Can't allocate RAM.

Floweh's Avatar Floweh11/20/14 6:07 pm
1 emeralds 2.7k 37
11/20/2014 10:03 pm
searchndstroy's Avatar searchndstroy
Whenever I try to play Minecraft I noticed really bad frame rates and stuttering, I knew I could run the game fine as I have played Minecraft for quite some time now. I opened up the F3 menu to see my the dedicated RAM to my game was really low 500MB.

I have gone into the launcher and tried to allocate 1GB/2GB/4GB and none of them work, I have 64Bit Java installed and it used to work. I have re-installed Minecraft numerous times and I am stumped as to why it won't change.

Here's my Launch Parameters, a screenshot of the RAM in F3 mode and my system specs: http://imgur.com/a/VljlK

Any help is really appreciated, thanks a lot,
Floweh

Edit:I tried setting the Launch Parameters to "-Xmx4096M -Xms4096M" and got the following error:

Error occurred during initialization of VM
Initial heap size set to a larger value than the maximum heap size
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M
Floweh
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/20/2014 8:25 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
WarButter
Hmm.. maybe you can try using the Java JDK version.
11/20/2014 9:45 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Modder
searchndstroy
I don't know what to say to that...
JDK is for developing applications.... It has nothing to do with performance....... It simply allows a developer to compile Java code.
11/20/2014 9:49 pm
WarButter
/
PLEASE STOP CRITICIZING EVERYTHING I SAY!

Thank You

The Java JDK Version has a lot of debugging tools which might be usefull like JVisualVM!
11/20/2014 10:03 pm
searchndstroy
Very true actually. I like how you can say stuff and then ACTUALLY BACK IT UP.

EDIT:

For people who don't know, JVisualVM can see what's taking a long time to execute, nailing down problems.
11/20/2014 7:38 pm
WarButter
...Or reinstall GPU drivers...
11/20/2014 7:47 pm
Floweh
They were up to date but I re-installed them anyway, same result.
11/20/2014 7:36 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
As I said earlier, it may be a driver issue. Try updating your GPU drivers.
11/20/2014 7:27 pm
WarButter
Do you have your monitor cables plugged in your gpu slot? or do you maybe have it directly on the one on the motherboard?
11/20/2014 7:28 pm
Floweh
Both in the GPU, the on-board graphics card is disabled in the BIOS.
11/20/2014 7:12 pm
WarButter
Do you know what changed since you cant play it normally anymore?
11/20/2014 7:17 pm
Floweh
Well reading this I had a thought, last time I played was like 1.7.4 so I downloaded this one to try it out, FPS isn't what it used to be but it's 150+ compared to the 30-50 on 1.8 :s
11/20/2014 7:04 pm
Floweh
Exactly, my laptop with a 740m runs it better than my main PC lol.
11/20/2014 7:12 pm
searchndstroy
I don't work with specific types of CPU's/GPU's, so I have no clue what's good or not.
11/20/2014 7:21 pm
Floweh
11/20/2014 6:58 pm
WarButter
Try using MultiMC as i stated in a previous reply
11/20/2014 7:01 pm
Floweh
I used it and it kept running the game with 4GB of ram and still poor performance, the CPU is indeed overclocked however I made a typo and Speccy doesn't show turbo speeds as you can see x44 multiplier. http://prntscr.com/58gk6x
11/20/2014 7:01 pm
searchndstroy
MultiMC is a launcher......

OP, unless you have a terrible GPU, I don't think it's the problem. (Unless you're doing some type of GPU intensive program in the background, such as bitcoin mining.)
11/20/2014 7:02 pm
WarButter
MultiMC is a launcher......

For debugging purposes -_-
Just to exclude a lot of possibilities
11/20/2014 7:02 pm
Floweh
I have a 280x OC model and it's doing nothing, it's never mined and my PC has an uptime of 5 mins with the same result of shit fps.
11/20/2014 6:57 pm
searchndstroy
Floweh
Searchndstroy
FlowehI tried to lower it down to 1GB and now it won't get off of 4GB, I have even unticked the "JVM Arguments" box and still running with 4GB of RAM. This is actually so dumb lmao, I'm still getting piss poor FPS as well... And to the guy above my graphics card should be fine as I run all my other games fine day in day out.

Restart your game after editing the RAM allocation settings.

As for your GPU:
Minecraft is more CPU based.
Minecraft does NOT use shaders, which uses a considerable amount of GPU resources.
Minecraft has very low resolution graphics.

I have ran tests with overclocking and underclocking my CPU, the FPS was being changed significantly.
1.6GHz -> 0.8GHz = FPS roughly cut in half. (Give or take 5.)
1.6GHz -> 2.8GHz = FPS increased by 50.

I have an i7 3770k overclocked to 4.6GHz, the CPU isn't exactly weak lol.

Huh, is anything eating your CPU resources in the background?

I have an AMD APU A8 3520M, (Not powerful....) and I run Minecraft at ~90 fps.
11/20/2014 6:57 pm
WarButter
Floweh wrote:
I tried to lower it down to 1GB and now it won't get off of 4GB, I have even unticked the "JVM Arguments" box and still running with 4GB of RAM. This is actually so dumb lmao, I'm still getting piss poor FPS as well... And to the guy above my graphics card should be fine as I run all my other games fine day in day out.

As for your GPU:
Minecraft does NOT use shaders, which uses a considerable amount of GPU resources.

I have ran tests with overclocking and underclocking my CPU, the FPS was being changed significantly.

CPU is not the problem if you read the OP's posts...

OP has an Intel Core i7 3770K running at 3.50 GHz

Searchndstroy wrote:
Floweh wrote:
I tried to lower it down to 1GB and now it won't get off of 4GB, I have even unticked the "JVM Arguments" box and still running with 4GB of RAM. This is actually so dumb lmao, I'm still getting piss poor FPS as well... And to the guy above my graphics card should be fine as I run all my other games fine day in day out.

As for your GPU:

Uhm, I dont think its overclocked...
11/20/2014 6:53 pm
Floweh
Searchndstroy
FlowehI tried to lower it down to 1GB and now it won't get off of 4GB, I have even unticked the "JVM Arguments" box and still running with 4GB of RAM. This is actually so dumb lmao, I'm still getting piss poor FPS as well... And to the guy above my graphics card should be fine as I run all my other games fine day in day out.

As for your GPU:

11/20/2014 6:43 pm
searchndstroy
WarButter
Adding RAM will not increase performance.
Adding more than 1GB of RAM is useless, and will only do more harm. (Maybe 2GB if you have a high render distance + a lot of mods.)

Adding more than 1GB of RAM is useless, and will only do more harm. (Maybe 2GB if you have a high render distance + a lot of mods.)

Read the post above me for more information.

Also, your launcher only needs 512MB of RAM.

Also, your launcher only needs 256MB of RAM.

Dude, write your reply to an end, you're editing a lot, which causes miscommunication :p

I only added information. Also, I only see my mistakes after reading my posts a couple of times. (Please, let's stay on topic.)
11/20/2014 6:42 pm
Floweh
11/20/2014 6:50 pm
searchndstroy

As for your GPU:

1.6GHz -> 2.8GHz = FPS increased roughly by 50.
11/20/2014 6:46 pm
WarButter
Do you maybe have multiple graphic cards? (or an intergrated one?)
Try checking your graphic settings for which card it is using...

I suggest you try using MultiMC to launch minecraft
See if its any diffrent.
11/20/2014 6:40 pm
WarButter

Also, your launcher only needs 512MB of RAM.

Dude, write your reply to an end, youre editing a lot which causes miscommunication :p
11/20/2014 6:37 pm
searchndstroy

11/20/2014 6:35 pm
WarButter
Launch Minecraft with less memory (yes, really). It needs maximum 256 MB and runs fine on all settings with the default texture pack. By default java allocates insane amounts of memory (1GB?) which then gets swapped to disk and the overall performance suffers a lot.

Note that launchers that use less memory should only be done with vanilla Minecraft. Vanilla means no texture pack, mods, etc, just plain Minecraft. If done with memory intense mods (humans+, mo' creatures) or a texture pack that's bigger than 16x then the FPS may be hurt, or you may run out of memory. DO NOT USE MORE MEMORY THAN YOU HAVE! If you have 1gb ram and use a 2gb launcher it will crash your game and computer.

384mb is recommended for vanilla.
512mb is recommended for mods that add a few new mobs, or use of a higher resolution texture pack.
1024mb is for many new mobs like mo creatures, and super high res texture packs like x128.
2058mb is A LOT of new mobs like mo creature, humans+, pokemobs, etc. Also if you have out of memory problems.
4096 is unnecessarily high, but it is possible.

Adding more memory than default may help if you have a lot of spare RAM.
11/20/2014 6:33 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Floweh
Edit:I tried setting the Launch Parameters to "-Xmx4096M -Xms4096M" and got the following error:

That's because you forgot to remove the -Xmx flag that's already in the launch parameters. Remove it and you'll have Minecraft giving itself 4 GB of RAM.

However, I've rarely seen Minecraft require more than 1 GB, let alone the 2 GB I give it. Use -Xms512M and -Xmx2048M and you should be fine in terms of memory allocation.

This probably won't fix your stuttering problem, though; that might be caused my driver issues or a failing card.
11/20/2014 6:32 pm
WarButter
How much ram did you dedicate now?
11/20/2014 6:27 pm
Floweh
WarButter

You souldnt have the same values... forgot to mention that...

Try:
java -Xmx4096M -Xms1024M -jar "Minecraft.exe"
pause

I fixed my dedicated RAM problem, it was a corrupt version of Java, had to un-install and delete some files in safe mode and it let me re-install, while that's all well and good I am still getting really poor performance... I'm struggling to get 60fps where I used to get 250+ with ease...
11/20/2014 6:24 pm
WarButter

You souldnt have the same values... forgot to mention that...

Try:
java -Xmx4096M -Xms1024M -jar "minecraft.jar"
pause
11/20/2014 6:20 pm
WarButter
By default, Minecraft will allocate 1 GB of RAM for itself. So this is weird.

Please try the following:

Open your Minecraft game directory. This is the folder that contains the Minecraft.exe file that you launch to play Minecraft.

Right-click and select New --> Text Document. This will create a new text document in the same location as the minecraft.exe file. Name the file "Minecraft New Launcher" or something similar.

Enter in the code to allocate more RAM. Enter the following code into your text document:

java -Xmx####M -Xms####M -jar "Minecraft.exe"
pause

Change #### to the value in megabytes that you want to allocate. To allocate 2 GB, type 2048. To allocate 3 GB, type 3072. To allocate 4 GB, type 4096. To allocate 5 GB, type 5120.

Save the file as a BAT file. Click File and select Save As.... Change the file extension from .TXT to .BAT.

Check that your settings are working. While playing the game, press F3 to open the console. Look for the "Allocated memory:" message to see how much memory has been allocated to Minecraft.

Please post back if this is or isnt working....
11/20/2014 6:25 pm
searchndstroy
This is the way to add RAM to the launcher. Complete waste of resources.

FlowehWell my game used to run fun and now I struggle to get above 60fps, I can't use HD texture packs as I don't have enough RAM and I have chunk loading errors.

As far as I knew Minecraft auto gave 1GB so if this is correct there's something wrong.

This is a weird error, as of Java should never rely on environment paths.
11/20/2014 6:20 pm
Floweh
Well my game used to run fun and now I struggle to get above 60fps, I can't use HD texture packs as I don't have enough RAM and I have chunk loading errors.

As far as I knew Minecraft auto gave 1GB so if this is correct there's something wrong.
11/20/2014 6:15 pm
searchndstroy
You don't need more RAM.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome