Are there too many minecraft servers?

craftergurl's Avatar craftergurl1/17/16 1:43 pm
1 emeralds 2.8k 82
2/6/2016 11:20 am
craftergurl's Avatar craftergurl
Without mentioning names there are at least 2 big ones that probably get about 90% of the players then there are hundreds of small servers. Would we be better off if there was only the two big ones or do we need the little guys also?
craftergurl
Level 33 : Artisan Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/05/2016 8:07 pm
Level 1 : New Network
coocoowhitesheep
I thought you were looking for unique servers, my bad.
02/05/2016 5:22 pm
coocoowhitesheep
Try my server , it has a vast world to explore with secrets, quests, dragon shout word walls, Bosses and more .

Unique never seen spells/ Dragon shouts :

Cyclone (Ven Gar Nos) Sends your enemies in the air and damages them:

Moonwell (Heals your friends) :

Taste the Rainbow: (Deals direct damage)

Different breaths to spew at enemies: (Frostbreath/TurkeyBreath/Dragonbreath):

There is lots more but here are just a few enjoy!
02/05/2016 6:16 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
This arent a advertising area, And its about is their "Too many servers" which is now true thanks to u
02/05/2016 5:39 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
Vigri
This is a debatable question on a forum. Not another chance to post yet another server.
02/01/2016 11:54 am
Level 25 : Expert Architect
NASH0XX
99% of the minecraft servers are crap (In my opinion), 1% of them are actually good and are worth of playing.
02/05/2016 5:20 pm
craftergurl
I have one of those good servers by the way
02/04/2016 3:05 am
Lachie1770
Not to mention 99% are all the same thing
02/03/2016 4:34 pm
craftergurl
that is something to think about
01/29/2016 11:19 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Architect
TotallyNotMe
It's better to have more than less. You don't want people getting bored.
01/29/2016 11:10 am
craftergurl
avrona
I feel that the big and small ones are necessary, OP.

I don't really understant why people think otherwise. In my opinion big servers are a lot better while smaller servers don't do much to make MC better as they are small and, in my opinion, less fun. The only thing I dislike about there being so many servers out there, is that they help paint an incorrect and negative picture about what my server is like.

good point avrona that makes sense
01/29/2016 2:36 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
I feel that the big and small ones are necessary, OP.

I don't really understant why people think otherwise. In my opinion big servers are a lot better while smaller servers don't do much to make MC better as they are small and, in my opinion, less fun. The only thing I dislike about there being so many servers out there, is that they help paint an incorrect and negative picture about what my server is like.
01/28/2016 2:24 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Mage
HeyItsPaul
So.. no small private mini games? Or even Minecraft Realms, it comes down under server. No cats craft either? Xddd BTW there are more than 2. Like hive or cube craft etc
01/28/2016 2:10 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
Altitude Community
I feel that the big and small ones are necessary, OP. I do not think that the question is as simple as "Should we only have the big ones or should we have the little ones too", though. There is a lot more to this topic - there being too many servers.

The big ones you speak of host many, many different "minigames". They do not, however, offer things such as factions, towny, or economy based survival, nor do they have the classic vanilla survival or creative. There are thousands of players that want to play the original Minecraft game with others, hence the reason for servers in the first place. If we only had the big players that would restrict players to choose between survial/creative alone in single player, or a completely different experience - minigames, in multiplayer. The smaller servers allow these players to enjoy creative and survival with others.

Smaller servers have many other benefits as well. Groups can find a server that they can call home and have a quiet peaceful experience on there. The big servers have a wild chat and hundreds of players making it difficult to sit down and actually play with a group without Skype or some other form of communication. Most multiplayer games have many servers. Take Call of Duty. There are many, many small games of 8-20 people rather than just two multiplayer games with hundreds of people.

I DO agree, however, that there are too many servers. Anyone can create a server and as a result there are way, way too many. With hosting available offering just click and run servers it has become a massive problem. There are thousands of kids running servers with little or no knowledge on how to do it. Some really mess them up, while others just don't really know what goes into a good server. As a result we end up with advertising websites littered by offline, unreliable, or trashed servers. Once we weed through those we have hundreds of the typical "how many features can I cram into a server" servers before we actually get to some of the decent ones that have a purpose.

I think we need a server reform. Advertising websites need a much more strict policy to prevent just anyone from jumping into the mess. I feel that anyone should be able to create a server, but they should be restricted to getting word out through friends, or maybe forums. Actual websites with server listings should be more strict to make the servers on there more professional.
01/29/2016 11:56 am
craftergurl
and just who would make these arbitrary rules wolf? the big servers since they got the bucks?
01/25/2016 6:53 pm
Level 27 : Expert Button Pusher
Gladrian
I've run a small survival server for more than two years. The community has never gotten that big, and only so many of the originals still play. Despite that, the server has created an environment that you could never get on a big server. Of course, I love the server since I run the thing, but from what I can tell, other players are having fun in ways they couldn't on a huge super-community. Every player knows at least nearly all the active players, and chat is always very interesting and lively. And as an owner, I'm actually able to talk to and receive feedback directly from the players. Sure, this does lead to a lot of people asking me for favors, but it also allows me to connect with the players enjoying the server I've worked so hard on. That's what the big servers lack. Sure, they have greater potential to create more great features because of the support and amount of donations they get, but they could never create the feeling of a small server. I don't think there are too many servers; there's just too many servers that are copies of others and/or are not well run. On the other hand, there are plenty of great small servers out there. Having too many low quality servers is just the price that is paid for the existence of a lot of nice small servers.
01/26/2016 2:31 pm
craftergurl
that is a good explination glad thank you for sharing that and you should tell us the ip if you want more players.
01/24/2016 4:46 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Modder
Chickens4Life
I dont think theres too many server but i do think theres too many of 1 type of server *COUGH COUGH* factions, this is because someone, (i mean alot) people found faction servers very sucessful but when they go off to make their own it isnt as good, just personal opinion i think there needs to be more modded servers so factions isnt the only big thing.
01/24/2016 6:41 pm
Lachie1770
And Theres too many mini game servers, which they are just money driven so if they completely vanished that wouldn't be bad thing. Just have One... Just one...
01/22/2016 12:15 pm
Prestina
There is never to much servers. Always good to be able to choose between many servers
01/31/2016 12:46 pm
craftergurl
did someone say there are 12 too many servers?
01/30/2016 11:38 am
craftergurl
having a choice it what makes them unique and then better
01/21/2016 9:04 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pokemon
NovaCat3
As everyone has been saying, the issue isn't that there are too many server, it's that there are too many BAD servers. The smaller servers are actually quite essential, in my opinion; the community is tighter and you actually get to know people rather than maybe spending a hour playing survival games with someone and then never seeing them again.
01/24/2016 9:46 pm
craftergurl
yes that is a great point and also the small servers keep the bigger ones competative and always making new minigames so that they stay ahead of the game
01/22/2016 1:55 am
avrona
Not all small servers are about community and survival. Sure they might be fun and "classic" or whatever, but it's not innovative. I prefer larger servers just because there is more to do and I never get bored of it. I'm not saying small servers are bad, they're not (at least those that are not copy servers). I even have a small server myself. Yet I kind of also dislike smaller servers because they create a negative picture around what type of server my server is. I covered the last issue in more detail on page 2.
01/22/2016 11:53 am
craftergurl
it seems that alot of the small servers have like one minigame and thats it like a specialty
01/22/2016 1:36 pm
avrona
That's another reason why people get confused about what my server is.
01/21/2016 5:19 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
01/28/2016 12:53 pm
craftergurl
now that is an idea all that is needed is a plugin dev that can make it
01/28/2016 1:04 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Architect
zain
Those servers already exist.
01/21/2016 3:03 pm
Level 45 : Master Dragonborn
Ninniy
I think the little servers make the game. They're a giant part of the game for some people, such as myself. I play with around 10 people at a time. You get acquainted with everyone, you create giant things with everyone, and there's not so many people that you struggle to even know a few.

What fun would there be if there was only 2 big servers? They'd struggle with storage and possibly with just not crashing. New gamemodes and such would be in high demand as well.

Right now, there's about 22,268,649 members of this game. Assuming a million or so people barely play, that would be 10,500,000 average people per server. That might be a bit off, but you get the point.

All of the little servers don't do any true harm, either. You may have to search through the server list to find 'the one', but that's an issue you have to deal with. This is a large game.
01/21/2016 9:35 am
Level 23 : Expert Dolphin
EmeraldEclipse
I don't think there are "too many" servers. Sure, there's a lot, and the majority are poorly run, but it's not like Mojang set a limit on servers and the bad ones are taking up space.

Honestly, I like servers for the player base and plug-ins or commands. I like playing some survival, then popping into creative for a few minutes, and walking around spawn, all with some friends. Thats why I made my little server so fancy, because I wanted it to be like one of the big servers, but without swearing little brats, griefing, and silly shooter
mini-games.

I've never had problems with server owners or admins/OPs being jerks, though.
01/21/2016 6:07 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Engineer
hmmcrunchy
Heey always room for the little guy!

I know its difficult to get smaller servers known in the forest of servers now available, but hey if you find a good one recommend it spread the word. Small is not bad.

We are small and lose money but hell I don't care but that just makes it more personal and fun. I'd play even if no one else came on its just a bonus we have some great people to share the fun with

smaller server are more open to feedback and can change things easier than the larger servers
01/21/2016 12:40 am
Lachie1770
Yes, There are too many Factions Servers and mini game servers.... Not many decent modded servers tho
01/20/2016 10:08 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Jaevyn
Way too many servers and it's way too easy to make one. The problem with so many servers, especially ones that pop up today and disappear tomorrow are that it thins out the player base. It's difficult to get a server with 30 players when there are a million servers to choose from. Add in the fact that so many are fly by night, take your donations and move on, the cookie cutter servers that are basically identical to every other one out there, or the completely for profit servers that just destroy the fun.

Me and my partner work hard to create unique servers that are 100% non-profit. It's tough but we don't do this for fame or money just because we enjoy the game. While we have a small player base it's a strong community and they know our servers will be around for years to come which gives players a little relief so they can relax and actually enjoy the game again.

TLDR yes there's too many servers, too many are identical to each other, and far too many are out there to make a profit, what we need are mature and dedicated server owners who do this for the love of the game
01/21/2016 12:41 am
Lachie1770
^ thats true tho
01/20/2016 9:51 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter
elfin8er
For players, I don't think there can be too many servers. But for server owners, I think there can...
01/20/2016 9:44 pm
Level 27 : Expert Scribe
BlueTideFSX
Yeah, I personally like small-ish servers with around 15-25 active players, but where they are very welcoming to new players. I don't however like the ones where there are 0-2 active players including the owner where the other players is his 'internet-buddy' who is hungry for Operator status and COO. It honestly disgusts me. I have owned, co-owned, developed, administered, moderated, and even simply helped around 35+ servers in my 3-year minecraft career. I have now landed in a spot without any management position in any of the 35+ servers I have managed, due to arrogant, conservative owners. So now I have a low-traffic private configuration 'business' and play on one server only, which is solely for fun: mcmagic.us I am basically a drifter with a heap of knowledge on his back with nothing to use it for, so I have settled down into my little forum-scouring niche.

In conclusion, in my day, small servers were great. Nowadays, good ones are hard to come around and huge servers are just greedy businesses. Yes, there are indeed way too many servers without much quality. Where has "Quality, not Quantity" come in what I call this 'next-generation' of minecraft server administrators?

Alright, that concludes my rant and if you had the patience to read the all, more power to you.
01/20/2016 9:28 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Network
MyZia
There are too many servers. Servers that are very generic; pvp factions, kit pvp, hardcore factions prison and basically the "cancer" servers. Servers that have an actual owner that cares about the players rather than looking at players as if they were walking wallets are the real servers. Too many 10 year olds who think they can be financially stable off of a minecraft server.
01/21/2016 2:46 pm
craftergurl
all businesses lose money in the beginning and require hard work and time and money before they turn any profit but as you said try to explain this to someone who just does not understand what a business model is and actually how much real money needs to be spent to get any business started.
01/20/2016 9:24 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
bonnydust
Theres not enough GOOD small servers. When we first wanted to join servers we looked long and hard for something pretty basic, survival, where pvp was optional not fact of life. In the end I only found one that truly met the requirements and wasnt like Alcatraz to get into!

Unfortunatley what the server was supposed to be and how it was actually admined and ran, were two very different things. So disallusioned from that started our own and based several of our rules and methods based on what I didnt like of the other server. Love our small community. It can be a bit slow still at times, hence I still advertise but find a lot of friends of players now joining and theres a real great community feel to it.

Since I have it I have no need to venture out and exp all the others out there, but my kids and nephew visit several and do expereince problems on them all from time to time. Generally they have one server for one thing, and then another for something different, very confusing but hey if it works for them who am I to judge.

For my server, its soley paid by me and will continue to be for as long as I run it, because I feel taking donations makes a player feel as if they have a right to tell me how to run it, and as they say "too many cooks spoil the broth".
01/20/2016 7:46 pm
Level 45 : Master Crafter
SensorialGlint6
jacieleavell
[snip]

and the self-advertisment spam starts......now

craftergurl
SensorialGlint6
craftergurl
One thing small server owners do is open the server before its really ready then they advertise but have glitches and stuff to deal with

Not all small server owners. I see many small server owners working hard before opening the server for public, or they release it partially done. The later often is to test current state and take community on board to help finish it off with their ideas.
One thing I dont understand is why some small server owners white list their server and then attempt to charge for membership when they have no community then they wonder why no one joines XD

I could see why they would change the servers to whitelist, especially if ones server is RP Heavy. Though I'm not fond of forcing players to write essay size just to join a server that they may or may not continue playing.

As to charging to join, I think can be classed as a server and network suicide.
01/20/2016 4:45 pm
craftergurl
SensorialGlint6
craftergurl
One thing small server owners do is open the server before its really ready then they advertise but have glitches and stuff to deal with

Not all small server owners. I see many small server owners working hard before opening the server for public, or they release it partially done. The later often is to test current state and take community on board to help finish it off with their ideas.
One thing I dont understand is why some small server owners white list their server and then attempt to charge for membership when they have no community then they wonder why no one joines XD
01/20/2016 12:33 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Warrior
jacieleavell
We are a really small server where people mostly build in plot-world, however we have worlds for most of your tastes... I am older (much) and the founder. The server has been passed down now two times and is still alive since August 2012 but not always kicking lately as many times I have forgotten to advertise for two, sometimes three days in a row. Seriously I need to get back in the grove on that Plz join us if you like a small community with friendly staff and very rated G for the kids. Thanks yall!
Remember, any server you go on is only as fun as your IMAGINATION!!
Hope to see you soon,
Gaming Granny,
Jacie Leavell

-snip-
01/20/2016 11:02 am
craftergurl
jjcyalater
ICEThat
And I think lag has something to do with your internet connection but I'm not sure.

Not in all cases, a lot of servers (normally really small ones) don't have enough RAM or processing power to handle the amount of plugins, worlds, redstone, players etc.

If I can run a well performing Bukkit server on a Pentium 4 with 1gb of RAM I'm sure resources isn't a problem for really small servers.

when running it on your own computer the problem with that is most people have a static ip that changes so the ip can change every day that makes it difficult for players to find your server
01/20/2016 2:09 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
jjcyalater
ICEThat
And I think lag has something to do with your internet connection but I'm not sure.

Not in all cases, a lot of servers (normally really small ones) don't have enough RAM or processing power to handle the amount of plugins, worlds, redstone, players etc.

If I can run a well performing Bukkit server on a Pentium 4 with 1gb of RAM I'm sure resources isn't a problem for really small servers.
01/19/2016 9:23 pm
Level 45 : Master Crafter
SensorialGlint6
craftergurl

01/19/2016 8:51 pm
craftergurl
SensorialGlint6I would agree, with people saying that it's more about quality that quantity of the servers.

Due to the big server, many want to be a copy cat of them. I bet there are 100's of servers that copy stuff to the T. There is also a lot of greed between server owners (no offense). It might be that I'm a bit older than most here and had time on other servers that just mc. But it seems that most of the servers, no matter how small, seem to be closed down if there is an indication of the donations downfall. When this happens it seems that such owners quickly close it down and make a new one. Such tactics in hand cause that the server quality are rushed, and not as good as they can.

Because of this it's extremely hard for unique servers to be given a chance to shine. I see many unique mc servers with pretty large budgets available, yet don't perform well.

PineappleOcelot9 Usually smaller ones have worse security and a lot of lag".

I would have to disagree, I know many server owners that overpay the server plans to make sure there is no any lag, or have many security options. Yet they get 5-20 players.

S_Hacker
[Snip]

I would have to partially agree with this statement. I find it interesting that people who claim to be making hundreds if not thousands from donations, shut their server down due to "lack of donations". Good example of this could be Syndicade's mc server, that was shut down due not receiving "enough" donations. Those are people that can host server for years.

Though this is coming from someone who played when owning as server was an amazing thing, not mostly used as a money making business by most. Servers would go into partnerships/sponsorship and owners would loose up to hundreds even with hundreds of players. I hope we can go to this time again, when saying "I own a large server" was impressive, when owners had fun despite loosing cash, when being large meant that the server has great quality. Maybe it's just too easy to obtain a server by 10 year old, who only want fast profits.

If your offended by above by the above, then I'm sorry about that. But most likely your a 10 year old that is part of the said problem. Keen to see constructive criticism if you have any.

01/18/2016 10:09 pm
craftergurl
Well S hacker yea they are greedy and one of the big ones announced a new minigame about a month ago and when I got there I found it located in a different spot then where their talking head youtuber said it was. They left everyone walking around in circles asking "Where is it" no one gave directions or anything. That big event was a flop.Its all about the money to them unfortunately.
01/18/2016 4:30 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Dragonborn
luigi_vampa
Personally I like the fact I can go on big servers and find my small little server's builds making their way into the bigger ones.

Bigger servers have higher creativity?
Pfft!
01/18/2016 3:03 pm
craftergurl
SensorialGlint6I would agree, with people saying that it's more about quality that quantity of the servers.

Due to the big server, many want to be a copy cat of them. I bet there are 100's of servers that copy stuff to the T. There is also a lot of greed between server owners (no offense). It might be that I'm a bit older than most here and had time on other servers that just mc. But it seems that most of the servers, no matter how small, seem to be closed down if there is an indication of the donations downfall. When this happens it seems that such owners quickly close it down and make a new one. Such tactics in hand cause that the server quality are rushed, and not as good as they can.

Because of this it's extremely hard for unique servers to be given a chance to shine. I see many unique mc servers with pretty large budgets available, yet don't perform well.

PineappleOcelot9 Usually smaller ones have worse security and a lot of lag".

I would have to disagree, I know many server owners that overpay the server plans to make sure there is no any lag, or have many security options. Yet they get 5-20 players.

S_Hacker
[Snip]

I would have to partially agree with this statement. I find it interesting that people who claim to be making hundreds if not thousands from donations, shut their server down due to "lack of donations". Good example of this could be Syndicade's mc server, that was shut down due not receiving "enough" donations. Those are people that can host server for years.
so too many copycats right?

Though this is coming from someone who played when owning as server was an amazing thing, not mostly used as a money making business by most. Servers would go into partnerships/sponsorship and owners would loose up to hundreds even with hundreds of players. I hope we can go to this time again, when saying "I own a large server" was impressive, when owners had fun despite loosing cash, when being large meant that the server has great quality. Maybe it's just too easy to obtain a server by 10 year old, who only want fast profits.

If your offended by above by the above, then I'm sorry about that. But most likely your a 10 year old that is part of the said problem. Keen to see constructive criticism if you have any.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome