Mojang EULA Thread

Paril's Avatar Paril6/5/14 9:43 pm
1 emeralds 56.1k 1.6k
11/21/2014 12:59 pm
Casamify's Avatar Casamify
Since this topic is fairly important, I've decided to hijack and sticky the thread. Discuss the new EULA changes here.
Paril
Developer
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/18/2014 6:59 am
Level 34 : Artisan Ninja
AkirAssasin
ChimalusDoes God have a EULA that prevents people from buying and selling things within his created universe? Nope. Why should Mojang?

.... because Mojang is not God? lol
11/18/2014 5:51 am
Level 44 : Master Artist
Chimalus
Does God have a EULA that prevents people from buying and selling things within his created universe? Nope. Why should Mojang?

(The God thing is theoretical. Wouldn't want anyone to think I'm preaching. It's just a cute analogy! Gosh!)
11/21/2014 12:59 pm
Level 49 : Master Batman
Casamify
God and mojang are a whole different thing -_-
11/18/2014 6:07 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Modder
searchndstroy
Because when you have control over what you create, you don't need a EULA.

(I don't believe in God...)
11/18/2014 6:38 am
Level 29 : Expert Birb
Auradyme
Me either
11/18/2014 6:44 am
searchndstroy
Let's not throw this thread into a religious squabble.
11/13/2014 8:57 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Architect
NostalgicBrowser
lets get this strate. THERE IS NO NEW EULA. all we have is a blog post saying what they want to put in a new eula. the blog post is not a legal document.
11/13/2014 5:37 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
Ok then, going on the "old" one, or current one as you put it, no servers can even sell cosmetics or anything in game! All they can pretty much do it sell merchandise not-related to minecraft, and accept donations. I think most people like this "new" one!
11/09/2014 8:08 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Modder
Nbrandwine
For everyone who wants to act tuff, know that [Ctrl + F] will help back your -stuff- up when you want to dig something from the EULA.
11/03/2014 7:48 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Pyr0mrcow
They basically do, it's just a matter of paperwork. Last time I looked, Microsoft said, at the latest, it'd be done by the end of the year.

They'll either change the EULA, or enforce the current one, because they're a large, strictly run company. It's just what's going to happen, though it might take time. For better or worse, though? I have no idea.
11/03/2014 6:10 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Explodncheez
Nothing much has changed at the moment, so Microsoft might not do anything...

As for the EULA, I've never seen it enforced yet.
11/03/2014 6:40 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
I don't think Microsoft's going to do anything for a while. Considering the company they are, taking good care of a video game subcompany would hardly be part of their concerns, especially since Mojang is not in any particular crisis. We can all wait a few months or a few years.
11/03/2014 6:59 pm
searchndstroy
Microsoft isn't going to do anything because they don't own Mojang yet.
11/03/2014 6:09 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Hunter
Ciberg
People seem to think that now Microsoft bought Mojang, Mojang no longer exists and Minecraft will be ruined.
11/03/2014 5:52 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Explorer
ThePopcornKings
Lol. Y'all are pointing your fingers at Mojang when in reality: MOJANG DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE, just had to get that off my chest.
11/18/2014 7:10 am
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
Jacob Rigoberto
Microsoft bough Mojang, why should they buy something that does not exist?
11/21/2014 12:06 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
^
Mojang still very much exists. They're jusg (potentially) being boughten by Microsoft.
11/03/2014 6:09 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Insanity
lol
mojang is now a "subreddit" of microsoft (if microsoft was reddit)
11/03/2014 6:04 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
...I'm sorry? Was that supposed to be a troll?
11/03/2014 1:34 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
fpsMC
Is it a good idea to break the new EULA?
11/03/2014 1:55 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
It's never a good idea to break any end-user license agreement, but I have never heard of Mojang going after a server that was violating Minecraft's EULA.

Then again anyone could report your server on Mojang's website.
10/19/2014 5:07 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragonborn
miniluigi008
For me, they crossed the line.
Let me explain why.

the Mojang EULA (as of December 2013):
Any tools you write for the Game from scratch belong to you. . Modifications to the Game ("Mods") (including pre-run Mods and in-memory Mods) and plugins for the Game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don‘t sell them for money / try to make money from them. We have the final say on what constitutes a tool/mod/plugin and what doesn‘t.

Well, dang, if the code I wrote belongs to me, then why can't I sell it? I own it. It's my innate right. Basically, they're saying--

I have a sketchbook. Unaware, by using the sketchbook I agree to the sketchbook's terms (or "EULA".) So I make a cool drawing, and I want to sell it at an art show, but suddenly the people who made the sketchbook "own" my art because of their terms so I can't do anything with it. What? If you're anything like me, by now you would think that's ridiculous! And then, they go and make less sense...

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-se ... etisation/ says:
As I hope you’ve noticed, these rules are making attempts to prevent Minecraft servers becoming “pay-to-win.”

There is no winning in Minecraft, people. Even if you win a mini-game, you can't win the Minecraft server. Heck, do you even win the mini-game...? I'd question anything at this point if I created something and I don't have rights to it.

Plus, not all servers are like that. They're not just cutting down "pay to win" servers like grass, they're cutting ALL servers like grass. I'd be fine if that wasn't the case, but it is the case. In my opinion, they're doing the "right thing" in the wrong way.

Not only that, but the new EULA that went into effect apparently prevents you from giving perks for donating in an attempt to make "all Minecraft servers more fair." Now, if you're anyone not like me, you'd be shouting, "YAY! I DON'T HAVE TO PAY AND I GET ALL THE PERKS I WANT!" which isn't necessarily good.

Servers require a certain amount of money to run-- for upkeep, (my computer has glitched many times because I host my server,) internet (it gets costly if you know how much bandwidth is these days,) DDOS protection (google it,) and ESPECIALLY if you decide to go for paid hosting, which most people do.

Now, on a side note, Mojang says you can't sell plugins... but they say you can hire a developer. Not only is that a pain because you have to employ someone, it's costly, and since someone can't make money from a server, why would you make that investment...?

So, would you like to know what happens farther in the future?
Here we are in the future-- with the new EULA. Well, now, with funds dwindling because no one wants to donate anymore because there are no perks,

Click to reveal
Well, some of you may say, "People will still donate!" and I'm sorry to say, that is not how most people are. They're greedy, and in the economy we have right now, no one wants to donate money out of their food budget.

there's hardly money to hire a developer much less run the actual server 24/7.

So developers get cut off. Well, why would anyone want to create content (that they "own") for something where they can't make money...?

And without awesome plugins by private developers, we wouldn't have awesome mini-games today. Or most any plugins. Most of the free plugins are inspired by the paid ones. And without plugins, Minecraft servers are less interesting. And for someone who has played Minecraft for a long time and thinks it's already boring, taking away the community, the servers-- it takes away the replay-ability of the game. Think about it.

Minecraft is nothing without its community. And gee, with the death of thousands of Minecraft servers in the future, that leaves a large marketing gap... does it not?
So Mojang gets to join the party. (As if they already weren't in it...)

They start up Minecraft Realms. Oh, now we have to pay them to host a server? Well, if it's cheap it's not so bad... right? RIGHT? Nope.
Let me tell you why.

Click to reveal
1. Takes away the D.I.Y. feeling.

2. You can't control your server completely like you could before.

2 1/2. You can roll back, but there's no land protection whatsoever. Say hi to griefing.

3. Player limit. You can only invite about 20 friends.
What's more?

3 1/2. Only 10 people can play at the same time. What a drag!

4. You're forced to use Mojang's network. And if it goes down, all servers hosted using Realms will go down.

5. You can't have custom plugins... It's all vanilla. Say bye-bye to the fun.

6. There's no way to upload a map. [CORRECTION, there was no way... is now.]

7. You can't use older versions of Minecraft with Realms.
Say bye-bye to nostalgia.

8. Realms doesn't support command blocks. [CORRECTION, they didn't before... do now.]
They still probably won't tolerate command block abuse, however.

Ex. Infinite redstone loops to try and crash the hosting.

9. One world at a time. People can't be in different worlds at the same time. You all have to agree on a game mode, even though you can switch it periodically.
I see large fights between game modes. "I want creative!" "No, I want survival!"

Even though there are many upsides, there are downsides. Large downsides.

Not to mention this point by a random internet guy:

This seems to be a direct confrontation of words here...

"You are allowed to sell in-game items so long as they don’t affect gameplay
We don’t mind you selling items in game, but they must be purely cosmetic. Pets, hats, and particle effects are OK, but swords, invincibility potions, and man-eating pigs are not. We want all players to be presented with the same gameplay features, whether they decide to pay or not."

Because they are saying that they don't want you to sell them because it may cause a disadvantage. Yet if it's an item available to everyone, it wouldn't. I think they just need to really look over what they've said and really nitpick until it's specific, because as it stands it's confusing and constantly backtalks itself.

What their term for donation and what is the legally defined term for donation as well as items received or not received is two separate things. Donations, after all, only represent the will of the consumer, not the business (the server). If they plan on telling us who we can donate to and if the business can even give out free items to us at will, then it is protected for us. Think of it this way, if we donate and they give us things, they didn't have to in the first place, but they did. We are getting FREE ITEMS as a thanks for donating. They are FREE, we didn't purchase them. I donated not for the crap it comes with, which is obtainable in-game regardless, but because I liked the server. I personally would not have cared if they didn't deliver on the items, as they are FREE. There is no rule or statement in the EULA to say that they aren't allowed to just give us things, is there? Because that would be illegal on their part in a sense.

That random internet guy has got a point.

And, to just put the cherry on the sundae:

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/an-ind ... ye.310086/
http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/dmcad.28536/
http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/our-dmc ... nse.28772/
10/13/2014 2:36 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Artist
The Celestia Empire
I'm hoping Microsoft will do something awesome with something that is already awesome.

How do you guys think Microsoft could screw up?
One of my friends said he feared they might officially stop updating the game but instead start offering DLCs wich you'd have to pay for.
10/12/2014 5:40 pm
Level 49 : Master Robot
RezzedUp
.-.
I thought we were all done with this.
10/12/2014 5:43 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Of course not. :3

It's time to see what Microsoft will do. Granted, we have a year or so to wait, but we can speculate and assume. Speculation and assumptions have never caused problems before. /sarcasm
10/12/2014 2:17 pm
CalPal_
commanderneivlle
iNUKEYLUKEYi
NuclearManxI read the EULA and I could not find anything regarding server donations?

You must be blind then (no offence meant, just stating how oblivious it is, as it is a big part of the thing)

EULA = Ruined/Is Ruining MC

I find it annoying how everyone is saying the EULA is ruining Minecraft; most who say this are either server "donators" or server owners.

Minecraft isn't just about giving money to get better stuff... By saying that the EULA has ruined the game who have really ignored what the game is really about.

There are other ways to fund a server other than through "donations" for items or classes.

Exactly this.

Anyway, how is shutting down larger servers who can't do good business hurting Minecraft anyway? If they can't find new ways to run their server, they'll have to find a way to keep it running. Or else they don't deserve it.

small, teamwork oriented, near-vanilla survival servers are where it's at
10/12/2014 10:01 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
NuclearManx
I read the EULA and I could not find anything regarding server donations?
10/12/2014 10:09 am
CalPal_
There's nothinf directly regarding server donations, but it basically says "hey you can't directly make money off our in game items!"
10/12/2014 10:05 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Farmer
iNUKEYLUKEYi
You must be blind then (no offence meant, just stating how oblivious it is, as it is a big part of the thing)

EULA = Ruined/Is Ruining MC
10/12/2014 11:10 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin
CommanderNeville
I find it annoying how everyone is saying the EULA is ruining Minecraft; most who say this are either server "donators" or server owners.

Minecraft isn't just about giving money to get better stuff... By saying that the EULA has ruined the game who have really ignored what the game is really about.

There are other ways to fund a server other than through "donations" for items or classes.
10/12/2014 9:35 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
polarluke2
1656 post to be exact.....wow
And 139 pages
10/12/2014 9:31 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Necromancer
creeperinmyhouse
Clicked on this thread, sees it has 138 pages of posts... leaves thread.
10/12/2014 7:44 am
Level 33 : Artisan Artist
The Celestia Empire
Well that escalated quickly...
10/12/2014 8:07 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
Latouth
I agree....
Escalated a little quick
09/07/2014 1:34 am
GoodIdea
Searchndstroy
GoodIdea

Wolf released code under GPL which means the minecraft server from mojang must be provided. Mojang said no, so this breached the GPL license/invalidated it and enabled a DMCA.

I understand how Wolfe was able to DMCA craftbukkit.
Should probably edit your paragraph there, I found some grammar mistakes and one sentence that didn't make any sense. (Wolf released code under GPL which means the minecraft server from mojang must be provided)

Here are some tips so you can understand the situation:

Read why the staff left, they give full explanations
Learn the circumstances of what happened and see how they fit in.
Read the DMCA act claim by wolf.

If you want links I can give you them, although with so many Bukkit staff leaving I might miss a post or two.
09/07/2014 12:02 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Engineer
Quanto__
My point:

STOP POINTING UR FAT FINGERS AT MOJANG, IT ISNT THEIR FAULT!
10/13/2014 9:12 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
09/07/2014 1:31 am
GoodIdea
Who's fault is it then?

Did Bukkit staff just decided to do a mass quit to go on a world tour? They were bored? They just wanted to end all server software for no reason?

I'd like to hear your views...
09/07/2014 12:14 am
searchndstroy
What isn't their fault?
09/06/2014 11:15 pm
searchndstroy
GoodIdea

Wolf released code under GPL which means the minecraft server from mojang must be provided. Mojang said no, so this breached the GPL license/invalidated it and enabled a DMCA.

I understand how Wolfe was able to DMCA craftbukkit.
Should probably edit your paragraph there, I found some grammar mistakes and one sentence that didn't make any sense. (Wolf released code under GPL which means the minecraft server from mojang must be provided)
09/06/2014 9:20 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
MIke1022
Afootpluto
MIke1022

How do you think they're going to distribute their work?

maybe fighting the claim?

They just said that won't.

"This decision is not one that has been made lightly, but is one which has been made based on a number of factors. Following extensive legal counsel and advice from our attorney we were presented with a number of options we could take, including issuing a series of DMCA counter notices which had been prepared. This morning an assembly of the extended Spigot team, including our forum moderators, developers and IRC staff took part in a vote to decide the appropriate course of action. I abstained from this vote, however the outcome was unanimous and we have decided not to issue this counter notice, and instead take down the allegedly infringing material. It is by taking these steps, we believe, that the Spigot project stands the best chance of continuing to operate long into the future."

SpigotWe will keep on developing and we will keep on fighting.
09/06/2014 9:17 pm
Quanto__
Afootpluto
MIke1022

They just said that won't.

"This decision is not one that has been made lightly, but is one which has been made based on a number of factors. Following extensive legal counsel and advice from our attorney we were presented with a number of options we could take, including issuing a series of DMCA counter notices which had been prepared. This morning an assembly of the extended Spigot team, including our forum moderators, developers and IRC staff took part in a vote to decide the appropriate course of action. I abstained from this vote, however the outcome was unanimous and we have decided not to issue this counter notice, and instead take down the allegedly infringing material. It is by taking these steps, we believe, that the Spigot project stands the best chance of continuing to operate long into the future."
09/06/2014 9:15 pm
Afootpluto
MIke1022

09/06/2014 9:13 pm
Quanto__
Read this?

Did you even read it?

I wish to make clear this is not the end for Spigot. We will keep on developing and we will keep on fighting. It is only a short matter of time before things will be sorted out. The Minecraft server community has not come this far over this many years to be killed by a single blow from a disgruntled developer.[/quote]

09/06/2014 9:09 pm
Afootpluto
MIke1022
Afootpluto
MIke1022I believe that the end has come for Minecraft mass modded multiplayer. Bukkit and Spigot are both dead, neither are no longer open source because of a DMCA claim made by an enraged developer, neither have decided to fight the claims, the Bukkit Team no longer exists, and neither Bukkit nor Spigot are downloadable. If you don't believe me, check the websites for both projects.

There are few options.

One is to build up a project known as "Glowstone". It's a new server API platform, but very, very, incomplete.

Another is to wait for the official API, and see what happens.

Spigot is fighting the claims.

Read this?

Did you even read it?

I wish to make clear this is not the end for Spigot. We will keep on developing and we will keep on fighting. It is only a short matter of time before things will be sorted out. The Minecraft server community has not come this far over this many years to be killed by a single blow from a disgruntled developer.
09/06/2014 9:06 pm
Afootpluto
MIke1022
Azie
MIke1022I believe that the end has come for Minecraft mass modded multiplayer. Bukkit and Spigot are both dead, neither are no longer open source because of a DMCA claim made by an enraged developer...

Please don't spread misinformation.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mojang ... ct.309715/

Read the posts after that. Who is going to keep it alive?

Maybe dinnerbone? He said he will make sure that it is updated to 1.8.
09/06/2014 9:06 pm
Quanto__
Afootpluto
MIke1022I believe that the end has come for Minecraft mass modded multiplayer. Bukkit and Spigot are both dead, neither are no longer open source because of a DMCA claim made by an enraged developer, neither have decided to fight the claims, the Bukkit Team no longer exists, and neither Bukkit nor Spigot are downloadable. If you don't believe me, check the websites for both projects.

There are few options.

One is to build up a project known as "Glowstone". It's a new server API platform, but very, very, incomplete.

Read this?

09/06/2014 9:04 pm
Quanto__
Azie
MIke1022I believe that the end has come for Minecraft mass modded multiplayer. Bukkit and Spigot are both dead, neither are no longer open source because of a DMCA claim made by an enraged developer...

Read the posts after that. Who is going to keep it alive?
09/06/2014 9:00 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie

09/06/2014 8:59 pm
Afootpluto

There are few options.

Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome