Mensa - High IQ Society

papuang's Avatar papuang4/17/14 8:28 pm
1 emeralds 2.1k 70
4/19/2014 7:30 pm
Azie's Avatar Azie
Hey clever folks of the PMC community,

I was just interested to see if anyone here was a member of Mensa, the high IQ society? I'd be interested to see what people's IQs were if they were a member. I only ask this because I just got my Home Test results back and scored 155, which is in the top 1 percentile.

-Papuang
papuang
Level 33 : Artisan Unicorn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/19/2014 7:30 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
This thread has went pretty downhill since I last saw it. Locking this before people begin calling each other worse things than "jerk". Compari.g people to Hitler and making snide remarks? You guys are supposed to be better than that.
04/19/2014 7:11 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Not hatred fuelled, but definitely snide, I think that's what he meant.
04/19/2014 7:18 pm
Level 49 : Master Wolf
ChileanMiner5
Exactly. You get it.
04/19/2014 7:26 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
Yeah, you were just being a -jerk-, dude.
04/19/2014 6:56 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Keith_Bellic
Just going to point out to all the people saying IQ gets you nowhere in life that for most Universities you need both an IQ level and another score that is based on course work . (The name depends on what country you live in, eg: Australia -- ATAR score)
But seeing as most people will disagree here is a quote from the Victorian State Government Department of Education:
“Employers internationally recognize the VCE qualification and Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) score. If you’re planning to work… …the VCE [score] can give you the ‘edge’ when you’re searching for the ideal job.”
Yes you can enjoy life and get to places without a high IQ but having that IQ helps to get the certificates for University. (Where you have a higher chance of getting your dream job)
04/19/2014 6:44 pm
PrototypeTheta
It's stupid to think yourself superior based on iQ

It is equally stupid to think anyone with a higher iQ thinks themselves superior.
04/19/2014 6:46 pm
papuang
That is incredibly well put.
04/19/2014 6:23 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
WritingIsFun
But do they think they are superior?
No, maybe some of them
But honestly, why do you compare them to hitler? That's just not even on the graph of offensiveness.
04/19/2014 6:42 pm
papuang
I have to say a fair few of the people in Mensa do think they are superior, but most of them don't and are genuinely nice, friendly people. Hitler's Aryan race was based around purification/cleansing of the world of those he did not see as pure humans, completely unrelated to having a higher level of intellect that an average human.
04/19/2014 6:16 pm
Level 20 : Expert Zombie
Goku_LSSJ
Iq doesn't mean shit it won't get you into college it won't help you get a job take the act's or the sats then you can brag ;D i got a 36

BTW Iq is actually more of a logic thing there have been mentally ill people who score 130's again it means nothing it doesn't make you smart you can be an idiot can score high
04/19/2014 6:09 pm
Level 26 : Expert Unicorn
Leeanne
What is this "mensa" you guys are talking about?
04/19/2014 6:15 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
CaptainRavenAndre
It's a group who think they are superior just like hitler thought his race was the master race.
04/19/2014 6:17 pm
WritingIsFun
The flame is strong in this one.

No, Mensa is a group that the title states.
A society with an above-average IQ.
That's all.
04/19/2014 6:20 pm
CaptainRavenAndre
I am not gonna start a flame war so no more. But that is the same as superiority.
04/19/2014 6:29 pm
PrototypeTheta
Yes, they are going to purify the inferior stupid people, oh noes.

Better question who actually cares?
04/19/2014 6:19 pm
Level 20 : Expert Dragonborn
poey199
Liking the profile pic!
04/19/2014 6:06 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Scribe
Poshtoffee
I don't need IQ i have the internet but more importantly:

04/19/2014 6:00 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
kogan007
Yeah, if you want to get somewhere in life, you need IQ and EQ, like for example Sheldon from the big bang theory is super smart school wise but he is a complete moron when it comes to street wise.
04/19/2014 5:58 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Ah, intelligence isn't going to get you anywhere in life unless you know how to use it. Social skills are of higher importance in modern society; if you can't talk to anyone, that intelligence is worth nothing.

Think about it this way; the fields you can go into that don't require a good amount of social skills have already been filled by people exactly like you. Those 1% when viewed on a worldwide scale are actually quite a few people, around 70 million, if I did the math right. As you can tell, I might not be the most educated person to exist in my generation, but I've certainly got the conversational skills to bring my point to the front. If you knew me as my other self, I'm immature, highly unpredictable, and I act my age, but being social and confident means I can switch personalities to fit the needs of the situation. I'm having a conversation about selling swagger right now with a few of my friends, but can hold two mindsets simultaneously. No, I haven't taken an IQ test yet, and frankly, I don't want to. It won't provide me with anything more than than a confidence boost. Hehe, notice the subtle egotism.

To summarize, it's not the intelligence by itself, it's how you apply that knowledge to the greater good or to better yourself.
04/19/2014 5:40 pm
CaptainRavenAndre
This post is ridicolous, you didn't want to know who is mensa or whatever that ridicolous "Superior" group is. You just wanted to brag your pants off so those who are less "Intelligent" can be so butthurt as possible.

Being intelligent gets you nowhere. Being wise, working and smart gets you somewhere not proving you can solve weird math things.

Also i have looked up at your replies. You sound like you think you are a better human being. A superior race.

If you tell someone who didn't score so high on the test. You will have a blue eye and you deserved it.

To take this to an and i am not an IQ god. I am smart enough though to not post stuff bragging about my peeing length records.

-Andre
04/19/2014 5:46 pm
WritingIsFun
wowowowowo

No.
No.
No.

HE WAS ASKING A QUESTION.

-runs off murmuring something about people who can't read-
04/19/2014 4:23 pm
Level 27 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
I suspect this topic will be locked soon.
And btw any of yall ever heard of EQ?
04/19/2014 5:24 pm
papuang
Why would it be locked and no I haven't heard of EQ.
04/19/2014 6:38 pm
ChileanMiner5
This is interesting. I guess your intelligence must be so vast that you don't need to exercise proper grammar usage.
04/19/2014 6:46 pm
papuang
I'm awfully sorry that I didn't put a question mark at the end of the sentence as I did not deem it necessary, nor did I foresee such a hatred-fuelled reaction. I could have separated the sentence and put a question mark on the first one, but I didn't. Sorry to have offended you.
04/19/2014 7:07 pm
ChileanMiner5
A hatred-fuelled reaction? I see not a shred of loathsomeness in my statement. You didn't forsee a hatred-fuelled reaction, because none was to be supplied. And if a question mark was not necessary, how did you know what I was referring to?
04/19/2014 5:42 pm
Level 27 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
Cause of all the hate.
And here is a nice little summary of EQ.
04/19/2014 4:17 pm
Level 29 : Expert Network
Oni__
I feel the idea of classing intelligence as a number is preposterous. If someone takes a test and get a high number then woop de doo for them. The thing is I don't care if you get a high number since that's all it is. A number. If you can take that number and prove to me it's validity then I will accept your intelligence.

Also let us remember, while people with a high natural intelligence may do well. Someone who practises and works hard every day will eventually outclass that natural talent if they don't work as hard. It's often the case that people will constantly try to ride through life using their natural ability and fall at the later hurdles.
04/19/2014 12:08 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Necromancer
creeperinmyhouse
I absolutely hate the idea of IQ tests because it try's to measure a persons intelligence. But can an IQ test measure a persons wisdom? a persons judgement? a persons feelings? a persons will power? no it can't. I think IQ tests are just outrageous. I do not know my IQ and i do not want to know it because it is at its core faulty. No matter how high or how low you got on that test, it is wrong. Also a side note, knowledge is useless without good wisdom.
04/19/2014 11:20 am
Level 35 : Artisan Demolitionist
Team Xplosion
I got 134, then I took it again and got 142.
04/18/2014 6:37 pm
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
To post my score, or not to post my score.... Let's just say I scored amazingly, without the markups that I can opt for, due to me being "not mentally norm". The scores can vary immensely. One of my best friends is Dyslexic, she took the written test, and scored very well, though not 1%. But one of the testing coordinators in our state called her asking if she had been diagnosed with Dyslexia, because they could tell she had it from her results. They begged her(literally, they paid for her to come in) and take it again, but an oral version. She scored in the 1.1%tile.
The score isn't everything though.
Yes, it is a wonderful judge of intelligence aptitude, but only to a point. Congratulations OP, and those of you who Truly scored well. You should be proud.
To the others, who haven't taken it, or who have taken it and didn't score well:
Lucky You. You can probably draw, or write, or sing, or play an instrument much better than others. You have a talent. Trust me, It's much easier to talk about arts than intelligence. People can be very stuck up.
04/18/2014 8:30 pm
papuang
Thank you very much. I am proud but I am really am not bragging. I was really just interested to see if anyone was in Mensa.
04/18/2014 6:08 pm
WritingIsFun
omg y the hate.

He was really just asking if people were in Mensa.
He wasn't bragging.
IT
WAS
A
QUESTION.

Now I feel better. But srsly guys dont be so butthurt that someone says something you don't like.
04/18/2014 6:07 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
nikotheninga
I still don't understand
04/18/2014 6:04 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
nikotheninga
wait what?
04/18/2014 6:02 pm
PrototypeTheta
I have all the brainsmarts.

Bow before me unintelligent mortals.
04/18/2014 2:39 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Answer
TheViridian
Swimmer1929
FoxsongLast time I took an official IQ test, the only results I can remember were that they said I scored higher than 99% of the rest of the country and that was the end of it.
But I've never heard of this Mensa nor do I really care to find out more if it's basically just more people like this with a superiority complex.

Being intelligent does not necessarily mean or make you smart.

Knowledge Wisdom and Intelligence are all different and necessary for a person to be mentally fit person rather than just talented or gifted. Without all three, you can still end up a huge idiot or just a nuisance.

One sign of wisdom would be knowing to not publicly brag about how intelligent you are. If you actually made that score than you rightfully should be proud of yourself, but having the sense to not try to show it off publicly might be something to work on.
What were you expecting? To see walls of people saying they have a lower intelligence than you? I think we all know there's only one other way this thread would have played out besides how it is now. If you didn't realize it before now, think more now before posting next time.

How ironic. You just stated that your IQ is higher than 99% of others yet you typed two paragraphs about how you shouldn't brag about your intelligence.

Stating your IQ according to a test is quite different from bragging about it, don't you think?
04/18/2014 2:20 pm
Level 40 : Master Taco
Swimmer1929
Funny how nearly everyone on this thread has said that they are in the top 1%... seems kind of fishy to me...
FoxsongLast time I took an official IQ test, the only results I can remember were that they said I scored higher than 99% of the rest of the country and that was the end of it.
But I've never heard of this Mensa nor do I really care to find out more if it's basically just more people like this with a superiority complex.

Being intelligent does not necessarily mean or make you smart.

Knowledge Wisdom and Intelligence are all different and necessary for a person to be mentally fit person rather than just talented or gifted. Without all three, you can still end up a huge idiot or just a nuisance.

One sign of wisdom would be knowing to not publicly brag about how intelligent you are. If you actually made that score than you rightfully should be proud of yourself, but having the sense to not try to show it off publicly might be something to work on.
What were you expecting? To see walls of people saying they have a lower intelligence than you? I think we all know there's only one other way this thread would have played out besides how it is now. If you didn't realize it before now, think more now before posting next time.

How ironic. You just stated that your IQ is higher than 99% of others yet you typed two paragraphs about how you shouldn't brag about your intelligence.
04/18/2014 2:14 pm
Level 40 : Master Geek
Ping0pong
I HAZ IQ OF 1000,7245 SQUARED BY PI. CAN I BE IN TEH SMARTZ GROOP. TANK YOU. On a serious note, why does it matter? Intelligence isn't going to get you anywhere in life. Your actions are.
04/18/2014 2:00 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Demolitionist
Apimil
This kind of discussion is just hilarious. I always found funny that every single person who talk about his IQ is part of the 1%. It's not what you would expect, statistically, is it ?

Plus yeah, I find that having a test to measure your intelligence is quite ridiculous in a time when we can't even come with a definition of what intelligence really is. Plus, this kind of test compares your intelligence with the intelligence of the person who made this test, as he can only know how his intelligence works.
Online test are even more ridiculous. You don't have an IQ test by filling surveys and sending papers, you have to go to 3 appointements with your psychologist for the work to be done. Believing that you are part of some kind of brainiacs society because you got 170 in an online IQ test is just beyond ridiculous.

Plus having a high IQ score doesn't means that you are some kind of superior being. You are just an inadapted, because everything that has been made in the society (mainly education) for normal people. You CAN have an IQ of 142 and double two classes, just as I did. The only person I met who had more than 155 was my ex girlfriend, and she had also antisocial behaviour disorders. She was completeley antisocial, terribly intelligent, but completely insane.

That's what I can tell about this subject, please don't mind my grammar.
04/18/2014 1:18 pm
Oni__
Just a second comment, don't IQ tests generally give younger people higher scores because of a less strict mark scheme? Just something I read and wanted to confirm before considering how incredible scores people give are.
04/18/2014 9:22 am
Level 76 : Legendary Snark
Aximili
When I was 8, I scored 175 on an IQ test from a professional psychologist.
04/18/2014 9:58 am
papuang
That's really good to! Have you ever thought about joining?
04/18/2014 9:11 am
Level 1 : New Network
PcHelp
My IQ was 176 on Mensa, pretty proud. (Im 13)
04/18/2014 9:56 am
papuang
That's really good! You know they estimate Einstein had an IQ of 160-180.
04/18/2014 4:18 am
PrototypeTheta
138, but that was a slightly different test.

Then did it again and got 118

They decided to base all my grade predictions on the last one, screwing me over massively. So they can actually make a difference, especially in making A-level predictions, they use tests like iQ tests to do that. Which is annoying as that's what university offers are based on.
04/18/2014 4:04 am
Oni__
I went to take some Mensa IQ test that I found online. Then I saw that it would still cost me £5 to get results. Why the hell would you care that much? Seems like a waste of money to me, in the end employers aren't going to care all that much as long as I have good qualifications.
04/18/2014 8:18 am
papuang
Because intelligence is my only skill. I have low self esteem and no self confidence so I needed to prove to myself, and not to anyone else, that I was actually intelligent so I had something to show for myself. In the same way that skilled programmers could show you something they had programmed, and graphic designers could show you some of their art, I want to be able to prove my intelligence because otherwise it's just a hollow statement.
04/18/2014 10:46 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Dguy
You don't need to prove anything to anybody, not even yourself. You are a person, with opinions and ideas, not a living self-torture device designed to make yourself feel bad. If you really have these problems, fix them instead of avoiding them. Proving your good at one thing doesn't erase your lack in something else. Go outside and learn from experience.
04/19/2014 11:16 am
papuang
I already see a counsellor about that and anxiety, but if I ever want to stand out from the crowd and prove to whoever I'm talking to that I am intelligent, it helps, whereas if someone else said "i am clevur", there would be no proof.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome