Help with having Oldies songs in adventure pack.

CommanderNeville's Avatar CommanderNeville10/9/15 7:31 pm
1 emeralds 398 5
10/12/2015 8:29 pm
Exevium's Avatar Exevium
I've been able to get some old songs that appeared in games like Fallout and started worrying about copyright issues. The songs are put onto records and are labelled with the artist / band that song / created the song, but I'm wary of legal issues of having them in the map resource pack. All the songs are from before the sixties, some being in the late thirties, but I'm still afraid that having them in the map would be illegal.
Help?
CommanderNeville
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/12/2015 8:29 pm
Level 82 : Elite Batman
Exevium
Hmm. I'm not sure 50s songs are royalty free. I think I heard someone say Frank Sinatra's family still recieves royalties for his songs.
10/09/2015 10:04 pm
CommanderNeville
To anyone who's interested, here's the songs that will be in the map:
"I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" -The Ink Spots
"Jeepers Creepers" -Paul Whiteman
"Mr. Sandman" -The Chordettes
"Civilization" -Danny Kaye and the Andrews Sisters
"Way Back Home" -Bob Crosby
10/09/2015 9:58 pm
CommanderNeville
Okay, thanks guys; the songs are already accredited to the makers of the songs, but I'll also make a note in the map download of their origin / artists.

Funny you mention "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" because the map is going to be named after it: "A World on Fire"
10/09/2015 8:53 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Vampire
Drzzter
I'm going to assume you're taking such songs like 'I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire' and 'Mighty Man'. Bethesda doesn't have copyright/ownership of those songs if I'm not mistaken, seeing as they're not their own work. The songs in Fallout are borrowed from a lot of people, and seeing as the game tries for a vintage 50s feel, a lot of the songs are from that time period.

Something like an old forgotten song from the 50s isn't going to have much in the way of copyright I believe, they should be public domain by this time. I wouldn't worry too much about it. However, if you're going to distribute this pack online or whatever, I would do like Voxel says and make sure to acknowledge that the songs aren't yours and put credit where credit is due.
10/09/2015 8:27 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Procrastinator
VoxelBlox
its not illegal to take songs from other artists and put it in your resource pack, but it is illegal to distribute the resource pack without acknowledging that the songs were not of your creation. If you keep the pack to yourself its fine, but I would redistribute it without permission first.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome