Bukkit NOT Dead [NEWS]

Sonadel's Avatar Sonadel8/21/14 4:19 am
8/21/2014 9:46 am
Paril's Avatar Paril
It's happened. Mojang has decided to enforce their EULA fully, and Bukkit has always been in violation of it. I'm surprised I didn't hear more about this sooner. What do you all think?

forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukkit-its-time-to-say-goodbye.305106/

Stay respectful of Warren (EvilSeph). He has helped shape multiplayer Minecraft and deserves every ounce of kindness from us as that same community.

https://twitter.com/EvilSeph/status/502384952944885760

It appears that EvilSeph MAY merely be stepping down as lead of Bukkit.

MOJANG
OWNS BUKKIT:

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/502380018216206336
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/502380571600121856
https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/502380876584726529

DINNERBONE
UPDATING BUKKIT FOR 1.8:

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/5 ... 3731831808

DON'T FORGET
THE MOD API:

In essence, the 1.8 update may be the last we see of Bukkit. There's still the possibility of the official mod API being released some time after this update. Keep this in mind.

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/5 ... 3606867968

MYTH:
Mojang AB and Bukkit did not keep the partnership/acquisition a secret. There are many sources available about Mojang scooping up Bukkit if you conduct a Google search.

We just aren't the most attentive community... are we? Hehe.

https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukki ... ter.62489/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/7640 ... ns-mojang/
Sonadel
Level 9 : Apprentice Lemon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/21/2014 9:46 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Locking this because it devolved into another EULA discussion.
Use the main EULA thread please.

(Servers will only close if they aren't business-minded enough to adapt. Would you trust your money with a guy who doesn't know how to adapt to a changing market? I certainly wouldn't.)
08/21/2014 9:42 am
Level 23 : Expert Dragonborn
vilidin
WTFshady
1 and 2 - They enforced the EULA. That means that they don't want other people to make money from their game, even though they do that for a good cause (if keeping the server alive is counted as one). Also, not every server that has donations is P2W.
There are servers that run on donations that aren't P2W, but still they depend a lot on donations. They said that they will close EVERY server that does that. By doing that, the hosting companies are in debt and close. When all companies are closed there will be only 1 way to host a server, Realms.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, just trying to prove a point.

People can't afford donate to the server they like. They can't afford to keep up their own server. They can't afford to pay to play on those few servers with entrance fees. However for some reason everyone suddenly affords to buy a personal Realms server. Also even if all Minecraft server hosting sites would go down people can still host their server with non Minecraft oriented host. I believe that Realms is just a way for "pay to win" server owners to blame their own greed on Mojang.
08/21/2014 9:23 am
Level 74 : Legendary Pixel Puncher
Hunajameloni
WTFShady
1 and 2 - They enforced the EULA. That means that they don't want other people to make money from their game, even though they do that for a good cause (if keeping the server alive is counted as one). Also, not every server that has donations is P2W.
There are servers that run on donations that aren't P2W, but still they depend a lot on donations. They said that they will close EVERY server that does that. By doing that, the hosting companies are in debt and close. When all companies are closed there will be only 1 way to host a server, Realms.

That didn't prove your argument that Mojang only wants money. Nothing of that adds money to Mojang's pocket.. That's why I said think before argue.

And now I need to repeat my point:
Mojang doesn't want players to pay extra for fair gameplay.
Mojang doesn't want owners to trick players to get money in minecraft. They want Minecraft to be fair and game for everyone, they don't like some owners trying to make money out of something they didn't make. It's just annoying people try to make money out of someone else's WORK and by RESTRICTING gameplay features. Only way they should make money are cosmetics, and that's Mojang's point as well.
08/21/2014 9:16 am
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
Talk about an overreaction, come on guys, put away the pitchforks and torches.

THIS IS NOT THE END OF MULTIPLAYER

Do you really think Mojang is clueless? They will not shut down every server with micro-transactions they see. One of the main reasons people buy the game is for the multiplayer.

As for Bukkit, Mojang own it. It is not going anywhere.

Mods, Texturepacks and Youtubing will also stay, same with everything else.

Mojang won't be sending guard dogs out sniffing for servers with micro-transactions anyway, most servers will continue doing it.
08/21/2014 9:24 am
Hunajameloni
But the ones which are making most money ( Most popular ) will get closed eventually.

KJ_BuildingTeamIs it not weird to see that every childish player is against the EULA while every mature is for it?
Much like SOPA, it was not that dramatic as I pictured it back then and created a huge thread in no time, pretty much like this, and then in the end I realized I was a huge noob and that SOPA was shut down a year ago.

Because mature ones know how it really is, while the "childish" players only goes with mass and doesn't think any further. It makes sense if you think about it

Also they said this:
Let’s get one thing clear: we love it when Minecrafters host servers. Tiny or massive, running vanilla or modded Minecraft, we think they’re all great. Playing with friends in persistent worlds is awesome. Everyone knows that.

Thread about monetisation. Which makes me believe they will keep bukkit how it is.
08/21/2014 9:04 am
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
Jacob Rigoberto
Is it not weird to see that every childish player is against the EULA while every mature is for it?
Much like SOPA, it was not that dramatic as I pictured it back then and created a huge thread in no time, pretty much like this, and then in the end I realized I was a huge noob and that SOPA was shut down a year ago.
08/21/2014 9:02 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Hunajameloni
WTFshady
HunajameloniWtfshady they have never had anything against other hosts. Also why would they do it now when they have owned it 2 years?
Mojang isnt arse. Mojang tries to protect it's copyrights and make the game on aervers more fair. Mojang didn't make minecraft to server owners to make money with. Mojang doesnt want fools to trick players with minecraft to get money. Mojang doesnt want to someone to make money from gameplay features from players who have already paid the game. Mojang doesn't want players to pay extra just to get fair gameplay.

How do you know that their opinion hasn't changed? How do you know that they didn't become fools that only want money? Only time will tell what they will do.

1. They haven't done nothing to prove your point.
2. Because they have proven us they hate microtransactions, what have they done to you to think they would be money greedy?
Realms = COMPLETETLY OPTIONAL.
Closing Pay2Win servers = How does that raise their in-come -.-

Think before arguing ...

I think before arguing...

08/21/2014 8:48 am
Level 21 : Expert Pony
RageLokiCat
Lol sorry all, I couldn't resist. It not a joke though, I really do hate bukkit. I'm not sure why, I just do. You can do anything else you want and I'll be happy, but use bukkit and I'll be finding a new server. Hopefully the new changes in bukkit management will change my mind, I'd love that!
08/21/2014 8:34 am
Hunajameloni
Tweet from EvilSeph
Yes, Mojang does own Bukkit. Them acquiring us was a condition to being hired. If Mojang want to continue Bukkit, I'm all for it

https://twitter.com/EvilSeph/status/502384952944885760
08/21/2014 8:26 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
Exzolid
Minecraft + Bukkit = A perfect community game!
08/21/2014 8:29 am
Hunajameloni
Lemme fix you this:
Minecraft + Bukkit - Microtransactions(Pay2win) = A perfect community game!
08/21/2014 8:32 am
Level 20 : Expert Cake
mcrocks999
xD
08/21/2014 8:14 am
RageLokiCat
Ya! Down with bukkit!
08/21/2014 8:17 am
Level 20 : Expert Cake
mcrocks999
You do realize 75% of our servers run Bukkit, right?
08/21/2014 8:25 am
Hunajameloni
Ignore trolls/vanilla fans
08/21/2014 8:50 am
RageLokiCat
So only one side of this argument is allowed to post? If I like something, and everyone else doesn't, suddenly I'm not a person who has the right to be heard? You're doing it wrong, I'M supposed to be the a**hole.
08/21/2014 8:57 am
Hunajameloni
I just told him to not to start argument whether bukkit is good or not.
We stick in mojang owning eula topic, not is bukkit good or not.
08/21/2014 8:59 am
RageLokiCat
I didn't understand that second part, but it sounds like a fair argument and I don't really care, so I'll go away now.
08/21/2014 8:08 am
Hunajameloni
WTFshady
HunajameloniWtfshady they have never had anything against other hosts. Also why would they do it now when they have owned it 2 years?
Mojang isnt arse. Mojang tries to protect it's copyrights and make the game on aervers more fair. Mojang didn't make minecraft to server owners to make money with. Mojang doesnt want fools to trick players with minecraft to get money. Mojang doesnt want to someone to make money from gameplay features from players who have already paid the game. Mojang doesn't want players to pay extra just to get fair gameplay.

How do you know that their opinion hasn't changed? How do you know that they didn't become fools that only want money? Only time will tell what they will do.

1. They haven't done nothing to prove your point.
2. Because they have proven us they hate microtransactions, what have they done to you to think they would be money greedy?
Realms = COMPLETETLY OPTIONAL.
Closing Pay2Win servers = How does that raise their in-come -.-

Think before arguing ...
08/21/2014 8:04 am
WTFshady

08/21/2014 7:52 am
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_

Pretty much this ^^
08/21/2014 7:42 am
Hunajameloni
Wtfshady they have never had anything against other hosts. Also why would they do it now when they have owned it 2 years?
Mojang isnt arse. Mojang tries to protect it's copyrights and make the game on aervers more fair. Mojang didn't make minecraft to server owners to make money with. Mojang doesnt want fools to trick players with minecraft to get money. Mojang doesnt want someone to make money from gameplay features from players who have already paid the game. Mojang doesn't want players to pay extra just to get fair gameplay.
08/21/2014 7:33 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Creeper
Da Creepa11
I love how Mojang are gradually shutting down their own game.
They'll regret it one time.
08/21/2014 7:18 am
Level 20 : Expert Prince
Lynnno
By practically removing donations won't really make a difference to Mojang's income.
I mean put it this way, almost the only way besides merchandise Mojang makes money is by people legitimately buying the game, what difference does it put to their income when they remove the donation feature, I mean people aren't not buying the game, besides cracked users but that's besides the point. This is utterly stupid and should definitely be revised. Thanks Mojang
08/21/2014 7:13 am
CalPal_
I, for one, don't understand why people are so confused/surprised/uninformed/outraged about the fact that Mojang "secretly" owns Bukkit.
There was a post on Bukkit about it, and on the official Mojang website. It hasn't been a secret that they owned them, I even knew about it and I've generally been staying out of MC news for the past two years or so.
08/21/2014 7:19 am
WTFshady
Well, it wasn't a secret, but it was long forgotten. They could've made it so you know that Bukkit is part of Mojang. It's not even at the "About Us" section in the Bukkit website.
08/21/2014 7:10 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Pokemon
dreamwolfhd
Wow...
08/21/2014 7:08 am
Hunajameloni
Facepalm.. Mojang has already owned
Bukkit for while and will continue it. This is like ea has secretly made new awesome game and everyone likes it, but then they notice ea has made it and everyone starts to hate it.
08/21/2014 7:11 am
Level 49 : Master Robot
RezzedUp
The problem is everyone forgot. Even EvilSeph forgot (the reason all this happened in the first place)
08/21/2014 7:18 am
Hunajameloni
Yeah :/

I hate when people start hassle qhen mojang does something. Minecraft doesnt die if you can't milk money out of players. Only the rubbish servers based on getting profit will. Which is good. Good servers such as Hypixel, Mineplex etc. Wont go down, because they know how to run good server and they probably have jobs.

Also the modding. I am not sure how it was, but was it like mojang has rights to use your work in minecraft? That's awesome, as long as they give you credit.
Level 35 : Artisan Turtle
Deth_Glitch
Mojang OWNED it yes, but they didn't run it. Now they RUN it and thats the worry.
08/21/2014 7:21 am
Hunajameloni
How come? I believe they can run bukkit, they did did game so i think they knows how to code bukkit.
Also as far as I know you are allowed to code plugins -.- also now when they run bukkit, they can add extra features to it and make something possible by modifying game
08/21/2014 7:31 am
WTFshady
Or they can make it part of Realms and make it a feature for Realms only and make it paid.
08/21/2014 7:05 am
RezzedUp
Well this has been quite a fun 2 hours ._.
Level 28 : Expert Nerd
TehDansorz
3 hours actually
08/21/2014 6:59 am
RezzedUp
Everything seems to be resolved.
RezzedUpWelp
We all experienced this live. Everyone sleeping right now will wake up to chaos and confusion and they'll have to read up on what happened.

Now we'll have to wait for everyone else to wake up and catch up.
08/21/2014 6:57 am
Level 35 : Artisan Turtle
Deth_Glitch
tributeonfire
They will lose A LOT of players if they do that.

But will they? How many people would actually leave if they started making things 'Relams-exclusive?'

I don't think I would, though I wouldn't be happy about it, at all.

Its not players leaving thats the issues, its the servers closing down. 90%+ Minecraft servers use Bukkit or a modified version of it. If they have to pay the outrageous cost of Realms they likely wont and, big server just wont exist.
08/21/2014 6:39 am
CalPal_
Yeah, I'd say Spigot getting into trouble is pretty inevitable. It's modified craftbucket, which I'm pretty sure is Mojangs property.

Even if they dropped Bukkit entirely, as some of you have said, there's still a million hoops to jump through for what they're doing, thanks to the EULA.
08/21/2014 6:43 am
WTFshady
Yep. Mojang is trying to remove everything that's not part of it. That means that if Forge doesn't join Minecraft soon, well, you know. Forge is part of a lot of servers and some of its items can be monetized.
08/21/2014 6:45 am
RezzedUp
Ugh. There's no way for people to do things creatively on their own anymore with modding. I'm up for that portion of the EULA to be abolished (not the parts about pay2win that has been the center of all drama for the past few months).
08/21/2014 6:49 am
CalPal_
Same here. People have been all freaked out over the server not, when the modding part is the bit people need to be worried about.
08/21/2014 7:01 am
WTFshady
Yep. Modding is in danger.
08/21/2014 6:51 am
RezzedUp
This bukkit scare is only a taste of the havoc that can uccor with this specific portion of the EULA in place.
08/21/2014 6:33 am
RezzedUp
Spigot could stop being based off of bukkit and do their own thing, but I don't see this happening, frankly. It would take a lot of time and effort to make a plugin API from scratch while still maintaining support for bukkit plugins. Spigot could drop bukkit support all together if they do their own thing.
08/21/2014 6:35 am
WTFshady
Yep. But that would get Spigot itself in trouble. Also, a lot of servers use Spigot. Think about all those owners.
08/21/2014 6:37 am
RezzedUp
Myself included. I just hope Spigot doesn't get into trouble.. even though it seems inevitable.
08/21/2014 6:32 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Farmer
username999
If Mojang hasn't already, I reckon it'll either buy Spigot or shut it down.
08/21/2014 6:28 am
WTFshady
tributeonfire
WTFshadyThey will lose A LOT of players if they do that.

But will they? How many people would actually leave if they started making things 'Relams-exclusive?'

I don't think I would, though I wouldn't be happy about it, at all.

Well, if they made things Realms-exclusive, that would need servers to transfer to Realms. That means a lot of server downtime, and that means unhappy players. Unhappy players won't play a game they're happy with. Instead, they can just go and play another game.
08/21/2014 6:27 am
RezzedUp
Welp
We all experienced this live. Everyone sleeping right now will wake up to chaos and confusion and they'll have to read up on what happened.
08/21/2014 6:27 am
Level 1 : New Miner
WeskyTheWalrus
Well, even if they do decide to make bukkit exclusive to realms, we still have Spigot to use
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome