How does a server survive now days?

Neptune_Sage's Avatar Neptune_Sage3/22/15 5:29 am
1 emeralds 2.2k 58
4/4/2015 6:30 pm
Leeberator's Avatar Leeberator
So yeah, how they do, since I just realized that nearly no one will just pay to support server without expecting something in return.. And my server runs purely on donations, started with a donation and will end up without one..
Neptune_Sage
Level 17 : Journeyman Hunter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/02/2015 7:37 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I don't know how those "FACTIONS, PVP, MLG, (were all noobs) SUPER UBER PRO" servers survive, but I know that most Creative servers survive because they have a BuildTeam to support them, and take commissions.
04/02/2015 7:42 am
Level 20 : Expert Cake
mcrocks999
Yea. My thoughts exactly.
04/02/2015 7:25 am
Level 38 : Artisan Ladybug
Lucy_the_Cow
AdamCB96Also, friendliness to newer Minecrafters would help. I hate seeing these dudes get screamed at, slaughtered, and their builds ridiculously griefed on servers. When this happens, they either never join that server again, or never play on any server again. That is one less potential repeating "customer" you could have for your server.

^^
I wouldn't stay at a server if players pick on you. The server I administrate is usually pretty good wth helping new players and our player-base is pretty good. I guess you need to try and attract the "good" players rather than those who will do anything to make a buck.

I agree though, people tend to play Factions & PvP a lot more and often overlook smaller servers because they have a smaller player base. Sometimes, in my opinion, smaller is better as you can get to know your moderators and other players rather than struggling through a sea of crafters you don't even know.
04/02/2015 3:42 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
I agree that small servers won't survive, ever. People always ask "DO YOU WANT TO PLAY MINEPLEX?!?!?!?!, ect." My server started out factions because I was still figuring things out and it was easy to do. It gave me lots of experience and being staff on different servers, now I'm trying to be original
04/02/2015 3:23 am
Neptune_Sage
Looks like we are contining our server after all! My friend who gratuated 2 years ago just bought server machine so I guess we will host a server on there, now only problem is how do he/we set it up if its just plain server machine as I never worked witht those before and we didnt learn in school how to set up those yet..
04/02/2015 7:26 am
Level 38 : Artisan Ladybug
Lucy_the_Cow
Aww, glad you get to keep it open. ;D
04/02/2015 3:44 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Learn how to host servers... In school!?!? I had to learn everything by myself
The only thing related to computers and learning was a wpm typing test, I got 86wpm. Last year our teacher said she'd teach beginning of Javascript but we never did...
04/02/2015 5:38 am
Neptune_Sage
Well im in computer oriented school so yeah, we learn nearly every thing from computer parts to programming.
04/01/2015 4:19 am
Neptune_Sage
Well looks like I will have to close my server as paypal is being jerl and some how wont let me pay to our server host for their service, thank you paypal!
03/31/2015 11:18 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Architect
Michelle828
I run a RPG server with quests, factions, nations and more, and so far I've been able to pay for it with donations. Although we are a small comunity, the few who donated let the server to keep going. But its true that old days in minecraft used to be better. Many people just start their own server, making communities split and split. I've built my server with a lot of effort planning on having quite a good amount of people, having different nations, classes, guilds, with war, trade and all that stuff. But its still fun with the few people we have, but it could be better.
03/31/2015 5:02 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Grump
Corcustos
Yeah. I have noticed that it is harder for smaller servers to rise up. My server is actually doing pretty well at the moment. Steady funding. We focus on what the community wants. We even got a $30 donation a few days ago. Not too many players yet though. I haven't run into the problem of "Where are the old minecraft days when players actually wanted to build things, to go get resources, to help each other with building, to explore, where did that all gone?" as Golden Paw said.
03/31/2015 2:41 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
Theres an excessive hype for everyone to own a server, if everyone owns a server... who is left to play on those servers? I find it annoying to start a server since i know ill more likely get players on the day i post it... and then it just dies :/ at least i dont have the issue of paying for it... but having an empty server is just no fun, it kind of ruins the point of having a MULTIPLAYER server if there isnt even 1 player on... i would play on it more... but im stuck using a chat client.. pc is ... lets just say "out of order"
03/30/2015 7:36 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Mage
herpderpg
Meh... Ive Been Working On A MMORPG Server.... But Everyones To Busy Playing Stupid Factions
03/31/2015 5:58 am
Level 20 : Expert Pokemon
GamingAleks
Think of a new idea then.
03/31/2015 3:07 am
Neptune_Sage
1+

Same with me, Im trying to make some unique server too, with classes, quests and maybe if I can story line that you can follow but dont have to but NOooooo, no players join since its in horde of 10000000+ offline servers that no one bothers to look at and when I bump it it gets down again in like 3 seconds since when I bump like 500+ other people bump too...
03/31/2015 5:57 am
GamingAleks
I saw your server it's not that amazing and original as you think.
03/31/2015 7:24 am
Neptune_Sage
Really? And what would you call original? What, should I take essentials, chest shop and core server plugins out or what to be original?
03/31/2015 8:59 am
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
firstly, snapping at criticism won"t help you

secondly, what you rely on to be original is "classes", just another name for different kits
you put in some extra work compared to regular kitpvp servers to make the kits interesting, but still

thirdly, you rely on a large network of players for getting the server to work as intended
the slots you have allow you to barely get the cooperative competition resulting from groups of people with different kits when the server is completely full
and when it isn"t, tough luck, your main gamemode fails
03/31/2015 9:59 am
Neptune_Sage
I don't aim for a server with 1000000000+ players, all I want is around 15 players who will play and enjoy our server, not play it like its only thing in their life.
03/30/2015 7:26 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
Oh I'll put my knowledge into setting up a server (which I am currently doing) into this. A hub or network in particular. Setting up a server can be stressful, especially permissions. But you need to do a lot of work and effort and over periods of 3-10 months a great server will come out, as long as you have the ram and the player slots ;D
03/30/2015 7:23 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Hunter
Ciberg
A bunch of nine year old kids are trying to make servers. Apart from them, the people who do have the maturity don't have the knowledge on what to do or how to set it up. Another reason is the complete lack of originality. It's not even funny how pathetic it's become. No one tries anything new whatsoever, they look at the biggest server they can find and try to copy them block for block. I believe it'd be fairly easy to start a server if you know what you're doing and have good ideas on how to make it original. (I.E.: NO ONE WANTS ANOTHER FREAKING FACTION OR PRISON SERVER)
03/30/2015 7:08 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
My server's lived so long because the cost of maintenance is minimal. I home-host on a machine I built myself.
03/31/2015 6:00 am
GamingAleks
How do you deal with hackers, and doesn't your ip show for the rest of the world? Skilled hackers could do something with your computer.
03/31/2015 4:18 pm
Leeberator
Well the server's backed up every day, the IP is behind a domain (for convenience, not security as every website and server you visit has your IP), and the server box itself is on its own separate network isolated from the rest of our house.
03/31/2015 3:55 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
Yes, I bought a cheap PC and suped it up with new hardware. It is homehosted 24/7 and has been going since August.
03/30/2015 7:12 pm
ZachDevv
No offense but it doesn't have a huge player flow. Im pretty sure golden paw is also wanting to have a good amount of players play ;D
03/30/2015 6:36 pm
ZachDevv
Hmm.. Unique, follows EULA, offers a variety, and has a good playerbase.

Good staff, builds, and well developed plugins also key in
03/30/2015 6:40 pm
Neptune_Sage
1+ to your profile pic

Anyways good stuff, now where do I find that...Only people I can find are on PMC and those people are usually some people that just want OP to either ruin the server or just be OP/staff and not help.

Builds...well those aren't hard to achieve if you ask someone for permission to use their builds in your server even thou it wont be original.

Developed plugins...If you mean custom plugins that those are hard to find and even more cost to pay someone to update them every time new version of mc comes out and such.
03/31/2015 3:26 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Crafter
Nathat23
03/31/2015 3:36 am
Neptune_Sage
Yes but most of good ones need to be bought to use..
03/30/2015 6:53 pm
ZachDevv
Thanks, same to you. Ruby is totally the best character

Anyways you don't want to just post here. Post in a lot of places and advertise your server on forums. Builds arent that hard. And just customize your plugins so they arent stock, like in the config for clearlagg for example. Get rid of the default broadcast and make something unique.
03/30/2015 6:23 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
granmasboy99
I think one of the bigger factors is that big servers like mineplex and Nexus, and eventually CraftCadia, are basically taking the small server's player base. Which in turn leaves us owner helpless and drowning in emptyness. Its a truly sad thing. Everyone is expecting the servers now adays to have all of these fancy plugins and huge amazing builds that alot of us can't really produce. Another thing is a huge part of the minecraft population doesn't fully understand the needs of a running functional server. They don't understand that us owners need some sort of payment from someone to keep it running. Though some people would much rather have their own server, we each have that one that is really awesome and love to see stay open for a long time. All servers will eventually stop but if we all pitch in now andd then even just a dollar or two it really increases that time period that they can stay open. One more thing, alot of people's internet (including mine) can't handle the stress of a full scale server. So really our only option is to find a host. And I dont think alot of people understand that either.
03/30/2015 6:23 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Botanist
Olly
don't rely on donations. when i ran a server, i paid for it and didn't even take donations. hosting a server costs money & it's a thing i did because i didn't care about the money side of it, it was more that i enjoyed hosting it for me and other people so i didn't care about paying. relying on donations is a bad idea
03/31/2015 5:24 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Explorer
NitroStarman
Right, don't rely on donations. They help but are unreliable for supporting any server.
Big servers do tend to overshadow the newer or small player traffic servers. I've noticed while playing on many different types of servers that many players are going for PvP survival and competitive mini-games. More players want to kill, steal, and grief other players and their builds. I'm not saying that all players want to do this, but the trend is there.
Also, friendliness to newer Minecrafters would help. I hate seeing these dudes get screamed at, slaughtered, and their builds ridiculously griefed on servers. When this happens, they either never join that server again, or never play on any server again. That is one less potential repeating "customer" you could have for your server.
You want players to come back again and again, so you would want something that would attract and keep them coming. A server that is based on normal survival could have some sort of arena that players could battle in or a mini-game or 2 to give them something else to do on your server.

Currently I've been playing on a small modded server called Dangercraft. I'm usually the only player there and the owner shows up every now again. He doesn't have a lot of plugins or other custom stuff so it's pretty fun playing a modded survival. (The Orespawn creatures love to give me lots of hugs. lol)

That's all I have to say for now. (thanks for reading it all too )
03/31/2015 6:00 am
GamingAleks
+1
03/30/2015 8:59 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Dragonborn
DeprecatedLuke
False, my server dimensionmc.com, we got 60$ donations the first week we released the server...
03/30/2015 6:07 pm
Neptune_Sage
Well I didnt make this thread to post on how much you got, I just want to know how can server survive nowdays.
03/30/2015 8:19 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
The MC server industry is falling basically, i work for a server as a web dev. It's current economy grew massively in 2013, fell completely in 2014 and is currently in an economic crisis. The economy there is falling, it's not a good idea anymore.
03/30/2015 6:09 pm
Neptune_Sage
I kinda agree with this, all those big servers shadowing smaller server(s) with potential.. Just imagine how servers would be now, how many different servers there would be if there wouldn't be factions, I bet that every server would had each own special touch instead of copying other one and failing to be popular, run by 10 year old kids...
03/25/2015 7:53 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
ME1312
Well, they don't. Many servers (especially small ones) go down because of this. I'm just hosting it myself cause my internet is fine and I know I'm not going to get many donations 'till later

I'm more into just building vanilla style without all the factions nonsense. I like skyblock a bit too but all the other stuff is like "meh"
04/04/2015 2:13 pm
Neptune_Sage
We will be hosting our server from home now too, internet is great and since we bought a dedicated server machine I think we wont have any problems!
04/04/2015 6:30 pm
Leeberator
Specs? I'm curious.
03/30/2015 8:04 am
Neptune_Sage
I think you missed the point, I meant a server without factions and PvP, only good old survival with friends in which there is no killing each other!
03/30/2015 6:32 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Crafter
Chikerenaham
I miss that, shame that the majority is that 90% of the servers out there is either minigames or factions. I'm ok with the minigames, so long they are creative and original.
03/25/2015 11:54 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Mage
XBlack_LeopardX
i remember the fist server i ever played on it was a anything goes bascally so no rules other then not being rude there were like 40 people in all and you knew everyone, you had your friends, and you had your enemies you killed at first glance i wish it was still around and that those servers were the main not that i dont like playing on something like hypixel every once in a while but i really loved those old servers
so now i just have my own personal server for me and friends to play on mostly we play on my modpack but every once in a while we'll go play a game or map or something similar
03/25/2015 1:27 pm
Neptune_Sage
Well good old times... Now if I was about to recreate old style server every one would go like, I would play, I want that, blah blah and when you actually open server turns all out all those people who said that will play wont play.
03/25/2015 6:57 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Mage
XBlack_LeopardX
True but im not one of the people that dont actually play when they say they will i do play on servers like that "my own that is" with my friends and such I enjoy the old servers i mean factions and stuff is fun every once in a while but its so over done and i havent even looked at a faction server in almost 2 years now
03/25/2015 9:04 am
Neptune_Sage
There is like no progress with our server, no players, no nothing and I try so hard. Its just stupid and sad how people like only popular servers with 1000+ players to join, que, play, die, log out and go. Where are the old minecraft days when players acctuly wanted to build things, to go get resources, to help each other with building, to explore, where did that all gone? It is a really good question...
03/31/2015 2:31 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Modder
teamminer2000
You can't change anything about it, complaining will not help either. Just comply and make your server better so other people like it too instead of just you. Trying to change people will not work and is rude. Just go along with it and get succesfull. Complaining about things will not get you any further.
03/30/2015 6:33 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
PixelCrash_
For most of those things, people don't need a server (building, exploring worlds, etc). If they wanted to play with friends, they can simply create their own. The most popular servers are not strictly survival or creative, they're mostly centered around mini-games.
03/25/2015 9:10 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Derrowson
Happens with every game, in my opinion. Starts off so simple, with the basics being the most important thing (As you said - building) but, now it's completely changed.. Some think it changed for the good, others think for the bad! Keep trying your best with your server, I'd say don't give up!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome