Lock & Key / Password System for Doors (PC&Console)[UPDATED]

Hive_Mind's Avatar Hive_Mind1/20/16 3:17 am
2/13/2016 5:47 am
Hive_Mind's Avatar Hive_Mind
In this tutorial I explain how to make an iron door only open when you use a unique key item. This key is named, like a password.

You can also use this to power anything else related to Redstone - for example, make it so an item dispenses from a Dispenser when someone puts in a uniquely named "ticket."

If this video was useful, please subscribe to show your support & get future tutorials every Wed & Sun

UPDATE: In this newer tutorial, I show how to build a completely hidden version of the same mechanism. Absolutely nothing about it is visible until you enter the hidden room - very high security, or could also be used in "Treasure Hunt" style quests!

Hive_Mind
Level 36 : Artisan Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/13/2016 5:47 am
Hive_Mind
Updated original post with a completely hidden version. An essential ingredient to any hidden base.
02/02/2016 12:12 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Goblin
ToadieOdie
Nice, thank you! I'll show it to him. He seems to pick up a lot from observation and watching people do things. I'm sure he'll understand what you're doing in the video when he sees it. He watches quite a few Minecraft videos often. I'm sure that's how he learned about redstone in the first place.
02/02/2016 4:03 am
Hive_Mind
Oh that's cool that he enjoys Redstone. Sounds like he has the real basic-basics down. I hope the tutorials would be useful for him if he hasn't mastered communication skills yet, but who knows, maybe they would even help him do that by combining something he's already interested in with verbal instructions. Not sure though, I don't know much about teaching kids with autism or I'd offer to make at least a few videos more geared towards that.

The central, important theme to sorters is that comparators can measure how many items are in a hopper, and that if you fill a hopper with a certain type of item, other items won't be able to enter.

Here's the tutorial for that, if you'd like to check it out and / or show it to your son. It says "XBox / Playstation" but it works all the same on PC, I just recorded it on PS4.
[yt]k2RI6b9Bmrc[/yt]
02/01/2016 6:54 am
ToadieOdie
I will have to check out that video. I have a son with Autism that does all sorts of weird things with redstone - some times with a clear purpose to me and other times I'm not sure what it does. I've watched him build a few times and so far he just uses the wire, torches, and repeaters so I'm going to assume it's the most basic of basic stuff - but I still don't follow what he is doing. Sadly his communication skills aren't mastered yet so he isn't able to explain any of it to me.

The some of coolest things I've seen him do so far is:

- disco lights with redstone lamps in the ceiling that don't lag out
- a bunny statue with the mouth for a door
- a trap floor that automatically opens up and drops you when you walk on it
- a parkour room with some of the platforms automatically slipped in and out of the walls or floors, or changed height levels

I'm curious to see what he will start doing if I show him your item sorter video.
01/31/2016 7:24 am
ToadieOdie
This is really cool! Thank you for taking the time to put this together, seriously.

I have a hard time getting redstone to work. Some reason the basic principals of it are hard for me to grasp. If I could get the concept of the why behind it, I think it would be easier. But first baby steps!

So seeing stuff like this is interesting. I enjoy checking out the different stuff that can be done with it.
02/01/2016 4:42 am
Hive_Mind
No problem at all! I was wondering what to do for my next video, so having a sort of "request" helped.

Yeah once you get the REAL basics down (how repeaters work, basics of comparators, signal strength, direct vs indirectly powered, etc) then I would suggest learning how to build Item Sorters. Some of the designs which have impressed people the most, like this Lock & Key system and my Bank / Currency Exchange for Economy Servers, are basically just creative uses of Item Sorters.

I do have a video on the basics of sorters, but nothing on the real basic-basics of redstone. Not yet, anyway.
01/31/2016 6:58 am
Hive_Mind
Video for the One Choice Machine is up!

I'll probably post it in its own thread in the future, but I feel like I'm taking up too much screen real estate here on the Redstone Forum So I'll just post it in this thread for now, since it was inspired by this thread.

[yt]V8qykOkZ-1A[/yt]

For anyone who doesn't feel like reading the thread: in this tutorial I show how to build my original design for a "One Choice" or "Pick a Door" mechanism - a redstone mechanism that allows a player to select a multiple choice, but only one choice.

So, you could use this to allow players to open only one single door from many possible doors, or to pick one reward item at the end of a quest without getting the other items.
01/29/2016 6:52 am
ToadieOdie
I don't know what you should call it. I suppose this is the trickiest part isn't it?

Since you are planning to make a YouTube video on this, you may want to consider giving this a name that will give you more hits.

Dialogue Machine doesn't really say what it does, so people might not click your video to watch it.

Multi-Choice Locking Door
Choose Your Adventure Door

Or anything along those lines not only describe the purpose of your redstone machine, but hopefully will grab people's attention enough to get them to watch your video about it.
01/30/2016 4:51 am
Hive_Mind
Yeah, good point about naming it something which people can understand. Maybe "Multi-Choice Redstone Selector," because it could do more than open doors, but I'm not sure...someone really needs to make a Redstone Dictionary for things which are beyond just Comparators, Repeaters, etc.

I'll have to put more thoughts towards what to name it, and tomorrow is my last day to record the "How to Build" video lol
01/26/2016 8:26 am
ToadieOdie
Texture packs work pretty much the same for PC, but you get to make them yourself which gives you a lot of freedom within the packs.

I wonder if you could set it up so that depending on what you put in, it opens up a certain door - like a choose your own adventure moment? But once the choice is made there is no going back, so choose wisely.... bwhahahahaaha

Sorry couldn't resist the thought. Still makes me wonder just the same.
01/28/2016 3:00 pm
Hive_Mind
Oh yeah you could definitely do that. The "different choices open different doors" would be very easy. The hard part would be allowing them to have only one choice, but I'm sure it's possible. I'll look into it, test some designs and post a tutorial sometime when I have a compact, working model
01/28/2016 9:34 pm
ToadieOdie
If you couldn't get it to work so that all the other doors locked when you got one to open, you could just make it so that once the player walked through a door of their choice, the door shuts and locks behind them? Thus they would have to play the map again to see the other options/pathways.
01/29/2016 1:27 am
Hive_Mind
I could do either one, but I feel like having them only have a single choice would be more appealing (that way you could use piston doors, and they would have no idea what was behind the doors they didn't pick). I'm pretty sure I've figured out a way to do it; you just need to feed the paper (which would have the dialogue written on it) into your series of sorters, and then have the sorters feed into a chest. That chest would have a comparator connected to it, which would sense when an item is in the chest, and then shut off all the hoppers.

I should have a video up on how to build it by Sunday, I have to build it and test it though - it might not work if they put all the "Dialogue" options in at the same time. But I think I know a way around that.

What should it be called? Dialogue Machine? Multiple Option Machine?
01/25/2016 3:26 pm
ToadieOdie
I will point out that if you are using command blocks on a server map of a vanilla or semi-vanilla survival map, then the task of setting up the security system is limited to only those with op status. Regular players may want to be able to lock their doors too and I think that this is a viable system option to use for those types of servers. This could even be useful in an adventure map.

All in all I never think it's a bad thing to share innovation on any level - be it vanilla, plugins, or modding. Nice work and thanks!
01/25/2016 6:19 pm
Hive_Mind
You're welcome!

About using it for an Adventure map, you're totally right. For example, I added things to the Skyrim Map that came out with Skyrim Texture Pack on Console Edition (maybe PC too, I think texture packs work much differently on PC though).

One of the things I added was the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary. It was a Spruce Door, but behind that was an Iron door encased in Bedrock. You would open a nearby hopper, which I renamed with the Dark Brotherhood question, "What is the music of life?" So you would see that quote when you "open" the hopper. Then in a nearby chest, there were 4 responses (renamed pieces of paper, which had the quotes from Skyrim): 3 did nothing, and one "Silence, my brother," opened the door. So it worked like a "Dialogue Machine" basically.

If I was building that now, I'd probably use sticky pistons and stone instead of an iron door, but that's just one example of an Adventure / Quest-style application.
01/25/2016 1:20 am
Hive_Mind
Bump
01/20/2016 4:02 am
Level 28 : Expert Pig
Dark_Alpha_
It's easier and it works better if you use commands
01/25/2016 3:17 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
ICEThat
It's always better not using commands so you can make it in a legit survival.
01/25/2016 2:55 pm
Hive_Mind
Yeah that's a good point too. And besides Console Edition, Pocket Edition might get all the necessary Redstone someday, but I'd be surprised if PE got Command Blocks.
01/21/2016 5:29 am
Hive_Mind
Commands aren't available on Console Edition, so this design is available to a wider range of people. Also, some people just prefer not to use them, and this is really pretty easy.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome