How to run minecraft on an SSD?

ValleyDew's Avatar ValleyDew8/22/14 12:31 pm
1 emeralds 4.2k 5
8/22/2014 1:21 pm
TheXWolf's Avatar TheXWolf
I'm trying to run minecraft on an ssd cause I heard it runs faster like that. But I don't know how to put it in there. Is it like running minecraft on a flash drive?

Also, does running minecraft on a flash drive make it slower?
ValleyDew
Level 14 : Journeyman Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/22/2014 12:50 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Engineer
TheXWolf
Ok so first the short version: Yes an SSD is faster and yes a USB is slower.

First off changing the MC location is easy, go into your profile on the launcher; check and change the "Game Directory" setting. Close and copy and paste if you want to make the next load up a bit faster.

Long Answer:
A SSD has no searching/writing or reading to do off a disk. (HDD = Hard Drive Disk, it's a bunch of platters basically.) The average HDD is a 7200 rp/m drive with Sata 3 that's 6gb/s. USB 3.0 is only 5g/b per second. Even with my drive being a raptor (10k RPM) it's not as fast as my secondary SSD. They're lighter, cooler, WAY faster. (Latency is 1/10th of a millisecond vs the average HDD of 6ms.) A USB is a terrible idea in general. The SSD will be faster but not so much it'll matter.

Java is inherently slow (I'm a C#/C++/Java/SQL programmer) so no matter what you're still looking and some speed issues. I wouldn't run out and get an SSD just for minecraft, but yes it's faster.
08/22/2014 1:06 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
This basically explains all my thoughts.
08/22/2014 1:21 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Engineer
TheXWolf
Why thank you!
08/22/2014 12:44 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Unless you're using a really slow hard drive right now, running it on an SSD won't give a worthwhile performance boost. All it does is speed up Minecraft's already pretty fast loading times.

Running it from a flash drive would be slower than running it from a hard drive.
08/22/2014 12:43 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Explorer
SomeonePrivate
same thing as if you ran it on an hdd, and you don't really need an ssd, if you have less than 60-100 players on the server
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome