Blogs - Good or bad?

Speedy's Avatar Speedy4/19/14 10:17 pm
4/25/2014 6:59 pm
PixelCrash_'s Avatar PixelCrash_
I have a question for PMC.
What are blogs and what do they mean to us?

I am personally against blogs. A few of my reasons go as follows.

- They are the easiest to create
- About 99% of blogs, in my opinion, are very poor
- They serve no contribution to Minecraft ingame
- Too many people get too much xp from them

What do you guys think?
Speedy
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/25/2014 6:59 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
PixelCrash_
Yes, there are an overwhelming number of bad blogs and spam ones, but there's also many good bloggers who put time and effort into their posts.
04/25/2014 6:55 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Zombie
Repson
Jiloacom
RepsonThis kind of offends me, i am a blogger who puts alot of work into making my blogs and think i do a pretty darn good job doing so. not all blogs are bad, take a look at my page, JIloacom's page, Azies Page and Jetra's Page. they are some of the best i know.

Awww thank you Repson

Anything 4 u bb <3
04/25/2014 4:02 pm
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
JetraBlogs aren't necessarily good or bad, they are just what the community makes them out to be.
Click to reveal
What one person thinks of them as bad, another might think as good, so you really should take the time to read and see if it's as bad as people say. I've been in that area and it really isn't that messy of a section as most members claim it to be, I would say Skins are far worse than Blogs, but that is just my opinion

Jetra, with your infinite wisdom
I agree to a point. Some blogs, are bad. (Edit: Made a list of bad blogs, and they mostly fit in one category) Blogs that aren't real PMC Blogs. Blogs is messy, but at least people don't plagairize (as much, them interviews...) in blogs as in Skins.
All in all, There are good blogs. Well written, content that appeals to the majority of the audience, with a nice attitude. There are bad blogs, de uns dat jus dun evn cre n shudnt b n da blugs. But there is a massive gray area, that even most(99.92%) of the "good" blogs fall in to.
04/25/2014 4:00 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Scribe
Jiloacom
RepsonThis kind of offends me, i am a blogger who puts alot of work into making my blogs and think i do a pretty darn good job doing so. not all blogs are bad, take a look at my page, JIloacom's page, Azies Page and Jetra's Page. they are some of the best i know.

Awww thank you Repson
04/25/2014 3:54 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Blogs aren't necessarily good or bad, they are just what the community makes them out to be. What one person thinks of them as bad, another might think as good, so you really should take the time to read and see if it's as bad as people say. I've been in that area and it really isn't that messy of a section as most members claim it to be, I would say Skins are far worse than Blogs, but that is just my opinion.
04/25/2014 9:06 am
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
NinniyFirst of all, good blogs that give give you tons of xp are not easy to create. They require grammar, spelling, great cover images, ect...

No. Well, yes, but they truly require subs. My blogs had impeccable spelling, wondrous grammar, and titillating vocabulary. I also spice them up with little images so they aren't long blocks of reading. The range of topics is pretty varied, from random stuff to gaming to guides on UUID, to the only PMC profanity guide. However, I don't have very many subs. Therefore, I don't hit pop-reel often, and people skimming through blogs just say "eh only 7 diamonds" or "who is Aethroz? blegh" and keep scrolling.
I have seen junk blogs with 50+ diamonds because the author wrote a good blog once, or is a good skinner, so he has a lot of subs.
Disclaimer: No, I'm not the best blogger. My blogs are kind of peculiar. I just mean to point out that grammar, spelling, and cover images are not the only thing that get diamonds.

Edit: I know what you are thinking because this is what I was thinking earlier: This guy probably has horrible grammar and can't spell worth a damn. Check out a blog of mine. Or just spellcheck this post. I r cun spel gud.
04/25/2014 8:56 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
CuteBlock
Keep ya extinguisher! I'm not going to flame. Keep your opinion
But i'm just going to say my opinion to some of your reasons why you are aginst blogs.

"They are the easiest to create"
Well we could say that to everything.
It can take people hours of work to make a blog.
Like the rest of the selections.

"About 99% of blogs, in my opinion, are very poor"
Well i don't know what to say. You don't giv any examples of the 99% poor blogs.
But i can say that every slection there is something poor.
Skins: Random weird skin that only took 2mins. (And possible stolen too)
Mods: MCreator.
projects: Look at my build that i didn't steal from Keralis.
I could go, on but i think ive made my point.
And besides not every blog is ba "Look at my server, How to gain exp!"
Alright moving along.

"They serve no contribution to Minecraft ingame"
Well i kinda understand that. If you don't like that.

"Too many people get too much xp from them"
Does bad skins gain a lot of exp? No. Does "Herobrine is real ohhemmgee i saw him!" Blogs get a lot of exp? No. Does hardworking skin and blogs do? Yes

"What do you guys think?"
I don't think you got valid reasons to be aginst blogs. But thats just my opinion.

Leeanneand I have never even clicked on that tab.

wait what?! So your giving a opinion on something you've never been on? :X
04/25/2014 8:16 am
Level 34 : Artisan Zombie
Repson
This kind of offends me, i am a blogger who puts alot of work into making my blogs and think i do a pretty darn good job doing so. not all blogs are bad, take a look at my page, JIloacom's page, Azies Page and Jetra's Page. they are some of the best i know.
04/25/2014 8:20 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Pixel Painter
TheMCBros99
Then your one of the 1% of the blogs that are good. Now chill out.
04/25/2014 8:26 am
Level 27 : Expert Pony
Hearts Glow
There was no reason to tell him to "chill out."
It's not like he was saying this:
L0L U GUYZ R IDITS I RITE S0M 0F TH BEST BLAGS 0N THE INERNET AN THIS GUYZ R MY FRENZ THEY RITE GUD BLOGZ 2 <not gonna put their names here> LUV U BBYZ
XOXOXOXO

Well, that was more over the top than I expected it to be.

*Grabs flame shield just in case.*
04/25/2014 8:28 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Pixel Painter
TheMCBros99
Oh jeez, I feel the flame coming. *Grabs fire extinguisher*

Back on point, but I mean like he didn't have to be even a little offensive. Like he didn't say ALL blogs are bad. And since he said he works hard, then I guess hes the 1%. Personally I don't care for any blogs
04/25/2014 8:08 am
Level 28 : Expert Nerd
GlissandoGirl
To sum up my answer, good blogs are good and bad blogs are bad.

There are the two sentence blogs with bad grammar about stuff everyone's read about already. But there are also good blogs with quality content and an organized layout. While a good amount of blogs are of the two sentence bad grammar variety, there are some gems in there. I have learned quite a bit from blogs, specifically tutorials.
04/25/2014 4:48 am
Level 24 : Expert Fisherman
Fishmastr
skillet4eva: it dont stop me from posting Blogs, but this is where my "Intention" changed from "xp gathering" to "Quality Content". For me good stuff should get its Reputation, but this is very hard if your submissions are buried among crap. So you said you dont check actively Blogs. So how would you notice a really good blog that would improve your skill a lot for example? (Dont say Pop reel!)

And as you can see my Blog got quite good amount of Diamonds and comments. So this strengthens me to continue it. And i will if something happens that is worth to tell.

Goku_LSSJ: If you want to do a weekly or biweekly blog you're free to. I prefer to post updates when i have something important to say and not Show People i am still active.
04/25/2014 4:13 am
Level 20 : Expert Zombie
Goku_LSSJ
Ignore this is double posted
04/25/2014 3:32 am
Level 42 : Master Fox
LuxLacis
"They are the easiest to create"
It's easy to create any submission, but to make a good submission is another story.

"About 99% of blogs, in my opinion, are very poor"
This can be said for a lot of things. There is still the 1% that are actually good blogs.

"They serve no contribution to Minecraft ingame"
Well that's totally false. You should have said 99% of blogs "serve no contribution to Minecraft ingame", still the 1% that does it worth checking out.

"Too many people get too much xp from them"
Actually, it's quite hard to get XP from blogs, unless you get lots of comments/diamonds/favourites, but you have to make a good blog to make that happen.
04/25/2014 3:17 am
Level 31 : Artisan Vampire
LadySpiderwick
If you're not a modder/skinner/builder etc blogs are a great way to level up, in terms of a great blog that stands out of a poorly done blog
04/25/2014 3:29 am
Fishmastr
So why do you Play minecraft if you're no "modder/skinner/builder"? ^^. Problem is that a new member can post a fantastic blog, but nobody would recognize. It would not get read/viewed by much People, so not got on Pop reel, and without hundreds of subscribers it will vanish in 15 minutes.

The Problem is that the actual bad Blogs get more views because everybody is checking if they are flagged. ^^ And nobody is searching for Blogs, all do a new article with Content that has already been in a blog more than 10 times.

Its a lack of effort even the Readers do. Why should i do work and search for Information i Need when i can just do a "please help me with ???" blog and everybody is bringing the Information right to me?
For example: there is at least 1 "how to make a Server" blog every day. But when i type "how to make a Server" which is actually the title of all those Blogs in the search bar i get 22,257 results. So what a crack can i be that i have something that was not said in all that Blogs before, and what makes my blog Special?
04/25/2014 4:13 am
Goku_LSSJ
I started off as a level one my blogs may not be the best but I post at least twice a week I've never submitted anything else but blogs I have 5 subs it's not much but if you are active post at least bi-weekly you should be fine and earn it up
04/25/2014 4:08 am
Level 31 : Artisan Vampire
LadySpiderwick
Well if that's your attitude then why do you try posting blogs instead of not bothering because the "bad/flagged" ones get all the attention? I posted a blog reviewing a map and yea not everyone may see it but if the map maker sees it I think that I've achieved it. Being negative and not posting a blog because people only see the bad ones shows you're easy in giving up.

I'm not one to actively check blogs but they're a good way if you're not the most fantastic builder, mod maker, map maker etc. I personally enjoy and may do review blogs of different maps but because the "bad/flagged ones will always be viewed first" should I just stop?

No it doesn't stop me. So why should it stop YOU if you know that the blogs YOU make are going to stand out from a poorly lack of effort blog? People are smart enough to know if a blog has had effort put into it and even if those badly made blogs get more attention and getting flagged that means those blogs are likely deleted so people CAN see your blog/s.

It's just an excuse to go on about badly done ones getting more views, what's to stop you from making a blog you know sounds and looks good for a read? I've seen some good blogs and good blogs take effort to make them different from the generic or poorly done blog.
04/25/2014 2:53 am
Fishmastr
Blogs in General are a good idea, but they suffer the same Problem as all other sections. Too many poor submissions make it hard to find the real Diamonds.

I personally spend some minutes a day to flag all that poor "how to make a Server", "how to get much xp", "Please help me", could continue this way for hours. But flagging is only the first half of the procedure, mods/admins have to finally delete them. So in the end it costs more time to delete a bad blog than to write one.

Maybe it would be better if new Blogs have to be approved by mods/admins. As this would give way less spam, but also some new work for PMC staff.

I think the "General" Problem is that People tend to submit to get xp and not to make PMC a collection of Quality Content. To be honest when i started i was that oppinion too, but get away from that very fast, when i saw how the high Level People got their xp. Mostly they have one great Submission but have not been online for weeks or even months. So for me there is no Need to get a high Level. I just want to find Inspiration here! And that should be the message new Players should follow too...
04/19/2014 10:39 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Archer
gusgus
04/19/2014 10:39 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Artist
Old Potato Logic
I really thought you guys were being sarcastic in the cyperion chat.. And now you've actually made this forums topic..
04/19/2014 10:38 pm
Jiloacom
04/19/2014 10:37 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
You gain no more experience from blogs than any other submission. As a writer, I don't appreciate the generalization that all blogs are poorly written or easy to create. As for not contributing to Minecraft in-game, you're right, but the rules don't say they have to.
04/25/2014 4:11 am
Goku_LSSJ
OHhhhhhhhhhhh aziesss bringing in the heat....
04/19/2014 10:29 pm
Level 45 : Master Dragonborn
Ninniy
I'd say that I support blogs. Kinda. Maybe in between, you know?

First of all, good blogs that give give you tons of xp are not easy to create. They require grammar, spelling, great cover images, ect. People like vikki and VladimirVolchenkov probably work hard on thert blogs, and like I read in one of vikki's blogs, many good bloggers quit because they had hard times coming up with ideas.

I agree that only some people can make good blogs, but I wouldn't say that 99% of them are poor. I've read tons of awesome blogs, and I've also seen tons of awful ones. I'd say that there is maybe a 55% chance of finding a good blog.

They can serve contribution to Minecraft. The tutorials and articles could be Minecraft related, for example I learned from a blog how to give yourself 100 hearts with /effect and there are some that have potion effect and block IDs to help you in-game.

I disagree that you get a lot of xp from them. Only the good blogs get diamonds and favorites, and they have a lot of effort put in them like my claim #1 says.

TL;DR: I am in between of liking blogs and against them.
04/25/2014 7:51 am
Level 25 : Expert Hunter
bigf
:O I feel loved
04/25/2014 4:05 pm
Level 45 : Master Dragonborn
Ninniy
04/19/2014 10:27 pm
Level 25 : Expert Artist
Amgini
bl0gin r 4 scrubs

thx

-Contrast
04/19/2014 10:30 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Toast
GG50
04/19/2014 10:37 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Archer
gusgus
04/19/2014 10:26 pm
Jiloacom
LeeanneI don't know much about the blogs on here, but I will agree, they don't really belong on PMC. Honestly, I don't care for the blogs and I have never even clicked on that tab.

If you haven't even clicked on the tab, how can you make an opinion on them?
04/19/2014 10:25 pm
Jiloacom
I think that if you actually take some time to write one, and use an original topic, you can make an amazing blog. It's just that most people don't do that, thus they ruin the reputation of blogging.
04/19/2014 10:24 pm
Level 26 : Expert Unicorn
Leeanne
I don't know much about the blogs on here, but I will agree, they don't really belong on PMC. Honestly, I don't care for the blogs and I have never even clicked on that tab.
04/19/2014 10:21 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Toast
GG50
Some blogs are good, but most are bad; Not against them though.

All but one of your points (being easiest to create) can be applied to all of the other categories IMO.
04/19/2014 10:26 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Pony
StillCat
Basically what I wanted to say. I think you just need to find the right blogs - I myself enjoy making them, and I love finding good-quality ones. You can often find the great ones on the Pop Reel.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome