Copycats of your work!

Dudamesh's Avatar Dudamesh4/29/16 3:40 pm
5/2/2016 7:11 am
Auradyme's Avatar Auradyme
Sometimes people just want to get more famous and even copy work of others to increase his/her fame

(-snip-)

I want to warn you guys and provide a small tutorial on how to find some people that are copying your work:

It's a simple image search on google to find some similar things on the web, sometimes copycats even use the images used on the original work as the cover image etc. make sure to describe the image as Minecraft to let google know what you're looking for

who knows maybe some kind of map of yours has been copied already by people
Dudamesh
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Senpai

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/02/2016 7:11 am
Level 29 : Expert Birb
Auradyme
ethernity4everIt's the internet, I posted my pack on 2 websites, and its on at least 20, most of them link to my main website, and that's good. But those who've done so usually have outdated versions, so in the end if you want the newest things, you always go to the source!

You could try to file a takedown, but that's simply too much trouble for a measly 100 views a month.

I've experienced the issue, and ended up with the same conclusion.
Still, it is quite annoying.
05/02/2016 6:24 am
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
TheProg
IAM GONNA COPY YOUR MAP!

Ok that was a joke i promise no lies rrly rrly trust me iam innocent
i lov your work iam a fan

Its sad now adays internet is such a cruel and beautiful thing
05/02/2016 6:03 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
AndreiDude
When you create free content, and other people find it attractive, copy paste it will be inevitable.
04/30/2016 8:57 am
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
Don't forget, it may seem like it's "Not a huge deal" or whatever.

Most of these websites use ads. They're making money off of YOUR work without so much as asking you or giving you a cut.

Yes, PMC has ads too - but you uploaded it here yourself, you're still getting the downloads (And if you're level 20+, you'll quite probably be using adfly so you still get "a cut" so to speak). Some hosts like Curse even pay you directly for using them. But these copycat websites? They're just out to make a quick buck off your work.

It happens with all content; skins, resource packs and mods too. All are illegal because it's assets/code you created and have control over, and a DCMA is completely effective. If they're using Google AdSense or AdFly, you can report it directly to them too, and often they'll disable the relative account so not only are you stopping the pirates making money off of your work, but stopping their income from other peoples work too.

DCMAs only take about 5-10 minutes to send off, it's well worth doing

Join #stopmodreposts on esper.net IRC if you want more info/help on piracy; it's made for modders but I'm sure they'll help other content creators too.
04/30/2016 8:31 am
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
Welcome to the internet.

Anyway, I've had my packs reposted umpteen times, though I see it as a perk. Basically, I just contact them and nicely ask them to use my own download links instead of them hosting their own. Means more revenue for me and more advertising, win-win.

It's actually the complete opposite of a problem if they're cooperative. For one of my packs, another 3rd party website has so far generated 122862 views, with most of them downloading from my own link once I requested they change it (and they did). The website was Resourcepack.net by the way, so if they ever host your stuff you can always ask them to use your own links, as from my experience they are very easy to work with.
04/30/2016 8:28 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Noctris
It's the internet, i posted my pack on 2 websites, and its on atleast 20, most of them link to my main website, and thats good. But those who done usually have outdated versions anyway, so in the end if you want the newest things, you always go to the source!

You could try to file a takedown, but thats just 2much trouble for maybe 100 views a month.
04/29/2016 11:36 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Don't worry about it, most of those sites have rather low traffic anyways. Can't tell you how much of my stuff is on other sites, lmao. If anything, it just creates a tiny bit of traffic back to here, when people want more of the same things.
04/29/2016 11:01 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragonborn
BestAnarchy
Take it as a compliment.
04/29/2016 8:04 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
Nyamaru
I got my skins stolen once by skindex before. I was about 10 that time, soo I was really immature and raged. A LOT. Still cringing from that moment ^^'
04/29/2016 7:11 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
CrumpetBobner
I'm interested in the fact that the first post on the alternate website was posted the very same day as the "first".

I'm not really going to choose any sides because from the basic information I gathered from looking at both posts you could have just as easily stole it from him. Or perhaps you and him are the same person with different names.

I don't really want any heat on this topic but could you explain in more detail what your proof of creation is?
04/29/2016 5:52 pm
Level 41 : Master uwu
HippyKat
If I find my work I just report it if I'm able
04/29/2016 5:46 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
That's just what happens. Not really much you can do about it. Just do a google search of "Arcility", my texture pack. The only places I've posted them are here and an outdated post on MCF, but you'll see lots of websites that just reupload (most are nice enough to link over to either my PMC profile or the pack itself).
04/29/2016 4:37 pm
Dudamesh
R3D_G3KKO:lol:
tbh if i were you i would feel proud of myself xD

I guess so xD

it's not worth it if they don't think that you made it (no proper credit) xD
04/29/2016 4:31 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
R3D_G3KKO

tbh if i were you i would feel proud of myself xD
04/29/2016 4:27 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
04/29/2016 3:59 pm
Level 21 : Expert Button Pusher
ICEconchy
Thats the internet nowadays... Nothing you can do about I'm afraid.
04/29/2016 4:17 pm
Dudamesh
not really, some websites offer a report submission things that can take down submissions for a reason, if people can help report these, it can be sucessfully taken down by moderators etc.

it won't stop them, but it will help overall
04/29/2016 3:56 pm
Dudamesh
Guess what: found another one of my work posted on a different website, this time in a russian website

but it looks like I was properly credited this time D though the description of the project is off (with the power of google translate it was describing some sort of secret laboratory which the staff have revolted and tried to escape or something of the sort)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome