Is No Man's Sky Good or Not?

AnimeFanFTW's Avatar AnimeFanFTW8/10/16 6:31 pm
1 emeralds 1.7k 29
10/3/2016 3:38 pm
Howdoimeme123's Avatar Howdoimeme123
I've been hearing alot of mixed reception to No Man's Sky. I've seen people give it 5/10 scores, I've seen others give it 9/10 scores, and I'm honestly confused.

So is the game worth getting or not? Being 60 bucks, it would be good to know if the game is good enough to be worth 60 dollars.
AnimeFanFTW
Forum Moderator
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/02/2016 11:59 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Nerd
Zelkia
A game being bad and a game being disappointing is completely different.
It's still good as it is, if you disregard everything Sean said the game would be. It's just fine then. It's just a disappointment because most of what he said the game would be wasn't true.
10/02/2016 11:03 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Dragon
TheNuclearWolf
No Man's Sky was a huge disappointment for me and my brother. We hoped to play together and explore but that was not the case sadly. But I have been developing my own game similar to No Man's Sky.

More info: http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/mantra-space-exploration-game-t568822.html

What I think about No Man's Sky:

Great idea! Great sounds! And alright graphics!
But gameplay was not up to game standards
Repetitive, not much to do, and it has almost no action.
Could have been a great game, even without multiplayer and even with the lies if they just added more things to do, more action and fixed all the bugs.
I think they released way to soon, the game feels like an alpha or a tech demo.
10/03/2016 3:38 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Howdoimeme123
"Alright graphics", have you seen the ps4 graphics? it's literally spore level graphics, which is a 2009 game.
10/02/2016 9:10 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
At this point in development, it's probably worth $10 or $15.
10/02/2016 5:03 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
In my opinion they focused on making a cool concept about a random generated space simulator but forgot to actually make it a game.

I agree with most things said before me, so no need for me to repeat them.
10/02/2016 4:51 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
Last time I checked, the people behind No Man's Sky are getting investigated for their misleading ads. Jeez.
10/02/2016 8:41 pm
Level 25 : Expert Zombie
Halorules555
Yeah, I heard that too. I would be interested with whatever they find.
10/02/2016 4:41 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Sweetheart
Myra_
I don't think it's that bad, but it's not what Sony said it would be, and it's not living up to people's expectations. That's why it has such a low score (as low as 5/10, as you said) - not because it's bad, but because it's not what people were promised.
10/02/2016 4:45 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer
TheNixedOne
This has been the case, but I still wouldn't risk it. Its one of those games that I feel has already been done and doesn't need to be done again. Yet this isn't always true, I played sonic lost world and actually liked it, yet it had mixed reviews.
10/02/2016 4:31 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer
TheNixedOne
I never played No Man's Sky, but due to the reviews being between good and bad, but not average. I suggest a game kinda of similar but easy to get. I suggest you get Spore, its a cheaper, better, and has a lot more better reviews.

Yet no mans sky I heard is sometimes not like spore but is a mix of that and other games. I suggest that spore is probably a better alternative, the servers are still up too.
08/27/2016 2:54 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
Decent in some aspects, meh in others. I think the biggest accomplishment was demonstrating the potential for procedural generation in games. By no means is it a bad game, it just could had clear potential to do better. Would probably consider it more of a trailblazer game than a masterpiece.
08/26/2016 7:37 pm
Level 44 : Master Crafter
SensorialGlint6
Reason: Sony forked out money to support Hello Games with the development of the game by means of financial support and marketing. Sony's UK marketing director Fergal Gara has stated that Sony is fully committed to supporting the title, treating the game as if it were from one of their first-party developers and considering a potential retail release of the game.

So Sony (who dealt with marketing + financing) treated and priced the game as a full on AAA game.
08/26/2016 7:31 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
Is it a fun game? Yes.

Is it the game we were shown at E3? No.
08/27/2016 2:38 pm
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
watch_dogs much?
08/26/2016 10:26 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I managed to completely avoid most trailers and media surrounding NMS until it launched and then family shared with my boyfriend so I could try it. I was completely unaware of the controversy surrounding Hello Games at release regarding features that were promised and then cut.

I think the core game-play, even if repetative, is fun and exploring planets and discovering creatures is very meditative. NMS is verging on casual play, which is fine, but I don't think that experience was what was marketed at all. Casual discovery and lore hunting isn't at all what I expected when I sat down, but I had a good time with it.

Is it worth $60? No. I played less than 20 hours and put it down and dove back into Skyrim. At most I'd pay $20 for this game. The content, even though enjoyable, is shallow and repetative and I felt like I'd discovered everything available to me after 3 planets worth of exploration.
08/26/2016 7:19 pm
AnimeFanFTW
It really confuses me as to why the game costs 60 bucks. It really does look like a 20 dollar game.
08/26/2016 7:40 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Peronally, I think it has a lot to do with production costs. I don't have any numbers to back that up, but it makes sense to me that a game like this would cost a lot to produce, even with shallow game-play, and that the price-point is more than likely a way for them to break even/profit and not about what they feel the game is actually worth.
08/26/2016 8:10 am
AnimeFanFTW
I should clarify that I made this thread, without the knowledge of the developers, Hello Games, completely lying about features that never made it into the game.

Which, by the way, is completely unacceptable. A development team that outright lies to its fanbase shouldn't be trusted.
08/26/2016 7:44 am
Level 25 : Expert Zombie
Halorules555
It doesn't look all that great and $20 would be the max that I would pay. It's looks kinda like Starmade but with a lot less to do and visuals that hurt my eyes. Why were people so hyped for this?
08/26/2016 8:07 am
SensorialGlint6
Reason why people where hyped: They promised sky, been vague on everything. Also prommised to be like Elite: Dangerous and EVE with less of a learning curve, therefore accessible for everyone.
08/26/2016 7:13 am
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
no mans sky is defiantly over hyped and a disappointment to what it was originally gonna be, it was advertised on a base of lies, and just isn't what it was going to be in the beginning
08/26/2016 6:04 am
SensorialGlint6
I believe like this reviewwill help you with giving you proper insight of the game.....Basically if you want to pay $60 for whats looks like (early) early access indie title with over repeating task and unreachable goal (you start over and over again) then sure. Its a great game for you.
08/26/2016 6:02 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
CoDoMoBoRoFoPoSoLoKo
It makes me angry that Sean Murray lied about so many features to be included in the game but, from my experience, what we got is pretty fun. However maybe I wouldn't feel the same way if I hadn't bought it for £3.30 lol
08/26/2016 6:05 am
SensorialGlint6
Another problem is that they have been vague about things...too vague for their own good.
08/26/2016 5:38 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Howdoimeme123
It's a 60 dollar indie game, it's basically an indie game trying to disguise itself as a AAA game, also the devs promised multiplayer, but that never happened. It also has bugs and glitches. No it isn't good in my opinion, it was a promising game, but it flopped.
08/10/2016 7:11 pm
Level 27 : Expert Sweetheart
Exoh
After buying it,I don't think 60$ is a good price. It's a good game but not quite worth 60$
08/10/2016 8:32 pm
AnimeFanFTW
That's what I've been hearing the most.
$60 for a survival game seems way too expensive.
08/10/2016 6:56 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Blob
Chrix12
Click to reveal
I haven't played it but I've seen a few hours of gameplay. It seems interesting and exploring random planets seems fun. Most of the time you are exploring planets and gathering resources for fuel or to upgrade your gear etc. There doesn't seem to be much story but you'll find small lore elements on the randomly generated planets.

The biggest thing about the game is the "infinite procedural generated universe". Everything else seems to be basic survival game elements and resource gathering. You might be able to build a small base of some sorts but I doubt it is going to be a big feature since you'll most likely never visit the same planet twice.

Based from what I've seen, I wouldn't exactly pay $60 for it. Maybe $30-40. Sure they have probably done lots of work on it but from a gameplay perceptive, there doesn't seem to be much to do except exploring, which is interesting on itself. Also the gathering/gear upgrades but that's nothing new. You are basically paying $60 for a random map generator with a few survival elements. I'll most likely buy No Man's Sky because I like exploring, but I'll wait for a while before buying.
08/10/2016 6:37 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
jtrent238
I would wait until it is on sale. That's a lot 60$ that's more than GTAV.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome