Can’t get Forge to work on my mac?

Mr A Man2's Avatar Mr A Man28/1/14 10:41 pm
8/2/2014 8:12 pm
Mr A Man2's Avatar Mr A Man2
So I’ve been trying to get Forge working on my mac for days so I can start creating mods, but nothing has worked.

I downloaded the Forge 1.7.10 recommended build (src) from the website and extracted it. I opened up a new Terminal window, redirected it to the forge folder using “cd”, and typed in “bash gradlew setupDecompWorkspace”. The terminal does all its work, but when its finished, I check the forge folder and the eclipse folder is empty. I have tried numerous commands, like "./gradlew" with/without the bash, and "gradlew eclipse”, but nothing puts any files into the eclipse folder. When I open eclipse and point it to that blank folder, the program is of course blank, and I cannot mod.

I have tried copying files from the eclipse folder on an older windows machine, but when I ran eclipse I get an error saying that a .project file is missing.

I just want to be able to create mods on my mac.

Thank you to anyone who is willing to help
Modify message
Mr A Man2
Level 22 : Expert Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/02/2014 8:12 pm
Mr A Man2
Never mind guys, I got it to work. I just ran "./gradlew setupDecompWorkspace --refresh-dependencies” on my previous mod directory and that fixed the missing file error, making eclipse usable with my old mod. As for the blank eclipse folder, I guess that’s just a Forge bug or something. It may also be that I’m running Java 8, since I’m in the Yosemite Public Beta. Oh well, guess we’ll have to see. Thanks for the help
08/01/2014 11:45 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
LuigiFan42
This is a total guess but maybe Forge 1.7.10 isn't very stable. I crashed once while using it, so...

Did previous versions of Forge work for you? If it did work on whatever older version then try downloading a older version of a mod that you're trying to use. If it's 1.7.10 only, then try the other versions of Forge 1.7.10. These are total guesses and may not work, but I hope it will.
08/01/2014 11:48 pm
Mr A Man2
I have never tried it on any older version, but the older computer I was talking about in my post was a PC running the same version of forge
08/01/2014 11:55 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
LuigiFan42
Oh ok, so I have three questions:

1. Why can't you use your old PC to mod?

2. Continuing from question 1, is your old PC just very old and Minecraft doesn't run very well on it?

3. No offense here but why did you even buy a Mac in the first place? In my personal opinion, I would have gotten Windows.
08/02/2014 12:55 am
Mr A Man2
1. My old PC barely runs anymore but I decided to try running forge on it with a mod I made somewhere else. It gets max 15 fps on Minecraft lowest settings. Forge worked but it was too painful to try and set up eclipse and all the necessary dev stuff.

2. ^^^^

3. I bought a mac about a year and a half ago because I need it for iOS software development. I also just prefer the style as well as the reliability I get with it. Plus I always have the option of running Windows under bootcamp or parallels if I so choose to.
08/01/2014 11:06 pm
Level 20 : Expert Architect
lawhichcraft
Oh create mods? Use the Minecraft Coder Pack although I'm not sure if they are updated to 1.7.10
08/01/2014 11:06 pm
Level 81 : Elite Programmer
pau101
Have you tried the "chmod +x gradlew" command? Then try "./gradlew setupDecompWorkspace --refresh-dependencies"
08/01/2014 11:30 pm
Mr A Man2
I just tried that, but unfortunately the eclipse folder is still blank. I noticed it was skipping a lot of things..is this normal? Don’t I need those files?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ct1oxwz64s34d ... 2%20PM.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsaw7ik5zcxb6 ... PM%201.png
08/01/2014 11:53 pm
Level 81 : Elite Programmer
pau101
Yeah, that is not normal. It should only skip "downloadClient", "downloadServer", and "mergeJars". I have know idea why it would do that. Try using the latest version instead of the recommended, see if that works.
08/01/2014 11:05 pm
Level 20 : Expert Architect
lawhichcraft
Have you tried using the installer? It's a .jar file so you would be able to open it on a mac. download links. http://files.minecraftforge.net/
08/01/2014 11:13 pm
Mr A Man2
Yes I do have it installed through minecraft, but I need the forge source to mod minecraft myself
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome