Better Boats, looking for programmer

illdeletethis's Avatar illdeletethis2/5/15 8:17 pm
1 emeralds 885 3
2/8/2015 5:21 am
elias457's Avatar elias457
also posted this thread on minecraftforum, with no useful result yet
i know mods like small boats and archimedes, they are nice but serve a different purpose than what i am proposing

boats have long been somewhat of an afterthought in minecraft

yes, they mostly work for their intended purpose, getting you to another place you are separated from by water

but beyond that they are not very useful, being riddled with quirks and oddities

as they work now, they accelerate in whichever direction you look until hitting a speed cap, which is in no way close to how an actual boat behaves, interact only somewhat with flowing water, becoming completely unsteerable instantly without warning after a certain direction change, regularly hit blocks they aren"t getting close to, and repeatedly crash into water stopping movement for a splitsecond after which they judder when turning

imagine what would be possible with boats that actually work well instead, from cruising around that is actually fun, to tight canyon explorations, and races in which skill is decisive, requiring work on perfecting your inputs to get the best performance

so, what am i suggesting?

a boat, or a small series of boats with momentum, steered the way a rudder would, including tilt from where the force is applied relative to its center of gravity, with friction from the difference in speed to the water it moves on, and weight distribution to the sides having an impact

the controls i propose are the same keys and mouse already in use, but used differently:

W: accelerate boat forward relative to its rotation

S: accelerate boat backward relative to its rotation

A/D: shift player (weight) left/right in the boat

mouse: change rudder rotation according to orientation difference of player view and boat

as i am not a programmer i can"t make this mod, but i could help by making the models and doing pre release testing

so if you are a mod programmer interested in doing this, please go ahead, as it would be a great thing to have
illdeletethis
Level 24 : Expert Architect