DOOM: The Text-Based Batch Game [v0.3]

_Nyarlathotep__'s Avatar _Nyarlathotep__11/26/14 2:01 am
1 emeralds 1.7k 8
11/27/2014 7:58 am
LudusLight's Avatar LudusLight
After helping a friend of mine with a school project (to make a text-based quiz/game for his History class), I had the urge to mess around with batch games myself. And low and behold, I had the bright idea to port DOOM, the classic 1993 shooter, to a text-based format. So far, I'm feeling comfortable with this project. I'm looking here for any advice, tips, support, or any general feedback about my project.

What's Included
A very clean, pretty loading screen.

A main menu with a new game, help, credits, debug, and exit options.

The new game screen shows you a choice between the 4 original episodes. And each episode opens in its own batch file for cleanliness and flexibility.

Basic demo gameplay for Episode 1: Knee-Deep in the Dead.

Working audio options for each episode & the main menu (is completely optional)

TO-DO
Finish Episode 1 and start work on the other episodes.
Tweak and improve the handling of audio and settings.

OTHER
Based upon the feedback I get from this project, I may continue to make batch games. Or might even work on more advanced games. Who knows, time will tell.

Downloads & Installation
The zip file for the game can be found on
Light's website: http://www.lightamaze.com/doom-text-remake.html

For Windows users, just run it :P

For any Mac users out there, running this .bat is as simple as using Wine, which (according to my Mac buddy), works splendidly.

I have no experience with Linux, so if anyone knows how/if it would work, I'd be thankful to know!

DISCLAIMER
DOOM is copyright to iD Software, and no copyright infringement is intended in any way, shape, or form. This is purely for enjoyment.
_Nyarlathotep__
Level 26 : Expert Button Pusher

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/27/2014 7:58 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
LudusLight
This is totally safe. If you don't believe, you can check online for dangerous commands in batch files and look at the source. It's just a fun little project that Auvvi thought up
11/26/2014 10:28 pm
_Nyarlathotep__
sorry about that guys, I was working on the project, and due to it being constantly updated through dropbox, it got removed when I re-vamped the way it's packaged. It should be fixed now. Cheers!
11/26/2014 9:39 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Uh, the file was removed?
11/26/2014 7:19 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Archer
LudusLight
I love the idea for this, and as I am currently learning windows DOS (because I can), I would be happy to support code for this with your consent. I'm currently working on a way to possibly shorten and conform the code to fit better and be less big. Exited to see what lies ahead in the future!
11/26/2014 6:17 pm
_Nyarlathotep__
Yeah, I was too lazy to make a loading screen that didn't take up half the code. It was only just a 4am project xD
But i've been working out the first chapter, and primarily E1M1. I'm not 100% satisfied with the way I've got it coded just yet though.
11/26/2014 2:38 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
A lot of files can be dangerous.

I have checked this batch file and it is safe for anyone who was wondering.

Most of it is just a loading screen though, lol.
11/26/2014 2:35 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
jjcyalater
Ive checked the source, it seems fine but there's bot really anything in it except a back story and a screen saying "This is a demo!"
11/26/2014 2:27 am
Level 28 : Expert Pirate
HassanPCMR
is this safe
bat files can be dangeruous
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome