Create A Universe With Other Writers!!!

Have you made something for a different game or in real life? Post here!

Post Permalink
by JediJerboa » 6/16/2016

Chron suggested on Tylakya's forum on creating a universe since it seems it has been abandoned. Well, by Tylakya at least. I plan to start completely from scratch and create a blog online for the universe. I want to go with the sci-fi genre, but that's the only limitation I'm putting on this thread. If you need to contact me directly, go ahead and private message me but make sure you also post on this forum. So get creative and post your ideas!
While you carry a sword, a gun, or a shield to wade into battle, they pale in comparison to the weapon that I bear: my words.
Contest Judge
Level 17
Journeyman Pokemon
Says: This is not the jerboa you're looking for.
Minecraft: NinjaGerbils
mc_server: Hypixel

Post Permalink
by Parallellus » 6/16/2016

The Community Outreach Program for Space Raptors demands equality!

And I demand space raptors.
Level 2
Apprentice Crafter

Post Permalink
by Parallellus » 6/16/2016

But in all seriousness, are we talking sci-fi as in space-faring, or simply advanced technology? I feel like having half the galaxy already explored/at war with itself would limit us in what we can make up. Plus, it's always cool to have a very detailed world over a few notable ones, such as saying "this is desert world where this group is from, this is ice world where it's hard to live, etc". I like the idea of exploring the society of one world and a moon, like an alternate (note that I didn't say "future") version of our own Earth+Moon combo.

If the civilization on-world is in a sci-fi era, what kind of sci-fi is it? Is the entirety of the surface covered in steel, is it a natural utopia where 99% of the population was slaughtered for the sake of keeping the world from dying, or is it a mixture of the two, focusing on logic and empathy in equal measure?

Furthermore, assuming we go with my idea of it being a planet+moon(s) combo, how massive are the two objects and how would this affect the civilization's path to where they are now?
Level 2
Apprentice Crafter

Post Permalink
by JediJerboa » 6/16/2016

I did say that the sci-fi genre was the only limitation. Well, that and you're imagination. So whatever you feel is best. If you want my opinion, try a society with like a theme such as centuries after an apocalyptic event or I dunno, maybe separation between those with alien DNA in them and normal humans.
While you carry a sword, a gun, or a shield to wade into battle, they pale in comparison to the weapon that I bear: my words.
Contest Judge
Level 17
Journeyman Pokemon

Post Permalink
by rockstar894 » 6/16/2016

I'm not sure you guys understand that the idea of creating a universe isn't the same ruling as creating a galaxy like Star Wars or Star Trek. The universe is vast, and has been around for billions of years, and therefore there may be civilizations that are more or less advanced in technology than others. In the universe, there could be a species that just reached the stage of exploring other solar systems with human piloted ships, and another species that's already searching through galaxies for resourceful planets. There could be an entire galaxy far from the others' that has magic taking place, like Lord of the Rings style, or a single planet that's home to a changeling that kills people and takes them over, or a solar systems controlled by a collective hive mind/group mind with a single parasite alien controlling them. You could even do something neat where on one planet a civilization that's in the 20 B.C. time era is attacked by pirates who are similar to Jedi's in non-copyrighting ways, and that's only a FEW examples. I may be interested in participating in this, but I don't want the universe to be centralized around LotR, Star Wars, Halo, The Matrix, or whatever. If it's gonna be an entire universe we're creating, then there has to be some sort of variation in time periods, beliefs, cultures, technology, resources available, planetary resources and environments/conditions, and physique. It really gets fun when you realize that you can create ANYTHING at all, so let's not get close-minded about this.
Level 2
Apprentice Crafter

Post Permalink
by IcyIris » 6/16/2016

I want to participate, but I currently have no ideas ;D;
Level 3
Apprentice Miner

Post Permalink
by Parallellus » 6/17/2016

rockstar894 wrote:I'm not sure you guys understand that the idea of creating a universe isn't the same ruling as creating a galaxy like Star Wars or Star Trek.

Meh, I was just sticking to the prompt of it being sci-fi, but you make great points. We can indulge in pretty much anything when we're talking about an entire universe.

But then, how big of a universe are we talking about, and how old?

rockstar894 wrote:The universe is vast, and has been around for billions of years, and therefore there may be civilizations that are more or less advanced in technology than others.

Thing is, what if it's not? What if this universe is three-trillion years old instead, or just a few hundred? The answer would fundamentally change what things exist/still exist in terms of stories. With either choice also comes the option of viewing it as a similar universe to our own - created in a big bang event, destined to wither away to nothing - but we can do things differently if we want.

For example, my own universe, the Triad Verse (which has almost zilch in public content but tons in ideas and characters) is the three-trillion year old one. In that universe the rules are different. Instead of starting out in an explosion, absolutely everything in the universe began with a whimper. It took one and a half trillion years for the very first "thing" to grow into existence, and the other half for everything else to arrive over time.

Something huge that might need consideration are Universal Rules, things that influence everything within. In the Triad Verse one of the rules is "Infinity is Default", referring to how energy is constantly being created from nothing, which is why a "thing" appeared out of nowhere, followed by the rest of the universe at an exponential rate. Things like this affect everything from the course of universal history, the shape of the universe, whether or not particles smaller than a micrometer exist, magic, souls, artificial intelligence, etc, etc, etc.

Here's a few ideas along that vein:
The universe is mechanical. All life in this universe is machine-like and digital, advanced enough by this point in time to grow like a natural thing, but still fundamentally different to plants and animals. While this serves as teh basis for everything in the universe, there is an infection spreading its way from planet to planet; biology. It rusts the metals and grounds the electricity, slowly but surely destroying everything in its path.

Universes & Ulghtoorckz. A very diverse universe that shows hints of classic RPG themes - it was created by a team of eight(give or take) gods, who hold the entire universe together. If one of them falls asleep for a while or dies, the aspects they represent begin to show problems. Wars usually break out during these times. Magic exists for sure.

Reality is alive. Existence itself is up to interpretation. If enough sapient minds believe in something, it exists and the universe grows slightly to accommodate for that new thing. Randomness is inherent in this universe, so while some planets may look very similar to ours, others take the shapes of cylinders, tesseracts, flat planes, etc. All is unique and all is in chaos. Infinite story potential with basically no rules, except for when Reality decides to lighten its burden every few million years...

Long post is long
Level 2
Apprentice Crafter

Post Permalink
by Ludicrous » 6/17/2016

Not trying to shoot down the idea or anything, but I really do think something like this would better thrive in a subreddit like /r/worldbuilding or something.
Site Moderator
Level 62
High Grandmaster Senpai
Says: Late at night is the best time to do things.
Minecraft: Ludikun

Post Permalink
by rockstar894 » 6/17/2016

Parallellus wrote:Here's a few ideas along that vein:
The universe is mechanical. All life in this universe is machine-like and digital, advanced enough by this point in time to grow like a natural thing, but still fundamentally different to plants and animals. While this serves as teh basis for everything in the universe, there is an infection spreading its way from planet to planet; biology. It rusts the metals and grounds the electricity, slowly but surely destroying everything in its path.

Well the thing is that we don't have to limit the entire universe to one single life form. Like I said before, the species should all be of different physique and live on different kinds of planets, therefore we could have three neighboring planets that are the homes of a human, orc, and machine life form. These life forms could also have control of an entire galaxy, or even have conquered multiple galaxies and created an empire. If you wanted, there could be a planet that somehow gives life to whatever object falls on it. So every meteor that hits it, or spaceships that land on it will all come to life, and become something like transformers, or just become an animated object that moves around on its own.
Level 2
Apprentice Crafter

Post Permalink

rockstar894 wrote:Well the thing is that we don't have to limit the entire universe to one single life form. Like I said before, the species should all be of different physique and live on different kinds of planets, therefore we could have three neighboring planets that are the homes of a human, orc, and machine life form.

I know, that's why I gave the other two suggestions.

rockstar894 wrote:If you wanted, there could be a planet that somehow gives life to whatever object falls on it.

This is a fun idea, and one that I actually had myself all the way back when I was just a kid.

All in all, if we were to actually go ahead and try to write something from this universe, I think our two main options would be to focus on one small, mostly-isolated part of it (such as a spaceship crash-landing on a medieval world), or show one of the big galactic communities and provide the broader picture. As far as pacing goes, I much prefer the idea of slowly bringing in these concepts by focusing on many small details that end up making the big picture.
Level 2
Apprentice Crafter

Post Permalink
by JediJerboa » 6/17/2016

I do like the idea of multiple galaxies, however what inhabits those galaxies is still a mystery to me. Yes, I will include space raptors as requested, but I need more life forms than that. Also, just having aliens is kinda boring, so I'm thinking about adding in military units of super soldiers. I'm not sure if the soldiers are cybernetically enhanced, infused with alien DNA, super-human mutants kinda like the X-Men, or just have awesome gear to get the job done. I do have an idea for a galaxy already though, called the Icarian Galaxy. It's kinda like the Bermuda Triangle of Space, making it a great hideout for renegade soldiers and space pirates.
Contest Judge
Level 17
Journeyman Pokemon

Post Permalink

To be honest I think we're trying to start way too big with this thing. It's much easier to think about one or two planets than a whole galaxy. It's much easier to come up with ideas that relate to one world and then figure out which rules and facts created upon that world are actually true for a greater portion of the universe.

I say we focus instead on building a world instead of a universe, but only for now. Who agrees?
Level 2
Apprentice Crafter

Next

Return to Your Creations