a half-decent rank.
Sci-fi_killa_man
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/08/2015 5:08 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Button Pusher
d1One
This is a touchy subject. If most servers fully respected EULA then most servers would be broke. Running a server is expensive, unless its a 20 slot one... I mean, people dont really donate to help, they just do to have perks..

Bottomline is if EULA was enforced i bet at least 75% of servers would shut down.
05/05/2015 6:35 am
Level 38 : Artisan Ladybug
Lucy_the_Cow
I have to admit, it is rather annoying when you go onto a large server and ask for help, but your chat is drowned out by the constant flashing and color of donator names and nicks. But I guess you can't really complain, if people didn't "donate" owners probably couldn't afford to host the servers. But it is irritating when donator ranks cost over $100 and are really OP. I know a Factions server where a rank ($200+ I think) has access to /fly. That is just unfair, how can a non-flyer stand a chance against them in PvP.

Some donator ranks are worth the money though, I like seeing servers with ranks for $5 with a few nice features or those servers who sell the perks separately - so cheap people like me might one day have a chance at donating.
05/04/2015 9:17 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Contradictional
The answer "play somewhere else" is a good theory, there are tons of servers out there, but its pretty hard to find the ones that don't sell tons of crap. If you look on any minecraft list website, the top results are always paid ad's, where do you think they get the money? selling crap. If anything the EULA has hurt me because I can't even google search "minecraft server ftp" to find a server anymore because all I get is a ton of bloggers talking about mojang. That's why iv been tempted to just make my own server for a small group of active people and shell out 20 or so a month.
05/04/2015 9:00 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
FluffyCloudBunny
as long as any player has the ability to get an item that you can buy its legal for example if i have god kits buyable withingame money then i can sell them as donor things
05/04/2015 8:50 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Architect
Schwerpunkt_
Lex The Gallade
Let's take an example of what servers should be like. TF2 is what the Minecraft EULA wants to be. Paying for hats, and things that don't unbalance gameplay, like shiny reskins that look cool.

TF2 store sells guns too, though you can still randomly get them through drops, and trading.
05/04/2015 8:33 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
Huh.

Most servers don't follow the EULA anyways. Simple; play somewhere else.
05/04/2015 8:19 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
It's more the server owners than the donators themselvers.

The EULA does restrict some of the stupider elements of that, but guess what?

Still happens very often, so I guess the EULA didn't do that much.
05/04/2015 7:48 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Farmer
Lex The Gallade
"Donate" Does not mean "Donate" anymore. Minecraft servers with stupid donations come thick and fast. When you see the word "Donate" on a minecraft server, do yourself a favour and replace that with "Pay a ridiculous sum of money". Go ahead. Right now. Do it.

Oh, you're back!

Let's take an example of what servers should be like. TF2 is what the Minecraft EULA wants to be. Paying for hats, and things that don't unbalance gameplay, like shiny reskins that look cool.
05/04/2015 8:10 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
RiotShielder
We'll just see how long any major server lasts with a model like this.

Regardless, it's not your server, the owner has the right to set the price/abilities for such purchases, if you don't like how that server is set up, don't play on it. It's that simple.
05/04/2015 9:10 pm
Lex The Gallade
Have you been on multiplayer lately? about 95% of all servers have unfair kits/donation perks. Fact.

mr_T Creations
Lex The Gallade

TF2 store sells guns too, though you can still randomly get them through drops, and trading.

And that's fair. But minecraft payments...

>Force a nature

> Smite V, Fire, Knockback V, etc. etc. with full diamond with X enchants and a stack of Super golden apples

Team Fortress has balanced weapons, nothing is OP or valve would do something.
It suits playstyles. But a super sword and armour is just... no.
05/04/2015 9:05 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
Altitude Community
Sure, people can just leave if they dont like it. But that only solves the problem for THEM. We can't have kids starting servers thinking that its a means of making money and thinking its ok to charge people large sums of money for nothing but trash on the server. Its ruining the image of the community, making people leave the community in disgust, and making it very hard to people who actually do servers the right way.

I figure if your selling ANYTHING for more than the game itself, you need to step back and re-evaluate your prices. You are a server for the game- not a game in yourself. Your perks should not cost more than the game itself.
05/04/2015 10:09 pm
RiotShielder
It is a legitimate source of income if you have enough capital, and once again, they are the owners of the server, they can do as they please, so long as it isn't illegal.

That's true to an extent, but there are plenty of exceptions to that. Take Mineplex as an example. It uses Minecraft purely as a base, the majority of what you'll find there is not in vanilla Minecraft, so in that case, it makes sense to charge more than the price of the game. This applies to any other game that can be modded.
05/05/2015 6:16 am
Lex The Gallade
Even charging for mods is in direct violation of the End User License Agreement. (Ha! take THAT Skyrim!)
05/04/2015 8:18 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
It's Mojangs game, if they dont like the way the server is set up, they can always change it, servers are only allowed to sell cosmetic items, trails, pets, stuff that does not affect gameplay for anyone else. Hats for example is a good example of how cosmetics works. Valve is making a lot of money from people buying hats, big servers should be able to do something similar. they wont make millions, but it should be enough to pay the bills.

I do agree though, dont like the way the server is ran, then dont play on it.
05/04/2015 8:25 pm
RiotShielder
Mojang hasn't enforced the EULA at all, and EULAs haven't ever been viewed as valid in legal cases (Might be wrong in that).

Also, for a small server, cosmetic items might be enough to sustain it, but for any larger server (Mineplex, Hypixel, etc.) you'll need a lot more than what you could ever get from cosmetic items to pay for server/website hosting, developers, ads, etc.
05/04/2015 8:04 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is (Sparta!) true
05/04/2015 7:19 pm
Level 28 : Expert Button Pusher
ReptilianKitten
Just one question...is an F2P user a non donator?

But anyways, I hate when that happens!! I try to ask for something that could be kind of important (like losing a good item for example), and no one sees it because all the donators are chatting constantly! It's really annoying!
05/04/2015 7:18 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Jaded_Panda
if i remember right the eula doesnt let owners sell things that would give players a advantage over others (FTP)
05/04/2015 7:40 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
Sci-fi_killa_man
I don't mean that, but just ruining the experience with flashy chat and thinking that non-donors aren't important.
05/04/2015 7:11 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
heil_01
Didn't the EULA get rid of it?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome