Help Protect The Modders!

GildedGam3r's Avatar GildedGam3r7/27/14 3:23 am
1 emeralds 1.9k 70
7/28/2014 2:52 pm
ChaosExpert's Avatar ChaosExpert
This is the link for a petition that asks for more protection for modders. The petition basically is asking Mojang to change the EULA so that modders have more rights for their mods.

Please sign this petition to give modders more rights:
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/mojang-protect-minecraft-mod-authors-by-getting-mojang-to-change-their-eula-to-give-more-rights-to-modders

Extra Info provided by searchndstroy
Click to reveal
If you make any content available on or through our Game, you must give us permission to use, copy, modify and adapt that content. This permission must be irrevocable, and you must also let us permit other people to use, copy, modify and adapt your content. If you don‘t want to give us this permission, do not make content available on or through our Game. Please think carefully before you make any content available, because it will be made public and might even be used by other people in a way you don‘t like.

I don't think Mojang seems to understand how some people don't want their content reused in another person project.

Here are my thoughts on the EULA,They may be wrong or right. Quote my post on what I was wrong and I will consider changing my opinion based on the legitimacy of your comment. Mojang blinded you with the pay to win stuff.

I don't think they enforced the eula JUST to get rid of pay to win servers. It may have been a distraction, since no one talked about this, I didn't realise this was in here until now. Maybe Mojang is running out of ideas for Minecraft? And they wanted more, so enforce the EULA, make everyone distracted by disallowing pay to win, and they use peoples ideas and add it to their game(legally). Modders cannot put a license on their content, unless it allows Mojang and other people to copy, modify and adapt, so they cannot protect their mod ideas. Because if the EULA was about community, they would allow modders to have their rights to their content. If Mojang were to edit this by, if we take your ideas, we give you credit, and maybe some money, I would be a little less angry by this. I'm going to say again, if modders have to allow people to copy, modify, and adapt their content, they don't have much control on how it is used. They can't fully protected their creations. Hopefully Mojang didn't enforce the eula to suck ideas out of the community. I should have the choice to decide whether someone can use my private plugin, not Mojang. I would not like to wake up some day and find Mojang implemented my mod into their game, thus rendering my mod and my time useless. While it would be nice to see Mojang use your idea, mods are mods, and lets keep them that way, instead of packages of ideas for Mojang to use.
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right.
Hopefully I'm wrong.

Consider the fact that the EULA doesn't allow "hacked" clients to be distributed(Clients like nodus aren't hacked, so what a great word choice Mojang). Doesn't that suck that they got their wording wrong, and in legal documents, you don't just go and say, "Oh I meant to say this". Clearly for their EULA they haven't done FULL research on what they are trying to do with the EULA, and I hope before August 1st, they multi check that their EULA is something that won't make me(or any other modder) afraid of posting mods.

One final thing: This applies to everything you make public for Minecraft. Mods, plugins, resourcepacks, maps, skins, etc.
GildedGam3r
Level 44 : Master Poro

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/28/2014 2:21 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Dragonborn
foeLe
Okay, well, I am done with this thread, tired of arguing with people who support a pointless 6 month old petition that has only 2,500 followers, that will also never get anything done.
Even if it gets all 3,000 signatures, you really think that one five-thousandth of the community who have no clue what they're doing will change Mojang's mind?
I'm out.
07/28/2014 2:46 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
^
|
|
|

The petition is pointless. I have not seen a single major modder creating goods mods like computercraft, industrialcraft, buildcraft complain. I don't think there is an issue, people just over reacting about it. Also, I agree with the person above, a petition can not force them to change the EULA, and I highly doubt they will.
07/28/2014 2:52 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
Absolutely. Petitions rarely ever work. Will Mojang care if a small group of people sign a petition? No. All the people who signed this are either people who don't code at all, or people who make small mods. All I'm seeing from this petition is views.
07/28/2014 2:17 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Banana Doctor
GildedGam3r, I love your work, so although I cannot code, I support this because you do. I signed.
07/28/2014 2:18 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Pokemon
JoblessJello
OOOOO BANDWAGONING YAY!
07/28/2014 2:07 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Princess
Skeltal
Can we all just be quiet and just let mojang do their thing?
07/28/2014 12:59 pm
foeLe
SearchndstroyHm? Did I imply anything about the petition date? No.

A) That was in no manner directed at you, don't butt into conversations that don't involve you.

B) Actually, you did. You reasoned that Mojang was "distracting" users with the F2P enforcement, while they took peoples' mods. That would mean that you are stating that it was recent.
07/28/2014 1:33 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Modder
searchndstroy
ETminecraft
Reer123I can't believe nearly 3,000 people signed this petition

It's a 6 month old petition, what can you expect? All this reasoning that they're "distracting" people with the F2P stuff is false, because this petition has been around longer.

Hm? Did I imply anything about the petition date? No. My points are still valid, please read post3117619.html#p3117619. I never implied anything about any petition. In my opinion any petition won't change Mojang's mind, and neither will my posts.

biome02I was looking through the reasons for signing, and WOW people are idiots. They aren't stopping modding all together. They are not going to ban mods or anything, they will just be able to use the mod.

Read this post:

PrototypeThetaIt's less about Mojang using mods, more about any mods being immediately mirrored without authorisation by scumbag third parties trying to generate revenue from other people's work.

And believe me, that's an issue, I get a lot of complaints from people who've downloaded my stuff from some other site, and have had issues due to misinformation, viruses, ext.

I think we can order a takedown, as it's technically intellectual property (at least in my case), but that costs time and money to get anywhere, and there are a LOT of these sites.

Thread is running in circles,
-leave
07/28/2014 12:17 am
JoblessJello
I was looking through the reasons for signing, and WOW people are idiots. They aren't stopping modding all together. They are not going to ban mods or anything, they will just be able to use the mod.
07/28/2014 1:03 pm
JoblessJello
[quote="searchndstroy']Read this post:[/quote]

Don't you think i did? You guys are just as bad as people who believe aliens exist and wear tinfoil hats! only on the internet instead.
And anyways, what is the distraction from enforcing the eula? they just don't like people earning money of THEIR game.
07/27/2014 11:57 pm
foeLe
Reer123I can't believe nearly 3,000 people signed this petition

It's a 6 month old petition, what can you expect? All this reasoning that they're "distracting" people with the F2P stuff is false, because this petition has been around longer.
07/27/2014 10:30 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Reer123
I can't believe nearly 3,000 people signed this petition, Mojang most likely doesn't care that you make a petition. They are a company, a company has it's goal to make a profit at the end of the month or the year. Minecraft is slowly losing popularity and Mojang is making less and less money, so, they implement Realms as the official minecraft server hosts, this way they will generate money off servers because at current it takes no money to make a server. This decision was made after seeing how successful Mineplex and Hypixel were [I heard they make $300,000 a month...] so they made the educated choice and decided to start their own hosting service. Then they made the new EULA trying to halt Mineplex and Hypixel's progression in making money but in the long run they'll just make more money.
07/27/2014 9:11 pm
foeLe
So I suppose nobody is going to bother to address the completely valid and logical statement I just made. Goes to show your dedication to this, eh?
07/27/2014 8:38 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Dragonborn
tinfoilboy
You're mad that the people that MAKE the game that you write mods for can take your ideas and put them into the game officially? Seriously? Wow.
07/27/2014 7:57 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
They'll be taking the idea, but not your code or textures - taking code or textures would be a breach of copyright.
07/27/2014 8:34 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
They cant take your code as the code you write requires the Forge API, without it, the mod would not work, Mojang would have to completely rewrite the entire code to get it to work with the game as the game does not have forge in it.

Also, I think its funny that people keep making these petitions, all of the petitions so far have not done a thing and Mojang is just ignoring them. so, the petition is a complete waste of time,
07/27/2014 9:51 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
Forge API isn't the only modloader/way to create mods.
07/27/2014 7:31 pm
Level 22 : Expert Nerd
pancakegirl123
I'm not sure what to believe, after seeing both sides. Mojang should be able to take mods and put them in their game if they give credit. Many people disagree because it's Mojang's game overall. That's true, but the modders wrote code and put it in the game.

Example:

Let's say I made a mod that puts pancakes in the game (may or may not be real). Since pancakes weren't already in the game, I wrote the code to put them in the game. So if Mojang comes and puts my mod in the game without changing it, then they have to give me credit for writing the code. That's what I think, I'm not too sure. However, you could put certain copyrights on the mod so Mojang would have to talk to you before putting it in the game, and I'm pretty sure most mods have a copyright on them.
07/27/2014 7:38 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Pony
StillCat
I'm certain that Mojang would talk to you anyhow. Like I said, I would be extremely happy if Mojang ever noticed me and decided to implement more items in Minecraft involving my nonexistent mod. Talking to you or not, it would be an honour.

Maybe I'll put it this way: those mods would've never existed if Minecraft wasn't invented by the creators. They still have all the rights over the mod, since it was inspired by their game and created using files on the web made possible by Mojang.
07/27/2014 7:29 pm
Level 45 : Master Sheep
ToadDan
Well, according to me, if I saw my mod was in vanilla MC, I would be psyched. It's cool to be noticed by a big company, and besides, they usually only add 1 thing from a mod.
07/27/2014 7:04 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
It's less about Mojang using mods, more about any mods being immediately mirrored without authorisation by scumbag third parties trying to generate revenue from other people's work.

And believe me, that's an issue, I get a lot of complaints from people who've downloaded my stuff from some other site, and have had issues due to misinformation, viruses, ext.

I think we can order a takedown, as it's technically intellectual property (at least in my case), but that costs time and money to get anywhere, and there are a LOT of these sites.
07/27/2014 7:22 pm
searchndstroy
How true.

The EULA states that everyone must have permission to: use, copy, modify and adapt your content.. Not sure whether that means I can go and copy someones mod, edit it a little bit and repost it?
07/27/2014 7:26 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Editing is fine, it's the reposting that's the issue. Usually modders state that their content cannot be reposted in any way, but this does shag all, people do it anyway.

And when I say people, I am fairly sure the majority of this is carried out by bots. Which makes it tricky to fix.
07/27/2014 7:37 pm
searchndstroy
Well looking at the EULA, copying usually is what bots do. I found one of my plugins on an external website, and guess what? Everything was there except the credit section. Nothing I could've done since the admin of the site posted it, so there was no way it was going to be taken down. With the EULA being enforced, there's not much freedom in choice what you can do to protect your creation.
07/27/2014 7:12 pm
StillCat
This is the main thing you all should be focusing on, then. Personally, this is all simply just a big fuss over nothing. Mojang owns the game and owns rights to use your mod, whether you like it or not. As ETminecraft stated several times, Mojang provides modders with the game files and all, so they are the creators. They can do what they want to your mod because it was based on their game, not yours. They are the people who have the power, basically.

This petition can still work. You probably just need to focus on something that's agreeable with a lot of people - stolen mods are a big deal, too.
07/27/2014 6:48 pm
StillCat
Honestly, I would be overjoyed if Mojang used my (nonexistent) mod. They should have the right to take it anytime - it is their game, after all..
07/27/2014 6:54 pm
foeLe
Yes.
07/27/2014 6:54 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
1marcos6
Yeah, I mean if you are modifying their game, and the idea is good and it works, I mean, its Mojang's game.
07/27/2014 6:45 pm
foeLe
SearchndstroyNo given credit.

GildedGam3r... but they need to give credit to the people who made the code.

You can complain about 'no given credit' when I see modders start to credit Mojang for making the game they modded.
07/27/2014 5:10 pm
Level 23 : Expert Dragonborn
vilidin
In my opinion other members of the community shouldn't have the right to do anything they want with your content. However Mojang has the right to do so and there's no way around it. These changes would have to be made by Mojang and even if they did they can always change it again.
07/27/2014 4:09 pm
searchndstroy
ETminecraft
SearchndstroyI understand it's their game, and how I agreed to their EULA when I got my account. Those are my feelings about it. There's a credit section in a game for a reason.

I'm failing to see your point here, and how this at all relates to what I just said.

Lemme remake my point. I have spent the last two months learning Java just to make mods/plugins for Minecraft. I have spent a lot of my time making plugins, and I don't want their ideas to be taken(with no credit given). I'm fine if Mojang takes my ideas and gives credit, since I'd love to see my ideas go into Minecraft. All they have to do is thank the community for their ideas by bringing at least some credit. Maybe they can do a community update, where ideas are not taken, but asked if they can be used.

The Community Update!
(Thanks to the great community for the ideas! We wouldn't have a game without you )
Changelog:

That would be a great update. But if Mojang takes ideas and gives no credit, here's what the community update would look like:

<Title name here>
Changelog:

No given credit. There's a credit section in a game for a reason. I know TF2 has a system close to this, instead of taking ideas, they have a workshop. And there have been community updates, where credit was given. Mojang should do something like a workshop, instead of pick from any creation they want to.
07/27/2014 4:00 pm
foeLe
SearchndstroyI understand it's their game, and how I agreed to their EULA when I got my account. Those are my feelings about it. There's a credit section in a game for a reason.

I'm failing to see your point here, and how this at all relates to what I just said.
07/27/2014 3:51 pm
GildedGam3r
Searchndstroy
ETminecraft
SearchndstroyThere's a problem with that. I would be fine if Mojang used my mods if they gave credit. But in their EULA, it does not state you will be credited. If I make a big mod for Minecraft, and Mojang strolls along, use my ideas, and gives no credit, I don't have a mod to work with anymore. I didn't get credit, and in the end, the normal user will think Mojang did the amazing job, not me. When the only thing they did was copy and paste. (And some code editing/bug fixing)

Read my first post.

It's THEIR GAME. When you made your account, you agreed to their policies and End-User License Agreement.

I understand it's their game, and how I agreed to their EULA when I got my account. Those are my feelings about it. There's a credit section in a game for a reason.

I agree with searchndstroy it's fine if mojang uses the code from a mod, but they need to give credit to the people who made the code.
07/27/2014 3:50 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
I'm fine with that as long as they notified me or something. Please remember modding is for fun not profit (except donations). We have enough protection, they are just allowed to tinker around with our source code. Don't forget mojang is not an evil organization they are a game developing company.
07/27/2014 3:47 pm
searchndstroy
ETminecraft
SearchndstroyThere's a problem with that. I would be fine if Mojang used my mods if they gave credit. But in their EULA, it does not state you will be credited. If I make a big mod for Minecraft, and Mojang strolls along, use my ideas, and gives no credit, I don't have a mod to work with anymore. I didn't get credit, and in the end, the normal user will think Mojang did the amazing job, not me. When the only thing they did was copy and paste. (And some code editing/bug fixing)

Read my first post.

It's THEIR GAME. When you made your account, you agreed to their policies and End-User License Agreement.

I understand it's their game, and how I agreed to their EULA when I got my account. Those are my feelings about it. There's a credit section in a game for a reason.

EDIT: Remember that this doesn't only apply to mods.
07/27/2014 3:09 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
I will not sign, this is stupid. Modders dont need extra protection, if they want, I think you could put a password on the .zip file if you want protection!
07/27/2014 2:21 pm
Level 28 : Expert Pirate
HassanPCMR
I'd sign, but the petition is asking for such specific information of where i live
07/27/2014 3:48 pm
Level 20 : Expert Cake
mcrocks999
yea same.
07/27/2014 4:46 pm
Skeltal
If I sign im afraid mojang's gonna call a bounty hunter or something.
07/27/2014 4:47 pm
GildedGam3r
o.0
07/27/2014 1:19 pm
foeLe
SearchndstroyI don't think they enforced the eula JUST to get rid of pay to win servers. It may have been a distraction, since no one talked about this, I didn't realise this was in here until now. Maybe Mojang is running out of ideas for Minecraft? And they wanted more, so enforce the EULA, make everyone distracted by disallowing pay to win, and they use peoples ideas and add it to their game(legally).

Also.

I doubt the EULA "distracting people" has anything to do with this, as this petition is supposedly over 6 months old, and last I checked, they didn't start enforcing the EULA on F2P/P2W 6 months ago.
07/27/2014 1:09 pm
Skeltal
ETminecraftI'm going to lightly step on a pile of twigs here and hope the snap doesn't trigger my death.

I personally disagree with this. Mojang gave the modders the files to edit, and those modders chose to edit them to create their mods. Or Mojang could simply disallow any mods being made because of things like this.

The game is Mojang's, so they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. If they want to take your mod and put it in their game, then they will, and you can't do anything about it because it's in the EULA (End-User License Agreement), and because it's their game. When you agreed to their policies, you agreed that they could use your junk.

SSSSH,there's a sleeping bear in that cave!

points to cave
07/27/2014 1:06 pm
foeLe
I'm going to lightly step on a pile of twigs here and hope the snap doesn't trigger my death.

I personally disagree with this. Mojang gave the modders the files to edit, and those modders chose to edit them to create their mods. Or Mojang could simply disallow any mods being made because of things like this.

The game is Mojang's, so they can do whatever they want, whenever they want. If they want to take your mod and put it in their game, then they will, and you can't do anything about it because it's in the EULA (End-User License Agreement), and because it's their game. When you agreed to their policies, you agreed that they could use your junk.

Refer to some1epic123's post for the rest of any intelligent person's reasoning.
07/27/2014 12:54 pm
Level 21 : Expert Pokemon
Epikface
I say we deserve credit.
07/27/2014 12:49 pm
Skeltal
mojang is going to sue PMC for this...
07/27/2014 12:46 pm
Level 25 : Expert Pirate
FunkyKong
Is the "Walls and Arches" mod an example of this? It seems like the two things it added were stolen by Mojang and added into vanilla Minecraft
07/27/2014 12:30 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
This needs to be explained a LOT more. Instead of just saying that modders need more protection doesn't cut it.. Something along the lines of "Stop Mojang From Being Able To Add Things From Mods To Games".
07/27/2014 12:24 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Pixel Puncher
Hunajameloni
As long as Mojang clearly tells who made the textures, models and code.
Also mod makers, include the petition link in all of your mod posts.
07/27/2014 11:51 am
Level 23 : Expert Modder
some1epic123
I know that people are going to disagree here, but as a modder and game developer,
I think that Mojang should have this right.

If you want your software to be your own, make your own game. Mojang should have the right to improve their game by using mods from the community, and modders should be happy to help Mojang improve on the game with your great features that Mojang thought suitable for improving Minecraft.
Without the community's mods, Minecraft would probably be missing a lot of great features, and modders wouldn't be moving onto their next modding project.

Just move onto another mod or project and be happy that everyone can now use your new features in Minecraft. You helped Minecraft's development, and as I said, should be happy to contribute. Hopefully someone else understands what I mean,
as I'd rather contribute to the topic than spark a flame war.
07/27/2014 12:51 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Modder
Destian_
^This. Exactly This.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome