Does age REALLY matter?

sierramig's Avatar sierramig10/19/14 9:58 pm
1 emeralds 6.1k 215
11/20/2014 7:17 pm
-Mage-'s Avatar -Mage-
I've been turned down to numerous things because of the fact I am 13 years old. Honestly I believe that if you are mentally mature enough for something you should be able to do or participate in it. For example: You are applying for staff on a Minecraft server, the minimum age is 16. Wut? I don't see why you need to be that old as long as you can handle responsibility.
EDIT: I didn't make this thread because I applied for staff and got denied. That was an EXAMPLE. I just want to hear your opinions on this subject! Don't be stupid, read the entire thing!
sierramig
Level 13 : Journeyman Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/20/2014 7:17 pm
Level 42 : Master Fox
-Mage-
I think I'll jump out of this thread, now that I've made my point.
11/20/2014 6:19 pm
Level 42 : Master Batman
Craftable Danny
Coffeechipmunk
The_Big_Dish
sierramigI've been turned down to numerous things because of the fact I am 13 years old. Honestly I believe that if you are mentally mature enough for something you should be able to do or participate in it. For example: You are applying for staff on a Minecraft server, the minimum age is 16. Wut? I don't see why you need to be that old as long as you can handle responsibility.

I would be nervous about letting a 13 year old admin/mod my server if I had one and I will explain why. So I know there is some 13 year olds who are more mature and level headed, I believe I was like that when I was 13. The key difference comparing then to now is I have more experience in dealing with different kinds of people and dealing with being in a position of authority.

13 years olds usually have like zero to a very little experience with being in authority mostly because they are still very young and have not been given it. And admining and modding is not an easy thing, it is not something that just comes naturally you have to learn it through experience. You have to learn to balance your own emotions and feelings and put them under what is best for the situation AND you have to learn to deal with other peoples emotions/personalities.

It really matters if they have been given a responsibility in the past, and how they can keep their head. I am 13 myself, and I always try to keep my head, especially when I have someone trusting me. Power was never something I tried to overuse, because I always thought trust was better then power. Maturity is, in my opinion, put with age, thinking that the younger the less mature. When I was 10, playing Halo Reach, there were adults calling a 10 year old a faggot because of his voice. Do you know what I did? I turned off my mic to not want to be disrespectful. Maturity and age are 2 completely different things, and some people seem to think that they go hand in hand. I always tell people who judge me on my age to give me a chance to show them I'm not like the normal 13 year olds, and most of the time it works. I have someone who says that he doesn't imagine he is talking to a 13 year old, because of my maturity. This may make me sound self centered and cocky, but I swear I'm not trying to say it like that, just giving an example that age=/=maturity.

I'm like that xD I love to help people, be nice, respectful. (I am talking to him so anyone else who is probably thinking "he's bragging" I don't mean it) Nice job!
11/20/2014 5:06 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
TimberCool28
I think it honestly depends.
Minecraft is a game that appeals to many age groups. Of course, if a server is filled with strictly adults, then a 13 year old kid is probably not going to be accepted... I would say that the easiest thing would be to play with people your own age, even if you're more mature than them. Because honestly the older guys playing don't care how mature you are. If you're 13, You're 13. That's just how it is.
11/20/2014 6:07 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Hunter
Ciberg
You sir, just won the argument.
11/20/2014 4:56 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Toast
WillyWonka125
Yep, age matters. I'd rather have a 16 year old with the same maturity level as a 10 year old than that 10 year old. Shoot, that 10 year old might be a bit more mature than the older dude, but I'd still prefer the 16 year old. He (using he because, let's face it, majority of players are male) has 6 more years of life experience, 6 more years of education, 6 more years to make mistakes and learn from them, 6 more years to develop and see more of the world.

That 10 year old might be mature, but I have a hard time trusting someone that young to make well-reasoned decisions as a staff member on a server.

Now, I think the line starts to blur after you've hit high-school, but before then children don't have much exposure to older role models (an 8th grader should not be considered a role model for a 6th grader), and therefore are more likely to act in immature and foolish ways.

Most people in this thread have talked about how SOME younger kids are more mature than older kids. That may be, but it doesn't matter in this instance. A server owner will want someone mature, regardless of age. So if all candidates for a staff position are filled with mature people, what next? I'll tell you. The owner will pick the oldest one, and I've explained why above.
11/20/2014 6:32 pm
Level 22 : Expert Explorer
SyntaxError73
Very well thought out..

I'm only 16, and a female gamer to be honest. and I know exactly what you are talking about.
I have made many mistakes when I was 10, even more today. I have more experience than when I was 10, and I am probably still not mature now. I will have to say society DOES tend to choose the oldest person for a job or server staff position, And I will keep that in mind when I apply for a job hopefully this year.

Age does matter, so does maturity. and in the perspective of math and science... Age is the Independent variable here.
11/20/2014 4:28 pm
Ciberg
Yes, there are some exceptions, but for the most part, kids are immature.
11/20/2014 7:22 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
As harsh as this may sound, I personally only think of somone as mature after they've had a job and have started supporting themselves in the world. Not by how they behave over a game...
11/20/2014 8:07 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
by that logic all unemployed adults are immature.
That is...quite a long list of people on this site...
11/20/2014 8:09 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
"After they've had a job" not if they have one right now. As in they've experienced working and being part of a group thats not on their computer.
11/20/2014 6:45 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Coffeechipmunk
The_Big_Dish
sierramigI've been turned down to numerous things because of the fact I am 13 years old. Honestly I believe that if you are mentally mature enough for something you should be able to do or participate in it. For example: You are applying for staff on a Minecraft server, the minimum age is 16. Wut? I don't see why you need to be that old as long as you can handle responsibility.

I would be nervous about letting a 13 year old admin/mod my server if I had one and I will explain why. So I know there is some 13 year olds who are more mature and level headed, I believe I was like that when I was 13. The key difference comparing then to now is I have more experience in dealing with different kinds of people and dealing with being in a position of authority.

13 years olds usually have like zero to a very little experience with being in authority mostly because they are still very young and have not been given it. And admining and modding is not an easy thing, it is not something that just comes naturally you have to learn it through experience. You have to learn to balance your own emotions and feelings and put them under what is best for the situation AND you have to learn to deal with other peoples emotions/personalities.

It really matters if they have been given a responsibility in the past, and how they can keep their head. I am 13 myself, and I always try to keep my head, especially when I have someone trusting me. Power was never something I tried to overuse, because I always thought trust was better then power. Maturity is, in my opinion, put with age, thinking that the younger the less mature. When I was 10, playing Halo Reach, there were adults calling a 10 year old a faggot because of his voice. Do you know what I did? I turned off my mic to not want to be disrespectful. Maturity and age are 2 completely different things, and some people seem to think that they go hand in hand. I always tell people who judge me on my age to give me a chance to show them I'm not like the normal 13 year olds, and most of the time it works. I have someone who says that he doesn't imagine he is talking to a 13 year old, because of my maturity. This may make me sound self centered and cocky, but I swear I'm not trying to say it like that, just giving an example that age=/=maturity.
11/15/2014 1:53 am
-Mage-
Sorry for posting above so much. I'm just trying to point things out.
11/15/2014 12:33 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Pig
sso2
Jex_Infinite[
If you're defending your age that much, you're probably too immature to understand the topic well enough.

I wouldn't be giving you a rank based on this paragraph, because you're being far too immature and generalizing everything too much.

When reading, you appeared to me like a 10-11 year old because of the bad grammar, vocabulary and tone. You then went on and said you were 12, which is older than I assumed. If you want to seem mature, stop making up facts and accept certain truths.

It is true that age itself does not matter, maturity and personality do. However, the age of someone can give a reasonably accurate clue as to what the person could be like. A 25 year old is more likely to handle responsibility, because they will very likely have more experience, and be more mature. A 10 year old likely won't understand responsibility nearly as well.

unless the 25 year old guy is drunk XD
11/15/2014 12:32 am
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
I honestly don't think younger server mods/admins are necessarily a bad thing actually it is a good stepping stone for real responsibility. BUT I also respect and understand owners who do not wish to hire people below a certain age, especially if they themselves are an adult and don't want to gamble on having younger people as staff.

I mean I always hated age restrictions when I was young also so I am sympathetic but I also understand the other side. At the very least you can wade it out until you are older because it is not like we stop aging.
11/15/2014 12:31 am
sso2
ok I think things got confusing at a point
I belive we were taking about Minecraft staff postions. And not about online jobs or real life jobs for that sake, it just seems like were getting out of hand.

Correct me if im wrong about this but lets stick to the topic. and look at the top of 1st page to find out what we were taking about
11/15/2014 12:37 am
The_Big_Dish
I am just responding to what you were saying about "Adults not understanding what it is like to be rejected based on your age".

Besides the topic is "does age matter?" and the author cited server positions as an example but it hasn't been limited by that in the thread (unless the OP comes in and clarifies that he only wants to talk about that).

Does age REALLY matter?

I've been turned down to numerous things because of the fact I am 13 years old. Honestly I believe that if you are mentally mature enough for something you should be able to do or participate in it.

This is the topic.
11/15/2014 12:23 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Demolitionist
KawaiiMiku
If you're 12 and you think you're the most mature person, be ready to look back on yourself and realise how utterly immature and idiotic that thought was when you're a teenager.

not saying that all teens are mature though.
11/15/2014 1:47 am
-Mage-
Yeah, yeah, mhm. Wait, I think 10-16 (ages) people can be pretty immature. I know for a fact I'm immature. Although, I think I do act differently than other girls my age. My parents do trust me and aren't keeping me from having responsibility. I think immature people have less responsibilities, considering people know what they're like. That is one way we can tell some people are less matured. Oh, yes, I forgot to tell you guys.
I don't really think I have an opinion on either side, so I agree with both. Either could be true, and we could debate forever on this subject, and we wouldn't change out opinions based on other people's comments.
11/14/2014 11:44 pm
Level 29 : Expert Princess
ItsMorgan
In advance I apologize for any mistakes I make. English is not my first language.

Age kind of matters. Were I a server admin, I'd put an age limit for staff. Somewhere between 14-16 or something. Age translates into experience, and we kids (I'm 16) usually think we're above everyone else. When I was 12 or so I though I was very mature. How utterly wrong I was. I'm not saying everyone under 18 is a brainless baby, but I wouldn't trust most people under 16 with being a staff member unless I knew them and knew they were mature enough for it. And by mature I mean that they don't base their choices in emotion but in logic, that they can remain calm in any and all situations, that they have a clear moral compass, that they are active on my hypothetical server and that they're responsible. There are a lot of people under 16 who are all of these things, but most are not, because they lack experience. Age limits are there because MOST people under X age are not mature enough. There are exceptions to the rule, of course. But still, they are exceptions; that means most people are not mature enough to be a staff member.
Most of the time, I think the "Needs to be over X to apply for staff" rule is more like a suggestion (A very strong suggestion), since maturity largely depends on each individual.

I am probably not mature enough to be staff (Again, I'm 16)
Am I more mature than I was 4 years ago? Hell yeah. Now I don't let my emotions impair my judgement, I think before I act. But I'm still lazy, irresponsible and, yeah, annoying. But, again, not everyone is.

Now

Your immature and annoying if you do think that!

Ad hominem attacks really don't help your case.

oh my gosh dude you've got to be the most annoying person on this post. being so rude pointing out everything wrong with people. plus your extreamly off topic, go make your own post about how everyong on the internet is immature exept you. seriosly

Ditto. Ad hominem = Bad

Age doesn't really matter, it's maturity that does.

True. But most of the time, maturity comes from experience, id est age.

Age does not matter when it comes to staff positions. It is case by case basis. I'm 14 years old and I'm the youngest Senior Staff member on a big network called MCGamer (MCSG). Age does not only define a person's maturity, as I said, it is case by case. There are multiple factors that determine maturity and age is just one of those factors.

Hey, good for you. That's an example of someone who is pretty mature. But yes, age is a factor, and all factors are important in a multiplication.
11/14/2014 11:31 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger
Slimecraft101
When I first got the game, I was 10, I played on a server that I eventually got staff on. Before I was staff, I was in a skype call with the Owner and she thought I was 12! 2 year difference is pretty big. I did tell her that I was younger because I don't like to lie
11/14/2014 11:19 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Prince
Summertime
I'm twelve, and people have been mistaking me for 14-16 due to my maturity. However there are those who stereotype me for pretending it. Just let people get over it, honestly they're a waste of time if they even bother with those pesky stereotypes. I just find age as a system of how much free time they might be able to have.
11/15/2014 1:38 am
-Mage-
This, is my point all this time.
11/14/2014 11:08 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
janidorr
FastestHorsie99The ones who are going against this post saying we're annoying and stuff are stupid. I have met a 20 ear old in mc and an 8 year old more mature than a 20 year old. Peeps who put age limits are stupid. Can't you just tell by the way they act for a limit?! And we are NOT annoying. You teens with your attitude, I could just SPIT. Some of the comments here make me mad! If you think 16- peeps are immature Look at yourself i the mirror cause i'm SURE your VERY immature. You don't agree? Well, ast someone. They don't agree? Your VERY immature if you think 16- peeps are immature/annoying. Your immature and annoying if you do think that! I'm 12 and very mature. Look at yourself? Are you mature? Pfft.

To be absolutely honest, this post does not make you look all that mature. Not sure if trolling. Anyways, I'm 14. 2 years ago I was in the pit of discrimination. Yet, after all of that I still believe age, to a point, matters. Obviously many people here say no, we're for the most part pre-teens to middle teens based on demographic. It's because people have been in that situation a whole lot. I've been through having to process staff applications, many younger people act mature in an attempt to get a position. When they show their true colors, most of the time it is not the case. Just because you found a handful of mature younger people doesn't mean all younger people are mature.

If younger people really were more mature, then the belief would be that younger is more mature. That's not the case, it is generally believed that you mature as you get older. Why? Because that's the general observation. It wouldn't be true unless people actually acted that way. I am about to conflict with a whole lot of people's claims, but it's what I believe: Age is a pretty good indicator of maturity. I know myself that I have a really long way to go. I still whine about things, I still don't understand how older people can be so calm, for me it's hard to sit still in class. I've met people younger than me and I can say 95% of them are as mature as their age dictates. Is that bad? No. Be yourself! Act like who you are! Your time will come when you get to your coming of age. Don't try to act more mature, if you don't feel like yourself, you're probably doing it wrong.
11/14/2014 10:56 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Xtremebrawler_xOk, first of all, if you're acting immature here and shouting in caps, or making major typos, go ahead and stop arguing. (No one here is, but on the last few pages..) Anyway, so I wanted to bring up a point about applications. Most people can pretend to be mature long enough to apply for a position, and (maybe) get accepted, but then when it's time for them to actually do the job they act less and less mature the more time they spend on. Just thought I'd bring this point up, as it's fairly common to act different than you do in your application.

As I said, employers beware. You're not hiring the applicant for his normal behavior, you're hiring him for his best behavior. Although, I see your point in the acting bit. Considering we're talking about server admins, I'd hope that the person was observed before the application was sent in, like, "you must be active for at least 3 weeks before you can apply" or something along those lines. Aside from that, if you're hiring a person based off of your very first impression of them, (again realize I'm regarding online interactions) then yeah, you only have the ability to judge them off the application and their age. You can't argue against generalization when that's the only way to guess if a person is mature or not.
11/14/2014 10:55 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Prince
iVelocity
I haven't posted on the PMC forums for ages, but I will just to put my input in this topic. Age does not matter when it comes to staff positions. It is case by case basis. I'm 14 years old and I'm the youngest Senior Staff member on a big network called MCGamer (MCSG). Age does not only define a person's maturity, as I said, it is case by case. There are multiple factors that determine maturity and age is just one of those factors.
11/20/2014 9:21 am
Level 27 : Expert Architect
OzzyKP
I agree completely. Maturity and responsibility are independent from age.

You could make the argument, as some here do, that the *average* 16 year old is more mature than the *average* 12 year old, and that is probably true. But when you make someone staff on your server you don't pluck out an *average* person from some demographic. You hire a specific person, presumably someone who you have played with and known. You can observe how they handle themselves in the game, how helpful they are, whether they get involved in stupid drama or petty behavior. If you've done that and if they've proven themselves to be mature and able to handle the job, then age absolutely doesn't matter.

We use age as a proxy for behavior and make assumptions about people just because of their age. Just like people used to (still do?) make assumptions based on people's race or gender or other qualities. In every case we should look at an individual for who they are, not what they are.
11/14/2014 10:52 pm
Level 23 : Expert Crab
Morneite
Age doesn't really matter, it's maturity that does.
11/14/2014 11:22 pm
Level 40 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Phush
As someone earlier in the thread said, "maturity comes with experience" or something and generally experience comes with age. Though there are exceptions where you find really young but mature people and really old but really immature people. I'm 15, compared to my friends I'm relatively mature, though my voice is high-pitched as cr*p.
11/14/2014 11:38 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Steve
starrynight
Just deepen that voice more.
11/14/2014 10:11 pm
Ciberg
Saying 'It's the internet we get to use caps and typos' is true. Not denying that. But it does make you immature. If you want emphasis use bold or italic, looks better. Also, to win an argument, (Talking to you guys above me) don't call the opposing side stupid. Insults don't win arguments, logic and knowledge does.
11/14/2014 10:46 pm
sso2
oh my gosh dude you've got to be the most annoying person on this post. being so rude pointing out everything wrong with people. plus your extreamly off topic, go make your own post about how everyong on the internet is immature exept you. seriosly
11/14/2014 9:55 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Explorer
GamingSensation
The ones who are going against this post saying we're annoying and stuff are stupid. I have met a 20 ear old in mc and an 8 year old more mature than a 20 year old. Peeps who put age limits are stupid. Can't you just tell by the way they act for a limit?! And we are NOT annoying. You teens with your attitude, I could just SPIT. Some of the comments here make me mad! If you think 16- peeps are immature Look at yourself i the mirror cause i'm SURE your VERY immature. You don't agree? Well, ast someone. They don't agree? Your VERY immature if you think 16- peeps are immature/annoying. Your immature and annoying if you do think that! I'm 12 and very mature. Look at yourself? Are you mature? Pfft.

Soz if I'm getting out of hand. No offense to those who are smart. Like the first and other lots of commenters. Like Azie, I have more than 50 friends. But like, school kids aren't smart cause they aren't getting a proper education. I have more friends and i'm homeschooled then my friends that go to school with more than 1000 people.
11/15/2014 1:50 am
-Mage-
Really, no offense, but this comment is contradicting itself, and just showing 12 year old people (like me) are very, very, VERY, immature.
Plus, it's not just "teens" who think we're annoying. I myself think I am annoying and the other "children" my age are annoying. Which basically saying, is that a 12 year old as I am find it extremely annoying that 12 year kids need to justify everyone here is wrong by calling them stupid? Really? You have no respect for anyone if you can't handle staying calm in a thread about being "Mature".
I really hate the way kids my age act. They're. . . Immature, to put it simple.
11/14/2014 11:50 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
If you're defending your age that much, you're probably too immature to understand the topic well enough.

I wouldn't be giving you a rank based on this paragraph, because you're being far too immature and generalizing everything too much.

When reading, you appeared to me like a 10-11 year old because of the bad grammar, vocabulary and tone. You then went on and said you were 12, which is older than I assumed. If you want to seem mature, stop making up facts and accept certain truths.

It is true that age itself does not matter, maturity and personality do. However, the age of someone can give a reasonably accurate clue as to what the person could be like. A 25 year old is more likely to handle responsibility, because they will very likely have more experience, and be more mature. A 10 year old likely won't understand responsibility nearly as well.
11/14/2014 10:03 pm
sso2
I agree. All my favorite staff and kids, all my favorite severs have kids for staff and you know what, those are the good servers [better then minecrap, wait its mineplex??]
11/14/2014 9:45 pm
Ciberg
Ok, first of all, if you're acting immature here and shouting in caps, or making major typos, go ahead and stop arguing. (No one here is, but on the last few pages..) Anyway, so I wanted to bring up a point about applications. Most people can pretend to be mature long enough to apply for a position, and (maybe) get accepted, but then when it's time for them to actually do the job they act less and less mature the more time they spend on. Just thought I'd bring this point up, as it's fairly common to act different than you do in your application.

Secondly, to the person that said something about lying about your age. This is perfectly true, and while lying is never good, if you're mature enough for them to think you deserve a rank, you can go ahead and lie because they're being discriminatory. I know this is kind of hypocritical, as I like to chose staff that are older, but that doesn't mean other people don't deserve it. Some servers who chose to hire younger staff members are seen as unprofessional, which is why some set age limits.
11/14/2014 9:51 pm
sso2
unless you Truly are mature and by the way ITS THE INTERNET get use to caps and typos
11/14/2014 9:08 pm
Level 28 : Expert Dragon
Unlocked
I believe that age does not matter although it is normally a pretty good indicator of maturity. If a 10 year old was super mature and wanted to work on some sort of project with me, I would have no problem with it. The reason that people can't do things like drive a car at age 13 (someone said something about that) is also because 13 year olds usually don't have the physical ability to drive a car.

I have been mistaken for being a much older age than I am a few times on the internet. For age requirements on servers and stuff, it should be based on how old it seems like you are rather than how old you actually are.
11/13/2014 5:57 pm
Ciberg
Ok, despite what many people have said, age does matter, whether you like it or not. With age comes experience, and with experience, wisdom. People are coming up with impossible scenarios with the only purpose of denying to themselves that age really does matter. Obviously, no one's going to grow up to be a fifteen year old with no education at all. I understand there are some third-world countries where people don't get as good of an education, but that makes people more mature as they don't have time to sit around and argue about stuff like we're doing now, they have stuff to do. Let's all be more like them and stop arguing about a simple topic
11/14/2014 8:22 pm
sso2
Ok 1. Some of these scenarios are actualy quite COMMON! .Ik your older and don't have to worry about this issure Mr. "Expirience" But AGE IS JUST A NUMBER![and the years you've been alive] Expirince comes with Expirince. And you cant be expirince with your age holding you back. SO MABEY WE SHOULD LET EVERYONE BE jr ADMIN ON SERVERS[ also known as test rank ]
11/14/2014 8:56 pm
The_Big_Dish
No no no, not everyone should be junior admins. Being an admin is not like another achievement, it is not like beating a boss mob, or getting diamond armor. It is a job. And it is a job that only a few people deserve. Those people are people who have proven they are trustworthy and good at working with people and minecraft servers.

This is why people don't want kids to mod they don't understand being a mod/admin isn't about being cool, having power, or some kind of achievement. It is about doing a job and dealing with all kinds of people (many of who utterly hate you for doing your job).
11/14/2014 9:27 pm
sso2
the thing that irritates me is that some people in this conversation don't know what it feels like to be rejected because your "Too young" I get it, "Age comes with maturaty and expirence" blah blah blah. and its true, but some times YOU GOTS TO GIVE THE EXPIRINCE! plus its the internet EVERYONE CAN LIE ABOUT THEIR AGE AND GET OUT SAINT FREE so lets end it here since I just thought of the solution
11/15/2014 12:25 am
The_Big_Dish
What makes you think older people don't know what it is like? I mean older people have been a child at some point too. Even if you hit "adult age" older adults still look down on you and are less likely to take you seriously in the workplace, ect.

You can lie if you want but doesn't mean people won't find out your real age or that it is not glaringly obvious what your age is.
11/14/2014 9:03 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Goblin
-TheGrimCreeper-
That last bit in brackets is so true.
11/13/2014 8:59 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
I don't mean to argue with you simply to argue with you, but I do believe that age doesn't matter when it comes to experience. Wisdom is being able to understand situations that come up in your life from a mature and realistic point of view, and although that comes with experience, it doesn't mean that someone will have the wrong opinion if they are younger than normal. Just because you're young doesn't mean you're less intelligent than an elder. Intelligence isn't how much you know, it's how good you are at accumulating knowledge. I'm breaking off the main point though.

Experience doesn't come with age, it comes with, well, experiences. Going through poverty, 24 different homes in 14 years, and no father will make a 14 year old teenager a much more knowledgeable and mature person than an 18 year old who was babysat through his entire academic career. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

I understand where you're coming from when you say having a very specific example is often not accurate enough to come to a full conclusion about what is and isn't the largest factor in experience, but you have to consider that everyone can be taught to act mature. That's what the basic, fundamental idea of school is, to teach discipline and order to the common child populace, as well as the academic subjects that prepare them for a mature, adult life. Every single person has the potential to be a sane, well-thought human being. The experiences they have will define that. This experience of me having a discussion with you is just as important to our developments as me working to support my family, if I was stuck in a third-world country. It sets you and I up for the future, in that we learn how to conversate and carry out an argument. This experience right here makes both of us more mature, regardless of how old you are compared to me. The older you are, the more chances you have to become mature. The amount of experience you have is only how much you've grown as a person, not as a physical organism that ages and slowly rots to a mushy pulp.
11/13/2014 9:15 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
Mikeroboblox
Well said, very well said.
11/13/2014 3:48 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1280016
[deleted]
11/13/2014 3:37 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Dragon
RollerdinoGaming
This has been (and still is) a big, big debate with server owners because of there not being a real answer to "does age really matter". This is because age and maturity are two vastly different things. People who are over 18 can be less mature than a 12- year old.
11/13/2014 2:56 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pony
Starlight Glimmer
EDIT: I didn't make this thread because I applied for staff and got denied. That was an EXAMPLE. I just want to hear your opinions on this subject! Don't be stupid, read the entire thing!

Age shhouldnt matter,your right!
11/13/2014 11:21 am
Level 38 : Artisan Farmer
Mishkia
[quote="Prickles"][quote="Pyr0mrcow"][spoiler][quote="Prickles"][spoiler]Because so many servers use the application system to gain there staff members, players will join a server seeking a staff position rather then playing, most of these players seeking a position are between 8-17 years old, the truth is... They have no idea what they are doing.[/quote]
This is absolutely true...which is why a minimum time played should be a requirement before making applications. I'm not saying that you should make random people staff, but that it's good to have a variety of people who can connect with your player base, and that people who are fit for the role should be given a chance, regardless of age. As I said, an idiot is an idiot, and idiots/immature people/ect shouldn't be hired unless they show a real effort to change for the better.

[quote="Prickles"]Trust me, I know from experience, being a moderator is not fun, banning your best friends from a server is not fun.[/quote]
If they had to be banned, that's really their own fault...heck, I've done it. Some people get out of control because they have a friend in high places, and they need a good slap of reality. Banned a friend? It's their fault, not yours, and that shouldn't ruin the position. In my opinion, if you're not comfortable with treating everyone equally, again, you shouldn't take a staff position in the first place...

[quote="Prickles"]Now on the other hand, if you play like any normal player an get selected by a staff member who has watched you, watched your spelling, grammar, words, etc, then thats another story, they have got to know the player, but with the whole application thing it... "Player:Oh look! a new server! I wanna be staff!! pmay I pls pls pls be moderator?! StaffMember:Apply on the forums" the sad thing is, this happens, And if someone asks like that, why would you even think about sending them to the website to apply?[/quote]
I often chose based on their in-game behavior when I was running/helping run servers, actually. However, sometimes there are great players who you don't want to bother with the idea of becoming staff. I like it when those same players make applications, because then you know that they're comfortable with the idea and want to help the community improve, rather than being pressured into the job.
It's also helpful on larger servers; not only can you see how professional/relaxed they are in the application, it gives you ideas of who to watch. On servers circulating 200+ regular players, it's easy not to notice individual people.

[quote="Prickles"]Lets say you goto one of those huge online MMO's, they always say "Do not ask to be a moderator, Asking will lower your chances of ever being one!" And it is for the reasons I just pointed out...[/quote]
Actually, there's a reason for that: "huge".
Though I mentioned 200+ players on some servers, those games are another animal entirely. League of Legends, Dota, I guess WoW is still popular to some people, whatever game...
You're talking about in some cases, thousands of people. Others, tens of thousands. League alone? The last count was [i]27million daily[/i]. Most don't allow applications, because it'd literally impossible to look at all of them. And yet...
[url]www.riotgames.com/careers[/url]
Even League has an entire site segment dedicated to allowing people to apply to work with them. Because that's how things work in the real world...

[quote="Prickles"]one other thing, if you are not smart enough to not ask for the position, you arn't fit for it.[/quote]
You'll only get a job without asking for the position if A) you create the job yourself, B) you know the person giving the job personally, C) the person giving you the job is desperate, or D) you publicly and flamboyantly exhibit something that the person hiring is looking for, and that's rare. Minecraft follows those examples.
The reason for D being rare is that an application shows that the person making it has drive to actually do something. They're willing to work, and again, how does anyone know that you'd be willing to take a job if you don't tell them?
Asking the employee to work makes the person hiring look desperate, whether they are or not.

Applications serve multiple purposes. If the application itself isn't laid out to fit the job, then that's a problem on the company's end.

[u][b]EDIT:[/b][/u]
[quote="Prickles"]Trust me, I know from experience, being a moderator is not fun, banning your best friends from a server is not fun.[/quote]
We apologize for the interruption, but I realized that this quote pretty much sums up the entire argument...
What experience are you talking about, exactly?
This thread is about experience, for the most part...
Prickles was a moderator, and one who has not, as of yet, adjusted to having to do what it takes to keep things stable. Heck, I don't know if that's true, but I'm just assuming for the sake of this argument.
Why am I bringing this quote up again?

Trial_Mod, Moderator, Admin, Artist, Developer, Head Developer, Co-Owner, Owner...
Those are my some of positions related to this, across years.
I should also mention that, as far as Developer-up goes, when I was in those positions...I basically had control of every aspect of the server, it's host, direct file access, ect. Also, I created graphics and and whatnot from Moderator upward, across different servers.
Heck, I even terrorized servers that had bad security for a while, a while back.
Written rules, heavily customized and broke plugins in ways they weren't meant to be broken, worked on/created sites, ect...

The point? Well, I don't mean for this to sound mean, though several posts here probably did to the younger audience...
Compared to me, someone who's only been a Moderator is equivalent to an [i]infant[/i] as far as experience in this field goes.

Compare me to...oh, I don't know, Dinnerbone or Jeb_? I'm a speck.
Several of the people posting here, I'm assuming, are lower in experience in this field...than a[i] speck[/i].
Think about that.

So again, I present to you: What is the difference between you, and someone slightly younger with more experience in the field, who is able to handle the pressure of a given job?
Pretty much covered that question already, I think.[/spoiler][/spoiler][/quote]

I understand what you are saying, it really makes sense... [b]but when are you going to wake up? people applying for a position are all out for power, perks and fame[/b]...

By the way, I am currently a server owner, graphics designer, have been an admin, a co-owner a head-admin and a moderator on quite a few servers... I have had experience, I know what I am talking about, something tells me you don't, all that up there may sound legit. but its not, its not how things work, you will never get good staff from using the application system, most moderators just act like they know what they are doing and make issues worse then ever thought possible.[/quote]
Not everyone. At least half of "those people" are applying to [b]help[/b], not get "power, perks and fame".
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome