My Builds, Your Opinion

Shirotsuchi's Avatar Shirotsuchi7/22/14 10:51 pm
1 emeralds 1.7k 28
1/24/2015 5:08 pm
Shirotsuchi's Avatar Shirotsuchi
As the title implies I was hoping I might get feedback on my builds that have been uploaded thus far on PMC. I am unsure as to what I could/can do to improve them. Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated!

As it doesn't seem to allow me to post a new forum I am going to tweak this one.

So far I have taken everyone's comments into account, and have changed my Dwarven spawn design. Anyone and everyone's feedback on the new spawn would be much appreciated, thanks!
Shirotsuchi
Level 18 : Journeyman Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/23/2015 3:39 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
TheCrazyPanda
I do like your builds, but I'm trusting that you are wanting a honest and helpful critique of your builds. Well, to me it looks like you did put a lot of effort in, which is good, but it may be worth trying to add detail. Such as making a solid stone brick wall into two layers, and add a stone brick pattern. It really does help. I can tell that you are on your way to becoming a good builder.
01/23/2015 3:24 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
to stitch together the entire depth and detail talk, i have a couple of tips.

We'll start with block palettes. A basic palette should have at least 1 stone or wood type in, preferably 1 of both. a stonetype is anything that has stone in its name (except redstone), a woodtype is logs or planks (oak,spruce etc). If you choose a stonetype block you can use any block of the same sort (cobble block, so stairs slabs and walls too). For a woodtype, same, though I recommend against acacia as it doesnt fit in with much.

Apart from that, you want at least 1 color block (wool,glass,clay), and one variation block. I'll get back to what variation blocks are.

There's your basic block palette. You can make a good structure with a pallette like that.
For more fancy stuff, there's more things. For once, theres small detail blocks such as flowerpots and custom heads and buttons and all. Also, translucent blocks and lighting blocks. glass, ice, water and iron bars are translucent blocks, which should only be used for windows or to cover lighting in most cases, except when you want to make fire, magic or special effects on structure, or want to cover up lighting.

Lighting blocks are glowstone, redstone lamps (and ore), unactivated beacons, lava, portals and endportals. Torches and redstone torches do not count, since they are often quite ugly (unless you make them float, or use item frame techniques, but those are more difficult in 1.8).
Use lighting to emphasize certain areas of your builds, or ofc to provide light when needed. Try to always cover any glowstone you use with a translucent blocktype, or at least hide it.

That's the most of block palettes.

Next up, detailing. There's 2 types of detail, structural detail and natural detail. Structural is with stairs and slabs and the likes, natural detail is complex stuff like using buttons, pressureplates and the like to recreate real things.

About structural detail: this is the type that 'depth' applies to. Technically, what you want to do is called 'layering'.
The principle is this: If you try to cram enough detail to make a greatly detailed build into a single or even 2 layers, it becomes really cluttered and ugly, not to mention it looks flat. However, if you use 3 or more layers, you can spread it over those.

By a layer I mean if you have a straight wall, it can be 1 block deep. Thats 1 layer.
If you have pillars or some form of structural detail sticking out, thats 1 layer. If you then have an indent of sorts not blocked off completely by fences or iron walls, thats another layer.
If you put some detail in each layer, preferably of the same type, it'll end up looking real nice.

I dont know a lot about natural detail, except it works best in the 1.7 conquest resource pack, as they have lots of things for it. Try spiderweb metadata.
01/24/2015 5:08 pm
Shirotsuchi
Hi Fantasymaster

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an in depth and detailed response as to HOW to do these things. So far I have since been working on the Dwarven spawn and will soon be uploading the finished product. Within the updated design, I've merged the blocks for a smoother transition, and added more lighting and much more depth and would like to hear your opinion on the final design. As for the other 2 builds it will likely be a while before I can come out with the updated product. Thanks again for the helpful information and very nice builds yourself
01/23/2015 2:17 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Loubatron03
I think the contrast of the blocks on the first and last one are very good. However, I think you need to put more detail in the 2nd build! Otherwise, very good attempt, they came out well!
01/23/2015 2:13 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Could've been way better. The concept is good, but the execution not that much. Use more blocks and add depth to your build's walls etc.
01/22/2015 5:36 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Architect
DivineMedicus
I like the concept. I think if it were built at a larger scale the detailing would come naturally.
01/23/2015 2:07 pm
Shirotsuchi
Thanks Divine, so you think it's more along the lines of needing to be bigger, rather than to add additional detail? Would there be anything in there that you say that could potentially be added? I was just walking through it earlier and realized there were definitely some thing that could be improved upon in the spawn... As for the arena I will have to start again from square one as the old server it was on is gone now!
01/22/2015 5:32 pm
Shirotsuchi
Thank you very much everyone for your opinions. I am just getting back into MC, and have decided to finish these builds, and update them to contain more detail. Is there anyone out there that could offer suggestions on what type of blocks to add for detail?
07/28/2014 4:43 am
Level 1 : New Miner
grogamous
Only decent build is the Dwarvish spawn, sorry to say. :/
07/28/2014 3:34 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Architect
AlthalosBuilds
I like your initial idea renderings, but I would suggest adding focus blocks and block types that divert attention to texture, such as slabs, stairs, fences, walls, things of that nature. I would also add more colors and wall patternings. You lack in detail, so that could also be improved.
07/26/2014 9:10 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
jorelmorell555
Do you mind building for a factions server I really like your ideas Skye @ jorelmorell555
07/26/2014 8:59 pm
Shirotsuchi
Shirotsuchi wrote:

xPotatoFrys wrote:My advice is more of a variety added to the blocks. Otherwise, I think it looks fantastic!

Haha thanks Potato, most people seem to be saying the exact opposite xD could you explain a bit more as to what you mean by adding variety?

He means add more blocks to your pallete bro .

Thanks for the clarification

add more depth, flow and detail and make them less box shaped, im working on a castle that I will show you for an example...

Thank you for the advice redstone, currently I have made drastive improvements to the arena, as well as a few to the jousting arena but am not yet ready to upload the pictures on them yet.
07/26/2014 8:55 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Redstone_wired
add more depth, flow and detail and make them less box shaped, im working on a castle that I will show you for an example...
07/24/2014 9:33 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Explorer
xPotatoFrys
My advice is more of a variety added to the blocks. Otherwise, I think it looks fantastic!
07/26/2014 8:19 pm
Shirotsuchi
Haha thanks Potato, most people seem to be saying the exact opposite xD could you explain a bit more as to what you mean by adding variety?
07/26/2014 8:46 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Blockhead
RafSeazZGaming
He means add more blocks to your pallete bro .
07/24/2014 9:28 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Backwoods12
hello my name is Backwoods12 my friends call me Backwoods12. and i own and manage a builders team called Diamond Labs INC. i would love to have you on my team
07/24/2014 12:35 pm
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
better than i can do

i just finished working on my dirt box house
07/24/2014 12:34 pm
Level 22 : Expert Taco
FLAMESS123
pretty good. I like the dwarvish spawn alot
07/24/2014 1:46 pm
Shirotsuchi
Thanks Flamess. glad you like it!

karrthus1better than i can do

i just finished working on my dirt box house

Haha, thanks though I feel I can still improve vastly on my builds. You know, those dirt box houses from what I hear can be very tricky!
07/24/2014 12:30 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Blockhead
RafSeazZGaming
Hmm.. Here are my opinions:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... pvp-arena/ <-- Lacks some detail and depth on the exterior parts of the build. The first pic looks cool tho.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... a-2994792/ <-- I can see a bit of depth.. But, It lacks detail. Thats all I can say

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/dwarvish-spawn/ <-- Nice dwarf organic. But still, I see some lack of detail and depth on most parts. Some rooms in it are built with WorldEdit, clearly //hsphere. Making so without detail to hide it a bit, makes it a little unatractive. But very nice concept .

Thats my opinion. I hope you improve more! I see some potential on you dude. Just keep practicing and you'll be fine
07/24/2014 1:43 pm
Shirotsuchi
Thanks a lot for the helpful ideas. As you had likely noticed I'm doing well in way of improving detail but I've never been overly that proficient in providing the type of depth that you do.
07/23/2014 5:53 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Dragonborn
luigi_vampa
Nice. Image 2 of the dwarf spawn is sweet.
07/23/2014 2:31 pm
Shirotsuchi
Thanks! Are there any ideas which you think could improve it?
07/23/2014 5:37 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Taco
monte carino
Make it Bigger. Not necessarily bigger buildings... Just more
07/24/2014 12:02 pm
Shirotsuchi
There is quite a large mall behind where I had taken the pictures which blends into spawn. I hadn't uploaded it because I wasn't the creator.

Any more comments on improvements which I could do would be greatly appreciated!
07/22/2014 11:57 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
WhimsicalTuber17
Links to said builds would be nice to we don't have to dig through your profile to find them.
07/23/2014 12:19 am
Level 30 : Artisan Geek
Z645
He only has 3 builds on his profile. What's to dig? LOL
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome