Connection timed out:connect ?

Sometimes, we all need a little general help.

Post Permalink
by rocka_28 » 4/22/2011

Hi all,

I have made my own MC server about 2 days ago, and have been playing on it fine with my friends until now. As I try to log on, it gives me the error:

Failed to connect to the server
Connection timed out:connect

My frineds get the same error, and have tried a few things but nothing seems to be working. I would appreciate some help on this, I want to get playing again ASAP.

Thanks a lot. :)
Level 34
Artisan Miner

Post Permalink
by Surathani » 4/22/2011

I am sure you have made the server app is still running and not crashed. The other thing I would mention, if this is at home and your router is set to DHCP, your port forwards may not be accurate anymore due to ip address being handed out to other equipment. If your trying to log into the PUBLIC ip, same as your buddy I would check your forwards. If you want to check it local enter the 192.XXX.XXX.XXX or 10.XXX.XXX.XXX address to check server.
Get busy mining, or get busy dying.
Level 28
Expert Blockhead
Minecraft: Surathani
mc_server: The Voxel Box

Post Permalink
by Zaralith » 4/22/2011

Log in from the address 'localhost' from the same machine that the server is running on to make sure that the server is working. If you are gettng errors then, make sure that there are no bad packet errors in the console. These mean that the server and client are not the same/compatible versions. If you can get in, make sure that you can get there from the public address as well (like Surathani mentioned). The public address does NOT start with 192.168 or 10, those starters are for local networks (your house) and your friends will not be able to connect. A good thing to do if you are connecting from home is to always use your public address anyway, since they periodically change if you are not using commercial internet. If you want more info about all of this 'stuff', check the server setup guide in the general help forum here.
The god of computing wants a sacrifice, and volunteers are being called for.
Super Moderator
Level 55
Grandmaster Wizard
Says: I do not own Planet Minecraft
Minecraft: Zaralith
mc_server: Zar's Awesome Server

Post Permalink
by rocka_28 » 4/23/2011

Thanks for the help, but nothing seems to be working. I can login with localhost fine and it works, but my friend cannot login, and we have tried everything.

Any other help would be great.
Level 34
Artisan Miner

Post Permalink
by tjcporter » 6/27/2011

Seems like your problem might be to do with your IP Address,

Check: http://www.whatismyip.com

and try to connect from that address (If it's different of course.)

TJ
Level 1
New Miner

Post Permalink
by That other guy » 8/13/2011

what if it says that when logging on to someone else's server that other people can login to?
Level 1
New Miner

Post Permalink
by colon20 » 8/13/2011

@tht other guy then you might have lost your internet connection somehow
Image <---- I call Him Fluffy!
Level 11
Journeyman Narwhal

Post Permalink
by Kisanorame » 8/15/2011

If the problem is DHCP, you can sign up for something like:
http://dyn.com/support/clients/
It's explained on the page,
and @That other guy, maybe your minecraft messed up somehow.
Level 38
Artisan Dragon
Says: n̦̻o͓̟͔͓͎̥̫p̹̞͉͕̰ͅe͚̝̤̙̮͉.̻̖̯͎̥̻͍͚a̰̝̺͈̬͙v̫̻i̭̻͍̭

Post Permalink
by ZaphodX » 8/15/2011

rocka_28 wrote:Thanks for the help, but nothing seems to be working. I can login with localhost fine and it works, but my friend cannot login, and we have tried everything.

Sounds like a port forwarding issue. You may have a dynamic IP, check your WAN IP and port forward again.
Level 73
Legendary Warrior
Says: I am fond of turtles.
Minecraft: ZaphodX

Post Permalink
by MinecraftDonut » 6/25/2012

I have been having the same problem, but this time with hamachi. Ive tried basically EVERYTHING. Any ideas?

P.S. He could connect at first, but once I got bukkit he couldnt connect.
Image[/url]
Level 44
Master Demolitionist
Says: "Can I be admin" If you ask that, you'll get what you wanted. And more.... >:D
Minecraft: Reshiram314
mc_server: goldencraft.glowingninja.com

Post Permalink
by Flutters » 6/25/2012

ZaphodX wrote:
rocka_28 wrote:Thanks for the help, but nothing seems to be working. I can login with localhost fine and it works, but my friend cannot login, and we have tried everything.

Sounds like a port forwarding issue. You may have a dynamic IP, check your WAN IP and port forward again.

I agree with this too!
Check you firewall settings and see if it has been blocked. Also with hamachi u can have someones ip and they tell u the server is on but u still cant join. It can be as simple as adding 25565 to the end as i have to do with my dads server.. Also there our 4 *3 if no hamachi* to log in to the server if yr on the same computer/laptop,
1. Localhost
2. 127.0.0.1:25565 *depends if u have a different port*
3. Check yr ip through yr anti-vrius software (eg Mc affe)
4. Your Hamachi ip: which is up the top near the power button

also you should check your Server settings to make sure u havent ACIDENTLY changed any of the port settings or ip settings

PM me if you have more problems
cheers Flutter
Level 26
Expert Unicorn
Says: "Yay"
Minecraft: MightyRex
mc_server: Lukes MLP Server / My Own MLP Server

Post Permalink
by MinecraftDonut » 6/25/2012

Ive tried messing With my firewall rules, but still nothing. Ive tried practically EVERYTHING ON EARTH! My friends REALLY want to come on. Any other ideas?
Image[/url]
Level 44
Master Demolitionist
Says: "Can I be admin" If you ask that, you'll get what you wanted. And more.... >:D
Minecraft: Reshiram314
mc_server: goldencraft.glowingninja.com

Next

Return to General Help