How to save WMV files faster?

Leeanne's Avatar Leeanne8/1/14 1:31 am
8/1/2014 9:01 pm
Leeberator's Avatar Leeberator
Okay, so for editing my YouTube videos I use Windows Movie Maker. It works really well, but I only have one problem. In order to upload them to YouTube, I have to save it as "recommended for this project", which saves as a WMV. But the problem is, they take like an hour or so to save. My friend, who I taught how to edit and save them, says it takes her about 5 minutes. Is there any way to make them save faster? Thanks

x
Leeanne
Level 26 : Expert Unicorn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/01/2014 8:57 pm
Leeanne
Okay, thanks, I guess I'll have to send my videos to my friend and have her save them for me.
08/01/2014 9:01 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
For the time being, that could work assuming you're going to be sending them via a USB drive/other physical media and not over the Internet. That would take a while even on a gigabit connection.

Keep in mind you'll be needing to send both the WLMP file and all of the raw video files to your friend.
08/01/2014 9:00 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Artist
KingJackTheFirst
Yes, your computer won't get any faster without upgrading the entire unit. As I assume you're recording gameplay, a new upgrade would improve your performance in-game as well. For example frame-rate and render distance (more so if you got a dedicated graphics card unlike your current setup). This would make your videos more enjoyable to watch from a viewer's perspective.

I hope this helps,
Jack
08/01/2014 8:40 pm
KingJackTheFirst
Hi Leeanne,

The speed at which Windows Movie Maker, or in fact any media-creating software can create a video is determined on what hardware your computer has. For this specific task, the CPU speed will be the largest factor which determines your speed. Chances are, your friend has a significantly more powerful CPU than you do, and can therefore render videos quicker. The read/write speed of your HDD may also be affecting this, but I'd guess it is more CPU related.

What processor (CPU) are you using right now? Do you know the name of it, the amount of cores and clock speed? These can easily be found on 'Computer'.

Jack
08/01/2014 8:48 pm
Leeanne
Thanks, I have a AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHz
08/01/2014 8:54 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
That would be the cause. Your CPU isn't exactly strong, so saving videos is going to take a long time.

My last computer had a Pentium D 945 in it (dual-core, 3.4 GHz), and it took forever to even save a video just a few minutes long. Overnight savings were common.

Now, I've got an i7-4770K (quad-core/eight-thread, 3.5 GHz), which saves videos like there's no tomorrow. As others have suggested, if you want faster video saving speeds, you'll need to get a new computer, which is where me, Killertoad, Randomness, and several others come in and we will be more than happy to help you out.
08/01/2014 9:00 pm
Leeanne
Thanks for wanting to help, but building computers are expensive and stuff so yeahh.
08/01/2014 8:53 pm
KingJackTheFirst
Well then I think I've found the answer to your problem. You're processor is quite old and not very powerful at all. Compared to today's technology, this CPU is very weak and I'd strongly advise upgrading your computer if you wish to increase the time it takes to perform certain tasks like this. 1.4 GHz is an extremely low clock speed also! Some mobile phones are able to clock this high already.

If the save time of your computer is such an issue, I'd strongly suggest getting a new computer entirely as your processor is very old and a new one probably wouldn't be compatible with the other old hardware inside your PC.

Hope this helps, I know it's probably not the answer your were hoping for

Kind Regards,
Jack
www.jackwebdesign.co.uk
08/01/2014 8:53 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
That is a terrible CPU
08/01/2014 8:33 pm
Leeanne
I'm not sure what the 2 above me mean, but I guess I can find out and give it a try.
08/01/2014 12:24 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
Get a SSD.
08/01/2014 12:23 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Export it/save file as .mp4 or .mov
08/01/2014 8:42 pm
Leeanne
You cant save the file as a .mp4 or .mov, you can only save Wlmp as WMV.
08/01/2014 11:17 am
Leeanne
That didnt work, anyone have any other ideas?
08/01/2014 2:05 am
Level 20 : Expert Cake
mcrocks999
Export at a diffrent resolution and framerate.

P.S. typing with an on-screen keyboard
08/01/2014 2:12 am
Leeanne
Okay, I'll try it, thanks
08/01/2014 1:58 am
Leeanne
This is not about uploading, this is about saving the actuall file. :/
08/01/2014 1:34 am
Level 20 : Expert Prince
Lynnno
The reason there aren't many popular youtube channels are because the upload time. It all varies beyond your internet and how fast your upload speed is. like for me I have 5mb/s upload speed and it takes me around 4 hours to post a 1hr long video to youtube.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome