Click Baiting on PMC?

bob_2_MC's Avatar bob_2_MC2/20/17 11:03 am
3/2/2017 10:02 am
CHorse's Avatar CHorse
I have recently rejoined the PMC community after more than two years away, and as I have been looking through the projects I noticed a disturbing trend: there is a metric ton of click bait projects and mods.

There seem to be a lot of projects with breathtaking thumb nails that look like extremely interesting builds, but once you view the actual build this is not the case. A lot of the time these builds are just pictures of real life buildings with a caption like "Should I build this? Let me know in the comments!" or are pictures of other builds by big name build teams with captions such as "I want to build this but I don't know where to start!" Often there are a few pictures of a couple of blocks placed trying to show "Progress" towards what the main thumbnail picture is.

Overall I don't understand this trend, most of the time these projects have a fair number of views but almost no diamonds or favorites, so the creators aren't even getting much XP from click baiting their projects. This is the kind of click bait you expect from buzzfeed or Joey Salads, but not from a community like PMC.

I am wondering if the rest of you have also noticed projects like these, and if so is this a trend that has come up recently? I do not remember anything like this when I was involved on PMC a few years ago.

Also if anyone can explain why on earth these creators do this I would be very thankful and a little amazed.
bob_2_MC
Level 36 : Artisan Lego Builder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/26/2017 7:53 am
Level 40 : Master Nerd
Endure_Slayer
If we didn't have clickbait then we wouldn't have JelloApocalypse D:>
02/26/2017 2:59 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Professor
Eli the Zeratoed
Yeah, I'm sick of click-baiting... It's everywhere. YouTube, Fake News, you name it. Thankfully, you can remove these crappy click-bait projects with the report button like Zitzabis said. The PMC community is known for being quite smart, so we can tell what's click-bait or not. I'm pretty glad I joined this site, all because everybody is mature and friendly, especially the site staff. You don't have to worry, because it's rarely a problem; and if it is, the clever moderators have got your back. In this case, they truly are superheroes. For now, enjoy what you have here. You'll be glad you won't see drama or crappy click-bait blogs that often.

PS: I wrote this at 2 in the morning, so if my points don't make any sense here, blame my tired night-owl personality.
02/25/2017 9:50 pm
Level 40 : Master Nerd
Endure_Slayer
Clickbaiting is something you'll find no matter where you go
02/25/2017 8:58 am
Level 39 : Artisan Fish
CHorse
I never realized people were that desperate these days. I don't browse PMC anymore simply because I've no interest in doing so; so i have not seen these things . . . yet. However I am now curious and would like to see one.
02/26/2017 1:23 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc792389
[deleted]
03/02/2017 10:02 am
Level 39 : Artisan Fish
CHorse
:O OK!
As I iz a fish, I cannot resist clickbait.
02/23/2017 8:58 pm
anonpmc792389
[deleted]
02/24/2017 9:24 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
That is true, however, I do see the occasional burning map which does not have a lot of effort put into it. Other than that, PMC builders are more talented than most builders. For example, someone make a playable Pokemon FireRed game with redstone. That's just insanity.
02/24/2017 9:06 pm
anonpmc792389
[deleted]
02/23/2017 4:21 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
If I may, might I ask for a more specific example of what you're seeing? While I am seeing a fair share clickbait projects, I don't know if I'm seeing the ones that are to the scale that you describe. With some greater detail, it could encourage members to know what to look for and report this type of content if they see it.
02/20/2017 11:11 am
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
You can report these submissions.

If it is a blog that describes what you stated, then those are considered annoucement blogs and those are not allowed.

If it's a project that does what you say, then those too can be removed.

The exception is when a build has a good thumbnail but isn't good quality. Provided it has at least one in-game screenshot, then it's fine.
02/20/2017 11:07 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I have been taking notice that more of those "Should I" or "Work in Progress" post's have been appearing. Usually they don't bother me, but I do see what you mean with it being Click-bait, but just because a lot of new members do it, there's still some of us older members who post a build, and then gives it to you for free :p
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome