How would i host a website????

gamerfreak717's Avatar gamerfreak7174/23/14 8:26 am
1 emeralds 427 8
4/25/2014 6:43 am
gamerfreak717's Avatar gamerfreak717
What would the best way to go about uploading a website to web iv tryed lots of websites that you can host from but none of the are very good please help some one
gamerfreak717
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/23/2014 11:49 am
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
ZonkedCompanion
Well here's the basics...

First you want to get a cheap/free/unwanted pc with these minimum specs...

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fed ... icx86.html

Then you need to download and install fedora...

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fed ... ion_Guide/

Then you need to download and install LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySql, PHP)...

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... -on-fedora

Then you can use DDNS Services from Afraid.org to host and manage your domains so they resolve to your IP.

Then you need to port forward the relevant ports (port 80 for www) on your router to the machine.

You need to have a basic understanding of Linux, Apache, and how DNS resolution works, otherwise your going to find this hard.

Bare in mind your internet connection is most likely without DDOS protection, but in my opinion its very unlikely you would ever be DDOSed. (remember ddosing is a lot of effort and requires a lot of resources, so its unlikely anyone will bother.)

You will also need a bare minimum of 1mbps UPLOAD and a good latency- download speed is pretty irrelevant.
04/25/2014 6:43 am
gamerfreak717
which version of fedora? can you link me to the one i need to download
04/23/2014 10:46 am
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
ZonkedCompanion
You could host yourself with an old "free-to-collect" pc and a bit of know how. I run all of my websites on an old Pentium III with 128mb RAM and an old version of Fedora.

Doesn't cost me a dime other than the electricity bill, (which isn't much as it only draws 250w)

Only drawback is you need a decent upload speed on your internet connection.
04/23/2014 11:26 am
gamerfreak717
add me on skype jsykes180 i like this idea
04/23/2014 9:59 am
Level 26 : Expert Nerd
Amsarian
Google some hosting providers, and make sure they aren't free because those ones are irritating. If you're going to make a website you best have the money to pay for hosting.

Also try GoDaddy perhaps? I've seen people discuss it, it's about $60 for a year. I haven't seen any reviews or tried it though.
04/23/2014 9:54 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
sycoinc
Try Godaddy, bluehost, justhost (i use this one for my business) just google top 10 hosting providers for your country... and compare prices..

for what you need is a simple plan that can have html, php, mysql enabled (php and mysql for use of forums like phpbb3 and xenforo)

Godaddy is cheap and solid services but their customer support sucks at times. but i would go with them as they have easy one click installs of things
04/23/2014 8:29 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Engineer
Quanto__
Try HostMonster. I use them and they're pretty good.
04/23/2014 8:33 am
gamerfreak717
Just looking at the reviews and they sound rubbish any other host that any one knows?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome