MineCraft 1.9+ Combat

CaptainEvstike's Avatar CaptainEvstike1/21/17 8:57 am
1 emeralds 1.7k 38
2/1/2017 10:27 am
CaptainEvstike's Avatar CaptainEvstike
So first off, many people loved and hated the 1.9 update. They hated it because hackers couldn't spam attacks, looting was reworked, attack cooldown and enchantments being nerfed and weapon damage reworked. People loved it because it brought in many new goals in the end, fixed attack spamming, added more arrows, brought in purpur and other blocks found in the end.
I personally like 1.9, but a lot of plugins stopped working due to changes in the system.
If you have any ideas that could fix combat, make it better, change it, add to it, or anything 1.9+ combat related, reply with your ideas. "I want 1.8 combat back!" is not a valid answer.
Thanks
CaptainEvstike
Level 16 : Journeyman Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/01/2017 10:27 am
CaptainEvstike
bump
01/31/2017 7:46 pm
CaptainEvstike
bump
01/30/2017 7:10 pm
CaptainEvstike
So much discussion wow
01/30/2017 4:30 pm
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
LeeTheENTPBefore the Combat Update, Minecraft combat was the laughing stock of the gaming community. Sure, it required some skill to master, but it lacked depth. For a long while, though, its simplistic style was all that was necessary.

the simplistic fight style was exactly right for young players that just want to keep hitting each other, and no hassle to deal with for players that don"t like the pvp side of servers anyways and only tangentially engage in mob fights, so the time is free for exploring, building and other stuff

additionally i don"t like the way they broke boats, with response to the view direction and inertia now missing, the former making them unusable for racing, but for some reason they are now superfast on ice, this destroying the balance of cost vs use towards minecarts, making those obsolete
01/30/2017 1:52 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
A gamerule that reverts back to the old combat system would not divide the community more, nor would it bring unity. The community would remain as divided as it currently is, because it doesn't change the state of the situation. In fact, the only thing it would do is get everybody playing the newer versions of Minecraft.

That being said, I wholeheartedly believe that the stubborn players who refuse to update should accommodate themselves with the new combat system. It's here to stay, and it's objectively better for what they want to do (PvP).
01/30/2017 11:54 am
Level 45 : Master Ranger
Greystalk
Lachie1770Since Ren3DM already stated Good facts so I arent gonna go into much detail since theres no Need. So Ill Just point out what I felt is needed.

Greystalk
When will people understand, a "simple" gamerule will not make it better. Besides the fact that cooldowns are attributes, a gamerule will divide the community even more, make it harder for new players to figure out the game, and unbalance the other aspects of combat, such as armor, golden apples, shields, axes, etc.

Again, How? If anything it will fix the community.... Alot of people also want this, It will Not "divide" anymore then what 1.9 did already.

Greystalk
Sorry for the rant, it's really starting to annoy me when people say a gamerule will "fix" everything.

Bruh are you triggered?

See my above post.
01/30/2017 11:52 am
Greystalk
Ren3DM
When will people understand, a "simple" gamerule will not make it better. Besides the fact that cooldowns are attributes, a gamerule will divide the community even more,

How?

make it harder for new players to figure out the game, and unbalance the other aspects of combat, such as armor, golden apples, shields, axes, etc.

How? Most servers use the 1.8 and below pvp system. It won't be harder for new players to figure out the game.

Besides, it's not that hard to disable it with command blocks. A command block noob could do it by simply setting up a few command blocks giving the player haste when they're holding a sword. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube.

That's more work on the players end and you would not be able to use command blocks in single-player if you want to make your game pure survival. No cheats. And, using haste would make you think that speed of fighting is normal but when you go onto a server and pvp it will be slower.

I was thinking smaller/private servers mostly. If it's that simple to change the combat, I can see people fighting over which style to use. Maybe that wasn't the best argument but let me continue.

Also, I see you decided to ignore my points about the cooldowns being attributes and rebalancing the other aspects of combat. Still waiting for an answer.

Your second point has to do with singleplayer. Gamerules are not meant to completely change how the game is played. All of the current gamerules mostly affect adventure map makers. And before you say a combat gamerule would be better for adventure map makers, I would say that if they want to change the combat, then just use command blocks. That's what command blocks are for anyway.

Your last point doesn't even logically make sense. You need cheats in order to change a gamerule too. I don't see what the difference is between changing a gamerule and setting up a few command blocks. A gamerule would be a little faster sure, but it's not like the command block option takes that much longer. And again, If you want to change how the game is played, that's what command blocks are for.

To conclude, if you prefer 1.8 combat better, then I respect that. My only point is that a gamerule just won't work. There are still plenty of ways to get around the new combat if you don't like it.
01/29/2017 3:21 am
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
Before the Combat Update, Minecraft combat was the laughing stock of the gaming community. Sure, it required some skill to master, but it lacked depth. For a long while, though, its simplistic style was all that was necessary. Its original intent was to let players fight monsters, which doesn't require sophistication or a learning curve.

1.9 added additional layers of complexity and steepened the learning curve. This made it more competitive-oriented and geared for PvP, as opposed to the simplistic PvE-focused style of the old mechanics. Overall, it was a welcome change to a fighting system that was falling behind the times. It's a system that demands respect, and darn well deserves it.
01/29/2017 3:08 am
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Since Ren3DM already stated Good facts so I arent gonna go into much detail since theres no Need. So Ill Just point out what I felt is needed.

Greystalk
When will people understand, a "simple" gamerule will not make it better. Besides the fact that cooldowns are attributes, a gamerule will divide the community even more, make it harder for new players to figure out the game, and unbalance the other aspects of combat, such as armor, golden apples, shields, axes, etc.

Again, How? If anything it will fix the community.... Alot of people also want this, It will Not "divide" anymore then what 1.9 did already.

Greystalk
Sorry for the rant, it's really starting to annoy me when people say a gamerule will "fix" everything.

Bruh are you triggered?
01/28/2017 11:53 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Farmer
AdamStormCloak
Basically, pvp from 1.8 to 1.9 went from, spam clicking and accuracy to timing it exactly for max damage, but not too late so other person gets timing advantage.

but 1.9 made mobs 10x easier to kill for me atleast
01/28/2017 11:42 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
When will people understand, a "simple" gamerule will not make it better. Besides the fact that cooldowns are attributes, a gamerule will divide the community even more,

How?

make it harder for new players to figure out the game, and unbalance the other aspects of combat, such as armor, golden apples, shields, axes, etc.

How? Most servers use the 1.8 and below pvp system. It won't be harder for new players to figure out the game.

Besides, it's not that hard to disable it with command blocks. A command block noob could do it by simply setting up a few command blocks giving the player haste when they're holding a sword. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube.

That's more work on the players end and you would not be able to use command blocks in single-player if you want to make your game pure survival. No cheats. And, using haste would make you think that speed of fighting is normal but when you go onto a server and pvp it will be slower.
01/28/2017 10:13 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
ICEThat
I prefer 1.9 combat overall. Games like Skywars are fun with both types of pvp.

Also I like op axes.
01/28/2017 2:55 pm
CaptainEvstike
I hope some things do get balanced out in combat, maybe sharpness 5 doing .5 more damage?
01/28/2017 2:58 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
That is not balanced. You wasted lots of XP for the sharpness 5 and it is luck. What would sharpness 1 do ? .1 more damage? The current sharpness damage increase is good.
01/28/2017 4:16 pm
CaptainEvstike
They nerfed it a lot. 5 used to give 13.25 dmg now it does 10
01/27/2017 5:53 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
Please don't "bump" more than once per day.
01/27/2017 6:55 pm
CaptainEvstike
Ok sorry, just got so bored then.
01/27/2017 5:35 pm
CaptainEvstike
bump
01/27/2017 4:35 pm
CaptainEvstike
bump
01/27/2017 3:11 pm
CaptainEvstike
I still see combat with not much strategy. I wish shields would have more use. They can be powerful if used right, but people don't even dare touch them (including me) because they don't see potential. For all of those people who think that enchantments are must haves, shields should have exclusive enchantments so people will enchant them with shield exclusive enchantments, for example (Barrier: Less damage from hordes, Block: Take less damage from mobs, Force: Push back attackers, etc...) It would give players a reason to invest their time in using shields.
I also think more main enchantments should be added like Ice Aspect, Wither, Glowing etc. It would give players more reason to enchant and use weapons and gear.
01/27/2017 2:11 am
Lachie1770
I will like 1.9 PVP when there's a way to completely disable it. Most older players that have been playing for ages don't like this sudden new "system" that is mostly a plugin and mod breaker.

The 1.9 Combat update was a waste, The combat was fine... The game was about building.. I guess they are starting to design updates for the PVP servers.. PVP wont get you far... been able to build good or make mods etc will...
01/27/2017 8:44 am
striker107
To your first part I don't agree with you, because I personally prefer the new system and I've been here for quite some time (not necessarily on this website, but in MC). I think that PVP and PVE have been getting quite boring for a pretty long time (with the old system), so when I heard about 1.9 combat I instantly created a snapshot profile (on the launcher) and created a new world (for my brother and I to play on the new PVP system), and I loved the new system exponentially more than I did the old system. Oh and one last thing, I prefer to go on single player (survival) worlds more than servers.

But I do agree that it's more for building (and exploration) than for fighting other players or mobs.

Edit: If I angered anyone by this it was not my intention, I was merely just stating my oppinion about something. And please I beg you not to start a flame war here, I don't want to try to cool down another.
01/28/2017 9:02 pm
Lachie1770
Well If you like it that's fine, They just need a way to disable it via a gamerule to be more accepted for the most of us, Alot of people have said they would be happy with a way to turn it off.

But If you like the new system or not its not really more "Skill based", as its only a cooldown with new shields, its kinda annoying rather then "more challenging" to be honest.
01/28/2017 10:06 pm
Greystalk

01/27/2017 2:02 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Modder
Chickens4Life
Not planning to start a war,
I aint a big pvp, tho i like to pvp here and there but being an old player i enjoy the old combat system more. I am slowly learning the new combat system just not as fast seeing as i play 1.7.10 modded but thats not the point. Sometimes when do i go on newer versions i just get confused when using the new combat system, But that just me or a couple poeple

So personally enjoyed the old combat more as im just more comfortable using that combat then the new one

Edit:
Though i think, and a few people might agree with me here, that the new combat should of been a gamerule or a setting thats changeable. I mean it suits all people then, The ones who like old combat and new
01/27/2017 12:40 am
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
Hmm.

I prefer 1.9 PvP easily. In my opinion, it's more strategy than before, and I absolutely LOVE how the new system works for PvE as well. Survival is a lot more fun with the new combat in my opinion, and slightly (not that much, unfortunately) more difficult.

However, I can also see why people like 1.8 PvP. It's a big change to a major (and a very popular) aspect of the game. There are definitely strategies to both 1.8 and 1.9 PvP, I just happen to like 1.9 better.

In 1.11, they made shields block 100% of melee damage, not just 100% of ranged damage anymore. I wish this was not the case tbh, as melee was a nice alternative to those who just never let down their shield. At the same time though, shields take more damage from melee hits now, and thus all you have to do is tear through their shield, so PvP battles are just a little more lengthy when facing noobs now. The other option would be use the axe to disable the shield, but still.
01/26/2017 7:36 pm
CaptainEvstike
bump
01/21/2017 4:04 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
you know honestly I used to hate the idea of a rpg feel in minecraft, buts its already that so might as well make it good.
I think level ups might be a good thing, maybe be able to level up damage and stuff? also more variety in weapons would be cool.
maybe spells? you maybe you can get spell books the same way you can enchant a book.
01/27/2017 12:31 am
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
Leveling up damage and stuff is like enchantments, let's be honest.

Spells are a hell no to me. Spells in Minecraft would be awful in my honest opinion.
01/21/2017 5:14 pm
CaptainEvstike
It isn't really becoming an RPG. It has no real quests and the abilities aren't that important. A lot of spam clicking and not much strategy in minecraft combat. I would like to see more enchantments though. Like for elytra, shield, hoe and more.
01/21/2017 5:25 pm
striker107
Ah ok, and yeah that would be cool
01/21/2017 12:31 pm
striker107
Yeah they do need more combat diversity, like for example: A bow with punch can disable a shield depending on the level will determine the durration.
Or: a shield bash, it would knock someone further back then normal and a new enchantment would increase the knockback (but you'd need to be blocking and then attack with the shield while still blocking).
01/21/2017 5:29 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
DragonBlaze__
Perfect! Why didn't I think of that!
01/21/2017 9:44 am
CaptainEvstike
bump
01/21/2017 9:24 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
YMbrothers
1. Oh come on, attack cooldown can easily be fixed with AttributeModifiers.
2. Who care about Looting enchant?
3. 1.9+ didn't nerf much? The only obvious ones are protection and sharpness.
4. Weapon damage? AttributeModifiers-,-

Can't you see how those big minigame servers make 1.8 compatible with 1.9+?
Those are complex code though -,-

Therefore... yes, you can still fix most of them.
01/21/2017 9:37 am
CaptainEvstike
I think combat is better now because people have to find alternatives than just sword strength. I never really knew the old system until after 1.9. I think there should be some different forms of combat thought, like different things in different areas, slower attack speed in water, slowness in icy areas.
01/21/2017 9:20 am
CaptainEvstike
striker107
CaptainEvstike"I want 1.8 combat back!" is not a valid answer.

This was my favorite part of what you just said.

LOL too many combat ragers these days.
01/21/2017 9:15 am
striker107
CaptainEvstike"I want 1.8 combat back!" is not a valid answer.

This was my favorite part of what you just said.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome