Ever modded anything on your computer? [Hardware wise]

Killertoad's Avatar Killertoad12/1/14 7:49 pm
12/8/2014 5:41 pm
Killertoad's Avatar Killertoad
I had seen a video on YouTube where a person had stripped his GPU all the way down to the PCB and dropped all of the cooling, he then put a CPU cooler on it, and ran it. He had gotten amazing results from it, from what I remember, it never got above 35c at full load! That's insane.

So, I was talking to a few friends and thought I'd try it myself, I have an old GT 9500 card laying around, and a few older PC parts, and happen to have a old CPU fan. I remember pulling something like it from an older computer with a P4, but it looks like an older Athlon cooler. Well, i got the card, and drilled two holes, because the heatsink didn't align with the gpu cooler bracket holes, which was expected. Then I put two pop rivet like things in those holes, and it stayed tight. I then drilled a hole into the heatsink and then used a nut and a screw and tightened it down onto the heat sink. I can still move the fan if I'd like, but it will stay in place. Just stiff enough that it won't move while vibrating.

I didn't expect much out of it, as it's an older card, can't run much very well, and also the cpu fan wasn't exactly high end either. But I got some pretty good results that I wasn't expecting.

Results:

While on idle: average of 30c
Full load: average of around 45c. I only seen it go that high.
Room temp: stayed at an average of 23c, or 74f.

Not exactly something I'd go running home with, but I was impressed and it was a fun project. Anyone else done anything like this? Include pictures if you can!

Pictures

(Here you can see where the pop rivets are compared to the GPU cooling bracket holes.)

(I put it beside one of my older GTX 260's, to show the size difference between these two. They both came out at around the same time, one being low end, more for business type stuff, but still able to play most games, while the 260 was for gaming. Beside that is the case to my phone, which is an Galaxy S4, so if anyone has one of those, you can see how big the 260 is atleast.)

What they look like from the top, and you know, showing off my amazing hand writing skills.

(Also, the GT 9500 is a pretty nice card for what it was, it'll still play ArmA 2 and most pre-2008 games with some of the settings turned down, which is impressive to me)
Killertoad
Level 22 : Expert Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/08/2014 5:08 pm
Killertoad
Bump... I know there isn't many people here that deal with computers, but I'd like to see something cool, that I could possibly try for myself.

Maybe even shoot a few cool ideas to try out? I can probably get the hardware to try it on.
12/08/2014 5:27 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
Cool a CPU with a GPU cooler.
12/08/2014 5:41 pm
Killertoad
Hmm, alright. I would need a high end GPU cooler, and a lowish end cpu, I can get the CPU easy. (Get an older Athlon x2 3/4). But the gpu would be a harder piece to get, without spending a wad of money on it lol. I'll try to see what I can do
12/04/2014 9:46 pm
Level 26 : Expert Dragon
_ENDER_DRAGON_
I put a fire hazard sticker on my craptop because it gets up to 100c while just playing minecraft!
12/04/2014 10:01 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
You should seriously consider getting rid of that. If it literally gets up to boiling water temperature it has a serious issue. No laptop should ever be that hot and it could cause a fire easily if you accidentally leave it on next to a paper or something.
12/04/2014 10:54 pm
Level 28 : Expert Geek
Histor the Noob
I agree with dog51848 here. Paper is easily flammable, and if it can boil water, then it can defiantly burn paper and set other flammable things until the entire house is burning.
12/04/2014 9:36 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
FCCAGut
I try to get myself into creative computer hardware projects (family doesn't like it though as it mostly looks dangerous).

One of my favorites was mounting a power supply (why do some power supplies have screw holes?) and a motherboard to the wall (held up by a small nail) and didn't have any issues with heat. I got the inspiration for that by using a Raspberry Pi the same way.

Another one wasn't really a mod but I washed a motherboard and it worked better than it did before it went in. Floppy and CD-ROM drives as well as the fan was included. The whole case had to be submerged with it and it had to be hand scrubbed for almost 8 hours + soaking which had spider webs and dead spiders behind the front of the case and I had to use super degreaser, I have an interesting job.

As soon as a dead PSU I have lying around fully discharges I'm going to try to convert it into a Raspberry Pi case.
12/04/2014 6:32 pm
Killertoad
Bump
12/03/2014 10:22 am
Level 45 : Master Architect
CrankerMan
the only thing i do is cleaning my pc from time to time xD

and if overclocking counts as modding ... intel turbo boost ftw
12/02/2014 10:29 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
No, I don't trust myself with modding things. Building one, sure. But modifying it's parts seems both difficult, dangerous (if I do something wrong and it overheats), and expensive (if I break something). At least thats how I see it. Others who have experience with it though probably see it in a different light.
12/02/2014 11:57 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
I personally have never modded any hardware, maybe I will try once my current graphics card is old. I just don't want to end up breaking anything.
12/02/2014 11:26 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
I had an old LGA775 board. Heard you could buy an adapter to use LGA771 Xeons with them, thats exactly what I did.
12/02/2014 5:09 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
That is actually kinda interesting. I didn't know they made CPU socket adapters, cool.
12/02/2014 10:18 am
Level 1 : New Architect
killertunes
Before the advent of Ebay and online shopping like it is today I've done many of those types of fan replacements because replacement fans were hard to come by if not non-existent.

You do have to be careful with removing GPU heatsinks because often times they have thermal adhesive on the bottom instead of thermal paste. I've ripped the top off of a GPU before trying to separate them. It's best to heat up the card either in the computer or with a heat gun prior to attempting the removal.

You become very creative when your options are few. lol
12/02/2014 11:18 pm
Killertoad
Yeah, at the computer shop I work at, my boss is always telling me stories about stuff like that, lol.

This one had thermal paste, lol, but yeah we have a bunch of those thermal adhesive cubes at work, most laptop CPU's use those.

Very true, lol this was just a fun project.
12/01/2014 11:04 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ladybug
McJackson3180
This makes me want to try this on my old PC, too bad the day I built my new PC it seemed my old PC's hard drive failed so it has nothing to boot on lmao
12/02/2014 7:08 am
Killertoad
I just put the card into my currect PC lmao, just had to delete all my AMD drivers, and put nVidia on it. But that's really not that much of an hassle, lol.
12/01/2014 10:56 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
YourLocalFloridian
[quote="Seghas"]My second cousin built a PC that took up a whole room.

I used to have one of those! ran Crysis 2 like a boss!

[img]i.imgur.com/L33eXRY.png[/img]
12/01/2014 10:54 pm
Level 41 : Master Toast
gltchmstr
Well my brother did this to my keyboard, if this counts.

So in return I did this to his.
12/02/2014 6:17 pm
Level 28 : Expert Geek
Histor the Noob
SO COOL!!! Can I have it?
12/01/2014 11:01 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
DrStrad
I can't do that

12/02/2014 5:30 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
Im curious, what keyboard is that?
12/02/2014 9:35 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
DrStrad
It's a Poker II with brown switches, I modded it with DSA profile blank keycaps in different colours, a wooden wristrest, and an acrylic keyboard case. Here's the updated view.

12/02/2014 10:20 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Stuff 57r4d Knows:
-Headphones
-Computers
-Keyboards

Stuff 57r4d Doesn't Know:
-Nothing
12/01/2014 10:50 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
ContinentalAir
I put the Corsair textured keycaps on my Ducky Shine 3 if that counts.
12/01/2014 8:21 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
Seghas
Official-jedimartin
SeghasMy second cousin built a PC that took up a whole room. He rigged it to use multiple motherboards, a bunch of 780Tis, Xeons, and that's cool and whatnot but the best part is the cooling. He setup this awesome waterfall spring system to run infinitely and set it up to cool the whole system through millions of dollars of custom tubing. It wasn't exactly underwhelming.

I need pictures. Bad.

I wish I had 'em, too.
12/01/2014 8:19 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
SeghasMy second cousin built a PC that took up a whole room. He rigged it to use multiple motherboards, a bunch of 780Tis, Xeons, and that's cool and whatnot but the best part is the cooling. He setup this awesome waterfall spring system to run infinitely and set it up to cool the whole system through millions of dollars of custom tubing. It wasn't exactly underwhelming.

That's pretty cool, I plan on doing that whenever I feel the need to get a mechanical keyboard lol, I want one, buttttt the cost changes my mind :b
(Also I did, check yours please.)

I didn't get the springs, just the keycaps. It was cool nonetheless. As for me getting a true mechanical keyboard soon... Corsair RGB K70 for Christmas would be nice. I doubt it though.
I replied as well.

I need pictures. Bad.

As for mods to a PC... I added more RAM. So yeah...
12/01/2014 8:16 pm
Seghas
My second cousin built a PC that took up a whole room. He rigged it to use multiple motherboards, a bunch of 780Tis, Xeons, and that's cool and whatnot but the best part is the cooling. He setup this awesome waterfall spring system to run infinitely and set it up to cool the whole system through millions of dollars of custom tubing. It wasn't exactly underwhelming.

That's pretty cool, I plan on doing that whenever I feel the need to get a mechanical keyboard lol, I want one, buttttt the cost changes my mind :b

I didn't get the springs, just the keycaps. It was cool nonetheless. As for me getting a true mechanical keyboard soon... Corsair RGB K70 for Christmas would be nice. I doubt it though.
I replied as well.
12/01/2014 8:10 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Modder
Lpswheat
I will be putting custom water blocks on my computer (building a custom case).
12/01/2014 8:06 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Does accidentally running a USB WiFi card through the wash count?
It still works
12/03/2014 10:37 am
Level 35 : Artisan Ninja
DatFox
o.o how ?
12/01/2014 8:00 pm
Seghas
On my old laptop I took out the keyboard and modded on custom keycaps. Took around an hour and a half, but it was the coolest thing I've done.
Also, as a side note, check your PMs box.
12/01/2014 8:25 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
I did the same as you... Except... The keyboard was very hard, if not impossible to replace the keys...so I didn't
Except I got it for $100 brand new so who can complain?
ME because I could of got an amazing mechanical keyboard for the price
So... Yeah/
12/01/2014 8:12 pm
Killertoad

TheShadbusherDoes accidentally running a USB WiFi card through the wash count?
It still works

looolol. I've washed a flash drive...2 phones...4 sets of ear buds... Everything worked after, except the 2 phones lol.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome