Goodbye Notch

Ellie's Avatar Ellie9/15/14 10:09 am
1 emeralds 2.6k 84
9/17/2014 6:57 am
MMCStudio360's Avatar MMCStudio360
Notch has announced he's leaving Mojang.
"Its not about the money, Its about my sanity."

He written a full reason to why hes left here and his goodbye:
http://notch.net/

A report on him leaving here:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... -confirmed
http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/15/615192 ... eft-mojang

What's your opinion on this?

Personally i feel sad at him leaving. he's the creator of Minecraft and when you see why he's left and why he's been stressed out in his goodbye post and the post about the EULA beneath it, it really is saddening. However i'm happy he can finally do what he wants to do and not be flooded with kids and parents complaining at him about something he didn't do.

"I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change."

Edit: Because people keep commenting without reading, I'm not saying him leaving would change anything. I'm saying his goodbye message is sad and that its sad to see the creator of minecraft leave.
Ellie
Retired Moderator
Level 35 : Artisan Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/17/2014 6:57 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Scribe
MMCStudio360
I couldnt blame him for doing it he thought what he thought was right for him and for the rest of us I hope his legacy continues in a glorious manner
09/16/2014 5:54 pm
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
Fanjawi
Left Minecraft a few years ago so I really don't mind.
09/16/2014 9:07 pm
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Dinodaw
I don't think you understand the thread.
09/17/2014 6:42 am
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
Fanjawi
I'm replying to all the people who have been saying "MC will change forever now!" - because Notch did leave working on MC a few years ago.
09/16/2014 5:23 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Turtle
Fellanchicken
I wonder if Minecon will still go ahead? And how will it feel without Notch?
09/16/2014 5:52 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
Minecon will still go on, Microsoft has plans to work with Mojang to plan it, and make it better than years past.
09/16/2014 5:07 pm
Level 49 : Master Baconator
BenDragonsword
What makes it even more sad in my eyes is that some people won't even take him seriously - I have friends who say that Notch is just in it for the money, that he was always in it for the money, and that he's just leaving because he's getting 2.5 billion dollars to do so, and that's all the money he'll ever need.

That hurts.

Goodbye, Notch, and Best Wishes!
09/16/2014 5:03 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Scribe
Yaminia
I'm really going to miss him.
Minecraft won't feel the same knowing Notch isn't involved at all.
I hope he's happier, he always looked a tiny bit sad in pictures and videos.
Maybe he wasn't.
I hope Microsoft doesn't eff things up.
09/16/2014 4:48 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Pyr0mrcow
I'm willing to bet that Microsoft won't be giving away the yearly profit to its employees, though...
09/15/2014 11:01 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Modder
GamerBah
Minecraft is going to take some very good turns now. Microsoft knows what they're doing, and they can make this game a lot better than it is.
09/15/2014 9:13 pm
Level 27 : Expert Pokemon
PoshTick
I believe that this is somewhat relevant to this thread.
Anime gif incoming.
09/15/2014 9:09 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
zxzx8900
its up to u now jeb <3
09/15/2014 10:09 pm
Level 21 : Expert Archer
Diamondcrafter_3
The fate of Minecraft rests on Jeb's shoulders. Oh wait.... JEB IS LEAVING MOJANG.
09/16/2014 2:51 pm
Dinodaw
Jeb is staying at mojang.

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/511513294612738048

lactarius77
invincible64
Toth SamiIts so so so so so sadd

The creator of minecraft leaving from mojang now who knows what will happen to
minecraft

He hasn't been involved since 2011 anyway so there will literally be no difference

what the???? youre saying that notch wasnt involved after that? that is a plain lie, and you should know that, hes been active all the time, its just that Jeb was in the lead!

Notch has had little to nothing to do with minecraft after he gave the lead over to Jeb. Perhaps a few suggestions here or there. Notch leaving won't change anything really.
09/15/2014 10:08 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Geek
Z645
There is no jeb anymore. Notch, jeb, and the other dude are all quitting.
09/15/2014 9:02 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Geek
Z645
I cried a bit. Maybe more. :'(
Screw Jeb, never liked him. Not even a bit.
Reason why I quit Minecraft about a month after he came into power.
09/15/2014 9:00 pm
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Kickbuttkaleb12
He has pulled a Floyd Patrowski, or he's having stress problems most likely about the fans current state of mind. (It's a Guild reference which I seem to be taking overboard. Seeing him go is sad sure but why to Microsoft? Why not give it all to Jens? Whateva
09/15/2014 9:01 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
He values $2000000000 more than Jeb
09/15/2014 9:02 pm
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Kickbuttkaleb12
Typical xD
09/15/2014 8:58 pm
Find Them Creepers
Don't worry guys, I'll re-write Minecraft in Python

#Miencraft lelz
import sys
minecraft = input("True... or False?")

def minecraft_function(self):
if minecraft = True:
return False
if minecraft = False:
return True
elif minecraft != True and minecraft != False :
print("You broke it!")
sys.exit
minecraft_function()

Meh

import minecraft
Done.
09/15/2014 8:55 pm
Level 45 : Master Necromancer
samus0374
Wow, so mojang got sold to microsoft? I thought it was just a rumor...
09/15/2014 8:48 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Batman
C0smicCow
Who cares he's fat and lazy! But Notch will always be remembered... Aa the fat creator of the best game EVER!
09/15/2014 8:52 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Scribe
Akeustlom
Uhm... Okayyy...
09/15/2014 8:43 pm
Find Them Creepers
Maybe they'll do what squad is doing and begin a partnership with modders to integrate things like Applied Energistics, Thermal Expansion, and Ars Magica 2 into Minecraft.
09/15/2014 8:14 pm
Level 27 : Expert Skinner
coolzzz2hip
He left last year...
09/15/2014 8:19 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Fisherman
Dominos
No, he stopped working on minecraft last year. Now he's leaving Mojang.
09/15/2014 8:10 pm
Dinodaw
I think this will work out pretty good. Notch has had nothing to do with minecraft for a very long time.

Microsoft will be keeping most of the current developers on (Jeb, dinnerbone ect) So it will still probably be community driven, but with the massive support of microsoft. (goodbye bugs I hope) I also suspect we'll be getting lots of cool new merch.

And on a side note, windows 8 is pretty cool.
09/15/2014 8:10 pm
Find Them Creepers
commanderneivlle
SnowyfoxBack from reading his website's post.

As with everybody else, I support the decision. He has already done everybody a great favor by creating Minecraft, and although he didn't want to, he has already affected the world quite greatly. Now that he has achieved this major accomplishment in life, he is relieved from the responsibility of doing so, and thus he should be rewarded to an enjoyable quiet life that he wanted.

*EDIT* He earned it. GG WP Notch.

Maybe now that he has more free time to make little games of his choice we may see more stuff like "Cliffhorse" in the future

He said anything he makes that grows popular he'd abandon... so if Cliffhorse ends up getting famous he'll probably just abandon it
09/15/2014 7:58 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Architect
Pezza_Jnr
God save us from Microsoft goodbye Mojang
09/15/2014 8:05 pm
Level 21 : Expert Pokemon
theamazingJ1
more like goodbye minecraft. it's about to go the way of windows 8. I respect notch's descision however.
09/15/2014 7:57 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
mesmart1
well it has been a sad 2 months for minecraft. the Eula damaged minecraft economy. then bukkit hurt the community. then microsoft. and now this. almost everthing about minecraft has gone wrong.
09/15/2014 7:31 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Princess
Skeltal
where will his sexy beard go to next?

tune in on the new show: The Adventures of Beard-Man!!!!
09/15/2014 7:55 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Taco
monte carino
YES
09/15/2014 7:11 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Ninja
Girly link
09/15/2014 6:54 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
TheMightyWaffle
If you think about it, he kinda quit almost after minecraft was first created, by giving all development roles to jeb and the other team members, and he was just trying to work on other stuff. but yeah, now that he has officially left mojang for real, it is kinda sad. but its also kinda good, because he can work on other fun little projects and not have to deal with a multi billion dollar industry.
09/15/2014 6:24 pm
Level 42 : Master Droid
GigabyteGiant
Sure, it's sad, but if you think about it, he's right to leave. He never imagined Minecraft becoming a huge success, and therefor he isn't cut out to handle such a big company.

He'll be missed, but I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
09/15/2014 6:21 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin
09/15/2014 6:10 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Geek
Skullduggerycain
So yeah, admittedly this sucks. What do I think? I think we need to respect Notch's decision. I think it's admirable that he has the strength to do something like this. While I believe he wishes he won't, he will always remain an icon of Minecraft and Mojang alike. If, as his blog says, he's leaving because of two reasons, one of them being to keep his sanity, I think it's the right choice. I also think him leaving because of the microsoft deal (which I wrote a blog about recently yayayayayay), I think it's the right thing to do. I think I actually respect him more for this. Truth be told, I'll miss him. I think we all will, but it's his life, and I say we let him live it.
09/15/2014 6:00 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
UTZ
Lad got 2.5 Billion, that's a good reason to retire to ultimate heaven where he can Program Indie games with enough money for his lifetime.
09/15/2014 5:57 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
I have something to say...

GOOD BYE NOTCH! WE ARE SORRY

He will be missed, if it was not for minecraft I would never have got to meet such great people (you guys ) and I kinda feel as if we are responsible because it was people bothering him about the EULA that pushed him over the edge, even though he knew nothing about it.

I hope that he can make a good game again but he said that he would "abandon it" if it got popular, possibly because Minecraft got to him and he is scarred of all the hate happening again.

Good luck. WE WILL NOT FORGET YOU!
09/15/2014 5:46 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
notch might still be with us if people had not complained about all the server changes
but maybe not.....
09/15/2014 4:08 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Back from reading his website's post.

As with everybody else, I support the decision. He has already done everybody a great favor by creating Minecraft, and although he didn't want to, he has already affected the world quite greatly. Now that he has achieved this major accomplishment in life, he is relieved from the responsibility of doing so, and thus he should be rewarded to an enjoyable quiet life that he wanted.

*EDIT* He earned it. GG WP Notch.
09/15/2014 7:29 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin
CommanderNeville
Maybe now that he has more free time to make little games of his choice we may see more stuff like "Cliffhorse" in the future :)
09/15/2014 4:06 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
WartanDude
Mojang, let's hope you don't turn into a new Rareware.
09/15/2014 3:51 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Pony
EPIC DUCK03
Me:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Click to reveal
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
09/15/2014 3:27 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
Stumpehfied
In this, he will become an even greater legend.
09/15/2014 3:25 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
"What about the other editions of Minecraft? Will they stop being developed?
There’s no reason for the development, sales, and support of the PC/Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android versions of Minecraft to stop. Of course, Microsoft can’t make decisions for other companies or predict the choices that they might make in the future.

We’re extremely proud of all editions and the awesome things you have achieved through playing together.

Is the game going to change? Will we still be able to make videos, mods, awesome builds, and all the cool stuff we’ve created over the past few years?
Minecraft will continue to evolve, just like it has since the start of development. We don’t know specific plans for Minecraft’s future yet, but we do know that everyone involved wants the community to grow and become even more amazing than it’s ever been. Stopping players making cool stuff is not in anyone’s interests."
-mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

Enough about Microsoft. This isn't a Microsoft discussion thread.
09/15/2014 3:20 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Modder
Calm_Hawk
what Mojang said if that other companies, like Apple and the PlayStation, might drop minecraft on their devices because every sale is a profit of their biggest competitor. Microsoft. like what McDonalds did when one of their biggest competitor bought out Heinz ketchup
09/15/2014 1:25 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
telamonianajax
It's all the fans fault, but I won't argue that here. PM me, or read my blog.
Notch: You are awesome. Keep making innovative games and ignore the idiots who tell you otherwise.
09/15/2014 6:50 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
Finally, someone understands!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome