Are Laptops Modifiable? *Need Help*

RenegadeRad's Avatar RenegadeRad12/11/15 2:30 am
2/12/2016 7:05 pm
Azrath's Avatar Azrath
Heyy guys its been a while!

Okay, so this might sound stupid, but my question is simple - Can you mod a laptop like a PC?

I own a gaming laptop worth $800 and I don't want a desktop, because I travel a lot.

I wanted to increase my Ram, Graphics and Processor to keep up with the latest gen games, as I just brought witcher 3 and it is lagging af.

So any experts out there? Please I need help urgent!
RenegadeRad
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/12/2016 7:05 pm
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
GJ guys for reviving old thread.
02/12/2016 5:48 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Go for a desktop Trust me, These laptops suck, (Im on one atm And really really hate it) They overheat easily
02/12/2016 5:34 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
HDMC_CodeNameVexel
The only thing i can think of is getting a external GPU adapter for your laptop.
Considering ofc you have a solid amount of ram and a cpu, which are possible to swap out.
If having a GPU adapter, a 1x or 2x slot GPU and a small PSU in your luggage wont cause you too much bulk it should work fine. You can find small form factor PSU's that are smaller aka. non ATX. since you need only 2 or 3 power connectors depending on your card. Getting a fully modular one will save you alot of bulk (OFC you need the get the accurate TDP for the gpu u plan to use).
The prices on the GPU adapter are 50$ +.
This ofc means you will have to be in a hotel or near a power socket to use your external GPU.

In the other scenario if you meant gaming like in a bus or a plane then id say look into swapping parts on your laptop or just get a new one.
Im guessing there are larger battery banks with american/european "from the wall" power adapters but thats not my area of expertise.

Hope i helped
02/12/2016 5:20 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Taco
jtht
Usually with laptops in general you cannot upgrade the CPU, GPU or motherboard, but pretty much anything else like the HDD/SSD, RAM, Cooling fan and posibly WIFI are upgradable depending on the manufacturer.

Some HDD's can be replaced with an SSD for improved performance if they have the same connector.

If I were you I would do some research on your specific laptop and maybe even pop the case just to see how everything is set up in your laptop to see what parts are upgradable.
02/12/2016 2:41 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Miner
MrRandomMan
Only RAM is upgradeable. (and the battery)
02/12/2016 3:02 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Not true - see my post.
02/01/2016 8:24 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
It depends on the laptop. If you have a socketed CPU and a GPU on an MXM card (interface for non-soldered mobile GPUs), you can swap out pretty much everything but the motherboard, screen, keyboard, and trackpad (assuming you use parts with the same or at least similar TDPs).

What laptop do you have?
12/13/2015 11:57 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
RenegadeRad
Damn. My Laptop supports ram upgradation till 12gbs, dats gud. Any other tips and help?
12/13/2015 3:04 pm
Azrath
git gud.

Buy a new PC or by the looks of your style, new laptop. Would benefit you way more than trying to find how to "upgrade" un-upgrade-able, in most cases.
02/01/2016 8:20 pm
Level 43 : Master Creeper
Dr_Steve
Anything more than 12 or even 8 GB is almost unnecessary for gaming, however, if you're doing other non-gaming tasks though, you're still better off with 8 GB or 12 GB
12/11/2015 5:15 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
ItzAllDrama
Depends how much you are willing to pay for the Laptop to begin with. Most expensive gaming laptops 3k USD or higher usually you are able to change Ram or Storage space. Sometimes, the company (Like Alienware) makes other Machines and sells them to make your Laptop more powerful without paying a new one. The laptop I currently have is over 5K USD and you can change RAM, Storage Space, GPU and CPU. The link will be at the bottom.

http://gaming.msi.com/products/notebook ... es?id=3461
12/11/2015 4:25 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Very few laptops even support exchanging GPU's/CPU's. Even if they do, they have limits on how high you can go up, do to heat and power usage.

Also, buying laptop parts alone costs so much, I remember when the 780m came out, it was almost 1500 dollars, while a 780ti was miles faster and half the price. Haven't really looked at most stuff, but I see a upgrade kit for a 980m is around 815-850 dollars, when you can get a 980ti for cheaper than that.
12/11/2015 2:01 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/11/2015 8:22 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
I don't think you can modify most laptops after buying them. My tip would be to either save up for a new and better one, or transfer your laptops data (games and programs and documents and whatnot) to a portable harddrive then wipe it clean and sell it.
Assuming you bought it a few years ago, the money you have for upgrading now combined with the money you might get back from it should allow you to buy a laptop of the same cost but a newer generation, meaning it will have much better specs. you could then also buy a new one with modification options.
12/11/2015 3:58 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Mage
ssproad
There are some laptops that support changing out parts. But they aren't that common. You could look if you can exchange it .
12/11/2015 3:40 am
Azrath
Only add more RAM if its an option.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome