Is Minecraft better or worse due to Microsoft?

Goucher's Avatar Goucher2/11/16 9:21 am
2/16/2016 1:03 pm
rosedragon's Avatar rosedragon
I've been talking recently with close friends and we all have our own opinion to the question: Is Minecraft run better now that Mojang was bought by Microsoft or was it better when it ran as an independent?

Personally I enjoyed Minecraft better when it ran independently from Microsoft. It felt more of an open community between players, modders, plugin developers and the Mojang Staff. Though yes it still does now, but its just the same as it used to be especially the divide between players and mod/plugin developers.
Goucher
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/16/2016 1:03 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Dragon
rosedragon
It is better. After microsoft acquire minecraft, we see minecraft spread into other gadgets outside PC and it really brings more people to enjoy the game.

Then there also the upcoming minecraft VR thing from last demo where you can see the world on a table and manipulate it with gestures.
02/16/2016 12:10 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Microsoft has remained very hands-off in terms of development. Like Halo, they wanted to own the IP (intellectual property) for revenue generation through game sales and merchandise as well as being able to develop their own side projects like Minecraft for Windows 10 and HoloLens.
02/16/2016 10:59 am
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
Bertiecrafter
Ok, time to meddle in.
First off, everyone started to see normal mc as boring. So they changed it probs, because the community wanted it. The only thing that could be bad is the new pvp system. But it gives opportunities to get more skills, instead of the childish spam clicking while shouting HAX and doing a fancy dance.

1.9 Does add more good than questionable bad features. And if the auto click using kids don't like Minecraft anymore, they can leave...

Mojang won't change their ideas, now it's almost done. I think most of you haters will think it's not that bad in the end. Besides, if you really want to mean something, go to server forums and annoy them to stay on 1.8. They will listen to you more than mojang does to this thread. It's useless to reply to this, stop wasting your time!
02/16/2016 5:26 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Dragon
brostermedia
Ivain
brostermedia
IvainFor those crying about the new pvp system still, remember it is possible for server owners to turn it off so it remains old PvP. so I really don't see the problem.

that it's possible doesn't mean that they are going to. i see hypixel turning it off but some faction servers might not

So you won't be able to PvP the way you like on every factions server out there? that's such a HUUUUUUUUGE loss! Especially since Factions servers are quite rare nowadars.

(proceeds to drown in sarcasm)

i never said i liked factions but the problem is that switching between combat tyoes between servers is very annoying
02/16/2016 5:15 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
Eh, people will complain *shrugs*. I don't think the update is really as bad as people are making it out to be. I think if anything 1.9 walks through the new doors that has been opened to them, especially with the combat update. Having a shield not only feels more logical in the game but also takes away the mindlessness of spam clicking PvP, which is something that I much prefer.
02/14/2016 5:29 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
WokenWisp
brostermediadid we need a new combat system?

Yes we did.

brostermediadid they have to remove blocking?

They didn't.

brostermedia did they have to change the boat controls?

They didn't.

I think the changes are pretty good.
02/14/2016 5:14 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
So guys, the basic conclusion is that OP will hate the 1.9 update no matter what we say or what is changed. Meaning we're all wasting our time here, since this is not really a discussion. OP's opinion will not be changed or even influenced no matter how many facts and arguments we throw against it.

Very true.
02/14/2016 4:19 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
So guys, the basic conclusion is that OP will hate the 1.9 update no matter what we say or what is changed. Meaning we're all wasting our time here, since this is not really a discussion. OP's opinion will not be changed or even influenced no matter how many facts and arguments we throw against it.
I for one am out of here.
02/14/2016 2:23 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
GoucherI've been talking recently with close friends and we all have our own opinion to the question: Is Minecraft run better now that Mojang was bought by Microsoft or was it better when it ran as an independent?

Personally I enjoyed Minecraft better when it ran independently from Microsoft. It felt more of an open community between players, modders, plugin developers and the Mojang Staff. Though yes it still does now, but its just the same as it used to be especially the divide between players and mod/plugin developers.

wait... minecraft wasnt bought by micrapsoft mojang itself was? k minecrafts still be k as long as mojangs more control of it... but add the "Happy Birthday, Notch!" splash back he created it in first place... someone needs to make a resource pack where the splash text looks like its sprayed out of F.L.U.D.D. aka Fludd from super mario sunshine... meh minecrafts still awesome but why be take a v year (beta 1.7 to release 1.7 sortof) for pistons to bounce sand? meh minecraft... must blow that tree up with my 756 tnt in overkill mode... can u blow up tnt? aka not ignite it to explode but like aactually destroy it with another explosion ima go test it k?
02/14/2016 11:48 am
Level 23 : Expert Nerd
likn
Luis
TumblrFoxMojang has never released an update that huge.

I know you joined in 2013, but you have no idea how big the beta updates where, they added a hell of a lot more than 1.9, and I can assure you, people were complaining about about them back then as well

Yes, I know the beta updates were huge, but I'm really talking about official Minecraft versions, rather then alpha/beta stages.

Also, did you read the rest of my post? Yes, they may have released beta updates that were bigger but they haven't released an update like 1.9 in probably years.
02/14/2016 11:46 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
02/14/2016 11:49 am
likn
But they didn't release hundreds of new items and added a second hand.
02/14/2016 11:41 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
Luisyou have no idea how big the beta updates where

I joined in 2013.. and I know how big they were.. like, the jump from beta 1.7.3 to beta 1.8 was huge... and then the jump from beta 1.8 to the prerelease of 1.9, directly to 1.0 was also moderately large.... since it was an official release
02/14/2016 11:22 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pokemon
Luis
TumblrFoxMojang has never released an update that huge.

I know you joined in 2013, but you have no idea how big the beta updates where, they added a hell of a lot more than 1.9, and I can assure you, people were complaining about about them back then as well
02/14/2016 9:30 am
likn
It might just be me, but it feels like Mojang is different. Like, they would obviously not have Minecraft: Windows 10 edition. Before Microsoft bought Mojang, they wanted Mojang to put Minecraft in the Windows 8 store. Notch refused.

Also, I honestly don't think they would have that horrible 1.9 version coming out, either. I don't like how it feels like I'm using 10 mods when I play the snapshots. I liked the Minecraft that had most real life items with just a few items that don't actually exist. Now, it feels like there are more items that don't actually exist than there are "real" items.
02/14/2016 7:58 am
Ivain
For those crying about the new pvp system still, remember it is possible for server owners to turn it off so it remains old PvP. so I really don't see the problem.
02/14/2016 8:27 am
brostermedia
that it's possible doesn't mean that they are going to. i see hypixel turning it off but some faction servers might not
02/14/2016 4:17 pm
Ivain
So you won't be able to PvP the way you like on every factions server out there? that's such a HUUUUUUUUGE loss! Especially since Factions servers are quite rare nowadays.

(proceeds to drown in sarcasm)
02/14/2016 7:33 am
brostermedia
avrona
i'd rather spam click than click *wait 1.6 seconds*

Then I guess you don't skill in PVP.

it's the same as in mmorpg games. there are the ones where you click once and occasionally have to click a skill (which are boring) and there are the ones where you actually have to dodge yourself and have to use normal attacks and skills all the time
02/14/2016 7:17 am
avrona
i had to use the a and d key to controll them

Try the newest snapshot before raging.

i'd rather spam click than click *wait 1.6 seconds*

Then I guess you don't like skill in PVP.
02/14/2016 7:15 am
brostermedia
avrona

did we need a new combat system? no the one we had was fine.

How? People could just spam click victory.

did they have to remove blocking?

They didn't. They just put it into awesome shields.

did they have to change the boat controls?

??? They didn't. All they did is added a new ingredient to the recipe. Have you even tried any of the snapshots?

and there is a lot more they didn't have to change

Wow, what's wrong? Why on earth are you praising the older versions so much?

i have tried to use the new boats. i had to use the a and d key to controll them. i'd rather spam click than click *wait 1.6 seconds* click again. the shields can break and still take up the offhand slot meaning you need resources to block now. and i'm not praising older versions i am just pointing out stuff they didn't have to change
02/14/2016 6:08 am
Luis
And even if they have you can still play older versions
02/14/2016 6:04 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Rilene
I think Microsoft hasn't made any notable changes since ownership transfer.
02/14/2016 5:53 am
Level 28 : Expert Pixel Painter
PixelFrosty
I honestly have no idea,they plan on having a version of the game specificly for the soon or is already out "Hollow Viewer"
02/14/2016 5:50 am
avrona
Has Microsoft even done anything yet? I don't think they've touched it.

Exactly.
02/14/2016 5:49 am
avrona

did we need a new combat system? no the one we had was fine.

How? People could just spam click victory.

did they have to remove blocking?

They didn't. They just put it into awesome shields.

did they have to change the boat controls?

??? They didn't. All they did is added a new ingredient to the recipe. Have you even tried any of the snapshots?

and there is a lot more they didn't have to change

Wow, what's wrong? Why on earth are you praising the older versions so much?
02/14/2016 5:39 am
brostermedia
avrona
avrona wrote:
Rip Minecraft classic.

And hello worse MC.

fixed it for you

Or rather the opposite.

did we need a new combat system? no the one we had was fine. did they have to remove blocking? no it was fine. did they have to change the boat controls? no it was fine. and there is a lot more they didn't have to change
02/14/2016 5:38 am
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Senpai
GrayRemnant
Has Microsoft even done anything yet? I don't think they've touched it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
02/14/2016 9:16 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
Strenjiq_
Have y'all not seen the snapshots that Microsoft has been chunking out?
They even have a 1.9 pre-release. It's so close.
02/14/2016 9:19 am
Luis
Yes but have they actually interfered with the creation of it or do they let Mojang go along with whatever they want?
02/14/2016 5:12 am
Luis
brostermediait fells like microsoft just want to get fast money

Yes, that is usually the point of a corporation, and I hate to break it to you, but making the most money, in the shortest amount of time was also Mojang's goal
02/14/2016 5:10 am
avrona
avrona wrote:
Rip Minecraft classic.

And hello worse MC.

fixed it for you

Or rather the opposite.
02/14/2016 5:03 am
Luis
I can't say I play a lot of Minecraft anymore, but I haven't really seen any difference or really, any Microsoft interference with the goings on of Minecraft, it's developers, it's content or anything aside from a small part of the fanbase who hate Microsoft, for... Reasons?.. Can anyone here tell me what has changed? And if it's about servers or any of that junk, remember that Mojang wasn't exactly lenient with it's fanbase before the buyout either
02/14/2016 5:10 am
brostermedia
it's not that i hate microsoft but it's rather that most "updates" like all the 1.7 and 1.8 due to there being so many bug fixes. it fells like microsoft just want to get fast money
02/14/2016 5:01 am
brostermedia
avrona
Rip Minecraft classic.

And hello worse MC.

fixed it for you
02/14/2016 12:37 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Mojang has a Twitter so if you want to here what the employees say, just gl browse their tweets
02/14/2016 12:32 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Authentic-OrangeDear god you kids are cancerous.
If you've realized by now that you think that Microsoft is shit, which it isnt, it has brought a HUGE gain in fixing the game in which it wasnt going to be if it wasnt sold to Microsoft.
Microsoft has money, they have people they hire to work on the game, Mojang was a small team which started out with Dung Ruby, and clearly Markus Persson couldnt manage the game anymore.
And if your 12 year old mind didnt notice, they have fixed a SHIT load of bugs, TONS of it, AND the game is still getting stuff added, AND teamed up with TallTale games to get a story mode, AND brought the game to new systems like Wii U, AND brought the pocket edition lots of PC content. Because lets be honest here, if you wanted to play classic crap minecraft, you should have updated your pocket edition.

Hello, I am here you explain to your tiny, tiny brain a few things about reality, manners, and maturity. First, excessive use of profound language does not help your point, it makes it look weeker and more of a harassment than anything else. Micros:oft has almost no effect on the gameplay of Minecraft, and since they have bought the game, I have noticed way more bugs. Notice 1.7.10 is much cleaner than bug filled 1.8+. Whether that actually has anything to do with Microsoft, I don't know. Either way, you are wrong, so don't even bother replying. lol
02/13/2016 10:24 pm
Level 82 : Elite Fox
CraftyFoxe
Rip Minecraft classic.
02/14/2016 4:32 am
avrona
And hello better MC.
02/13/2016 4:26 am
avrona
Nothing really changed. 1.9 is still Mojang's and it's awesome. MC has come out on Wii U so it busts the myth MC will remain on Microsoft's systems only. And everything else just seems like MC is just heading into more and more glory, just like before.
02/12/2016 9:03 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
jupalt
jens also still working on the game minecraft notch left minecraft office
02/12/2016 8:15 pm
Level 25 : Expert Zombie
Halorules555
It seems that Microsoft is just in it for the revenue. They are not affecting the game development. So unless you hate Microsoft, It is neither a good thing nor a bad thing.
02/12/2016 6:57 pm
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher
robomwm
If any of you are curious as to how the Mojang team will run under Microsoft, just look at Skype.

In other words, Microsoft will hardly do anything to them and they'll be able to continue to run much like as if they were their own company still.
02/12/2016 6:18 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
Vancedfreakshow
I say that no minecraft is not worse they added a new boss aka guardians and elder guardians And in the new version there's a new dimension named by fans "ender city" it's like the end and a infinite nether castle combined with a new mob called a cluster that shoots "balls" at u that make u FLOAT yes I said FLOAT and u might think that's fun but most of the time the levitation runs out and u die by fall damage AND the inpact of the "balls" hurt but mind this is in the new version for PC
02/12/2016 6:31 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
gebniow
everyone knows that AND the end city is just a place in the end far away AND the "cluster" is called a Shulker AND microsoft doesn't add anything, mojang does.
02/12/2016 2:21 pm
Level 42 : Master Necromancer
candle_
Microsoft didn't and doesn't have a ton of impact on it's development, from what I know, but I feel like Mojang is making the game go downhill. The recent updates and snapshots are just... please no.
02/11/2016 7:24 pm
Level 1 : New Engineer
RoboMeister
I have to say it's better. I am hyped for 1.9!
02/11/2016 6:57 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Toast
DaSquyd
I don't understand… What exactly has Microsoft done that has affected the game in any way?
02/14/2016 10:42 am
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
Literally nothing. But people who joined in 1.8 want to feel like they're part of the old-time community by complaining that the game has changed.

Edit: To clarify on "literally nothing" I mean that Minecraft isn't changing at any different rate than it did when Mojang was an independent group. I've been around for a LONG time. The game isn't changing any more significantly or at a different rate than it used to.
02/14/2016 11:12 am
likn
That's not true at all lol. I am saying that I hate 1.9 and I gave legitimate reasons why. I don't think Notch would have added those items and I personally don't like them. And the game is significantly changing due to the fact that it went to now using 2 hands, having hundreds of new items, and The End changing. That's a very big difference. Mojang has never released an update that huge.

Microsoft also added Minecraft Windows 10 edition beta (which really makes no sense)

Also, I joined Minecraft in 2013. I didn't join in 1.8...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome