How to update someone else's mod?

Dirkerdoodle's Avatar Dirkerdoodle2/11/16 7:33 am
1 emeralds 3.1k 11
3/7/2016 1:36 am
qwEArfzwsertgredtyhr's Avatar qwEArfzwsertgredtyhr
Alright so I have some really old mods on my external drive, that I kind of want in my game. Right now, all my current mods are 1.8, but the old ones are 1.7.4 and 1.6.
I did some looking into it, and it seems these are mostly abandoned mods, ones that the creators don't really intend to work on anymore, or the creators have just kind of... vanished.
I have NO desire nor intention to share any of these mods after edit.
However, I am brand new to modding, never made a mod in my life. Since I am interested in learning to mod, I figure it'd be easier to mess around with a premade mod than it would be to jump in head first and try making something from scratch, right?
Again, these edits will be for personal and private use only. These are old mods that have been abandoned or discontinued.

Since I am new to this, please be patient, and remember I have no idea what I'm doing.
Dirkerdoodle
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/07/2016 1:36 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Archer
qwEArfzwsertgredtyhr
Look at the "Essence of the Gods" mod, it's horribe, but it gives you EVERYTHING you need to know about modding, it's also open source(witch means they have a download for the java files), Hope I helped
03/04/2016 9:45 pm
Level 25 : Expert Engineer
MoominSha
I saw on spigot's main page some comment the read more button?
You can import old legacy bukkit tags into any pre 1.7.9 and upgrade
it with the new 1.9 tags using buildtools
and some command line.

It appears to rebuild plugin's internal references or something?

java -jar BuildData/bin/SpecialSource-2.jar map -m CraftBukkit/deprecation-mappings.csrg -i MyPlugin.jar -o MyPlugin-fixed.jar

Check it maybe. Looks a bit geeky.

https://www.spigotmc.org/threads/minecr ... se.127186/

Perhaps there is a way...
02/11/2016 5:41 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
Out of interest, which mods are they?
02/11/2016 11:41 am
Level 88 : Elite Senpai
sekwah41
Search for a tool called bearded octo nemesis. You can use that to change methods back before decompiling it so you are able to edit it. 1.8 was a rather annoying update so unless you know or are someone with experience or the mod is really simple I would not suggest even attempting it.

I would not suggest trying to remake them in the newer versions to learn because as i said a lot has changed. Follow some 1.8 tutorials. Also if you still feel you want to update them try contacting the authors to see if they are not planning to update or ask for a copy of the source code.

Also some modders have GitHub and host the source code there, such as me, iChun and SlimeKnights.
02/11/2016 9:47 am
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
extract the jar to a file so you can access all the .class files inside, then use this website to decompile the .class files to editable .java files. You may have to reformat it a little bit because it does the whitespace a little weird, but it will still work the same. http://www.javadecompilers.com/

I haven't done any modding before, so I can't help you past that point. Good luck!
02/11/2016 8:06 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
tobbestark
First you need to get your hands on the actual java files, because when you download a mod you only download the java classes. The classes are compiled, and such they cannot be edited by code. There's maybe some way to go around it, but I don't know. My tip is to contact the creators of the mods and ask if you could get access to the java files
02/11/2016 8:09 am
Dirkerdoodle
Oh.. that's a shame. Well, at least I found this out early on, haha.
02/11/2016 8:58 am
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NewSuperMario
Pretty sure there should be some sort of Java decompiler available that converts .class to .java
02/11/2016 9:30 am
Dirkerdoodle
Oh, well. I guess that should have been the obvious next step for me.
That's how you know you've been awake too long.
02/11/2016 7:39 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
unless u can get the source code, your kinda out of luck
02/11/2016 7:41 am
Dirkerdoodle
Would I have to get that directly from the creator, or is there a way to get that myself?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome