Let's all learn to program!

GigabyteGiant's Avatar GigabyteGiant8/28/14 6:42 pm
8/28/2014 7:45 pm
T11T22's Avatar T11T22
Post all your programming related questions here, and I, or someone else, will try to answer them!

What not to post on this thread:
Stray Source Code - Nobody likes random source code scattered all over, so if you insist on posting your source code, use Gist.

Silly questions - This is a serious thread, therefor, questions like 'how do i maek prugam liek minecrat' will not be answered.

General programming discussion - Let's try and keep this thread fairly to the point, so if someone needs to ask a question/look for an answer, they can.

Hacking Questions - Do not ask how to hack.

Other important information:
This is not a place to ask modding questions, I will not be answering modding and plugin development questions, I will only answer non-minecraft related programming questions!

That's about it, so ask away!
GigabyteGiant
Level 42 : Master Droid

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/28/2014 7:41 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Dragon
XerNoah
I dont know if this falls under this category but how would i create a minecraft mod?
08/28/2014 7:45 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Artist
T11T22
awesomeminer said he wont reply on minecraft related stuff. havent you saw?
08/28/2014 7:42 pm
GigabyteGiant
Minecraft mods are created using Java.

Also:

The original postThis is not a place to ask modding questions, I will not be answering modding and plugin development questions, I will only answer non-minecraft related programming questions!
08/28/2014 7:17 pm
T11T22
every month i feel like programming with java so for a day straight i learn basics of java next week i forget then next month i learn again. i want to break this cycle and memorize java codes, how?
08/28/2014 7:19 pm
GigabyteGiant
All I can say is stick with it, read tutorials, look at example code, and apply what you've learned to some sort of program, and eventually, you'll have mastered the basics.
08/28/2014 7:22 pm
T11T22
thanks, and will do
08/28/2014 7:08 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Button Pusher
SpeedUHC
How did you learn to start?

How long has it taken you to start programming?
(By this I mean not looking at a tutorial and actualy understanding code)
08/28/2014 7:13 pm
GigabyteGiant
It took me a solid two years of reading before I ever started making full blown programs.
08/28/2014 7:06 pm
SpeedUHC
How did you yourself get into / learned how to program?

Also how long have it taken you to get good enough to start making a game / mod
08/28/2014 7:12 pm
GigabyteGiant
It's quite a long story, so I'll try and shorten it a bit.

In late 2006 I started messing about on my laptop, in MS Office Word, and I noticed I could save documents as an HTML file, so I started making really stupid webpages using MS Word. I did that for a few months, but quickly got tired of it. One day while playing around in Microsoft Office Excel, I noticed the VB Editor, and I played around in that, not really understanding any of it, so I went and read on the internet about it, and eventually animated a chart using VB.

Fast forward 8 (almost 9) years, and I've made games, programs, mods, plugins, websites, and countless other things.

Needless to say, I taught myself, before YouTube was a big thing. So yeah, through a lot of reading books and looking at example code on the internet, I taught myself to program, and I still haven't learned everything there is to learn.
08/28/2014 7:03 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
Flying_Flames_13
I kinda wanna make an Unreal Engine shooter but meh
GigabyteGiant
Ahh the lovely unreal engine, I messed around in that one day. Is there a certain problem that you're having?

Also, for those of you who want to look into making Xbox games, take a look into the (slightly outdated) MS XNA Game Framework but keep in mind, Microsoft no longer supports it.
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
Flying_Flames_13
No problems, hell, haven't even started, still in the planning stages, i need a story, characters, villain motivation, etc etc etc...
08/28/2014 7:23 pm
Level 21 : Expert Nerd
Aeternalis_
I can help you out with story elements. pm me.
08/28/2014 7:15 pm
GigabyteGiant
Gotta love the planning stages. If I want to make a game, I'll figure out a name for it, and then I'll play 100s of other games until ideas come to me. Doing so has allowed me to create some pretty awesome games. (storyboard wise)
08/28/2014 7:02 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Blockhead
Bubz
Could you help with Unity related problems?
08/28/2014 7:29 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
Post them here Bubzy and I'll have a look
08/28/2014 7:03 pm
GigabyteGiant
I personally don't spend much time with Unity, but post and problems, and if I don't answer them, I'm sure someone will. What can I help you with?
08/28/2014 6:55 pm
Aeternalis_
I know a good bit of batch, I can make basic programs, fantastic server start files, and can generally fix a basic problem with a program someone is making.

Advice for expanding upon it?
08/28/2014 6:59 pm
GigabyteGiant
Learn C# or C++. Both languages are great for creating programs, and aren't to terribly hard to learn the basics of. And if you have your heart set on creating a video game, C++ and C# can be used for that purpose.
Aeternalis_
A game is kinda out of the question. I want to go big or go home and I obviously can't go into a game bigger than the scale of skyrim on my first try.

Is there any pathway to Java I can take? I want to be able to make plugins and mods for an up and coming RPG server that's been in the works for months already lol.
GigabyteGiant
Look on youtube for basic java tutorials, and once you have mastered basic skills, start looking into more advanced skills such as sockets, and file io.

For plugin development, make sure you've learned the basic to advanced skills, as they will come in very handy!
08/28/2014 6:51 pm
SpeedUHC
My dream is to create my own video game. I know some languages, but what is best for a game? Java? something else?
08/28/2014 7:00 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Button Pusher
deathcrest5
C# is the best, i cant remember which, basicaly java uses the java framework while c# uses the .net framework
08/28/2014 7:02 pm
GigabyteGiant
What framework it uses doesn't make a difference. Java is a wonderful language to start with, and C# is great if you want to use Unity. It's honestly a personal preference.
08/28/2014 7:36 pm
deathcrest5
I like both frameworks but c# is more prefered as it doesnt require an additional software to run on a windows based pc, which the majority here use
08/28/2014 7:38 pm
GigabyteGiant
C# itself isn't preferred, as it doesn't have very many built in ways to handle graphics. Now, if you are going to use Unity or DirectX, C# is an awesome language.
08/28/2014 7:39 pm
deathcrest5
Thats what imeant sorry for the missunderstanding, when used in conjunction with an engine it is heaven on earth
08/28/2014 6:57 pm
GigabyteGiant
It's really a personal preference, but I prefer Java for game development, as Java will run on Mac, PC, and Linux.

But when starting out, you shouldn't worry about silly things like that, so Unity is good too.

Now, if you do choose to use Java, you might want to look into using a library to assist you, such as LibGDX, LWJGL, or JGame. Don't try and write your own at the very start. (I've spent over 3 years on my own game, writing everything using just standalone Java, and it still isn't even close to being released)
08/28/2014 7:00 pm
SpeedUHC
Do you have skype so you can help teach me more? I can pm you mine
08/28/2014 7:24 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Modder
BuildBecky
I can help teach you some of the basics of programming if you like. I've had an 'apprentice' before and they now make HTML websites. If you want some help, add me on Skype, Becky_E_N. I'm no master at it but I'm able to teach you and get you started.
--Becky
08/28/2014 7:01 pm
GigabyteGiant
I do have Skype, however I don't have enough time to try and personally teach people to program. Sorry.
08/28/2014 6:47 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
Where and how do I start? xP I mean, I already have a pretty good knowledge of how computers work but when it comes to programming BBcode is the best I can do. xP
also get on skype ya big bum
08/28/2014 6:51 pm
GigabyteGiant
That depends on what type of programming you want to do. If you want to make games, maybe you should look into Java or Unity. However, if you want to learn web development, you must learn basic HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

Also, I don't get on Skype often because I has a 'job' and do not want to be disturbed.
08/28/2014 7:28 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
Unity uses C# for those wondering (Unityscript is an easier alternative but C# is better). Java isn't great for something like the source engine style games due to it's poor garbage collector, It's better for 2d games/smaller 3d games, if you want to make powerful games, try a .NET language - they're fast, have loads of libraries and are supported by a lot of gameengines
08/28/2014 7:30 pm
GigabyteGiant
I second bmanrules, DO NOT try and make a super complex game in Java, as Java has a really poor garbage collector. Anytime I recommend Java, I am ONLY RECOMMENDING IT FOR STARTING OUT, when you are ready to make bigger games, look into DirectX, Unity, or try and make your own engine in C++.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome