How do experts shade

Discuss your skinning adventures here!

Post Permalink
by Rockstargman14 » 3/3/2013

ok so im kinda new to shading, at the moment i create on white or black ball and spread it over the body, but i want to know how experts shade
Level 1
New Miner

Post Permalink
by FocusLight » 3/3/2013

Here is a list of skinning tutorials, just scroll down to see it. :D

http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/the-official-pmc-skinning-guide-compendium-t91418.html
Contest Judge
Level 30
Artisan Pixel Puncher
Says: Also classified
Minecraft: Overdrive_316

Post Permalink
by TheReadyBoys » 3/4/2013

That is a good compilation of guides, but remember, everyone has a different style of shading. Try out different types, and you will eventually get one that you like.
Level 33
Artisan Farmer
Minecraft: TheReadyBoys

Post Permalink
by Azie » 3/4/2013

When I shade, I try to follow normal contours of the body and clothing. I don't like overshading, so my shading seems to lend a cartoony style. For example, your back slopes inward, toward the front of your body, unless you have a hunchback. In this case, the shading would go from light near the shoulders to dark near the waist. For clothing, ridges are lighter and valleys are darker. I tend not to overshade the skin, using only one or two colors to shade the face and bare arms.
Site Moderator
Level 38
Artisan Turtle
Says: The Sunflower Sniper
Minecraft: XxxAziexxX

Post Permalink
by -R A W R- » 3/4/2013

Your last skin looks pretty nice with that shading. Do you want to know like detailed shading, or more of a cartoon-ish shading?
Level 1
New Pixel Puncher
Says: I make minecraft skins for fun.
Minecraft: _RawrPMC_
mc_server: I don't have one yet :I

Post Permalink
by Mikugri » 3/8/2013

"Art is entirely up to the artist. No art is ever ugly, i can splash paint on your face, mix a few colors till its pitch black, then paint a black raven on your nose and call it a masterpiece." ~Wise quotes i think up on the spot, that are slightly wise.

Enyways, when you shade you can do it simple, beguiner style: Color> Same color but darker> and get darker as you come to an end.
Thats all i could say, from there practice alot, unless you have natural talent like me (no pun intended), then learn how to combine the nearest color but different color, also known as dithering, which could also reduce gif images, and also try not to have colors that are too unsaturated if your going for a more cartoonish, SIMPLE skin. Guess thats it, if you would like me to make a skin for you then please post your skin requests in my thread:
taking-any-all-skin-requests-t228718.html
Thanks! =]
Level 1
New Miner

Post Permalink
by -Rusty- » 3/8/2013

I just...

I cant explain it, its comes naturally for me

I cant put how to do it in words, nor how to do it with pictures...

just, learn, hon your skills, and become the master of skinning
The colours of the wind aren't nearly enough to describe human emotion.

Don't do it for fame, do it for the community!
Level 13
Journeyman Creeper
Says: I am the one, the creep, the creeped, forever creepy, rusty the creeper
Minecraft: rustypixelman
mc_server: The LAN network

Post Permalink
by OmegaMudkipz » 3/8/2013

TheRustyCreeper wrote:I just...

I cant explain it, its comes naturally for me

I cant put how to do it in words, nor how to do it with pictures...

just, learn, hon your skills, and become the master of skinning

This. I taught myself as well, and I'm also trying different techniques.
Level 14
Journeyman Pokemon

Post Permalink
by blockerlocker » 3/8/2013

Shading: Vague Tutorial

1.Start with your normal colored picture. You can choose any color for each part, but I suggest making them the darkest shade of that color you can get.

2.Next, you want to select the color you used on, let's say the picture's head, and make it just a LITTLE bit lighter.

3.Create a small strip of that lighter color along wherever the light is facing, example, the direction of the sun.

4.Select the lighter color you just made, and make it a LITTLE bit lighter. Now, copy step 3 onto this step and keep going till you come to the lightest color you want.

Still confused? Message me and I'll make a YouTube Tutorial, on my channel. :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/blockerlocker
Level 27
Expert Blockhead

Post Permalink
by 1227Jacob1227 » 3/23/2013

I would recommend you find a good tutorial, make a test skin, and then use empathy to improve it. ie: where would the light fall? Also to not make a bland skin, try different shading types to show a difference in cloth or metal.
Level 6
Apprentice Ranger
Says: Check out my MC drawings!
Minecraft: 1227Jacob1227
mc_server: b4.mcctf.com

Return to Skinning