Mac or PC for programming?

Warlock315's Avatar Warlock3157/29/14 8:49 pm
7/31/2014 10:49 pm
Find Them Creepers's Avatar Find Them Creepers
Hello,

I've been part of the Minecraft community for a couple years, and so far it's been the only influence on me to learn programming. Now I doubt I'll be coding Bukkit plugins for a living, so when I mean "programming" I'm thinking of starting with the basics, learning Java, HTML + CSS. Then eventually moving onto more advanced languages, like C+, C# and the whole enchilada.

I completely understand programming isn't easy, and it takes lots of devotion and time. But being 15 years old at the moment, I'm thinking that hopefully being able to learn some of these skills, might help me out in my future. Which is where I have a few questions on how to start off.

First of all, let's talk Hardware! I'm planning on investing in a new machine to use solely for coding/learning. I'm currently looking at a 13" Macbook Air, running OSX Yosemite, 8GB RAM, Intel i7 (up to 3.3GHz), and 128GB SSD. Alongside the Macbook, I'm planning on picking up a 1TB External hard drive. Here's where I need help:

Before I start getting hate about Apple. Let me make this clear. I'm more interested in using a Macbook, because I've dealt with Dell, HP and iMac's in my past, and Apple usually tends to outlive any of my other machines. So sticking with Apple, is a strong factor in my decision. Also, the new Macbook Air's have a strong 12 hour battery, which is EXTREMELY important in my decision, as I am frequently travelling by car, plane, train, etc. So the portability factor is a strong leader for Apple. As for when I'm at home, I plan on getting a 30$ adapter so I can use the macbook air with a 24" VGA Monitor, and leave the Notebook with the lid closed for most of the time.

In terms of pure Hardware, will the Macbook have any struggles at all with running ANY necessary programs used to code, aswell as having a few other programs open such as Chrome, iTunes and Skype open in the background?

Second of all, let's talk about Software. I've heard in the past that Apple has had a weak relationship with Java, and that's why it tends to be slower to get updates pushed onto OSX. But apparently with the release of Mavericks, it's been a bit more smooth in terms of software updates with Java? Like I also mentioned, I have absolutely no prior knowledge to coding.

So for somebody who's planning on having a good start learning, does OSX in general work well for coding most languages? If so, which ones does it include, or is limited to?

To finish this up, I'm basically just wondering if a Macbook would be a good starting system to get into the Coding industry, and I'm planning on using this Notebook to about 3-4 years. Also note that the current computer I'm using, has much lower specs than the Macbook Air I mentioned.

Thanks
Warlock315
Level 6 : Apprentice Archer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/31/2014 10:49 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
bmanrules

There are 4 main C languages - C, C#, C+ and C++.

OP, Unless you're going to be creating Mac-only applications, Get a PC

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/i ... 308AAgyc2D

I know my languages
07/30/2014 5:01 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Cake
Jrcarp
Linux.
07/30/2014 12:54 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
rlaszlo100isabos
Along with getting a macbook make sure to get a monitor, i can not stress that enough when coding i can not live without a monitor, for example you can have code open one monitor and the test server on the other.
07/30/2014 12:29 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
Most major languages are universal (for example, Java). However, there are various types which each only work on Windows or Mac. Windows examples are above, but Objective-C (used for iOS apps) is mac only. What's more, if Apple find out you're using a Hackintosh they'll pull your apps from the app store, for obvious reasons.

I'd recommend investing in a cheap mac. You can install Windows and Linux on a mac machine too, so it's the best all-rounder. Make sure you get something good enough to run the latest OSX of course.

I bought a 2008 Mac Pro for around 300gbp ($500). Does the job just fine, and runs Minecraft better than my 2012 8-core PC too.
07/31/2014 10:47 pm
Warlock315
Exactly. I may have forgotten to mention I'm planning on grabbing a Windows 8 license to use with bootcamp on mac, but I'm thinking if that's the case, I might want to save up a little bit more and grab a Macbook Pro instead? What's your take on the Macbook air with the specs I mentioned, being able to run two OS's?
07/30/2014 12:23 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
TheAscentMC
C# is a Microsoft Language
07/30/2014 12:21 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Dragonborn
luigi_vampa
bmanrulesC# is Windows only.

you can c# on a mac.
http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Why you would want to though...?
07/29/2014 11:04 pm
Level 23 : Expert Engineer
Area511
13 inch monitor for programming ? Pff...
Get something decent and big, something comfortable to look for a long period of time.
07/29/2014 11:20 pm
Warlock315
I plan on getting a 30$ adapter so I can use the macbook air with a 24" VGA Monitor

There you go (;
07/30/2014 12:13 pm
Find Them Creepers
If you're going to do that I just suggest using an existing build. There's no real point in programming on road (Well, if you want to) but I think it's kind of ridiculous spending over $1100 for a computer purely for programming when you said you have a decent rig at home.
07/29/2014 9:32 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
I'd suggest starting with Xcode, which is a free coding software for macs. I'm not sure if you can code Bukkit Programming, but it will give you an idea of coding. You can read about it here.

In the long run, I wish you luck in coding and I hope to see your plugins on servers around the globe!
07/29/2014 9:30 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
Killertoad
ChaosExpertWelcome to the Apple side! I too believe it is superior in coding/work situations.

I find it works best with fewer windows open to decrease the tasks running

I think you're saying, that it slows down when you're running a bunch of tasks? Well, isn't that what coding does? You use more than one programs.

So that right there, would put me off.

@OP Get a custom build desktop. You don't need to be programming on the go, no one does that. If need-be, build a desktop, and buy a cheaper laptop, and still come out with more money, than buying an Apple laptop.

Pretty much. Although I can deal with it, it has its fair share of problems.
07/29/2014 9:30 pm
Warlock315
Killertoad
ChaosExpertWelcome to the Apple side! I too believe it is superior in coding/work situations.

I think you're saying, that it slows down when you're running a bunch of tasks? Well, isn't that what coding does? You use more than one programs.

@OP Get a custom build desktop. You don't need to be programming on the go, no one does that. If need-be, build a desktop, and buy a cheaper laptop, and still come out with more money, than buying an Apple laptop.

I agree. But I've seen countless people use Macbook Pros as their main computer, whether it's for working in the office, or taking on the go. All around, I'm not planning on rendering a 4k movie or playing Far Cry 3 on max settings. Basic things such as running a Skype call, having a web browser open and listening to music as I'm coding, is what I'm concerned about. And if it helps at all, I'm already pretty wired in my house with Apple products (iPhone & iPad), so the new OSX Yosemite is only going to make my life easier to multitask, using some of the devices I already own.

Thanks
07/29/2014 9:24 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad

07/29/2014 9:10 pm
luigi_vampa
PC, you'll get twice the machine for the same price.

Edit: good luck to you!
07/29/2014 9:04 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
Welcome to the Apple side! I too believe it is superior in coding/work situations.

I don't believe you will have any trouble with running programs. I have the 13" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, Intel i5, with the 256GB SSD. I find it works best with fewer windows open to decrease the tasks running, but you shouldn't have a problem with 8GB RAM and an Intel i7. I find Java to be up-to-date these days with Java and haven't seen that many issues lately. Coding programs for Macs are plentiful ranging from many prices to sizes. Though not free for extended use, I use Sublime Text 2. Most common Apple language now is Swift.
07/29/2014 8:58 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
You're shooting yourself in the foot by buying any premade PCs - whether Apple or Dell/HP.

As for programming, really doesn't matter. You'll not want a laptop, however. You will want multiple monitors (one screen for development/debugging, one for running the program) and separate keyboard/mouse makes it a lot easier to handle that.
07/29/2014 9:25 pm
Warlock315
Thanks for the feedback. I currently have a very comfortable office setup, that's ready to easily accommodate a laptop into it. So things such as a wireless keyboard/mouse, monitors, external drives, etc shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm mainly focused on finding an actual machine that's sufficient enough to handle basic multitasking while I'm programming. Which I agree desktops are absolutely the best choice for running a workstation, but until I'm in desperate need of a major hardware upgrade, I'm mostly concerned about being able hookup the Macbook to a monitor, pair it with a keyboard, and I'm good to go! Then when I need to get going, I can quickly unplug, hit the road and still be able to resume what I was working on.

Basically concluding to, is the Macbook Air an appropriate computer to use hooked up in an office aswell as being used on the road?
07/29/2014 9:12 pm
luigi_vampa
Multiple monitors are a must!

Edit: I've a taste for older keyboards too. My current keyboard was made for Win98! I beat it everyday and it's still rocking perfectly!
07/29/2014 8:55 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Batman
Tabbin
Build a computer and use Mac OS
07/29/2014 8:53 pm
Find Them Creepers
It doesn't matter. Java is a universal language, and you'll find an editor or an IDE for it on any OS. Also, don't be hellbent on getting a Mac, Asus and Lenovo have some nice notebooks for the same price but better. But if you really want one, go for it.

Also, it's C++ not C+ and if you buy a Mac it will be difficult to use C# because C# is Microsoft's language
07/30/2014 12:18 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
C+ is a valid language.

C# is Windows only.

Conclusion? Get a PC, it'll treat you better You'll have a much easier time jumping between languages and generally will have a lot more support for programs
07/30/2014 12:21 pm
Find Them Creepers
It's called C++, (trust me, I was trying to learn that mess after I decided to stop learning Python but now I'm doing C#)
07/30/2014 4:52 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
There are 4 main C languages - C, C#, C+ and C++.

OP, Unless you're going to be creating Mac-only applications, Get a PC
07/29/2014 10:29 pm
Warlock315
I'm tempted to purchase a Mac, since most of the devices in my home are already Apple products, so they'll work quite well together. (iPad, iPhone and some Beats Headphones)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome