How much RAM does a good Minecraft server need?

awj001's Avatar awj00112/28/12 10:35 am
1 emeralds 44.4k 19
1/5/2013 7:03 am
Jesuitical's Avatar Jesuitical
I'm making my own computer and I want to host a Minecraft server on it. This will also be a computer for my daily life. How much RAM should I put in for a Minecraft server with a good amount of players/plugins? Thanks!
awj001
awj001
Level 8 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/05/2013 7:03 am
Level 27 : Expert Princess
Jesuitical
I've locked this because you're all just giving him false information, do any of you even know what you're talking about?

OP: Please only take into account what the post above says, (mostly) the rest of the thread is nonsense.
01/05/2013 6:57 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Dragon
hiskam
i have a dumb 32-bit computer and i only have 2.6 gigabytes of ram
01/05/2013 6:39 am
Level 26 : Expert Creeper Hugger
Rewster18
Computer RAM usually comes in 8GB, 16GB or 32Gb (and lower for some shitty 32-bit computers). 8GB isn't enough for a server with a decent amount of players unless you assign all 8Gig to it, which is crazy. So you should definately go with 16GB (or 32GB if you want a hell of a lot of players).
01/05/2013 6:59 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Blacksmith
BouncingBall
I think the OP should define what he meant by "a good minecraft server". If he meant a 100 slot server with a decent amount of plugins, 8gb, or maybe more, would be needed; but it's more likely that he meant something smaller.

(Placed further info in the spoiler, since it might be counted as going a little off-topic)
Click to reveal
Also, computers that don't have 8 GB doesn't automatically make them terrible computers, a lot of computers still ship with less than 8 GB, let alone all of the 'good ones' having 16 GB/ 32 GB. I am assuming you aren't talking about single RAM sticks not having less than 8 GB, which would be blatantly wrong. Most games, including graphic intensive ones, don't usually require/recommend more than 4 GB of RAM.

As everyone else is saying, RAM isn't the whole story. You still have to worry about the rest of your computer's hardware (i.e the hard-drive, processor and the RAM) and your bandwidth.

I usually don't advise running the server on the same computer as the one you are playing on, as it usually just handicaps both your game play and the server's performance.

As someone else mentioned before in the post, see http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

They aren't always totally accurate, but it gives you a good idea.
[Keep in mind that the speed is in Mb (Mega bits), not MB (Mega bytes)]
01/05/2013 6:29 am
Level 26 : Expert Creeper Hugger
Rewster18
Most Server Hosts say 20 players per Gig of RAM Dedicated to the Server
01/05/2013 6:18 am
Level 20 : Expert Miner
fadel
I own a popular server and i normally get 100-150 players online with 8gb, i never lag expect when the server gets ddosed. Ram isn't the only thing you need to think of, you need to think about plugins too, all plugins should be up to date, and should work together.

~Fadel
01/05/2013 6:18 am
Level 24 : Expert Artist
Turbo_Cass
We have (I think) 10gb of ram total on the computer, and allotted 5. Not quite sure though. The big thing is upload speed. We don't ever run out of memory, but our upload is horrible, and that's what sometimes causes lag. There is some website where you can input the stats of your computer and it will tell you the recommended amount of people, don't know exactly what it's called though.
01/05/2013 6:12 am
Level 41 : Master Dragon
soliderproductions
It all depends on your Processor, brandwidth and harddrive and how much ram you allready have on your computer.

I would recommand 3gb ram but if you have a lot of ram on your pc I would recommand 6-10 gb ram then you get a very good server computer!
01/01/2013 8:55 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Engineer
WaterNode
Ram isn't all. You also have to consider:

• Bandwidth
  • Processor
  • Harddrive
12/30/2012 4:39 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Code_7
300k upload speed,2gb ddr2 ram, 31 plugins, core 2 quad 2.4ghz gets us 25 player slots (due to the internet connection) no increase in lag from 1 player to 25 players
TPS sits at a constant 20 even while we run orebfuscator :p

the key to making a server not lag is to have it Optimized the best you can and running Perfectly fine (20 TPS) with a decent internet connection

optimization like using spigot and plugins like ptweaks or nolagg (if you can get them working)
have the computer itself optimized, if your computer is just going to be running a mc server then you don't need adobe flash, audio services, windows areo and ect
the less plugins you have the better off you will be, so go for plugins that do more rather then a bunch that do 1 thing
12/30/2012 4:38 pm
Level 21 : Expert Pony
acs26
It doesn't matter how much ram you have, as long as you have 1gb for a bukkit server. For a survival server, at least have 512MB on your computer. But also your computer specs matter.
12/30/2012 4:54 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Alien
TheiKing
highly incorrect
01/01/2013 2:00 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Code_7
tbh i would say that is correct to some extent
1gb for bukkit would be the lowest i would ever dare go with a bukkit server and i'd get no more then 10 plugins
as for a vanilla survival server i'd say 512mb would be in the right range for about 5-10ppl
12/30/2012 4:35 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Alien
TheiKing
Lets not forget something that is more important than ram.

Bandwidth

You can have all the ram in the world on a machine but if you dont have a good upload speed on your network that ram is useless and your players will lag non-the-less.

For major servers that receive alot of traffic it is recommended for someone to have a 100mbps Upload bandwidth which is why most major servers rent hosting from service providers.

If you are looking to host from your home machine be sure you have a good solid network with decent bandwidth. Small to medium servers should have at least 25 to 50 mbps upload

As for ram goes, I usually try to allocate at least 6 gb ram to each server. 1GB for normal server functions and plugins. The extra 5 is for slots. Typically the rule for ram on minecraft servers is 1GB of ram equates to about 5-10 player slots. I usually say 1gb is worth about 7 players per gig. So 5 gigs is about 40-50 slots. My flagship server has 16gb Ram Allocated to it, we are expanding to 32 soon. (iKingsSGC hosts its servers on my home connection as I get 100mbps download and 100mbps upload speeds.)

But again before you go out and spend a large amount on ram be sure your network connection has decent bandwidth.

Also before spending loads of cash on ram be sure you CPU can handle the load. Most servers bottleneck on CPU power even if they have a decent amount of ram. You cant expect an intel pentium processor to be able to host a server that gets large amounts of traffic, its just going to bottleneck on you and cause issues even if you have lets say 6gb ram allocated to the server.

So before spending all that money on ram please be sure to check not only your machine stats but also your bandwidth speed.
12/30/2012 4:20 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
xPsy
Fill this is.
It will tell you what you can

1GB=1024 MB

http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/
12/30/2012 3:54 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Network
Jack_Keeley
Well, From a so-called Expert (Me xD) i would say that you should get 12GB of RAM on your computer in total, this is if you are going to be playing Minecraft and running the server at the same time, Also, for a few players and plugins, you should be fine with 1GB of ram for the minecraft server, although whenever i host, i normally put 4GB, just because i have enough remaining that if Minecraft needs it it can use it.
If you need help setting up your server, you can add me on skype at : Jack_Keeley

Good Luck!

- Jack
12/30/2012 3:46 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Modder
Welshgamer16
1gb minimum is recommend. Remember depending on how many people you have on your server the ram goes to each player,chunks loaded and plugins.

I would suggest for a 10-20 player server with the most popular plugins such as essentials etc,to have 6-8gb for a non laggy server although even if you have the required internet and the ram you still need to be able to develop the plugins some plugins may be incompatible with each other therefore may need a little tweaking in the config and such.

If its lan and its just you and a couple of friends then 250mb is good.
12/30/2012 3:41 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Architect
lets_play_this
depends how many players/plugins your going to have 2gb will do ya about 15 players and about 5 to 10 good plugins
12/28/2012 10:37 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
hutchy01
2-5 GB Ram For LAN
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome