Noteblock Radio - Minecraft-centered Internet Radio Station

elfin8er's Avatar elfin8er10/8/14 12:51 pm
1 emeralds 9.9k 98
1/2/2015 4:11 pm
WTFshady's Avatar WTFshady
Noteblock Radio is an upcoming internet radio station, centered around Minecraft, that plays more than just Music. We’re hoping you’ll be able to hear Minecraft news and updates, exclusive interviews, Minecraft podcasts, as well as live events, and even giveaways! It’s perfect to listen to while playing Minecraft, lying in bed, or even driving in the car!

At this moment, I still don’t have everything worked out completely. Some of what I’m writing below is stuff that I’m just making up as I go along, so it may not all come together just yet. As time goes on, and I’m able to start testing a little bit more, I’ll try to bring more information.

Sounds neat, but where can I listen?
Click to reveal
Like I said, this is an upcoming internet radio station. IE. it’s not quite ready yet. I’m still trying to experiment, get servers up, get content, etc. Once everything is up, you’ll be able to access the radio station either through your browser (lots of browsers support the web player), or through a downloaded file that can be played on various media players such as iTunes, WMP, or quicktime.

I’m hooked, but that’s a lot of air-time that you’ll need to fill, and there aren’t a whole lot of Minecraft parodies out there…
Click to reveal
I really want to air more than Minecraft parodies and music. While that is great, you’d be correct to assume there’s not enough to fill air-time for the station to run 24/7. That’s why I’ve come up with a few ideas to try and combat this. First off, I’m going to be streaming more than just Minecraft music. As I said before, I really want to stream Minecraft news segments, podcasts, interviews, giveaways, live events, call-ins, etc. as well as music. Along with that, I’m going to start with only streaming over the weekends. Haven’t decided for sure yet, but it’ll probably be Friday night starting at like 7 PM EST. until Saturday night at 7:00 PM. This gives a solid 24 hours of stream time to include all of the content. As more content comes in, the hours may grow.

What’ll happen when the radio isn’t streaming?
Click to reveal
Like I said in the last question, I may only stream on the weekends (at least for now). In that case, when I’m not streaming, one of two things will happen. Either the stream just won’t be up, and you won’t be able to listen to anything, or a playlist of Minecraft songs will simply play on repeat (in that case I would be technically streaming).

How are you going to obtain music that’s going to be played?
Click to reveal
This is one of the main problems I’ve had with starting this radio station up. From what I can tell, I'm going to need to get permission from each and every parody creator in order to play their music on the radio station. I may ask for everybody's help, to tweet at them to help us get the permission.

… but why not just use YouTube, or plug.dj, or some other service?
I’ve got a few reasons, and I’ll try my best to explain them.

Click to reveal
First off, as I said before, this radio station will play more than just music. It’ll play up-to-date news, interviews, live events, contests, podcasts, etc. pretty much combining all of the services that you already use and love. On top of that, I’m hoping for the community to be able to interact with it. I want to be able to take live calls over Skype, hold contests, conduct community driven interviews, etc. Again, this is something that I just don’t think you can get with just one of any of these other services that are currently out there.

Second off, I’m just going to be honest. I think this will be a fun project, and I believe I’ll have a fun time doing it.

What is the schedule going to look like? What if I’m in a timezone where nothing interesting happens?
Click to reveal
This is another big concern of mine. Since I’m not able to sit in front of my computer 24/7 to DJ, I need to setup a little bit of automation. However, I’ll try to be live at a regular time each day that the station is running. In the future, I may play around with the possibility of having multiple DJ’s that can help me stream at different times of day.

When are you going to begin streaming?
Click to reveal
I’m not completely 100% sure yet. However, there are going to be several stages of this project. Alpha, Beta, and Stable. Read below for a brief summary of each stage.

ALPHA - Expect a bit of chaos. The stream may be down often, things may sound glitchy or spazzy, there isn’t really going to be a format, and things may look really bad… this is just a time where I can test everything out, make sure everything is working alright, and get feedback from people.

BETA - Once I have everything some-what figured out, I want to try to get on a regular schedule. However, you can still expect down-times, glitches, and goofs.

STABLE - Finally, when everything is pretty much all good to go, I’ll go into the stable stage. You can expect things to go smoothly from here on out.

You said you’re going to be live? Will you take callers?
Click to reveal
Yep, I’ll hopefully be reporting live from my studio (my bedroom), and taking callers is a possibility. The microphone I’m currently using isn’t the greatest, so I’d need to get an upgrade before the BETA stage begins. As for callers, I guess I’ll see how it goes. Listeners will be able to call in from Skype for contests, requests, interviews, etc.

What is your vision for this project?
Click to reveal
In all honesty, I’m a little bit scared about this. It’s a lot of responsibility to work on something like this. However, I still have a rather ambitious vision. First, I want this station to be G rated. I remember when I was younger, my parents were very strict about what I could and couldn’t do. I want this to be something that the entire family could enjoy together.

Second, I want this to be heavily community based. I want to be able to interact with the community while live on the air. I’d love to be able to give shoutouts, answer questions, and take requests.

Third, I’m hoping this someday turns into something that’s a relatively good size. I don’t expect this to blow up, in fact I don’t want it to. However, it’d be pretty cool to be able to interview some pretty important people. Small mod makers, map makers, server owners, etc.

How can I help?
Click to reveal
Right now, everyone can start coming up with ideas for the station.

If you’re a content creator - You can create a demo of your work, and PM it to me. Also be sure to let me know if you expect this to be aired on a timed schedule, or just a few times whenever I can. I expect the work to be good quality, and that’s about it. No offense, but I’m not going to accept work from a 5 year old singing on a laptop mic with lyrics that don’t make any sense. It’s just not gonna happen. Also, the higher quality your content is, the more air-time you get. For an example, I’m more likely to pick a really great 15 minutes Minecraft news segment than a cheesy hour long, boring podcast without potential.

If you’re an graphic artist - Again, you can PM a portfolio of your work to me. You’ll be contacted only if I need work to be done.

If you’re rich and willing to give me a few bucks - You can keep your money for now. At this moment, I’m not 100% sure if this project is going to really get anywhere. I’d recommend you wait until the project is at least in Alpha of Beta before donating. However, if you wish to donate, please PM me.

If you’re a programmer - PM me with some of your work. You’ll be contacted only if I need work to be done.

If you’re want to sponsor this project - You can again PM me. You can either sponsor financially, or with content such as a VPS, domain, or web-hosting.

If you’ve setup your own successful online radio station before - Please please please PM me. I have tons of questions for you xD

No matter how you end up trying to help, I am going to be a little strict about what content I’m going to accept. Don’t feel bad if I don’t decide to use your work. Sometimes when I get tons of requests, I just have to choose someone to go with. Also, overtime, I may decide to go with something different. Don’t feel bad if your work gets replaced with something else.

How can I contact you?
Click to reveal
At the moment, there are two ways of contacting me. The best place is probably right here on this topic. However, if you’d like to contact me privately, please PM me right here on Planet Minecraft. In the future, I’ll be setting up a Skype and Twitter account for Noteblock Radio, so keep your eyes open for that.
elfin8er
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/02/2015 3:50 pm
elfin8er
Alright guys, I know it's been a while. I've sorta set this aside for now since I'm unable to get permission from parody creators to use their content. So in the meantime, I've thought of another project I could work on. The idea is similar. Every week, I'd release a podcast on iTunes. Each podcast would give a taste to what Noteblock Radio would have been. It'd include news segments, interviews, contests, giveaways, and more! What do you guys think of the idea? If I get enough feedback here, I may start a new thread giving the details, and information on how to get involved.
01/02/2015 4:11 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
I liked the old idea more, but yeah, sure, this one is pretty good too.
12/07/2014 9:34 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
YourLocalFloridian
this idea sounds so cool, you should have a segment every half hour or so that plays a song on actual noteblocks

keep working on this, it's awesome!
12/07/2014 6:36 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
Mikeroboblox
Keep trying to get permission on this, don't give it up.
Try hitting a bunch of smaller parody makers, as they would be more inclined to let you use theirs. When you gain enough to launch it, bigger and bigger parody makers will notice.
12/07/2014 8:58 pm
elfin8er
Well, I got permission from hojjoshMC. I'll keep trying with the smaller guys. Any suggestions?
12/07/2014 6:25 pm
Level 21 : Expert Pokemon
Epikface
seems cool
12/07/2014 3:25 am
Level 1 : New Miner
EmmienMinecraft
Hey. I saw this post ages back and can't remember if I replied or not :/

I also read through the Minecraft Forums one and saw that you needed software that could seamlessly switch between music and a mic input. Instead of using software for this, you would be much better off (Much much better off) using a mixer.
They can be quite cheap ($50 for a cheap one, $100 for a nice one)
Some even have a USB Audio interface in them so you can just plug it in directly to your pc and send sound/music out to it and receive it from it.

I reccomend the Behringer Xenyx Q1002 as it has two XLR inputs (For mics), full band EQ (For getting rid of hiss and hum and feedback), it's fairly small, it has 6 quarter inch inputs, one phono out which is great for small recorders, and will act as a soundcard for your pc, so all the audio comes in on the same channel and can easily be streamed using any software.
It would also be good if you had a seperate audio interface with quarter inch out to connect into one of the channels. This way, you can setup your music playing software to send sound to that, and it would be easy to adjust the volume.
12/07/2014 6:07 pm
elfin8er
Thanks for the input, unfortunately, I have been unable to get permission from enough artists to make this happen. The only way this is coming back, is if I can team up with someone that has connections with a few of these parody creators, and can get some permission for me.
10/25/2014 4:50 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Cyborg
RCXcrafter
I'm thinking of how I could help by making textures, but I have no idea. (My profile pic is a bad indication of how good/bad I am)
10/25/2014 7:58 pm
elfin8er
If you really want to help, see the post above yours.
10/25/2014 2:52 pm
elfin8er
This project is currently at it's most difficult stage, and I need help. This could make or break it for Noteblock Radio. What's going on you may ask? Well, I'm trying to get permission from the many Minecraft parody creators to allow me to use their music on "the air". It's pretty hard to get the attention of some of the big guys who probably get 100's of messages a day.

What can you do to help you may ask? Well, I need to get as many people to help me message these parody creators. Everyone from The Jolly Ol' Brits, to CaptainSparklez, and everywhere from YouTube, to Twitter.

For Twitter, please include the hashtag #noteblockradio, as well as my Twitter handle @elfin8er. If all goes as planned, the YouTuber will click on the hashtag, and eventually contact me giving me permission. Here's an example.
@CaptainSparklez please allow @elfin8er to use your Minecraft music in a non-profit internet radio station called #noteblockradio!

For YouTube & Email, please include the phrase "Noteblock Radio" in the subject line, as well as a way for them to contact me, and a link to view more information about the project. Lastly, please include that this project is non-profit. This may be essential. Here's an example.
Hello CaptainSparklez, I am contacting you in regards to Noteblock Radio, a non-profit internet radio station being created by elfin8er. I ask that you please consider giving him permission to use your Minecraft music "on the air". You can learn more information about the project at: miners-radio-idea-for-minecraft-centered-radio-station-t443372-84.html, and contact elfin8er at: elfin8er@gmail.com. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Of course you can feel free to come up with your own messages as well.

Do NOT Message These Guys
Most likely we've already gotten a response.

- hojjoshMC

Another way you guys can help, is by passing this on to your friends. Whether it's putting a link to this post in your Skype mood, or telling all of your friends personally. We could use all of the help we can get!

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to help me out. It means a lot! Hopefully we can get permission from most of these guys if we all work together. Thanks again
10/19/2014 4:01 am
elfin8er
I've begun the attempt to get permission from parody creators. I've currently gotten permission from hojjoshMC to use his parodies. It's somewhat of a long shot, but if anybody has connections, please PM me!

Also, feel free to use #noteblockradio on twitter to spread the word!
10/18/2014 3:33 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Network
MiDShadow
Can I apply as a DJ?
10/18/2014 2:49 pm
elfin8er
I'm still trying to figure out how DJing is going to work. I think I have an idea, but I still need to set it up. In the meantime, you can feel free to send me pre-recorded content as a private message (see the op post to see what I expect).
10/18/2014 3:00 am
Level 30 : Artisan Artist
I_am_INACTIVE
Awesome!
10/18/2014 2:54 am
Level 43 : Master Engineer
aboveordinary
I'd be willing to do a weekly segment. I will most likely do a community spotlight if you don't already have it. I will pm you an audio clip when I get around to it.
10/18/2014 2:56 am
elfin8er
That'd be great! Actually, I haven't accepted any segments yet. Just be sure to make it something that I could air tomorrow if I wanted to. Make sure it's well edited, and of good quality. Also, length doesn't really matter.
10/18/2014 3:02 am
Level 43 : Master Engineer
aboveordinary
I will work on the segment tomorrow. I will do a community spotlight right now but I could also look at doing opinion pieces with callers or sent in questions when I get settled in.
10/18/2014 3:05 am
elfin8er
Alright, sounds good You could also do interviews if you'd like. That'd be pretty cool.
10/18/2014 12:04 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Ranger
BestMinerGavin
Nice! Maybe each day of the week we could have a different song type, like Monday would be 80's and Oldies, Tuesday top hits, etc.
10/18/2014 12:08 am
elfin8er
Like I said before, the station is going to mostly play Minecraft parodies. It'll be a bit easier (though still pretty hard) to get permission from artists. I may ask for some of you to help me tweet at the music creators asking for permission.
10/18/2014 12:10 am
BestMinerGavin
80's and Oldies parodies, like parodies of older songs
10/18/2014 12:23 am
elfin8er
Ah, gotchu. I'm not sure if there's enough parodies to dedicate a whole day to different generas.
10/18/2014 12:34 am
BestMinerGavin
True, though. We're definitely not ready to make a bunch of our own. I'd really like to help support and give ideas to this project.
10/18/2014 12:37 am
elfin8er
Thanks for your support <3 Keep the ideas coming, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to do them all...
10/17/2014 11:59 pm
elfin8er
Thanks for the support guys! I'm hoping to go live by Monday, but we'll have to see what happens. Here's a little sneak peak of the website if anybody's interested:

Click to reveal
Click the image to see it a bit better!!
10/17/2014 11:09 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dragon
ShadowDestroyer5
This is great! I don't think I can help you in any way, but just showing some support.
10/17/2014 11:04 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Robot
Mqxi
I love the idea!
Name Suggestion: JukeboxMC Radio
As for helping you out, I would be the guy to help set up control panels/moderate chats and such. Other than those, I can't be much help :/

Thanks for reading!
10/17/2014 10:41 pm
BestMinerGavin
I would love to help, and if my voice isn't cracking too much, I may be able to make a voice only parody. I'd be doing 80's only, though
10/17/2014 10:43 pm
BestMinerGavin
Beatles, too.
10/17/2014 11:22 pm
BestMinerGavin
Created two quick song ideas:
Living Underground (Livin' on a Prayer)
Hey Noob (Hey Jude)
10/17/2014 10:22 pm
Level 27 : Expert Artist
JoaoPauloC100
I love to see the way this is going!
I'll make a banner for us! Some of those "I support" thingies.
10/17/2014 10:34 pm
elfin8er
Alright, that'd be pretty neat!
10/15/2014 2:53 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
EmmienMinecraft
I have a channel called RandomActivity. We do some parodies (Mostly bad) but if you want to use any, feel free!
I myself also do a lot of video editing and a little bit of small animation. Tell me if you want anything.
10/16/2014 7:34 pm
elfin8er
Thanks for the offer!

As an update, the website is coming along well. I'm hoping to start testing either this weekend, or the begging of next week! I'll be posting screen shots in a few hours, so keep your eyes out for that
10/15/2014 3:28 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
jjcyalater
Hey if you want non copyrighted music check out no copyright sounds channel this is my favorite song from them at the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtKbiyy ... 6gOs7HcyNg
10/15/2014 11:22 am
elfin8er
Thanks, but the only music that's going to be played on the station is Minecraft related music.
10/15/2014 12:50 am
Level 36 : Artisan Architect
jgrocks2
Sound pretty cool and it seems like it'll be successful.
If you're interested at all I am making a Creeper inspired Deep House song right now, Again if you're interested do you want me to send you a link to it when I'm done? Y'might need a little bit more variety than just parodies music wise
10/15/2014 3:01 am
elfin8er
Thanks for the feedback! It'd be great if you could send me a link to that song when it's finished
10/14/2014 4:32 pm
elfin8er
HUGE UPDATES: I've purchased the VPS, and have the server up-and-running. The website is also up, and is being hosted for me by the awesome folks at http://allweb.solutions. I've also purchased the domain for the website (I'll be sharing it in the upcoming few days, or possibly even tonight). Everything is pretty much set up, it's just a matter of customizing a few things before "Alpha", as well as fixing a few things in my local network before I can broadcast (I'm waiting on an ethernet cord in the mail). Huge thanks to everyone for your continued support! Keep your eyes out for a link to the website any day now

Also, as before, I'm still looking for some content creators. Everything from graphic artists, to content creators. If you'd like to help, please send me a demo of some of your work via PM. Be sure to submit well polished work. It MUST be something that I could use today if I wanted to. This is just to see exactly what your content will look like for the real thing. Edit everything to make it sound nice.

Lastly, the best way to get in touch with me at the moment, is HERE. (#noteblockradio irc).
10/13/2014 3:07 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Geek
TheLukeGuy
cool
10/13/2014 11:10 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Engineer
Maveriknight
yo, an idea you might find worthwhile Is to look into the openblocks mod, and see if there's a way you can get linked up to it. it's got a block and a handful of items that let players listen to internet radio in game. I think it's open blocks, anyway. I know it's in some of the more recent big modpacks, like yogscast complete and TPPI.
10/13/2014 1:13 pm
elfin8er
Yea, I know what you're talking about. It works with Computercraft. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a peripheral that would allow me to do so. I'll look into it though once I have things up and running

UPDATE: I'm going to try to rent the VPS either today or tomorrow! That means you could start to see a working station as soon as this weekend
10/13/2014 11:04 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
ElmofiedBoby
GyllieGyllieHey,

A friend and I already have a Minecraft radio. But we could use some help. If you want to help feel free to contact me.

For those who want to check the radio: http://www.mcfunkyradio.com

Greets

Will check it out. Though it is a weird name lol
10/13/2014 4:57 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
GyllieGyllie
Hey,

A friend and I already have a Minecraft radio. But we could use some help. If you want to help feel free to contact me.

For those who want to check the radio: www.mcfunkyradio.com

Greets
10/11/2014 2:49 pm
ElmofiedBoby
Hello there, I read this whole thing, and I think this is a a wonderful idea! I just wanted to let you know that if you are going to just make it a link with a play button, that wouldn't look so nice. I was thinking you could make a website for it. Some of the information could be put on the website (if you put all of it, whats the point of airing it ). And also, PLEASE post a link of this! I so badly want to listen at our awesome try at a station. You are taking yourself in the right direction!
10/11/2014 3:08 pm
elfin8er
I've already started working on a website, and have a few awesome people helping me. Thanks for your support, and I'll be sure to post a link as soon as I'm ready to go into Alpha.
10/13/2014 11:03 am
ElmofiedBoby
Ok cool thanks! Will share this with all my friends.
10/11/2014 2:32 pm
elfin8er
List of Songs I currently Have:

Click to reveal
A Creeper Like You
All I Do Is Dig
Creepers Are Terrible
Don't Mine At Night
Dragons
Dumb Ways To Die
The Eye of the Creeper
Fallen Kingdom
Hack That
I Love My Minecraft World
I'll Make Some Cake
Join Me Stevie
Let If Glow
Make A Cake
Mine
Mine It Out
Minecraft Is Just Awesome
The Miner
Mining Diamonds
Mining Ores
My Favorite Things
One More Fright
Revenge
Skelly Heart
TNT
Wrecking Mob

Total Time: One Hour and Thirteen Minutes

I know I'm probably missing quite a few. I'm still working at adding more songs, so don't worry
10/10/2014 3:43 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
Cool, I`ll check it out.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome