Ive noticed...most skins are feature white americans

OBVERSE's Avatar OBVERSE6/22/15 12:16 pm
1 emeralds 3.1k 104
7/2/2015 6:22 pm
Azie's Avatar Azie
I was scrolling through pmc with my bff, and we found very few african american, asian, hispanic, etc skins. So I started an anti rascism project, where I upload diffrent types of people from across the world. I encourage you to do the same.
OBVERSE
Level 17 : Journeyman Unicorn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/02/2015 6:22 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I was gonna let this one continue since people have been pretty good up until this point, but OP hasn't chosen to edit their original post to reflect the encouragement of diversity rather than essentially calling people racists for their skin choices and it's caused a pretty flamey response to occur. If OP/someone else wants to create a "skinning diversity" project thread giving tips on how to work with darker skin-tones, giving ideas for more diverse skins, etc. then feel free.
07/02/2015 6:08 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Button Pusher
-Snowy-
People don't make them look like that so It doesn't look offensive because its pretty hard to make skins and not offend people.
07/02/2015 5:42 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1206640
[deleted]
07/02/2015 5:38 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
Yay, the voices of reason have returned to save us all from insanity!
07/02/2015 5:13 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
How can you start an anti-racism project here when there was no racism to begin with? It'd be better to call it something like a diversity project.
07/02/2015 5:38 pm
Level 49 : Master Creeper Hugger
Cookiesz
That's actually a great idea!
07/02/2015 5:22 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
That. Some of these posts discussing this thread's implication that we all have to "make skins of other races to avoid being racist" upset me. Why is this even being implied? I'm white, American, and not racist, so why should I have to consciously spend my time making Indian/African/Asian skins to "avoid being racist" if that's not what I want to do as an artist? No one is automatically racist for only making Caucasian skins or any other single skin representing a single skin color.

Diversity is cool and encouraging it is great, but calling people racist because they choose to make a certain type of skin that isn't inherently racist because it only represents a single skin color is silly.
07/02/2015 5:03 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
FLAMESS123
Namez
Are you trying to say that you aren't allowed to make a black skin if you aren't black, and vice versa? It sure sounds that way, and it is offending to many if you did mean it that way.

No, you're taking it all wrong. There's no rulebook to what you should or should not skin. I'm just saying you shouldn't have to do mc skins of different races to avoid being "racist". I'm definitely not trying to be racist, I'm saying its ridiculous that you would make a skin to portray a culture/race that you don't even know. The other races can make their own skins if they want.

Oh, yeah I definitely agree. No matter what situation unintentional racism is involved, and people try to make something out of nothing, its ridiculous
07/02/2015 5:03 pm
Level 22 : Expert Cowboy
CongoCarl
FLAMESS123
Namez
Are you trying to say that you aren't allowed to make a black skin if you aren't black, and vice versa? It sure sounds that way, and it is offending to many if you did mean it that way.

No, you're taking it all wrong. There's no rulebook to what you should or should not skin. I'm just saying you shouldn't have to do mc skins of different races to avoid being "racist". I'm definitely not trying to be racist, I'm saying its ridiculous that you would make a skin to portray a culture/race that you don't even know. The other races can make their own skins if they want.

Agree. Who cares if a lot of skins are white? There's a lot of white people. If someone wants a skin of another race, they can simply make one or request one from one of the many talented skin artists on this site.
07/02/2015 4:55 pm
Level 22 : Expert Taco
FLAMESS123
Namez

07/02/2015 4:52 pm
forgot about you
FLAMESS123Hey genius, maybe it was all white people that made the skins, because mostly EVERYBODY that plays minecraft is probably a white american. But what makes an American white skin different from Europeans, etc. We aren't being racist, I bet if there was a huge population of african americans playing minecraft there would be tons of african american skins.

07/02/2015 4:47 pm
Level 22 : Expert Taco
FLAMESS123
Hey genius, maybe it was all white people that made the skins, because mostly EVERYBODY that plays minecraft is probably Caucasian. But what makes an American white skin different from Europeans, etc. We aren't being racist, I bet if there was a huge population of african americans playing minecraft there would be tons of african american skins. And how can white people accurately make skins of different races? You can't create a racial skin just based off what you think about them. THAT'S racist. I'm tired of this crap. I'm sure other races would create skins of their own race, not other races.
07/02/2015 4:29 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Zombie
SpoopyBlue
I never realized and I feel like an a** im going to make a bunch of skins now >:I
too make up for it
07/02/2015 3:42 pm
Ivain
Very good point made, what would VISUALLY distinguish an "american" skin from any other white ethnicity (half of Europe, Oceania)
07/02/2015 2:28 pm
Level 73 : Legendary Pig
Aequotis
Quick question, what differentiates a white American individual from any other white ethnicity?

A skin is a way of an artist to portray their emotions, feelings and creativeness, not to state their stand on which ethnicity they prefer.

Thank you!
07/02/2015 3:29 pm
forgot about you
This is true, what is separating America from other parts of the world?
07/02/2015 3:32 pm
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
Freedom and democracy

The first quote is a very good answer - OP, look at it.
I think OP has their answer. Can someone lock this?
07/02/2015 2:15 pm
Ivain
I made a skin a loooong time ago of a viking. While still being a white male, at least its not an american teen skin.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/sven-the-viking-2605223/
The skin I'm wearing now is one I asked a skinner with much more talent than me to make: http://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/robot-pelican-jrayko-commision-for-fantasymaster/.

Its not a white american man since its not a human at all. It is a Cyborg Pelican, which while not being quite on topic, definitely counts as original. The reason so many people make these "teen skins" is because they want to wear a skin they made themselves, but are not creative enough to make anything other than an avatar that roughly resembles them, what they want look like, or what whoever they copied the parts from wanted to look like.
07/02/2015 1:02 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
FurryMess
I made Cyborg from the original Teen Titans show... I made him just from my memory so it`s not perfect. http://www.needcoolshoes.com/skin/u3RMH/cyborg
07/02/2015 12:51 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
FurryMess
I`ll try it!
07/02/2015 8:18 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Architect
the adman2315
why are there no purple people in minecraft? have you ever noticed that. I mean I'm offended
07/02/2015 12:40 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
craftykids
I've made a skin of a purple person:
View Princess Repierk

I'm not sure that counts as "in minecraft," though, since nobody is wearing it (I guess people don't want bad skins of male princesses... ).
07/02/2015 12:48 pm
Cookiesz
omg haha, i'll give you a diamond for making me laugh
07/02/2015 8:10 am
Level 32 : Artisan Dragon
Malaionus
From the first two pages, I was able to find like, 10 black skins, a few yellow, some tan, and the rest white.
07/02/2015 8:06 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Dolphin
voiddagame
My skin is green
07/02/2015 8:00 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
1. Well all minecraft players aren't american, they aren't white americans, they are white overall skins.
2. That's simply because there are more white skinned players who play MC.
3. They are easier to make

I don't really see the racism in this, but maybe it would be fun with more black, asian and other types of skins.
07/02/2015 5:48 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
SirSamFFF
some people just view everything that involves skin colors as racist......
grow up
07/02/2015 2:51 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
Why does the world need to be so politically correct? Like now, people get offended if you say someone is obese. It's a medical term, if someone was very fat they are obese. Let people skin whoever they want. It's not 'racist'; people will likely skin characters or people of their same race.
07/02/2015 3:05 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
^
THIS
07/02/2015 8:16 am
Level 36 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin
07/02/2015 2:43 am
Level 25 : Expert Zombie
Halorules555
It's not racist, most Minecraft players are simply caucasian.
07/02/2015 2:37 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Endersteve
"White americans"

Sure they're white but a SKIN FOR A MINECRAFT CHARACTER doesn't have a country where it lives and makes a living, lmao that made me laugh so much.

If you don't like the skin colour because it's white and, i'd go so far as to say triggering you just change the skin colour, lmao. E Z P Z man.

*EDIT*
Also i'd like to point out that just because the main collection of skins are white doesn't mean you should make racial skins and call it "Anti Racism" Just call it your collection of racial skins because that way, it doesn't sound like that all white skins are "Racist"
07/02/2015 1:51 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
898860Hoped this helped, most of what I learned came from this site: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... -as-white/
and my Sociology class.

That was a good read, thanks m8

austinminecraft1Most likely the reason most skins are white is caused by the fact that the world has always been predominately white. People tend to draw themselves into their works.

The world has been predominantly non-white.

Von_Well, I think the only reason is because of how white skinned people (No racism which I don't think it is? ) take less work to make, you have no need to color in and risk messing the skin up.

Skins don't start off default as "white". You pick whichever colour you want from the start. If anything, the "base skin" is Steve, who seems far more darker than white-skinned people. Most people will probably override that entirely with their own selected skin colour, and the seemingly racist trend here is that many skinners go straight towards lighter tones, when they could just as easily go the other way.

*cough* Anyways,
(1) Nope, takes exact same amount of work to make. Making a skin of a white-skinned person also requires colouring in.
(2) We're making Minecraft skins here. Mess-ups are literally a pixel or two. Hardly any damage, if they ever happen in the first place. And how would "messing up" happen here?

Jex_InfiniteMost skins are white people because most skinners are white people.

Perhaps the only legit answer here. Turning to the Minecraft community as clues doesn't really help; plenty of players in non-white parts of the world, yet the skin proportion doesn't represent that. Two other explanations would be that either the skinners are modelling off themselves, and they are mostly white-skinned, or...

Another thing that I've noticed.
PMC is mostly made up of American people.
If you took the entire Minecraft community, including public and private, you'd get a far higher diversity, but based on what I've seen so far from this site, most of you guys seem to be American, and indeed at times automatically assume that everyone are Americans.

If you guys want to pull out the argument of "most Minecrafters are white", saying that "most PMCers are white" is probably a better argument.
06/30/2015 5:43 am
Cookiesz
This reminds me of something Morgan Freeman said:

Interviewer: “How are we going to get rid of racism and ….”

Freeman: “Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man, and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man."
06/30/2015 5:48 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
Morgan Freeman = Answer to world peace.
06/30/2015 5:21 am
Level 26 : Expert Skinner
Lucky_The_Dog
Not everyone who plays Minecraft is white lots of people that aren't white do play!!! D:<
06/30/2015 4:02 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Architect
ValoriaGamingNetwork
Classic. There is practically nothing these days that can be said or done without someone eventually coming to the conclusion of "racism".

Most people don't even know the real defintion of racism. Most likely the reason most skins are white is caused by the fact that the world has always been predominately white. People tend to draw themselves into their works.

Nothing "unintentional" about this. Just not racism.
06/30/2015 3:55 am
forgot about you
Mainly because you don't look hard enough, rather at the pop reel. People make skins off of inspiration, and there are a lot of different races of skins. Not only that but I guarantee people will find it racist if you try to stereotypically depict that race in a skin.
I would like if members of PMC stop taking things out of context. It is insane that you will go around spreading an "anti-racism" project.
Not only that, but some could find it very racist that you don't include white in that mix. I would like if you know that all of the skins based on anime are Japanese (there are tons of anime skins), but it is quite hard to depict that.
I encourage PMC to stay the same, as you are just causing problems for everyone else that finds PMC to be fine (which it is).
06/30/2015 3:47 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
Corkpedite
I'm Mexican-American (and a pretty tanned one at that) and I have no problems with white American skins. I actually prefer those or non-human ones (like Pokemon) over human skins of other races.
06/30/2015 1:13 am
Level 35 : Artisan Taco
korall
I think its because many people make themselves as their skin and because there is many people playing in Europe and America where white people are common, they make themselves white in the game to
06/30/2015 12:02 am
Level 1 : New Miner
TRicool22
The reason why most skins are white isn't because of racism... but because minecraft is played mostly in the U.S.A and Europe where the majority of the people living there are white.
06/30/2015 5:19 am
Level 31 : Artisan Vampire
LadySpiderwick
Hey don't forget people who aren't American or European who play minecraft, one would have to be daft to "forget" that minecraft is played in more than just America or Europe.
06/30/2015 12:01 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Grump
Ploiu
This is really strange...I believe most people were doing this unintentionally. An explanation could be how our mind works. If you see a picture of a plain stick figure(a circle for a head, a straight line for a body, arms and legs) what gender/race do you automatically see it as? Most people I asked said "I'ts a white male"(source:most people I have asked). Our mind develops the concept of "default human being" based on what we see most often in the people around us. When we see the standard stick figure, we automatically see it as our concept of the "default human being" (To prove this, you said most skins feature "white Americans", and most of those skins don't specify the land of origin. You probably see all white people as "American", or you live in a part of America where Caucasians are the numerical majority, just a theory though ) . When people make skins, unless they try to make the skin look a certain way, the skin will look like a "white American" to the people who see the "default human" as one.

Hoped this helped, most of what I learned came from this site: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... -as-white/
and my Sociology class.
06/29/2015 11:51 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Von_
Well, I think the only reason is because of how white skinned people (No racism which I don't think it is? ) take less work to make, you have no need to color in and risk messing the skin up. Anyways the skin I look for are always animals..
06/30/2015 5:20 am
Level 26 : Expert Skinner
Lucky_The_Dog
I said 'white skinned' people. That's racist.
06/29/2015 11:18 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pokemon
NovaCat3
Thank you, observant person. I think most people were doing this unintentionally, but I certainly will make some skins of different races
06/29/2015 10:53 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Turtle
FlyingTurtles
JamesBondage77
OBVERSEI was scrolling through pmc with my bff, and we found very few african american, asian, hispanic, etc skins. So I started an anti rascism project, where I upload diffrent types of people from across the world. I encourage you to do the same.

how is it racist if there are a lot of "white" pmc skins? All races and creeds have the ability to submit their own skins, not JUST white people...fyi I have seen NUMEROUS skins from all races, and all colors - even pink...

#pplAgainstPinkDiscrimination
06/27/2015 12:03 am
Level 36 : Artisan Architect
JamesBondage77
OBVERSEI was scrolling through pmc with my bff, and we found very few african american, asian, hispanic, etc skins. So I started an anti rascism project, where I upload diffrent types of people from across the world. I encourage you to do the same.

how is it racist if there are a lot of "white" pmc skins? All races and creeds have the ability to submit their own skins, not JUST white people...fyi I have seen NUMEROUS skins from all races, and all colors - even pink...
06/26/2015 11:59 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Ranger
ClayAwesome54
Snowyfox
ClayAwesome54

First, there are more white people in the US, which is most likely why.
Second, if you want to find a black skin type in "Cool African American Skins", or stop being lazy and make your own.
Third, this isn't racist, and if you are going to start "anti-rasicsm project", please spell racism right.

(1) *thumbs up*
(2) Telling somebody to just make something themselves if they don't like what's around is not always a good suggestion. OP is upset at the lack of variety in general, not in an incapability to find skins in other skin colours. OP never mentioned that they had any difficulty finding those after explicitly searching for them.
(3) You made a spelling mistake too. This is minor. Single letters here.

Thanks for your response. I'm human and I am not perfect. So that's why I messed up my spelling. The second reason, I have to disagree. It's really easy to find an african american skin. Just type in african american in the search bar.
I think its great that the OP believes they are doing something good, but OP is just coming off as "anti-white"
06/26/2015 11:35 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
ClayAwesome54

First, there are more white people in the US, which is most likely why.
Second, if you want to find a black skin type in "Cool African American Skins", or stop being lazy and make your own.
Third, this isn't racist, and if you are going to start "anti-rasicsm project", please spell racism right.

(1) *thumbs up*
(2) Telling somebody to just make something themselves if they don't like what's around is not always a good suggestion. OP is upset at the lack of variety in general, not in an incapability to find skins in other skin colours. OP never mentioned that they had any difficulty finding those after explicitly searching for them.
(3) You made a spelling mistake too. This is minor. Single letters here.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome