Are group project contest entries fair?

Jnaejnae's Avatar Jnaejnae7/30/15 2:49 am
1 emeralds 905 5
7/30/2015 5:27 pm
Jnaejnae's Avatar Jnaejnae
As a disclaimer, Im not complaining, and I fully appreciate the amazing builds a team can put together. I mostly just want to see what others think. Now lets get the question.

Is it fair that entries made by 1 or 2 people are put on the same grounds as builds made with an average of 5+ builders? As the new project contest is coming to a close I would like to see what you think of it. I as a single builder, dont like working in a team. I think it would be a better idea to have separate contest entry category, one for group builds, the other for builds made by 1 to 2 people. It makes a more equal ground, allows more representation of independent builds, and compares groups more specifically making a more accurate representation of what people can do. The winner for group projects should get slightly more prize than independent builds as it promotes quality and team work, but thats just what I think. I think that would be a win for everyone. So do you think it would be better to let everyone compete group or not, or would you rather some categories to even the playing field and represent some of the more unseen singular builds?
Jnaejnae
Level 38 : Artisan Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/30/2015 2:50 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
so basically it is: remove blockworks and similar teams from the equation, then give them their own little team competition so they arent discriminated?

Personally, I feel like thats not gonna help much. Individuals entries will still be rekt by great individual builders, and team entries will still be rekt by great teams.
07/30/2015 5:27 pm
Jnaejnae
Ok, like I said I just want to hear what people think. I see where youre coming from, so lets leave it at that
07/30/2015 7:05 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
This would be a fair point if it wasnt for the fact that currently, there are at least 2 solo entries that are strong competitors for the team builds. Yes, build teams can place a ton more blocks in short time, but I dont know if you noticed, teams like sunfury made their entries in 24h (maybe a bit longer after the extension). Since the timespan is usually a full month, it is very possible to build enough to beat a team.

Also, lets not forget that its not simply teams in general that are winning, its the top level teams comprised of extremely skilled builders. If each of those builders was to make a solo entry, the contest would still contain a lot of high-quality entries.
If every person that is going to react to this thread were to team up, we could probably make it to the final leaderboard easily, perhaps even to the top 10. But as we are we can't beat the top-level builders that are in these teams you complain about.

EDIT: OP, don't worry, I'm not actually attacking you here despite this piece of text giving that impression.
The major problem with your proposal is that its impossible to check. There are builders out there that can build so fast, a team of decent builders wouldnt stand a chance to keep up with them. So the quantity of work would not be a good way to measure it. Teams could post their builds to the account of a single member then pretend said member had made it. Not that most of the big teams would, but a duo could get another person to help them and agree not to mention them, thus making the whole duo thing pointless.
07/30/2015 12:33 pm
Jnaejnae
Id say thats a good point. The advantage of the two categories is to make sure the BEST INDEPENDENT BUILD gets FIRST. The best builder still < 4 Best builders. Those guys that DO make great builds by just themselves would get MORE recognition in my idea. I dont think it matters that one great builder could beat 4 good builders, my idea would make it so the great 1 or 2 builders dont get trumped by some of the most amazing groups like block works even if those few builders had the BEST build not made by an organization. Get my point now
07/30/2015 3:02 am
Level 41 : Master Botanist
xHue
they need to have seperate contests for each, one contest for build teams and one for one person/2 people, both running at the same time with different judges, also so more people get a chance to be judges.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome