Making a huge open world RPG game.

TheMrzombie2's Avatar TheMrzombie210/26/14 12:54 am
1 emeralds 1.3k 22
10/29/2014 4:31 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
[s]Hello, I am making a huge open world RPG game (kinda like [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_3]Fallout 3[/url],) and I need help thinking of ideas of what it should be about. After I get the ideas down, I will make a new forum post for people that are interested in helping me with the game.
I will be using [url=unity3d.com]Unity 4[/url] Game engine with [url=msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa288436(v=vs.71).aspx]C# Coding.[/url]

[b]IT will be a adventure/exploration/role-playing/shooter game[/b]

It will be on Steam for $30.00 USD or more depending on how long I make this game and how good it turns out.

If anyone thinks that I should do a new programming language [s]or a new game engine, let me know.
Also, if you thought of an idea let me know as well.

Thanks![/s]

[b][i][u]This thread is now dead. I will not be making a huge open world RPG game just yet.
I will come back to this when I'm ready to start something big, but first I need to start small[/u][/i][/b]
TheMrzombie2
Level 15 : Journeyman Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/29/2014 4:31 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Don't worry, MrZombie. It's alright to want to start big projects. When I was in Minecraft, I did many impressively ambitious projects. My standards weren't super high, but I was satisfied with having something that's quaint, small but also what I wanted.

In this case, a "huge open world RPG game"? Probably too hard of a task if you don't have a formal team, a Netherton of morale and a decent budget. But an open world RPG game in general? Look at the Mana World. I played it a few times and it's awesome. Cross-platform, huge, open world and an RPG. You don't have to get fancy 3D graphics.

But if you haven't learned how to code, don't have other people ready to help, and no budget, then don't go that far. Wait for the right time.

Look at me. I have quite ambitious goals in my life for coding. But now I'm very happy coding Tamago Ichi (inspired by "Stranded" that was posted on PMC a while ago). It's a small quick game that's simple but also fits what I want it to be; fun and themed.

One thing I find really nice is to start out small and then keep improving it over a series. You can easily single-handedly make a huge open world RPG game over like 2 years if you work well and improve upon each version everytime. It can start from a small text-based RPG to Might-and-Magic-like 2D graphics to fully 2D graphics then to 3D graphics and eventually to something fully open-world. By the time you reach that point, you don't even need to spend the time and money making all the lore and stuff; they were already made as you improved the game more and more.
10/28/2014 11:41 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Benjyology
Don't have "the character" walk or hold guns choppy. Make the screen shake by having dynamic motions

Not sure if this idea is worth anything, but a crafting system? And if so, have loot throughout the world. Sparkling effect of a widget on the ground would be cool. A smooth hand transition to pick the *item* up.

Got to have food in RPG games, have animals around for the killing. Sell animal hides or raw meat to vendors or nearby shop keeps. Also on the crafting, you could probably make a fire that will only last a certain time. It can prevent wolves and cook your food.

GL M8
10/28/2014 11:40 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Wolf
Colonellooo
Before doing this please seriously reconsider. You need to start small when trying to get in to the games industry. My first project was a FPS which obviously never got completed. You will either get bored or frustrated making this game for many reasons. To make a huge open world game like this you need one of these things, a huge team of programmers, model makers, and testers. Secondly if you can't get any of those you need to know how to program and make models. Lastly if you have none of the above you need a boat load of cash. Almost nobody is going to work for free on a huge project such as this one. I suggest starting small. Buy a copy of RPG Maker VX and make a 2D RPG game. Afterwards learn to code in something such as Java or C++. Trust me if you're going to get anywhere in this industry you'll really need to learn how to code or do some other skill related to game design.
10/28/2014 11:55 pm
TheMrzombie2
Thank you for stating this. After reading this, I'll reconsider this decision. I'm in the middle of learning C++ right now.
I'll try and think about getting a huge team to help work with me for this project but first, I will start small and make a simple C++ 2D Game.
10/28/2014 11:38 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Unicorn
TheOcelotSpawner
Make it oculus rift (virtual reality) compatible
10/28/2014 6:07 pm
Snowyfox
How are you going to get your money back, by the way?
10/28/2014 11:31 pm
TheMrzombie2
Just forget what I said. I wont pay people to do this.. I don't know why I thought of it.
10/28/2014 3:52 pm
TheMrzombie2
Bump.
10/27/2014 7:41 pm
TheMrzombie2
**Update**

I will be making an application shortly (MAybe in a couple days.) For the following:

- Idea Makers (Those are pretty straight-foward; quests, weapons, etc.)
- Modeling (These people will do the scenery, character modeling, etc, etc.)
- Coders (These people..Simple..Code.)
- Voice acting (Straight-Forward.)

By the way, since this is a big game, it's basically like a JOB. You get paid to do this.
I'll explain more about the money through Skype when I start accepting people since discussing money deeply isn't allowed here.
10/26/2014 5:40 pm
TheMrzombie2
I'm stupid, long ago I was using CryEngine for things and now I realized that I can't sell games off of CryEngine demo.
I will be using the Unreal Engine
10/26/2014 5:23 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Architect
EpicRevolver
Are you planning to have some sort of unique enemies or are you going for the more mainstream approach(zombies,players,wild animals, etc.)? SnowyFox's idea was what I had in mind too, but I think if you put it in a classical/Renaissance era, it would make more people play it based on how that idea is so underused. Some ideas for that time period would be: The Seven Years War, The French and Indian War, The American Revolution, The French Revolution and/or The Civil War. All of those wars involved guns so you could base it off of SnowyFox's idea. I hope this helps you and best of luck to you and your game.
10/26/2014 5:26 pm
TheMrzombie2
Wow, never thought of this.. Thanks!
10/26/2014 11:00 am
TheMrzombie2
Caziem[]PC Gaming[]Hello, you should use Unreal3 dev kit. it's free and looks far better.

I would, but the problem with it is that I'm not allowed to sell the games I make using that engine if I use the demo.
10/26/2014 6:33 am
Level 30 : Artisan Archer
Gen0ezteam
Woah, cool.
10/26/2014 5:13 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Architect
bens1226
It would be absolutely awesome if you could add a Base Building Element into the game (Dont force it into the story line, but just have it there for people to have fun with inbetween quests)
10/26/2014 5:14 pm
TheMrzombie2
I've been thinking of something like that.
10/26/2014 4:18 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Artist
SmileycorpMC
You could add melee weapons, such as crowbars, lead piping, baseball bats ect. and mayby a museum like area where you could steal an exhibit, like an ancient club or sword. Hope this helps.
10/26/2014 5:14 pm
TheMrzombie2
Ehh that's what an RPG game is.
10/26/2014 4:10 am
Snowyfox
I'm thinking about something like Skyrim, but in a modern era and no dragons. No medieval weaponry; all guns. Xenus 2: White Gold did a pretty good job in a gun-based open world RPG but there were quite a bit of things I didn't like about it; it would be nice if we got the questing and exploring experience of Skyrim while also not dealing with big dragons, fancy graphics, magic spam and constant melee fighting. I'd much rather deal with a less violent exploration of towns and forests, with a nice little firefight here and then.
10/26/2014 11:05 am
TheMrzombie2
This is the type of ideas I was looking for. Thanks!
10/26/2014 3:59 am
Level 1 : New Miner
KaiTEG
i would like to help you make your game
10/26/2014 1:11 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Caziem[]PC Gaming[]
Hello, you should use Unreal3 dev kit. it's free and looks far better.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome