Looking for advice from experienced builders

drblackapple's Avatar drblackapple7/22/16 4:11 am
1 emeralds 366 5
7/22/2016 10:41 pm
VoxelBlox's Avatar VoxelBlox
I am fairly new to building, but can learn very quick. I recently joined a project to recreate sets from Studio Ghibli films. I want to make Laputa or also known as "The Castle in the Sky". Just google search that if you don't know what it looks like.

My questions are, where should I start the build? I was thinking the outer rings, but I'm unsure. How can I make a perfectly symmetrical (or at least unnoticeable) castle? I've never done such a large scale build before. So any advice on large scale building, like, mods/plugins that will help to speed up or be more accurate would be awesome.

Thanks for anyone who decides to help me out in advance.
Have a great day!
drblackapple
Level 1 : New Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/22/2016 10:41 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Procrastinator
VoxelBlox
drblackapple
VoxelBloxUse MCEdit to make the rings and main structure of the castle.

What commands would I use to make the rings? I'm still pretty novice at MCEdit.

For the rings make a sphere of the desired dimensions (length and width, height doesnt matter very much) and cut off the top and bottom of the sphere, leaving the ring itself. At this point will will simply be a large and thick circle. Use another sphere the same way but dont paste it in the circle. Instead place it a good ways out of the circle and do the same thing as before. Now change the blocks of this second, smaller circle using the Fill and Replace tool and make it something you can easily tell apart. Copy or cut the smaller circle and make sure you uncheck "Copy Air" before you paste it. Once that is pasted, select the entire circle and remove the one you just posted, again with the Fill and Replace tool.

You got yourself a ring now. Follow the same process a few times.
I do understand you can get other brushes from the webs to make it easier, but that explanation is for regular MCEdit.
07/22/2016 5:43 pm
drblackapple
TheArchitect_95When it comes to large builds, I tend to use a pencil and paper to draw front and side elevations as well as a top down view, complete the drawing with its dimensions in blocks.

That's a great idea that I hadn't thought of! I'll try it out. Thanks!
07/22/2016 5:41 pm
drblackapple
VoxelBloxUse MCEdit to make the rings and main structure of the castle.

What commands would I use to make the rings? I'm still pretty novice at MCEdit.
07/22/2016 8:33 am
Level 32 : Artisan Architect
TheArchitect_95
When it comes to large builds, I tend to use a pencil and paper to draw front and side elevations as well as a top down view, complete the drawing with its dimensions in blocks. It should help you visualise what you're aiming for. Furthermore you can draw individual segments of the build.
07/22/2016 6:16 am
Level 36 : Artisan Procrastinator
VoxelBlox
Use MCEdit to make the rings and main structure of the castle. The castle itself is too big to for in the game, height wise, but you can shrink it down a bit to make it fit. If you have a private home based server then you can use world edit to make detail work. And of course being creative with how you go about doing this is key.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome