Minecraft is a game, NOT an investment.

CascadianX's Avatar CascadianX2/1/15 5:08 pm
1 emeralds 1.8k 80
2/7/2015 9:23 pm
CAMBO321's Avatar CAMBO321
Minecraft is a Game, not an investment.

Too many times, have I seen people tear the fun away from this game. Today, searching for staff members to be apart of an awesome server is a hard thing to find. Builders are always asking for ransom amounts of money. I don't know what they expect from a ton of people that are from the ages 12-17 paying for $90 builds.

I've been on the search for some builders recently, to help around and have a good time. Meeting some new people and building up a server a new server for a player base of 4,000 users. I am fully capable of doing the builds myself, but that gets tiring at times when doing it by myself. My team of 10 people have been on the search for builders for 48 hours now. You'll be surprised when they find out how much money they want for small simple house builds.

I've had builders ask for $350 to make a 100x100 square kingdom. $350? It is pocket change to me, but seriously. I declined that offer and was rushed with another at $90 for 50x50. This is getting ridiculous.

Minecraft is more of a community game now and days, You are meant to have fun and play around on multiplayer servers, or play in singleplayer. Show off your creations, but when you start to make people pay for your creations, which they could get anywhere else. You are just running this game even more. People like this have caused a lot of ridiculous changes to the game. Take an example the Mojang EULA change. People making this game a micro transaction game ruining the game even further. No one follows the EULA still to this day, even though they agree to it.

Then you get the people, who are 19-22 years old. Sitting here building a server with there small life savings, going way beyond a gaming environment trying to bring in the business world through a Minecraft server, for young adults and children. Enforcing poloicies and business procedures like it is some sort of office job to work for a Minecraft Server?

Yet again people. Minecraft is a game, NOT an investment.
CascadianX
Level 44 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/07/2015 9:23 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
CAMBO321
People spent lots of time on builds and on servers I don't think you will find anybody that will be willing to spend a week making something for you for free. If you want something good than exchanged them something or pay them or other wise good luck finding somebody that will spent their own time making something for free.
02/07/2015 9:18 pm
Level 26 : Expert Unicorn
Leeanne
I feel if you are good at building, like amazing, then charging a fee is fine. If it's something ridiculous like, for example, the 350$ as you mentioned, for something that is not that great, then I'm not a fan of that.

If you are good at it and people are willing to pay you though, I say go for it, I mean, it's not like you're the one asking for the money.

I don't know, I haven't seen too many scenarios about building for money so this is as much as an opinion as I have.
02/04/2015 10:06 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Artist
DuskRaine
I really agree. Why do you need money just to build on a VIDEO GAME? Why not just build for the fun of it?
02/07/2015 9:03 pm
CascadianX
Exactly what I am trying to aim for here. We all wither away our hours playing games anyways.
02/04/2015 7:35 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect
Xindigoh
If you still need a builder (not sure if you have gotten one yet lel ) i would be happy to help. i just need $10000000000000000 for a 4x4 plot please

naaaa, just joking.

PM me if you would like me to help
02/04/2015 7:00 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
deathcadence
That is a little ridiculous ill build my self before I pay that crazy amount.
02/04/2015 6:55 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
ChaseBubaxter
People take long times to build things. As you said "it gets tiring at times" and so paying makes sense. All though some of the prices you said sound ludicrous.
02/02/2015 10:00 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin

Nuff said.
02/02/2015 8:10 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Dolphin
Patchpen
Step 1: Make a quality server.

Step 2: Use a donation plugin.

Step 3: Put a sign or a MoTD that says "Donations go towards making us a better lobby."

Step 4: Someone random says "Pfft, I could make you an awesome lobby for free."

Step 5: Let him.

Maybe this wouldn't work, but it's how I picture this situation going in my head.
02/02/2015 4:02 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
illuminati128k
I completely agree with OP.
02/02/2015 7:42 pm
CascadianX
Thanks
02/02/2015 12:48 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
Heck when summer comes and I get some free time to build more, I'll probably offer to build things for free.
Whatever happened to people building for the fun of it?
I mean, I can understand it if it's like a build team is just ridiculously talented and has actually proven that after spends hours upon hours upon hours on single builds that end with mind blowing results, but if it's just a single person or small group of people who don't even have a detailed portfolio to begin with, there's just no reason.
02/02/2015 7:50 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
stuuuuuuarrt
Exactly, those types of people shouldn't be asking for money. But the talented ones who build amazing things have every right to. Same thing goes for developers. If someone is good at it, I don't see any problem at all for them asking for money.
02/01/2015 11:51 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
xXxOwnerxXx
Back on topic. Now that he is gone.

I totally agree with the main post. Builders shouldn't make a money cost for anything. It ruins the games for those who don't have money.
02/02/2015 8:01 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
If it's something they're good at, and it takes up their time, there's no reason for them NOT to charge, espicially if people are willing to pay.

Look here bub, you can't expect everything in life for free. People charging for a professional looking, time consuming build (that obviously benefits the server owner) doesn't ruin the game for other people with no money. At all. Oooooh, boohoo, some little start-up server can't have a fantastic 500x500 spawn for free. That's simply not how life works. Building teams, like anything else that you pay money for in the world, are a service that does something you don't want to do/don't have the time to do.
They can't just be expected to do it for free.
02/02/2015 8:27 pm
stuuuuuuarrt
*Claps*
That is exactly it.
02/02/2015 12:30 am
Level 30 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
Unfortunately for you, money does cost something and builders aren't the ones who make it that way. As for paying for builds, if you don't want a quality build for a little money, then learn how to build yourself. It isn't hard, all you have to do is learn how to place blocks in a way that looks appealing. That only takes a few months...
02/02/2015 12:00 am
stuuuuuuarrt
I doubt that you've been a server owner then. You try working for free, building an awesome project for them and have the server fail within 3 months. *Example* Why should this person http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/cubic-z ... aft.32515/ build for free? I would gladly pay $200 for a professional, good looking build.
02/01/2015 11:48 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
YourLocalFloridian
I will stop trying, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'll leave this thread alone, but seriously, I'm sorry if I wronged any of you. I feel like I've made a fool of myself, maybe I've just had a long day. Carry on!
02/01/2015 11:42 pm
YourLocalFloridian
Oh no,did you think I was being cocky when I said you had a Camaro? Oh my gosh I feel stupid XD

I didn't mean anything by it,I was just identifying you. Like if somebody walked in a room wearing a hat I would say '(bla bla) the person with the hat!'.

Sorry if I up upset you in any way,I really meant the donation was honorable. Again, sorry, hope this all clears over!
02/01/2015 11:46 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
xXxOwnerxXx
You are being cocky. Seriously knock it off kid. You already got smashed. Stop trying.
02/01/2015 11:46 pm
CascadianX
GG
02/01/2015 11:33 pm
CascadianX
YourLocalFloridianOh and good on you for that donation! Very honorable!

My donation for your sorry -snip-. You don't have to have a cocky attitude.

I've learned to appericate the stuff I have, I love to EARN my things. I love to work for it, starting off to $0. Sometimes it is unfortunate my family decides to just hand things to me.

Treating me with disregards and cockiness. Trolling or Flaming. It is disrespectful. I earn my things like any other person can. Not my fault I was born into this situation but whatever.

Being Sarcastic and about how the community is so helpful for helping someone with a Camaro. What ever. I don't need to hear it. For your comment, I did something productive to society, productive for humanity. Could you say the same thing?
02/01/2015 11:26 pm
YourLocalFloridian

Let me change that for yah [/quote]
Ok haha, hello Camaro Stranger! How was your day? [/quote]

It was great. That is for your sarcastic comment. GG kid.

What did you do today? Good feeling I know.[/quote]

Not too sure what the picture stands for, but I didn't do much today! Just some cleaning and minecraft XD

Oh and good on you for that donation! Very honorable!
02/01/2015 11:08 pm
CascadianX
I would understand if you and a team took a week and a half on a build... but for an hour build... in a 250x300 area which has lots of paths a random small things. I think $350 is a bit extreme. In all glory, it would on be around 8 houses, and 2 towers, 1 castle.
02/01/2015 11:06 pm
YourLocalFloridian
Awww, it's heart warming seeing the best of the community come together to help the stranger with the Camaro :')
02/01/2015 11:08 pm
CascadianX
Let me change that for yah
02/01/2015 11:11 pm
YourLocalFloridian
Ok haha, hello Camaro Stranger! How was your day?
02/01/2015 11:22 pm
CascadianX
It was great. That is for your sarcastic comment. GG kid.

What did you do today? Good feeling I know.
02/01/2015 11:04 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
VertziForte
SherwoodGamingBuilders are always asking for ransom amounts of money. I don't know what they expect from a ton of people that are from the ages 12-17 paying for $90 builds.

JoaoPauloC100Not to mention people who ask money for youtube banners or renders.
That aren't even that great.

Yeahh.. I don't even have the heart to point out faults I see. If I would then outsiders would get the wrong idea and probably stare me down as a villain. Although that might be me and my overactive imagination.

I would agree 90% of the time yet there are some people who do outstanding jobs and has put a lot of hard work on their stuff.
But just saying that 90% of the time I see half-hearted / overdosed attempts of portfolios that could be improved on yet they're still asking for more than they bargained.

On the other hand, I'd agree with the title. Games should be treated as games. Not a source to get cash.
This starts trekking back to the EULA as well. Donations shouldn't be mandatory.
Servers shouldn't be running 100% on donations. If the players support the server and want it to improve or live longer; then go ahead and do it.
All I can say is that baited donations feel a lot like a case of the 8th Grader Syndrome.
The first time you'd think it's awesome but after a while there's regret.
02/01/2015 10:55 pm
CascadianX
Well, I've gotten a lot of helpful hands wanting to help recently, you dudes are pretty awesome. You know who you are.

I've been taking the building into my own hands and randoms just come in and help out. That there is a generous act, and I reward generosity
02/01/2015 11:03 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Blacksmith
roNiN_
Hey, could I help out?
What you described is exactly what I love to do and I hate to see people asking for money when they can be paid in good times and memories.
02/01/2015 10:51 pm
YourLocalFloridian
SasukeUchiha2214
YourLocalFloridianP.S in conclusion, if you want to pay somebody for a build, more power to you! But the best builds are those you have fun making, especially with friends!

Yes. This.

Haha,I read my quote in the 'recent activity' box, and thought, 'ohhhhhh crap, what did I get into....' XD
02/01/2015 10:25 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Architect
SickFlow29
...but when we ask for money, generally, its under $100 and then server owners go around and but up a $400 donor rank and there are as much as you may deny kids who will buy it. Also don't single out builders, have you seen how much devs charge?
02/01/2015 11:03 pm
stuuuuuuarrt
Don't mention devs. They deserve every cent that they get, same with builders (As long as they are good)
02/01/2015 10:24 pm
YourLocalFloridian
P.S in conclusion, if you want to pay somebody for a build, more power to you! But the best builds are those you have fun making, especially with friends!
02/01/2015 10:13 pm
Level 24 : Expert Crafter
Ninvento
I would love to join your team and I want to be paid $0.00 aka free
02/01/2015 9:58 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
If someone wants to charge to build something, I think that's perfectly okay. For $350, I'd expect something amazing that would wow everyone who visited my server. For $20, I'd expect something small. While greed exists everywhere, not just Minecraft, you also often pay for quality.

I'm okay with donor ranks too. As long as the server isn't selling items/gameplay-altering functions or commands, I'm okay with it. Have your hat and your cosmetic pet and colored name or whatever. It keeps the server running smoothly by helping pay the bills and doesn't affect how I play the game.
02/01/2015 10:14 pm
Level 24 : Expert Crafter
Ninvento
I feel like it's just greedy Minecraft's a game NOT a job
02/01/2015 10:20 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
That doesn't mean that it's not a lot of work to build something that someone wants you to build. The same can be said for taking art or writing requests. Sometimes it's hard to do because it's someone else's idea and you aren't as invested in creatingit. That's what asking for payment is for.

I'd wager that you don't take any commissions otherwise I think you would understand.
02/01/2015 9:55 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Code_7
I kinda agree with both sides on this.

on one hand, everyone seems to think money grows on trees. people rent a server and ask for donations to keep the server running. of course no one donates, so the server owners add perks to make donating worthwhile. sometimes that doesn't work out, and the server just becomes a financial drain on the owner, and thus eventually shuts down. shutting down leads to the rage of the remaining players yet still NO ONE wants to donate money.

on the other hand, i've seen some servers try to avoid the donation problem entirely by adding minigames and other things which you pay real money to play/use. I've even come across some servers that pretty much have little to nothing for players who Don't pay anything. Granted I do find servers like this annoying, but really when you think about it, it makes sense. big servers like this have policies & procedures just like a real business. some companies aren't all that different from MC servers. both have drama, both have politics. if the owner of the company/server decides to just quit and retire is there any sort of course of action planned so it doesn't have to be shut down? but again, i do find servers like this annoying because to me it feels like the server is just screaming at you "Pay me or GTFO". some server's i've found that they have like 2 ranks for non-donators then like 7-10 for donators based on how much they pay. typically these are the servers that i tend to avoid because, they are out to make a Profit, and not to just cover their expenses.

in the future, I can see big servers going away. as many people seem like they just don't want to pay for anything, and the rise of small poorly built servers being more and more common.
02/01/2015 9:47 pm
stuuuuuuarrt
I completely disagree with this. If a builder is good, he should be paid. Why should a builder, build something amazing for your server and have it fail with in a month? You're paying for quality. $350 can be completely worth it if he is a good enough builder to make a detailed and eye catching spawn

If you like the server, you should donate and get some small cosmetic things. Servers cost a lot of money to run.
There are servers that make money, but not for profit. It goes towards the server, to upgrade it, get custom plugins, cooler features, better logos, and more.
Bottom line, I completely disagree with everything you said.
02/01/2015 9:16 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
+PixelPirate+
I agree, and McJackson1380, calm your arse! I don't believe in "ranks" you have to pay for. I already payed 17 pounds for the game, I don't want to pay another 5 to have a little ULTRA thingy beside my name and access to a few more thing in the Hunger Games! What is this?

I can understand Minecraft videos, (not that I watch them) because you're not paying for them, it's free entertainment and all that, but all this stuff with server just makes me want to... I don't know... Move to Ireland! (That was a joke, please don't kill me, the stereotype of Irish people here is that you're stupid, but I know you're not)

I agree with you Sherwood!
02/01/2015 9:36 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ladybug
McJackson3180
I'm being calm, just play on a server that doesn't sell stuff? You're not being forced to play on that server..
02/01/2015 7:01 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
ChrisDitfort
I guess you just need to work your creativity, and you'll be able to build yourself.
02/01/2015 8:52 pm
CascadianX
I do build myself, but doing it by myself is a pain in the . You probably get where I am coming from.

I've stuck to just doing it by myself with some of those who are willing to help.
02/01/2015 6:58 pm
McJackson3180
Ahem? generalizing? That's a sinnin' *Ding*
EVERY other server? I bet I can find some without a donator rank! There are some I've been on that are entirely out of pocket from the owner. Go leave fool![/quote]

I'll help you with your search. The Phoenix. We don't even encourage players to donate, in fact we discourage it [/quote]
Did you not read my reply at all?[/quote]

Nope. but i did now
It appeared after i made my post. :3[/quote]
Oh alright, understandable.
02/01/2015 6:57 pm
Level 27 : Expert Farmer
Teethdude
McJackson3180
Teethdude
Kirito Swordsman
I havea 5 dollar donor rank to keep the server up, just like almost EVERY other server.

EVERY other server? I bet I can find some without a donator rank! There are some I've been on that are entirely out of pocket from the owner. Go leave fool!

I'll help you with your search. The Phoenix. We don't even encourage players to donate, in fact we discourage it

Did you not read my reply at all?

Nope. but i did now
It appeared after i made my post. :3
02/01/2015 6:55 pm
McJackson3180
Kirito Swordsman
McJackson3180

EVERY other server? I bet I can find some without a donator rank! There are some I've been on that are entirely out of pocket from the owner. Go leave fool!

God I can't stand people like you, don't take everything so literally. When I say "just like every other server" I mean most, it's obvious that not all servers have a donation rank, but the truth is a majority of public servers do.[/quote]
God, I can't stand people like you who think humanity shouldn't have limits. So, you think people should not get jobs and just be lazy bums demanding people who might just be working their butts off to make ends meet, pay them? No! You make me sick![/quote]
Some people just don't want to spend all their pocket money on a server. I can easily afford it, I pretty much just manage the server I run anyways, I'm not the one paying for it. But I pay when we don't have the donations to do it.
02/01/2015 6:50 pm
Level 27 : Expert Mage
The Silver Paladin
McJackson3180

EVERY other server? I bet I can find some without a donator rank! There are some I've been on that are entirely out of pocket from the owner. Go leave fool![/quote]
God I can't stand people like you, don't take everything so literally. When I say "just like every other server" I mean most, it's obvious that not all servers have a donation rank, but the truth is a majority of public servers do.[/quote]
God, I can't stand people like you who think humanity shouldn't have limits. So, you think people should not get jobs and just be lazy bums demanding people who might just be working their butts off to make ends meet, pay them? No! You make me sick!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome