Confused about Mods

Tremedius's Avatar Tremedius3/1/17 3:00 am
1 emeralds 344 4
3/1/2017 3:58 pm
Tremedius's Avatar Tremedius
Hey there.

I'm a little confused about the difference between 'server' and 'client' mods. I'm assuming that 'server' mods are used on multiplayer servers to give everyone playing on it the same abilities, while a 'client' mod just affects your own personal game, but I'm not entirely sure.

Also, a friend of mine has a couple of mods for his single player game that I would like to use, one gives you things like ramps, columns, and actual furniture like tables and chandeliers, and the other lets you mine an entire node of ore (cluster of ore blocks) just by breaking one of the blocks in the cluster. Unfortunately, I don't know the specific names of said mods, but would I be able to use them on a multiplayer server, or are they strictly limited to single player?

Thanks in advance for any good, understandable answers you folks can give me.
Tremedius
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/01/2017 3:58 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Tremedius
Thank you. That helped me a lot. I will probably use them on my single player world then, if I can find them (or get them from my friend).
03/01/2017 10:18 am
Level 1 : New Network
josxph
client and server mods are explained very well above.

but

the two mods you described, the first one would be exclusive to singleplayer or a server that has the mod installed in its files.

the second one would work on singleplayer, however, that mod would most likely not be allowed on a public server, as most servers have a block breaking limit, and an anticheat that prevents any type of muli-blockbreaking mods.

however, if you are trying to use it on a server with no plugins and allowsthe mod, then yes, it would work fine.
03/01/2017 7:16 am
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
if you're on about mods that you install with forge you have client and server mods
a server mod is a mod that affects the entire world, e.g introduces new blocks. mobs, mechanics, something like buildcraft or indistrialcraft

Server mods are mods that need to be installed onto the server in order for the mod to work, for example, if you wanted a load of cat mobs on your server you'd need to install it onto the server and everyone joining would have to have the mod installed in order to access the server

Client mods are mods that you can install onto your game and login to any server and have them working, for example, Minimap mods, Optifine etc. these are mods you do not install onto the server as they do not directly affect it

in your case the two mods you are on about would be server mods as they need to be directly installed onto the server for them to work, and all players will need them in order to join

However

just because they are called server mods does not mean they dont work in singleplayer. in the case of the mods you are talking about, yes when it comes to making a forge server they would be classed as server mods, but you can install them to singleplayer and they will work fine (providing you have the relevant version of forge for the mods)

if you can interpret this it should help you and give you an understanding of what it is meant by client and server mods c:
03/01/2017 3:43 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
"Server mod" is a plugin on the server, you don't have to do anything there, It adds more consoles and features for the server only. And "Client mod" is installed on your end only, And then you got universal mods that can be installed on both server and client.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome