Microphone Help

53MP3RF1's Avatar 53MP3RF11/27/15 9:40 pm
2/1/2015 2:27 am
codyayates's Avatar codyayates
Hello everyone! I've recently delved into the peripherals market, first upgrading my keyboard (Kailh Blues unfortunately, however - didn't know too much about keyboards at the time), then my mouse (Steelseries Sensei RAW), and then my headphones (HD 650s!). The last thing I'm looking towards upgrading is my microphone. I'm using the microphone of a webcam at the moment, and although that microphone isn't the worst in the world, I'd like to sound a bit better.

I'd like to get some sort of a studio microphone (such as the Shure PG48), but then my dilemma comes with achieving the correct stand for it - do I want a desktop stand that rests between my arms while I type or some sort of a boom stand? My budget in total is around $100 for both a microphone and a stand (if necessary), and I'm open to other suggestions as well (however, keep in mind it must be a standalone microphone rather than a headset or webcam). I'd like to get a cardioid or a microphone with a more directional polar pattern, as the Kailh Blue keys in my keyboard are quite loud and I don't want to annoy anyone too much when I speak with click-clacks. As a side-note, I have considered the ModMic but in the end I don't think I'd be able to get used to a mic sitting across my face, and in general I don't like the idea of looking like I'm wearing a headset. I want the mic to be able to withstand a lot of occasional use, but also be able to handle "studio-quality" recordings (I'm an amateur singer, and I might start singing online)

Please weigh in all of you who do professional audio work, or who know a lot about microphones and such. Also, as a side note, besides going the XLR-to-USB-converter route, are there devices that will accept XLR? Are there motherboards or PCI-E adapters that will accept XLR? I'm not quite sure how the format works or how it is supposed to be, but if there is some port I can plug it into in a motherboard (I intend to switch out some parts in my PC later on this year) or a PCI-E adapter for it please say so!
53MP3RF1
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/01/2015 2:27 am
Level 21 : Expert Zombie
codyayates
So you want a studio microphone? Listen to everyone when I say, GET A FREAKING AT2020. They are amazing for the price. If you have a deep voice, consider getting a MXL 900, youll sound very good.
01/28/2015 7:26 pm
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
I have a question about the Audio Technica AT2020 USB microphone -

On the audio technica website (http://goo.gl/n7OC9), it says the microphone is $229 yet,
on Amazon (http://goo.gl/qRKq09), it says it is only $149. These products are the same though? Why is the price different?
01/28/2015 7:55 pm
53MP3RF1
Probably the fact that $229 is the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) and that Amazon is selling it for $149. Manufacturers dictate what they suggest the retail price to be, but that is usually taken as a guideline and can be increased or decreased depending on the retailer.
01/28/2015 7:21 pm
53MP3RF1
CheesyRice
zute6
I currently have Blue Yeti which is better quality then the AT2020 but it's heavy and won't work with a stand so i suggest.

The neewer stand there holds up my yeti perfectly fine, it never moves around on its own or falls downwards.

53 I like the neewer stand, even though i don't have any use for the xlr cable. If you want a desk mounted stand I could recommend it.

Thank you! That answered my question.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I can go the XLR route anymore. I looked online, and there was this Audio Interface that accepted XLR - pricy, right? I then looked in general for audio interfaces (seeing as I only need one), and I found this cable. Will that work instead?

EpicDinosaurzA good entry level microphone for recording or even just talking to friends is the Blue Snowball. Cheap, ($60) yet brilliant sound quality.

I've owned one myself before upgrading to the Blue Yeti and I would highly recommend a Snowball.

I'd prefer not to get a Blue microphone, as I've heard that they're not as good as possible for the price, and they don't look aesthetically pleasing (to my eye, at least). They're also pretty bulky and I feel like mounting a Blue Snowball on a desk would pick up the little vibrations of my keyboard and tapping the desk itself.

Official-jedimartin
You need a pop filter, but putting a sock over the mic works as well as any pop filter.

NEVER SPEND MORE THEN $15 ON A POP FILTER

Alright, so I do need a pop filter. Thank you, I will get one (probably the one I linked). I'd prefer not to go the sock route just because it'd look (and would probably be) stupid to put a sock over a $100 microphone.
01/28/2015 6:56 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Engineer
AlliumPrison
A good entry level microphone for recording or even just talking to friends is the Blue Snowball. Cheap, ($60) yet brilliant sound quality.

I've owned one myself before upgrading to the Blue Yeti and I would highly recommend a Snowball.
01/28/2015 6:49 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Taco
Rice
zute6
I currently have Blue Yeti which is better quality then the AT2020 but it's heavy and won't work with a stand so i suggest.

The neewer stand there holds up my yeti perfectly fine, it never moves around on its own or falls downwards.

53 I like the neewer stand, even though i don't have any use for the xlr cable. If you want a desk mounted stand I could recommend it.
01/28/2015 8:10 am
Level 23 : Expert Toast
zute6
Save up for a good mic. Getting a mic like the Shure will be a waste in about a few months unless your only recording your guitar (STRICKLY).
Buy the at2020 (If your singing and guitar or either one or voice) and get a stand and a shockmount if wanted. That'd cost you 320 all up but it's worth it.
If your going proffesional i suggest at2035 but you'll need phantom power so that'd come to 5050.

If you want a good one that's how you go.
Cheap wise. Blue Snowball 75$ or Blue Nessie. 100$

If your going to sign like you say get the at2020. (Same as most casual youtubers)
At2035 (Pews , Markiplier all dem boys
01/28/2015 6:04 pm
53MP3RF1
I think I'll hold off from the AT2035, as I'm really a casual player and I should be fine with the 2020, but that is why I was asking about the Neewer stand as it would be mounted to my desk and it has a built-in shock absorber - my question still stands, however: will the fact it is mounted on the desk make it pick up the little jitters etc. from keyboard noise or desk tapping?

Also, I was wondering if this would serve as a good pop filter, or if I need one in the first place.

This would bring my total costs to $144.59, so I'm wondering if I need the pop filter.
01/28/2015 6:08 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
You need a pop filter, but putting a sock over the mic works as well as any pop filter.

NEVER SPEND MORE THEN $15 ON A POP FILTER
01/27/2015 10:12 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
DrStrad
If you get a microphone do not get a desk mounted/placed form, it will pick up noise from your keyboard or any taps on the desk.

Get a microphone arm stand and a professional microphone like the AT2020 or similar.
01/28/2015 6:07 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
Incorrect, mount it to the desk using vibration reduction pads.
01/28/2015 7:30 am
53MP3RF1
Alright, thanks.

I was thinking about expanding my budget a little bit so I can get the AT2020, and I was wondering if I could get away with a stand like this one, or if I have to buy a floor-mounted stand. I like that one because it comes with a shock absorber as well as a built-in adapter cord. However, I'm still not sure where I'm supposed to plug in the XLR cord - do I need to buy an XLR-USB adapter or can I find a port to plug it into somewhere?
01/27/2015 10:01 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger
Slimecraft101
I would suggest getting a mic that already has a built-in stand.
Examples; Samsung Meteor Mic, Blue Yeti

I am not sure if that is the kind of mic you're looking for, but I hope this helped anyways!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome